Glucosamine/Chrondroitin=Depression

Twhope

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

I took a Glucosamine/Chrondoitin for two months and had a mild depression side
affect. I wonder if anyone else had that result. I am no longer taking it. Any
suggestions?

WTCRANE1

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Twhope-

You may want to report this adverse reaction to the glucosamine/chondroitin
information clearinghouse that Dr. Theodosakis has created at his website. He
is trying to build a database of people's experiences with these supplements.
Because these aren't prescription drugs, there is no adverse reaction reporting
mechanism through the manufacturer, so Dr. Theo has started this database to
try and collect the information.

The address is WWW.DRTHEO.COM

I know that Harv frequents this site in his quest for arthritis info!

You might also want to notify the manufacturer of the supplements.

Rajbhusah

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

I have ben taking Glucosamine Sulphate for the past 2 months (3 tablets) every
day. I have not experienced any side effects as of now though it has not any
good sofar to my arthiritis pain. I do not know how long do i need to take this
medication. How is Glucosamine Chrondroitin different from Glucosamine
Sulphate?

Rajan

charlotte le fleur

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

I think the recommended dosage is 3 tablets 2x daily. Glucosamine Chrondroitin is
a combination of glucosamine hcl and chrondroitin sulfate.
Charlotte Le Fleur

Cushman

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Tw -

I've never heard of this one before, and I've discussed the
effects of Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate ("G/CS") with a
lot of people. For me, the effect was the opposite.
Getting my knees, and my active outdoor life that had gone
with them, back lifted me out of the depression losing them
had put me in. I'd say if you want to continue on the
supplements, try switching brands. Also, what dosage were
you taking? I've taken the widely-distributed NOW brand
for the past 13 months, for instance, and liked it fine.
I am going to switch to the Schiff-mfgr'd "Pain Free" brand
soon though because it cuts my cost from $2/day to $1/day.

I suppose it's possible the supplements triggered some
hormonal imbalance or something, but my guess is that it is
more likely that it was coincidental, or that you got a bum
batch. Considering what G/CS did for me, I'd hate to see
anyone with serious OA not take it. NSAIDs can trash
your liver and/or kidneys, among other things (8,000 people
die each year in this country from complications with them,
I read not too long ago). G/CS is the ONLY thing I know
of that can halt the degeneration of OA. At least, it sure
as heck did for me and a lot of people.

Hope this helped a bit.

Cush.

Aside to Group: Because so many knowledgeable people are
now saying that Glucosamine Hydrochloride works as well, or
better, than Glucosamine Sulfate, I'm going to use the
shorthand "G/CS" from now on. Sorry for the confusion.
The trail to the kingdom of ultimate knowledge is not
well-flagged.

Twhope wrote in message
<199804251135...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Cushman

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Raj -

Three tablets how big? I've seen GS tablets or capsules in
every size from 100 mg to 1,000 mg. Most are either 500 mg
or 750 mg. If you are under 200 lbs, the recommended
dosage is 1,500 mg/day. You're probably taking the right
dosage, or close enough, but I didn't want to assume
anything.

Also, have you read _The Arthritis Cure_? I highly
recommend it if you're going to take the supplements. The
authors stress repeatedly that GS is only PART of the cure.
There are other supplements you probably need to take with
them, and diet and exercise are as important as the
supplements.

Glucosamine comes either as Glucosamine Sulfate, Glucosamine
Hydrochloride, or in a couple of other less common forms.
Either is supposed to work fine. Chondroitin refers to
Chondroitin Sulfate. It is completely different from any
form of Glucosamine. Most advocates of the supplements
agree we should take both, that is, Glucosamine and
Chondroitin. "Glucosamine-Chondroitin" is just the
short-hand notation, since the two are usually taken
together.

Hope this helped a bit.

Cush.

Rajbhusah wrote in message
<199804251629...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Cushman

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Char -

You're going to have to be more careful if you're going to
give folks advice. 1,000 mg tablets are common, and
taking 6,000 mg/day would not be a good idea at all. 750
mg tablets are the most common size, and 6 of those is still
way too much.

Cush.

charlotte le fleur wrote in message
<6ht3d9$g...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

charlotte le fleur

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Sorry----wont happen again Char Le
Fleur

de...@ankhmorork.saw.rwth-aachen.de

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

In article <199804251135...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

twh...@aol.com (Twhope) writes:
> I took a Glucosamine/Chrondoitin for two months and had a mild depression side
> affect. I wonder if anyone else had that result. I am no longer taking it. Any
> suggestions?

Hi!
Glucosamine sulfate is prescribed as a drug in Germany. It's on the market
for a long time, but the only known side effects are light
stomach/intestine troble and mild skin reactions, nothing about depression.
So taking glucosamine alone should be a safe bet. As for interactions with
other drugs, not much is known.

CU
Stefan

Eduard Kovalets

Aug 17, 2020, 7:43:19 PM8/17/20
On Saturday, April 25, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Twhope wrote:
> I took a Glucosamine/Chrondoitin for two months and had a mild depression side
> affect. I wonder if anyone else had that result. I am no longer taking it. Any
> suggestions?
same results event after a few days usage - 3-5 - 2 tablets a day (instead of 3).