Anyone Use Naltrexone?

Dave Duggins

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
I would like any information anyone has on the use of Naltrexone to
control severe assaultive and self-abusive behavior in autistics. I
would especially appreciate any first hand, personal experience in this
area. Thanks for your help.
Best Regards
Dave

Alwyn

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
In article <3973A23E...@bellsouth.net>, Dave Duggins
<zeu...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Naltrexone is an opiate antagonist. It was developed to combat narcotic
addiction and is now widely touted as helping to reduce the craving for
alcohol in those addicted to that substance.

Some people believe that people with autism have an excess of opioids in
the body and that they indulge in self-hurting behaviour because the
physical pain involved increases the secretion of endorphins, opioid
substances manufactured in the body. The reasoning goes that if the
opioid receptors are blocked by naltrexone, self-hurt will result in no
satisfaction and will therefore stop.

In practice, naltrexone treatment for autistic people who hurt
themselves has been something of a disappointment. It works for some,
but then it stops working after a while. Others have found that its
undesirable effects, like headache, nausea, dizziness, tiredness,
insomnia, anxiety or sleepiness, are impossible to live with.

I honestly think it's worth trying, though, for somebody who seems to be
at continual risk from self-harm.

Alwyn

shaun...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2020, 4:38:43 PM4/19/20
Does anyone use this drug for mcs and es would be interested to know if it stops the fight and flight response and I have started on liquid but seems to make the above horrfic can I top and start after my first five days been using 1ml I was told it would make me feel worseto start with but almost make me want kill myself