Should I start solids?

Justin and Linda Williams

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
My 4 month old son (jeez, can't believe it's been that long already!)
used to sleep through the night (yep, that's me of "my 3 month old
sleeps through the night" fame!), but he seems to be waking about 2 or
3 times a night now. He'll go down at any time between 7 and 9 pm,
and then wake up at anywhere between 2 to 4 am for a feed, after which
he'll go back to sleep for about 2 hours (if I'm lucky), and then want
to eat again, and then he may wake again at about 6 am. I don't mind
this scheduling, but I'm worried that he's not getting enough food in,
and that's why he's waking up. BUT he is also teething, so could it
be that that's waking him up, or is it time to start solids?

His weight was 9,15 kg (about 20 lbs) about 3 weeks ago, but I'm not
sure what it is now - I am going to the clinic tomorrow to weigh him,
and I was going to ask the clinic sister about solids, but I figured
that even if she said he should start solids, I would still follow my
own nose, esp. if you guys back me up, and say no to solids!

Thanks in advance
Linda

Mr. Brian J. Preston

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
to Justin and Linda Williams
Hi! Here are some helpful links: How to tell if baby is ready for
solids:http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/3490/ready-solids.html

and why it's best to delay solids:
http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/solidfood.html
Hope this helps! Danette

bjpind.vcf

Charles Malone

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Thanks for these links Danette, very interesting. I followed them to the
Nestle boycott info..Now there's a whole other thread.. I'll report back
when I've read it all.
Beverley

Gomalone

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Some guidelines we use in our breastfeeding center are:

Baby has a increased demand to nurse, not related to illness, teething etc.
Baby has last the tongue thrust reflex (where you put the food in and it
comes back out)
Baby can sit with little or no support
Baby can pick up foods with his fingers (pincer grasp reflex)
Baby shows interests in your food when you eat meals

Most babies do not reach these criteria until they are 6 months old I have
had one baby at 4 months be truly ready though.
Justin and Linda Williams <j...@iafrica.com> wrote in message

Attachment Parent

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Hi Linda,
He will let you know when he's ready for solids. Just because he is
waking again in the night doesn't mean he's not getting enough to eat or
that he needs to start solids. Sometimes babies go through growth spurts
and need those extra feedings.

He is still getting everything he needs through your milk. If he's 20
pounds and he's just 4 months old, I'd say he's doing fine. Just keep
trusting your instincts.
Don't expect him to sleep through the night all the time. For one thing
babies have totally different sleep patterns than adults. They don't
stay in that deep sleep for very long, they kind of bob back and forth
between light sleep and deep sleep. Babies wake for all sorts of reasons
and yes teething is one of them. It sounds as if you're doing a great
job. Don't worry about starting solids now, as you mentioned, time flies
so fast and they grow at such a fast rate. Cherish this time. Don't rush
it :-) Take care!!
Warmly,
Amy Edwards (APmom)
Tandem nursing Mommy to Joshua (22 months) and Uriah (10 weeks)

The Pratts

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Maybe your son is beginning to start teething. My daughter, Elizabeth
(now 17 months old), started to wake up in the night when she was
teething and having a growth spurt. She would not start solids until
almost 15 months old and she is healthy. Hang in there!
Barbara

eriqu...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:05:43 AM8/2/18
Teething in babies refers to the appearance of the first teeth through the gums of the baby. The way baby's teeth differs to a great extent which is why it is important to know all about teething so that you can offer your child every comfort while he/she is teething. Babies usually start teething at the age of 6 months. The process may, however, begin as soon as 3 months and may get as delayed as 12 months. The first teeth to appear are the lower front ones (also known as incisors), followed by the appearance of top two middle ones and then the ones on the side and back. The order is not strictly followed, though. The complete set of primary teeth, consisting of 20 teeth, appears by the age of 3 years. The permanent teeth start coming in at the age of 6 years.

For more on teething and simple steps to help relieve the discomfort associated with teething in babies, click the link below :)

http://www.best4babyandmom.com/article6.shtml
http://www.best4babyandmom.com/teething.php