alternatives to hydroxychloroquine?

metalmania

Jan 19, 2003, 2:00:37 PM1/19/03
I have been on hydroxychloroquine 200 mg a day for 2 years and had seen
improvements but recently I did a little research on it and saw some of the
side effects it can have in long term including vision problems.
My pain has been coming back more too lately so I was looking into trying
something else anyway.

I am allergic to aspirin and sulfur based medicines. found that out 2 years
ago with a reaction to sulfasalizine and asprin and developed hives and a
swelling of the eyelids and lips and throat.

I am wondering if there is something out there that others have taken that
could help out that doesn't have side effects like vision, hair loss, etc ?

Also does body size come into play in arthritis? I am male, 5' 7", 115
pounds

I am looking to start a weightlifting program if it will help out in the
joint pain reduction.

I want to get some info before I see my doctor in 3 weeks and am scouring
the internet for anything that can help

Also, does glucosamine chondroitin actually help in rebuilding the
cartilageand lubrication?

thanks for any help.

Caroline Marold

Jan 19, 2003, 1:32:13 PM1/19/03
Hope that doctor you are seeing is a Rheumatologist [RD]. He will have
the best answers for you.
You did not say what kind of arthritis you have which makes a huge
difference in the kind of medicine which will do your body any good.
Here are two good sites with information which is accurate:
http://arthritisinsight.com/
http://www.arthritis.co.za/
If you are not seeing a RD but just a pcp, request a referral at the
time of your next appointment. Early treatment, depending on the
disease, will stop or slow joint damage.
I changed the subject headed as we have a spammer who is very interested
in one type of metal and I thought he had morffed to a different name.
Just wanted those who might skip your post because of that to give it a
look. You might consider using a different screen name. :)
As to weight lifting, ask the doctor. You may have to start as small as
10 pounds [me at 1 pound]. You don't want to do more damage. So I would
wait on that one.
Stay away from Celebrex [another NSAID] as it too is sulfur based.
Duckie

David Elfstrom

Jan 19, 2003, 7:09:38 PM1/19/03
"metalmania" <metal...@attbi.com> wrote in

> I am allergic to aspirin and sulfur based medicines. found that out 2
> years ago with a reaction to sulfasalizine and asprin and developed
> hives and a swelling of the eyelids and lips and throat.
>
> I am wondering if there is something out there that others have taken
> that could help out that doesn't have side effects like vision, hair
> loss, etc ?

You didn't mention what type of arthritis you have.

First, you should be seeing a rheumatologist.

There, now with that out of the way, you might want to consider enzyme
therapy. Wobenzyme-N (do a google search) is apparently the best. I've
been researching this, and I just started taking it today.
SupplementWatch.com, an honest and critical site has a good review:
http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=109

We'll see how well it does. I have psoriatic arthritis, but Wobenzyme is
useful for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and joint injuries.

In addition, if you have other allergies, you might get added benefit
from enzymes. I have heard (but not seen in print) a reference to a study
with very high doses of the enzyme pancreatin where subjects who had
severe allergies to certain foods were able to eat said foods without a
reaction. Again, this was just word of mouth, and I haven't searched for
it, so don't necessarily believe it.

> Also does body size come into play in arthritis? I am male, 5' 7",
> 115 pounds

People of all ages, colors, shapes and sizes get it. There is a sex
difference for some types of arthritis. For example, more women tend to
get rheumatoid arthritis, more men tend to get the spondylarthropic types
of arthritis.

> I am looking to start a weightlifting program if it will help out in
> the joint pain reduction.

Yes, it should. If you do everything involved in proper training
(especially including changing your diet) you'll make good gains and your
body will be healthier. Check out
http://www.t-mag.com/ for some excellent articles. There's a lot to learn
there. Again, talk with your doctor. If you're just starting out, you
should spend the money on a personal trainer who can make sure you do the
exercises correctly and devise a specific program for you. A good
personal trainer will improvise exercises to accomodate your particular
needs as someone with arthritis. I highly recommend weight training; it
changed my life.

> I want to get some info before I see my doctor in 3 weeks and am
> scouring the internet for anything that can help
>
> Also, does glucosamine chondroitin actually help in rebuilding the
> cartilageand lubrication?

Quite possibly. It can't hurt, and the price of glucosamine has fallen as
more and more is sold. It's reasonably inexpensive, I say go for it; tell
your doctor though.

David Elfstrom

metalmania

Jan 19, 2003, 7:40:21 PM1/19/03
thank you for all the info. I am gonna do some research on what you listed
David.

metalmania

Jan 19, 2003, 7:42:09 PM1/19/03
oops, by the way I am seeing a rheumatologist and he sais it was variant
arthritis.

Donnah

Jan 19, 2003, 8:01:37 PM1/19/03
Dave, I visited the site and found it to be up to date. I've been
into supplements for about a year...if I miss even a few days I
feel the difference immediately
Thank you for the site! Donnah

Mary Z

Jan 19, 2003, 7:51:35 PM1/19/03
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:00:37 GMT, "metalmania" <metal...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>I am looking to start a weightlifting program if it will help out in the
>joint pain reduction.
>
>I want to get some info before I see my doctor in 3 weeks and am scouring
>the internet for anything that can help
>
>Also, does glucosamine chondroitin actually help in rebuilding the
>cartilageand lubrication?

Plaquinel (hydro...chroloquine) is the safest and mildest drugs
available as a Disease Modifying Anti-rheumatic Drug (DMARD). The
vision problems are extremely rare and they will stop the medication
if it starts to affect the eyes. The RA is much worse than the
potential side affects of the drugs. I tried many supplements but
they did not work and you may cause more damage if your RA is not
controlled. Talk to your Rheumatologist about your meds and focus on
the disease not the potential side effects of drugs.

Glucosamine is good for Osteoarthritis arthritis but there is not much
evidence it works for RA. Weight lifting without having your disease
under control will not help reduce joint pain, and it will likely
increase it. Getting the disease under control is the key. All the
other DMARDs also have potentially serious side affects but
fortunately the more serious ones are extremely rare.
Try these links:
http://www.arthritis.co.za/
http://arthritisinsight.com/

Visit my website:
http://www.mzuschlag.com

Donnah

Jan 19, 2003, 8:03:49 PM1/19/03
p.s....what exactly is the Wobenzyme-N ? I didn't check that one
out.
donnah

David Elfstrom

Jan 19, 2003, 11:54:42 PM1/19/03
Donnah <infe...@mail.bellsouth.net> wrote in

> p.s....what exactly is the Wobenzyme-N ? I didn't check that one
> out.
> donnah

It's a blend of enzymes, in an enteric coated pill to keep it away from
your stomach acid until it reaches your intestines.

This page describes enzymes and suggests Wobenzym in particular, because
it's the only product that has been proven in clinical trials:

http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=109

And of course there's always Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Wobenzym+rheumatoid+arthritis

David Elfstrom

Harvey R. Stone

Jan 20, 2003, 9:40:30 AM1/20/03
Well said Mary and it covered all the bases. Plaq. is a good starter
drug to find out how the body reacts in dealing with the immune system
but then its time bring out the DMARDs that do the job for most of us.
I do not think that weight exercise is a good idea for someone with
inflam.arth that is out of shape. Water exercise, stretching and motion
exercise are a good way to get started without doing too much damage to
a persons soft body.
Harv

metalmania

Jan 21, 2003, 12:48:28 AM1/21/03
thanks everyone for the help here. I am gonna talk with my doctor and see
what we can come up with to help me out here.

Mary Z

Jan 22, 2003, 11:53:43 PM1/22/03
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:48:28 GMT, "metalmania" <metal...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>thanks everyone for the help here. I am gonna talk with my doctor and see
>what we can come up with to help me out here.

One last thought you might be interested in anti-biotic therapy (ABT).
Some folks that have had wonderful results from it. You might check
out this link:
http://www.roadback.org/
These folks tend to be feverous about ABT, not everyone believes in it
as strongly. It is effective for early RA there are some good
studies. It does take a while to become effective and some folks (like
me ) don't respond, but that is true of every DMARD. check it out
-- MZ

Andrei Bozau

Nov 12, 2020, 3:58:11 AM11/12/20
You can find hydroxychloroquine natural substitute here: https://www.mynaturaltreatment.com/natural-alternatives-to-hydroxychloroquine/