Bad Bad AOL

1 view

Maybull2

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
5 out of the last 6 days, I have been unable to get here. I have AOL 5.0. It
would log in and then just sit there, not allowing me to access newsgroups, or
even to read my mail.
Today, I had the bright idea of trying to get on with 4.0 and BINGO! Here I
am. Any long time AOL users out there have any idea whats happening or where
in AOL I should report this?

thanks guys
Char
Char Le Fleur

AChrist787

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Char, there is a technical conflict between AOL 4.0 and 5.0. If you have both
of them on your computer it may be what's causing the problems. I took one
look at 5.0, decided I hated it and dumped it off my computer and defragged
immediately. You need to pick one or the other and stick with it.

Anne

Choboco5

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
>You need to pick one or the other and stick with it.
I just went to AOL Techhelp online to ask a question and she told me NOT to
remove AOL 4 in case AOL5 crashes or has a problem. Geez! That makes me feel
safe with AOL5. I have had it for about 3 weeks and was going to remove AOL4
for the space, but now don't know what to do. Char, what did you do to finally
get your problem fixed? :O) Lynn

Lady Andy2

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
I never remove an old version of AOL until I have been using the new one for
many months without problem. I know others who still have aol 3.0 for their
power tools, 4.0 for the colors and stuff, and are afraid to try 5.0.

The word I have heard is that earlier versions (ALL of them) are not Y2K
compliant. Only 5.0 is supposed to be Y2K compliant, which is why they are
pushing it so hard. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do intend to
keep my 4.0 for a long time before I delete it.

You can indeed keep multiple versions of AOL and just sign onto the one you
like for the particular applications you wish to use.

As to reporting the bug, go to Keywd: upgrade and you will find a link to the
message boards. There is a folder there for feedback. There is also a link
for one-on-one help that will get you to a live person to report it if you
wish; you may also ask questions there.

Best regards,
LadyAndy2 in Los Angeles, CA (remove "nospam" to reply)

Choboco5

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
> I don't know if this is true or not, but I do intend to
>keep my 4.0 for a long time before I delete it.

The AOL tech told me today that only AOL 5 was Y2K compliant. I guess I will
keep AOL 4 around for a while until it's safe to keep AOL5! What do you like
better about AOL 4? Thanks for the info!! :O) Lynn

Ifish2b

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
>5 out of the last 6 days, I have been unable to get here. I have AOL 5.0.
>It
>would log in and then just sit there,

Mine did that Friday morning. I just chalked it up to heavy holiday usage.
Remember the days when AOL was impossible to get on?

Sarah L

"Friends are those people who know the words to the song in your heart and sing
them back to you when you have forgotten the words." (unattributed)

Maybull2

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Sure do. I left for over a year. But I got on with 4.0 and my 5.0 STILL
doesnt work.
I think I am just going to dump the 5.0 til they get the bugs worked out.

Char

Maybull2

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
>e, but now don't know what to do. Char, what did you do to finally
>get your problem fixed? :O) Lynn

Started using AOL 4.0. I think I am going to dump 5.0 til they get the bugs
out.

Char

Maybull2

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

>As to reporting the bug, go to Keywd: upgrade and you will find a link to
>the
>message boards. There is a folder there for feedback. There is also a link
>for one-on-one help that will get you to a live person to report it if you
>wish; you may also ask questions there.

Went to both places. The person told me to go to system response. At System
Responce you can only list ONE thing it wont do. I have a laundry list.
Just gonna use 4.0 till they get the bugs out of 5.0

char

Gwen Love

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
I went to 5.0 the first time I saw it mentioned and have had no trouble at all
with it. (Knock on wood!)

Gwen L.
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Choboco5

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
>I went to 5.0 the first time I saw it mentioned and have had no trouble at all
with it>

Did you remove AOL 4? :O) Lynn

CatsEwe2

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
I've had the same problems as you all. I want to keep 4.0 just in case I need
it - but 5.0 seems to have trouble w/newsgroups. This morning was easy to
access newsgroups; last night, it was impossible.
AnneM in NC

Robt pace

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
I had problems with 5.0 too which I downloaded. When I got a 5.0 CD and
over-wrote the downloaded version, my problems disappeared.
Often, downloaded files & programs can have a few bumps, blurbs, static that
can cause problems.
Bob

Fire Chief

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Lady Andy2 wrote:

LA> The word I have heard is that earlier versions (ALL of them) are not
LA> Y2K compliant. Only 5.0 is supposed to be Y2K compliant, which is why
LA> they are pushing it so hard. I don't know if this is true or not, but
LA> I do intend to keep my 4.0 for a long time before I delete it.

The ___ONLY___ reason any program would not be Y2K compliant is
if it does number crunching with regard to dates - like a bank
or Social Security. There is absolulety no reason a communication
program such as AOL should be concerned whether it's 1776 or 2000.

A gal in Los Angeles received an advertisement from a publisher
praising its new Zip Code directory for being Y2K compliant.

"Los Angeles" magazine is "proud to report that, after over
2 years of hard work, we are Y2K compliant".

... Flying Saucer Oil Change & Lube #1
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
---
| WarpGate: Fire Chief 52:1000/211
| Internet: fire....@warpgate.com
| The WarpGate Network Internet Gateway El Cajon, CA.

Choboco5

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
>When I got a 5.0 CD and
>over-wrote the downloaded version, my problems disappeared.

Where did you get the CD? Thanks! Lynn :O) And did you remove your old AOL 4?

Gwen Love

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
No, I didn't remove AOL 4 completely, Just put it in recycle bin. Gwen L.

Mid101074

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I have both 4.0 and 5.0 and haven't had any problems...so far anyway.

Sue

John1walkr

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
<< Any long time AOL users out there have any idea whats happening or where
in AOL I should report this? >>

Hi Char. I was one of the early AOL users and loved it then. But as the
service has grown it has grown more and more like a drunken elephant (doesn't
that paint a picture?) With each new upgrade or bell that you must have you
end up using up more ram and twice as much patience. I've decided that I
should collect all 32 or so disks they've sent me over the past five years and
set fire to them. It won't help my computer but it'll make me feel much better
:-)

God bless,
John Walker
Have a Y2K compliant beard ( :-{ ) >

JU JUTSO

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
"I had problems with 5.0 too which I downloaded. When I got a 5.0 CD and

over-wrote the downloaded version, my problems disappeared."

What does AOL5.0 have that AOL4.0 does not have?

John
http://hometown.aol.com/jujutso/trade.html

Choboco5

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
>When I got a 5.0 CD and
>over-wrote the downloaded version, my problems disappeared.

Where did you get the CD? Did you remove your old AOL 4? :O) Lynn

(Sorry, if this is posted twice. I replied about 2 hours ago and it hasn't
ever come up on the posts for me yet....Bad, Bad AOL!)

GASNER

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
>Subject: Re: Bad Bad AOL
>From: john1...@aol.com (John1walkr)
>Date: Mon, 29 November 1999 11:13 PM EST

Fire/plastic pollutes. Now if you were a regular on sci.phys.relativity (or
perhaps if you were a close friend of Martha Stewart who supports recycling
things???) you would know that 5 to 10 seconds in a microwave oven puts a very
pleasing pattern onto the shiny side. Fun to watch while it is happening, too.

Earl
gas...@aol.com

Maybull2

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I over wrote my online downloaded version, from a CD and I am still having the
same problems.
Char

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya'. We're all in this together." Red Green

Maybull2

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
The CD came in the mail from AOL. I'll bet you have friends with them. Or
pick one up free at any computer store.

Maybull2

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
LOL Gonna have to try that microwave trick.

Tina Underwood

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
My two cents! I have AOL 5.0 and am pretty pleased with it. No major problems!

Keep Smilin'
~krissy
-------------------------
Akron, Ohio
Senior Editor
http://www.arthritiswebsite.com

Bbaylarry

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
In article <19991129191510...@ng-cp1.aol.com>, chob...@aol.com
(Choboco5) writes:

>Where did you get the CD? Thanks! Lynn :O) And did you remove your old AOL
>4?

Got mine at Best Buy. They had a boxful. Same with Circuit City. And, yes, I
removed AOL 4.0 the day after I installed 5.0. I've not had any problems of
any sort.

Best,
Larry

Maybull2

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Krissy-Whats your secret? Just checked my 5.0 again and it still isnt working
and the "support" people at AOL are no damn help. GGGGGRRRRRRRR

Tina Underwood

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
>Krissy-Whats your secret? Just checked my 5.0 again and it still isnt
>working
>and the "support" people at AOL are no damn help. GGGGGRRRRRRRR

Pure luck I guess Char! I just downloaded it and installed it for my Dad, we
shall see how it works for him.

Gwen Love

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Char, I guess you're just not living right.
Some of us are and our AOL 5.0 works perfectly!!!!!

Gwen Love

Maybull2

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
how do you give somebody the raspberry on the internet?
LOL

Diane Abell

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
In article <19991129231316...@ng-cq1.aol.com>,
john1...@aol.com says...
>...snip... I've decided that I

> should collect all 32 or so disks they've sent me over the past five years and
> set fire to them. It won't help my computer but it'll make me feel much better
> :-)
>
> God bless,
> John Walker
> Have a Y2K compliant beard ( :-{ ) >

No, no, no...... save 'em. They make good coasters.
--
Di
dabell at access1 dot net

Fire Chief

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
John Walker wrote:

> I've decided that I should collect all 32 or so disks they've sent
> me over the past five years and set fire to them. It won't help my
> computer but it'll make me feel much better :-)

However John, if you did do that, you wouldn't have any coasters
for visitors' drinks.

... I'd count my blessings, but I'm no good at fractions.

JU JUTSO

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
"Hi Char. I was one of the early AOL users and loved it then. But as the
service has grown it has grown more and more like a drunken elephant (doesn't
that paint a picture?) With each new upgrade or bell that you must have you
end up using up more ram and twice as much patience. I've decided that I

should collect all 32 or so disks they've sent me over the past five years and
set fire to them. It won't help my computer but it'll make me feel much better
:-)"

Hey I still got a DOS version of AOL.
AOL version 1.6
LOL....

The only upgrade I really want is a secretary to read and surf for me.

John
http://hometown.aol.com/jujutso/trade.html

Maybull2

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

>Hey I still got a DOS version of AOL.
> AOL version 1.6
>LOL....

LOL That may be a collectors item.

Xcaliper

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
I have a hard time believing anyone still uses AOL
after the kind of dirty tricks they used to rip
people off. And as far as I.E. goes, YUCK !! 3rd
rate browser, I'll stick with Netscape thanks.
But for all those floppies and cd's that arrive in
the mail, here's a site that'll help:
http://www.earthplaza.com/aoldisks/
Cheers,
Roger

Raven Tompkins

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to Diane Abell
Put'em in the microwave if you really want to have some fun!

Raven

Diane Abell wrote:

> >...snip... I've decided that I

> > should collect all 32 or so disks they've sent me over the past five years and
> > set fire to them. It won't help my computer but it'll make me feel much better
> > :-)

Fire Chief

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Char wrote and asked:

> how do you give somebody the raspberry on the internet?

Depends.....red raspberry or black raspberry? <g>

... Catastrophe: Taxidermist mounted the wrong end of the lion.

AChrist787

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
> Char wrote and asked:
>
> > how do you give somebody the raspberry on the internet?

Anne

Harvey R. Stone

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99

lolololo thats it.