LONGEST KNOWN PALINDROME

Mark A. Parker

Sep 4, 1994, 8:30:01 PM9/4/94
In article <34a86o$q...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> a...@mail.ast.cam.ac.uk (Ale
Terlevich) writes:

> Here's one I tossed off earlier this morning:-

deleted

> Ale.

did it wrong. it doesn't end with "s"

Mark A. Parker

Sep 4, 1994, 8:31:01 PM9/4/94

> Here's one I tossed off earlier this morning:-

deleted for space considerations... goddam news
reader refuses to post unless I say more than I quote you
on

> Ale.

did it wrong. it doesn't end with "s"

Dom'ny

Jenine Abarbanel

Sep 5, 1994, 4:31:24 PM9/5/94
In article <34amgr$4...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca> sho...@uoguelph.ca writes:
>Ale Terlevich (a...@mail.ast.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Here's one I tossed off earlier this morning:-
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Ick.. :)
>Scotty

for the 100th time:

stupid, one-line follow-ups - CHECK
smiley - CHECK
lame nickname - CHECK

ah, yes, fall is in the air, and it's time to hit
the open road. don't ya'll worry, i'll handle it.
'got a backpack full of copies of the t.b FAQ and
a fully loaded nailgun. all those smooth little
freshman foreheads can be looking forward to a little
visit.

j.j, because an anvil is just too subtle

Dave Polewka

Sep 7, 1994, 1:13:43 AM9/7/94

Wil...@genius.demon.co.uk (William Tunstall-Pedoe) says:

>> Now. Please shove the palindromes up your ass. -- anagram
>> *Down*, Mrs. Hovanes! Please phase out your piles!
>>
>How about...
>Whoopee! adventurous leprosy salesmanship.
>[...]
>Unsupervised phantoms whoopee sorely alas.

William Tunstall-Pedoe -- anagram
**************************************
I'm a dull wit, Nello. A pest.
*************************************

--
=======================
"Endeavor to persevere"

da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at

Sep 8, 1994, 7:20:58 AM9/8/94
al...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Dave Polewka) writes:

>IN EMAIL, da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at (Dipped in Chickenshit) says:

>>Please don't post anagrams to alt.tasteless
>>
>>Subject: Martial Law FAQ - Weekly Posting

>IT'S AN ALTERNATIVE NEWSGROUP, DILLHOLE!! THAT MEANS ONE
>CAN POST WHATEVER THE FUCK ONE WANTS!!!!! FOB OFF!!

a) Please do not post personal email to any newsgroups.

b) Don't SHOUT.

c) Read the fucking netiquette and Newbie Behaviour files.

d) Read the goddamn alt.tasteless Mini-FAQ I mailed you.

e) Delete at least some of the lines you're replying to.

f) Yes, theoretically, you can post whatever you want. If you enjoy being
thought of as a newbie idiot, a stupid wanker, a complete and utter moron,
then please do continue posting like this. If you enjoy being mailbombed or
if you don't know what mailbombing is, do go ahead and follow up to this
message with yet another stupid two-sentence reply.

g) If you want to write "FUCK", do so for fuck's sake. "Fob off" makes you
look like a worse wanker than Caldwell was.

h) Please don't post the Palindrome thread to alt.tasteless

dave

Dave Polewka

Sep 8, 1994, 2:14:05 AM9/8/94

IN EMAIL, da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at (Dipped in Chickenshit) says:

>Please don't post anagrams to alt.tasteless
>
>Subject: Martial Law FAQ - Weekly Posting

> WELCOME TO ALT.TASTELESS
>
>Hints on posting here:
>
>Find out what you're doing before you start. The consequences
>might be rather terrible if you fuck up. But don't worry, we
>always welcome new fine posters to our group. You might even
>have something to add to our eternal and wonderful discussion.
>
>You will know that when you know the group. A quick and
>entertaining way to do this, is to read the FAQ. It's called
>"Welcome to alt.tasteless [Monthly Posting]" and is to be
>found somewhere in this group. If you can't find it, ask me to
>send it to you, and check out news.announce.newusers.
>
>Why this Martial Law FAQ:
>
>The level of noise, that is the amount of COMPLETELY USELESS
>STUPID CUNT CRAP postings by SMALL BRAINED WEENIES THAT ARE
>LOOKED DOWN UPON BY EVERY REAL MAN, have made reading
>alt.tasteless less pleasant than it should be. To counter
>this we've decided to hurt people who are out of line. With
>this weekly informative posting no-one can claim ignorance.
>Because after reading this you know that:
>
>1. You should've read the FAQ before posting.
>2. Bad behaviour == contentless "me too" or "I agree" postings
>(should have used email). Posts with many lines of attribution and a
>single word or line added agreeing or disagreeing. Simple, really.
>
>You are strongly encouraged not to waste our time. Darling,
>I'm biting you in the part of your scrotum closest to your
>arsehole. Don't mess with a band of testis suckers!!!
>
>In the words of Saint McAfee "Bandwidth is jealously guarded on a.t."
>
>Action: If you haven't read the FAQ, get it before you do anything
>else in alt.tasteless...it'll be the wisest thing for everyone
>concerned.
>
>Martial Law until further notice.

Please don't post anagrams to alt.tasteless -- anagram
Old Snapple, stale toast, men's teats, or a.t gas?

IT'S AN ALTERNATIVE NEWSGROUP, DILLHOLE!! THAT MEANS ONE
CAN POST WHATEVER THE FUCK ONE WANTS!!!!! FOB OFF!!

Dave Polewka

Sep 9, 1994, 9:08:10 AM9/9/94

da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at (Nik Conwell) says:

>If you enjoy being mailbombed or if you don't know what

>mailbombing is, do go ahead and follow up to this message.

HERE'S A MAN WHO'S THREATENING ME WITH MAILBOMBING,
WHATEVER THAT IS. IT DOESN'T SOUND NICE. IS IT?

Jesse the Punk

Sep 9, 1994, 10:31:23 AM9/9/94
In article <34pmo0$h...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

Yes. Yes it is. It's very, very nice.

--
"Where are we going?"
"PLANET TEN!" fli...@io.com

da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at

Sep 9, 1994, 12:24:04 PM9/9/94
al...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Dave Polewka) writes:
>da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at (Nik Conwell) says:

Please stop editing the attributions if you don't know what you are doing.
My name is David Skreiner.

>>If you enjoy being mailbombed or if you don't know what
>>mailbombing is, do go ahead and follow up to this message.

>HERE'S A MAN WHO'S THREATENING ME WITH MAILBOMBING,
>WHATEVER THAT IS. IT DOESN'T SOUND NICE. IS IT?

Nothing to do with explosives. Just means getting lots and lots and lots of
email. Not nice, but not dangerous except if your server runs out of space.

Anyway... again, a few hints. Please read them this time.

a) Please do not post personal email to any newsgroups.

Except if the originator of the message gives his/her consent,
don't post private email to newsgroups.

b) Don't SHOUT.

It is considered bad form to write in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

c) Read the netiquette and Newbie Behaviour files.

... they contain three vital rules, "Don't SHOUT", "Read the FGAQs",
and "Have fun"

Just to alleviate any worries you might have: I roar, but don't bite.
I don't mailbomb people either.

Should I say "Welcome to the net" now?

Welcome to the net, Dave.

dave

Keith Lewis

Sep 9, 1994, 1:47:31 PM9/9/94
da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at writes in article <david.675...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at> dated Fri, 9 Sep 1994 16:24:04 GMT:

>Welcome to the net, Dave.
>
>dave

IHNJH, IJLS "Welcome to the net, Dave."

--Keith Lewis kle...@mitre.org PGP key available.
.. pH balanced for your decisions, your life. -- Proctor & Gamble
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

lmerkel on BIX

Sep 10, 1994, 9:12:11 PM9/10/94
fli...@pentagon.io.com (Jesse the Punk) writes:

[stuff about mailbombing deleted as off-topic]

[cool .sig deleted to make room for my cool .sig]

The longest palindrome I know is the one where you ask a
Scotsman how they spot airplanes at a distance and he says:

"Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

-- Lee Merkel
// I'm sick of doubletalk. Let's call a manually operated soil-excavation
implement a hand-powered terrain-displacement device, OK? //

Spatch

Sep 10, 1994, 5:20:21 PM9/10/94

<da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:

>Welcome to the net, Dave.

Open .newsrc, Hal.

"Welcome to the net, Dave."

Go to alt.sex.fetish.supercomputers, Hal.

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that."

hee...

--
_____ spa...@twain.ucs.umass.edu
|\ /|
| O | "It's all right, there's a whole bunch of Picos and Alvaredos out there."
|/ \|

Joe Bay

Sep 11, 1994, 2:32:36 PM9/11/94
Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.

--
2) Avoid needless embarassment. Practice the correct pronunciation of your
god's name in the privacy of your room before chanting it in public. Flash

Balaji

Sep 11, 1994, 3:11:45 PM9/11/94
>Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.

A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, hero's rajahs, a coloratura, maps,
snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana
bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a
jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal, - Panama!
--
Balaji

To see the beauty of Laila, requires the eyes of Majnu.

Martin H. Booda

Sep 12, 1994, 8:29:33 AM9/12/94
In article <34prjr$i...@pentagon.io.com>, fli...@pentagon.io.com (Jesse the Punk) writes:

|> The longest palindrome I know is the one where you ask a
|> Scotsman how they spot airplanes at a distance and he says:
|>
|> "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Oh, I've heard Col. Blake say that many times.
--
"While we argued about who should, those that could, did."-Anon | USENET: Arti-
fact Creature,Casting Cost 1B. Summon Net. 10/2. Swampwalk,Trample,First Strike

Lupus Yonderboy

Sep 12, 1994, 10:24:34 PM9/12/94
Thus spake bo...@lynx.navo.navy.mil (Martin H. Booda):

>fli...@pentagon.io.com (Jesse the Punk) writes:
>|>
>|> The longest palindrome I know is the one where you ask a
>|> Scotsman how they spot airplanes at a distance and he says:
>|>
>|> "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
>
>Oh, I've heard Col. Blake say that many times.

Yeah... You know, the other day I was driving to my Psychic Posture
seminar and I saw this sign that said, "Speed Checked By Radar" and
sure enough, I look out my window and there was the little guy on
this mountain bike trying to pace me. He had his teddy bear in a
metal bike rack on the back too. The whole scene was so cute.

Anyway, I must have been going pretty fast (I didn't want to be
late!) because he kept signalling for me to slow down. He got all
antsy too. It was adorable. He was peddling and peddling and motioning
with his left hand to slow down. Just when I thought he was going
to run out of steam (it was on a downhill, but I was going pretty
quick I must admit) his second wind kicked in.

His legs were a blur, I couldn't believe how quick he accelerated!
He zipped around me on the right and actually had the guts to pull
out in front of me! I saw the teddy bear was wearing an old little
bear sized Army uniform. That Radar sure was a sweetie.

Anyway, he seemed pretty happy with himself -- and so would I had
I biked that quickly -- so he turned around with this triumphant
smile and firmly motioned me to stop. Unfortunately he stopped
pedaling when he turned around. The front bumper hit his back tire
throwing him WAY off balance. He tried his best recover, but ended
up losing it to the right.

He jumped clear of his bike, and a good thing too because it smacked
into this tree; broke into like three pieces too. Radar must have
skidding like 40 feet on the graval. I had slowed down by this point
so I parked a safe distance off the road and got the first aid kit
out of the trunk.

He was moaning and holding his left arm. Broken, but not compound.
Looked like a clean break. I washed off the dirt from the road rash
(he really should have been wearing a long sleeved shirt) on his
right arm and splinted the left.

I looked down at him (he was sitting up now, and crying) and said
something like "Boy, your bike sure got M*A*S*H*E*D didn't it?"
I chortled, trying to cheer him up but he just started crying
harder.

Nothing much else I could do, so I returned to the car and called
on the cellular for an ambulance.

I waved as I drove past him, but he didn't wave back. Oh well. You
know, now that I think about it, this isn't the first time this
has happened.

Maybe I should get one of those "Bikers, Share the Road" stickers
and put it on the front of my car.

-- L. Yonderboy
Don't think and drive

Tjames Madison

Sep 13, 1994, 12:10:02 AM9/13/94
Lupus Yonderboy (asu...@netcom.com) wrote:

>Yeah... You know, the other day I was driving to my Psychic Posture
>seminar and I saw this sign that said, "Speed Checked By Radar" and
>sure enough, I look out my window and there was the little guy on
>this mountain bike trying to pace me. He had his teddy bear in a
>metal bike rack on the back too. The whole scene was so cute.

Did you hit him with a fist-sized boulder? I would have.

>His legs were a blur, I couldn't believe how quick he accelerated!
>He zipped around me on the right and actually had the guts to pull
>out in front of me! I saw the teddy bear was wearing an old little
>bear sized Army uniform. That Radar sure was a sweetie.

And then you noticed that was no teddy bear -- it was a TEDDY-BEAR SIZED
TUMOR.

You know, if we could find some way to *bottle* Yonderboy, and then *sell
it*, we'd have...well...*several* more dollars than when we started.

tj "ask me about the time I ran Gary Coleman off the road" m
--

-tjm | October 12th - It's Time! Ask me for details
r o r - a l u c a r d

da...@htu.tu-graz.ac.at

Sep 13, 1994, 5:00:36 AM9/13/94
asu...@netcom.com (Lupus Yonderboy) writes:

>Anyway, I must have been going pretty fast (I didn't want to be
>late!) because he kept signalling for me to slow down. He got all
>antsy too. It was adorable. He was peddling and peddling and motioning
>with his left hand to slow down. Just when I thought he was going
>to run out of steam (it was on a downhill, but I was going pretty
>quick I must admit) his second wind kicked in.

Peddling, as in "peddling drugs"? On a bicycle? Wow.

Anyway, I must have been going pretty fast from all the Speed I'd taken a
few hours earlier. This guy kept motioning for me to slow down, he got all
nervous too. This was wonderful. He was peddling speed and Ecchies to some
of the geezers from the Old Folks' Home nearby, and kept peddling and
peddling and motioning to me with his left hand to slow the fuck _down_.

Just when I thought he was going to run out of steam, haggling with little
old ladies and huge old men who used arguments "Look, boy, a bottle of
morphine used to cost me less than one of these pills of yours when I was
still a doctor"... just at this time his second dose of PCP kicked in.

>His legs were a blur, I couldn't believe how quick he accelerated!
>He zipped around me on the right and actually had the guts to pull
>out in front of me! I saw the teddy bear was wearing an old little
>bear sized Army uniform. That Radar sure was a sweetie.

He'd been going pretty good before, but now he was a blur. I couldn't
believe how fast he was moving. He zipped around me and actually started
pulling the guts out of this old woman who'd refused to pay.

She was wearing a little-old-lady-sized Army uniform. My friend just reached
through it, stuck his hands into her abdomen to the wrist, wriggled his
fingers around and pulled. Now this I wasn't prepared for. Not such a nice
trip anymore now.

...and then the rush came. No, not the fat fat ugly fat right-winger blob,
but a rush of adrenaline and some other things, straight through my head and
I could feel it - this guy had done the only right thing. Euthanasia.

I turned to the Grampa next to me, put one hand on each side of his neck,
and twisted hard. Snap. Next!
Grab. Twist! Snap. Next!

My friend was getting into it seriously now, munching on some old bag's guts
while cackling hysterically and kicking the shit out of some already dead
old guy. I kept walking up to these old people, laughing at them, knowing
they really did want to die, feeling really helpful and compassionate.

*BOOM*.

My friend didn't even get to hear the shot anymore as his brain was
splattered over a 5-meter-diameter section of the Old Folks' Home. Then the
Voice from Hell said "FREEZE FUCKER" and I knew what I had to do, so I
turned and started walking towards the red-flashing Flames of Hell that had
miraculously appeared behind me, and the blue-clad demons there, and the
Voice said, even louder, "FREEZE FUCKER LAPD FREEZE COCKSUCKER OR WE KILL
YOU" and I was nearly at the first of the demons who was holding this long
stick out towards me and

(*click*)

dave

Alistair Brown

Sep 13, 1994, 11:49:28 AM9/13/94
bal...@nexus.yorku.ca (Balaji) writes:
>>Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.

>A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, hero's rajahs, a coloratura, maps,
>snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana
>bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a
>jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal, - Panama!

I seem to remember reading (probably in one of Martin Gardners books) that
someone wrote an entire book that was a palindrome.

Alistair
--
Email A.D....@bradford.ac.uk

Bob McHugh

Sep 13, 1994, 3:16:19 PM9/13/94
T. Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it
a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet.

.

Paul Rushizky

Sep 13, 1994, 10:22:20 PM9/13/94
From article <1994Sep13.1...@es.dupont.com>, by Bob McHugh <mchu...@chemsci1.es.dupont.com>:

> T. Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it
> a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet.

That's a pretty good one.

My dad taught me one once, although it's in German:
"Ein neger mit gazelle zagt im regen nie."
Which means something akin to "A black man with a gazelle never hesitates
in the rain."

Hmm... like English palindromes, they make very little sense, do they?

Paul Rushizky pa...@csd.uwm.edu

"The golf swing is like sex: you can't be thinking of the mechanics
of the act while you're doing it." -Dave Hill

richh

Sep 13, 1994, 10:04:06 PM9/13/94
In article <1994Sep13....@bradford.ac.uk> A.D....@bradford.ac.uk (Alistair Brown) writes:

>I seem to remember reading (probably in one of Martin Gardners books) that
>someone wrote an entire book that was a palindrome.

We all know; we all don't give a fuck.
Er, um, die.

RICHH

Jongpid SIRIRAT

Sep 13, 1994, 11:18:05 PM9/13/94
lmerkel on BIX (lme...@BIX.com) wrote:

: fli...@pentagon.io.com (Jesse the Punk) writes:

: [stuff about mailbombing deleted as off-topic]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:
: "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

:
: -- Lee Merkel
: // I'm (*sick*) of doubletalk. Let's call a manually operated soil-excavation

: implement a hand-powered terrain-displacement device, OK? //

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe you.............. :)

Daniel Beck

Sep 13, 1994, 11:40:59 PM9/13/94
In article <355mos...@uwm.edu>, pa...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu (Paul Rushizky) writes:
|> From article <1994Sep13.1...@es.dupont.com>, by Bob McHugh <mchu...@chemsci1.es.dupont.com>:
|> My dad taught me one once, although it's in German:
|> "Ein neger mit gazelle zagt im regen nie."
|> Which means something akin to "A black man with a gazelle never hesitates
|> in the rain."
|>
|> Hmm... like English palindromes, they make very little sense, do they?

I dunno... makes perfect sense to me. I hate it when my gazelle gets wet.
Nothing worse than the odor of wet gazelle... and have you ever tried
to get a gazelle to sit still under a hair dryer?

Andrew Rogers

Sep 12, 1994, 10:36:57 AM9/12/94
In article <balaji.7...@nexus.yorku.ca> bal...@nexus.yorku.ca (Balaji) writes:
>>Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.
>
>A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, hero's rajahs, a coloratura, maps,
>snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana
>bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a
>jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal, - Panama!

Jeez, doesn't anybody else have a copy of this list? I got it from
rec.humor.d in 1992; it's probably longer by now...

Andrew

A dog, a plan, a canal: pagoda.

Rats live on no evil star.

Straw, no, too stupid a fad, I put soot on warts.

I roamed under it as a tired, nude Maori.

Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo,
Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida,
Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina,
Lily, Arne, Betty, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl,
Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden,
Noel, and Ellen sinned.

A man, a plan, a canal -- Panama!

A man, a plan, a cat, a canal -- Panama!

A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal -- Panama!
Go deliver a dare, vile dog.

Doc note, I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

PALINDROMIC POEM:

Mood's mode!
Pallas, I won!
(Diaper pane, sold entire.)
Melt till ever sere, hide it.
Drown a more vile note;
(Tar of rennet.)
Ah, trowel, baton, eras ago.
The reward? A "nisi." Two nag.

Otary tastes putrid, yam was green.
Odes up and on; stare we.
Rats nod. Nap used one-erg saw.
(May dirt upset satyr?)

A toga now; 'tis in a drawer, eh?
Togas are notable.
(Worth a tenner for Ate`.)
Tone liver. O Man, word-tied I.

Here's revel!
Little merit, Ned? Lose, Nap?
Repaid now is all apedom's doom.

Tarzan raised a Desi Arnaz rat.

Able was I, ere I saw Elba!

If I had a hi-fi

A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, hero's, rajahs, a coloratura,

maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan,

a tag, a banana bag again, or: a camel, a crepe, pins, spam,
a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal -- Panama!

Here is some information about a few palindromes related to the one
you mention. As far as I know, the first person to put a cat in the
canal was Jim Saxe, in his 9 October 1983 plan file.

A man, a plan, a cat, a canal -- Panama?

Guy Jacobson added several items later that year.

A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal -- Panama!

Guy's palindrome appears on page 127 of COMMON LISP, THE LANGUAGE
(page 170 of the 2nd edition). The 2nd edition of COMMON LISP, THE
LANGUAGE also contains the remarkable:

A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps,

snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a

banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo,
cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal -- Panama!

which is presumably the work of Guy Steele, the book's author.

I dredged up the problem in 1984, and discovered the following 540-word
version with the help of a computer program that I wrote.

A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar,
a hoop, a pint, a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat,
a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay,
a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a bin, a woman, a vassal,
a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, a daub,
a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw,
a lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr,
a caper, a top, a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim,
a tenor, a bass, a passer, a capital, a rut, an amen, a ted,
a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, a jam, a dam, a sub,
a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, a rood,
a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug,
a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal,
a rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap,
a maxim, a mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel,
a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal,
a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag,
a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a mat, a rag,
a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog,
a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit,
a baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat,
a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer,
a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid,
a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag,
a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a natural,
a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall,
a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort,
a gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat,
a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall,
a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw,
a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a ray,
an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion,
a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman,
a bater, a canal -- Panama.

This was done with the Unix spelling dictionary and a fairly
simple-minded program. With a better word list and a smarter program
I'm sure the palindrome could be ten times as long.

I am somewhat concerned that people have been redistributing these
palindromes without attribution. Please don't do so. And if you get
a copy of my palindrome without my name on it, I would appreciate it
if you mention my objection to whoever sends it to you.

Dan Hoey
Ho...@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil

Rise to vote sir

Madam I'm Adam

A Toyota! Race fast, safe car. A Toyota

You can cage a swallow can't you but you can't swallow a cage can you?

Madam in Eden, I'm Adam.

Sit on a potato pan, Otis.

Top step's pup's pet spot.

A fine snore, rare Ronsen IFA.

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!

Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas.

Cigar? Toss it in a can, it is so tragic.

Unremarkable was I ere I saw Elba Kramer, nu?

A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal - Panama!

A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps,

snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana

bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a
jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal - Panama!

Aha!

Oh, no! Don Ho!

Bonk! One Mac. Newton sees not wen came (no knob).

Lisa Bonet ate no basil.

Toni Tennille fell in net. I, not!

Vanna, wanna V?

Man, Oprah's sharp on A.M.

Damn! I, Agassi, miss again! Mad!

(... Yawn.) Madonna Fan? No damn way!

E. Borgnine drags Dad's gardening robe.

Neil A. sees alien!

The almanac can am laeth

I'm runnin'! - Nurmi

A man, a plan, a canal...Suez!

Is Don Adams mad? (A nod.) Si!

No, Mel Gibson is a casino's big lemon.

Alan Alda stops racecar, spots ad: "Lana-L.A."

Bush saw Sununu swash sub.

Cain: A maniac!

Depardieu, go razz a rogue I draped.

Ed, I saw Harpo Marx ram Oprah W. aside.

I, Rasputin, knit up Sari.

Let O'Hara gain an inn in a niagara hotel.

Noriega can idle, held in a cage...Iron!

O, geronimo, no minor ego!

Plan no damn Madonna LP.

Red lost case, Ma. Jesse James acts older.

Sis, ask Costner to not rent socks "As Is"!

So, G. Rivera's tots are virgos.

T. Eliot nixes sex in toilet!

To Idi Amin: I'm a idiot!
A dog! A panic in a pagoda!

A slut nixes sex in Tulsa.

A tin mug for a jar of gum, Nita.

Ah, Satan sees Natasha.

Al lets Della call Ed Stella.

amaryllis sillyrama

Animal loots foliated detail of stool lamina.

Bird rib.

Bombard a drab mob.

But sad Eva saved a stub.

Camus sees sumac.

Cigar? Toss it in a can, it is so tragic.

Daedalus: nine, Peninsula: dead.

Dairy myriad.

Deirdre wets altar of St. Simons - no mists, for at last ewer dried.

Denim axes examined.

Dennis and Edna sinned.

Dior droid.

Drat Sadat, a dastard!

Drat Saddam, a mad dastard!

Draw, o coward!

Egad! No bondage!

Egad, an adage!

emu fat sap pasta fume

Enid and Edna dine:
Eda Nomel's lemonade
Bel Paese a pleb
Parkay yak rap
Feeble el beef
Roti de pup editor
Eel, urbane hen a brulee
Self-furnace Pecan ruffles

Eros? Sidney, my end is sore.

Evil olive.

Flee to me, remote elf.

Flesh! Saw I Mimi wash self!

Gert, I saw Ron avoid a radio-van - or was it Reg?

Gnu dung.

Go hang a salami! I'm a lasagna hog!

God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

God, a slap! Paris, sir, appals a dog.

Goldenrod-adorned log

Golf? No sir, prefer prison-flog.

Gustav Klimt milk vats - ug!

I maim Miami.

I roamed under it as a tired, nude Maori.

I, zani Nazi.

Jar a tonga, nag not a raj.

Kay, a red nude, peeped under a yak.

Kayak salad - Alaska yak.

Lager, Sir, is regal.

Laminated E.T. animal.

Lay a wallaby baby ball away, Al.

Lepers repel.

"M" lab menial slain: embalm.

Ma is a nun, as I am.

Man, Eve let an irate tar in at eleven a.m.

May a moody baby doom a yam?

Mayhem, eh Yam?

"Miry rim! So many daffodils," Delia wailed, "slid off a dynamo's miry rim!"

Must sell at tallest sum.

Naomi, did I moan?

Ned, go gag Ogden.

Never odd or even.

No lemons, no melon.

Nog eroded Oregon.

Nosegay ages on.

Now Ned, I am a maiden nun: Ned, I am a maiden won.

O.E.D. or rodeo?

Pa's a sap.

Paganini: Din in A Gap.

Party boobytrap.

Poor Dan is in a droop.

Red Nevada vendor.

Reflog a golfer

Reno loner

"Reviled did I live," said I, "as evil I did deliver."

Rise, take lame female Kate, sir.

Rococo "R".

Rot-corpse Sumatran art amuses proctor.

Senile Felines

Sex at noon taxes.

Sex-aware era waxes.

Sh, Tom sees moths.

Sir, I soon saw Bob was no Osiris.

Sis, Sargasso Moss a grass is.

Sit on a potato pan, Otis.

Sniff'um muffins.

So, Ida, adios!

Solo gigolos.

Sore eye, Eros?

Sore was I ere I saw Eros.

Stab nail at ill Italian bats.

Star comedy by Democrats.

Stella won no wallets

Step on no pets!

Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots!

Strategem: megatarts.

straw warts

T. Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. "I'd assign it a

name: gant dirt upset on drab pot toilet

Tarzan raised Desi Arnaz' rat.

Tense, I snap Sharon roses, or Norah's pansies net.

Too bad, I hid a boot.

Trafalgar rag: La Fart

Tuna nut

U.F.O. tofu.

Viva le te de Tel Aviv

Was raw tap ale not a reviver at one lap at Warsaw?

We seven, Eve, sew.

Yawn a more Roman way.

Yell upset a cider: predicates pulley.

Yo! Bottoms up, U.S. Motto, boy!

FOREIGN LANGUAGE PALINDROMES

(Latin)
Subi dura a rudibus (endure rough treatement from uncultured brutes)

Sator Arepo tenet opera rotas (The sower Arepo works with the help of a wheel.)

(Finnish)

Saippuakauppias (soap dealer)
(the longest one word palindrome in the world!)

suolatalous - salt economy

iso rikas sika sokosakissa kirosi - a fat rich pig cursed in a poker gang

isa, ala myy myymalaasi - father, don't sell your shop (two dots over those a's)

(Welsh)
Llad dafad dall (kill a blind sheep)

(Swedish)
Ni talar bra latin (you speak good Latin)

Pete Biggs :{) Janet: pe...@uk.ac.ox.physchem
Internet: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk

From my fortune file:

11 * 181 = 1991 = 181 * 11
A dog! A panic in a pagoda!
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.
A slut nixes sex in Tulsa.
Able was I ere I saw Elba.
aibohphobia [fear of palindromes]
Aim a Toyota tatami mat at a Toyota, Mia.
Anna: "Did Otto peep?" Otto: "Did Anna?"
Anne, I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna.
Dabale arroz a la zorra el abad (The abbot was giving rice to the fox)
Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.
Devil Natasha, ah, Satan lived !
Did I draw Della too tall, Edward? I did?
Doc, note I dissent, a fast never prevents a fatness, I diet on cod.
Do geese see God?
Do good? I? No! Evil anon I deliver: I maim nine more hero-men in Saginaw; sanitary sword a-tuck, Carol, I--lo!--rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan; I gas nine more hero-men in Miami; reviled I (Nona) live on. I do, O God!
Drat Saddam mad dastard.
Dr. Lime, 121 Emil Rd.
Egad, a base life defiles a bad age.
Egad! A base tone denotes a bad age.
Emil saw a slime.
Emordnilap palindrome.
Eros' sis is sore.
Eros? Sidney, my end is sore!
Erotic, I gammon ever on, else partisan, I live evil in a sit. Rapes Lenore: venom magic I tore.
Esope reste ici et se repose (Aesop is resting here and relaxing)
Evil I did dwell, lewd did I live.
Gateman's nametag.
Go deliver a dare, vile dog.
God saw I was dog.
Golf? No sir, prefer prison flog.
He goddam mad dog, eh?
He stops spots, eh?
He won snow, eh?
He won't, ah, wander, Edna. What now, eh?
I, man, am regal; a German am I.
I prevent u-boats, tar, evil live rats, Tao, but never pi.
I roamed under it as a tired, nude Maori.
I won, Karen, an era know I.
Kay, a red nude, peeped under a yak.
Lepers repel.
Live dirt up a side track carted is a putrid evil.
Lonely Tylenol.
Ma has a ham.
Ma is a nun, as I am.
Ma is as selfless as I am.
Madam, in Eden, I'm Adam.
Marge lets Norah see Sharon's telegram.
May a moody baby doom a yam?
Murder for a jar of red rum.
Name no one man.
"Naomi, sex at noon taxes!", I moan.
Never odd or even.
Niagara, O roar again.
No, I met System Ion.
No, I tan, I'm at no contamination.
No evil shah lives on.
No, it is opposition.
No pinot noir on orion to nip on.
No, she stops spots, eh, son?
Now I see bees I won.
O, memsahib Bart, rabbi has memo.
O, stone, be not so.
Paget saw an Irish tooth, Sir, in a waste gap.
Rats drown in WordStar.
Rats live on no evil star
Red rum, sir, is murder.
Rise, sir lapdog! Revolt, lover! God, pal, rise, sir!
Rise to vote, sir.
Saippuakauppias. (Finnish word for "soap seller")
Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
Senile felines
Sir, I'm Iris.
Sit on a potato pan, Otis.
Sleep on no peels.
Step on no pets.
Stop, Syrian! I start at rats in airy spots.
Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts...
Sums are not set as a test on Erasmus.
Swen, on gnus, sung no news.
Ten animals I slam in a net.
The fat cop spoke in a strange tongue:"Eugnot egnarts a ni ekops poc taf eht."
Trap all afoot; I too fall apart.
Vote to not slip up, refer pupils to note TOV.
Was it a rat I saw?
We few erase cares, Al; laser aces are we few.
We repaid a no name Pacific ape man on a diaper, ew!
Won't lovers revolt now?
Yreka Bakery

| Timothy M. Kunau Bradycardia Pacing Net-Ops |
| Internet: tim....@medtronic.com Medtronic, Inc. |
| UUCP: uunet!medtron!tk11957 MS-T480 |
| AT&T: +1 612.574.3850 7000 Central Avenue NE |
| FAX: +1 612.574.6177 Minneapolis, MN 55432 |
| "Computers are useless. They only give you answers." - Picasso |

sgt._blumenkraft

Sep 14, 1994, 2:33:29 PM9/14/94
In article <lmerkel....@BIX.com>, lmerkel on BIX <lme...@BIX.com> wrote:
>fli...@pentagon.io.com (Jesse the Punk) writes:
>
> [stuff about mailbombing deleted as off-topic]
>
> [cool .sig deleted to make room for my cool .sig]
>

> The longest palindrome I know is the one where you ask a
> Scotsman how they spot airplanes at a distance and he says:
>
>"Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
^
this one is not mirrored, because you misspelled

"!RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrradarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrR!"

hope this helps.

bb5...@albnyvms.bitnet

Sep 14, 1994, 1:55:17 PM9/14/94
In article <355mos...@uwm.edu>, pa...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu (Paul Rushizky) writes:
>From article <1994Sep13.1...@es.dupont.com>, by Bob McHugh <mchu...@chemsci1.es.dupont.com>:
>> T. Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it
>> a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet.
>>

>That's a pretty good one.
>
>My dad taught me one once, although it's in German:
>"Ein neger mit gazelle zagt im regen nie."
>Which means something akin to "A black man with a gazelle never hesitates
>in the rain."
>
>Hmm... like English palindromes, they make very little sense, do they?

satan oscilate my metalic sonatas

who says they don't make sense?

les

Jim Thomas Park , Jr.

Sep 15, 1994, 9:43:39 AM9/15/94
Hey Assholes how about all of you getting a fucking clue and editing
what newsgroups your bullshit goes to and keep this palindrome bullshit
off of alt.tasteless. It would be greatly appreciated. It is after all
the beginnning of the school year and newbies abound and are cluttering
the net up as it is. So take a moment and remove your heads from your
asses and stop cross posting your bullshit to a.t. If you don't like
this cross posting then blow me. Keep it off of a.t. and we will be
happy.

-Jim

..............I ain't right, Uniquely twisted but not right

Yep, That about sums it up.

***************************FHUTAIDT**

On the Web: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/jp45/homepage.html

Thomas Langberg {75472}

Sep 15, 1994, 5:02:18 PM9/15/94

In article <wiS4y=600WDG...@andrew.cmu.edu>, "Jim Thomas Park , Jr." <jp...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
;) ... Keep it off of a.t. and we will be happy.
;)
;) -Jim

Keep your tasteless language off alt.anagrams ;)

Tom

-- ///\ -- Thomas Langberg -- Email: t...@swl.msd.ray.com --
-- c +o -- Raytheon Company -- Phone: 508-858-9044 (direct) --
-- \ ^ -- 50 Applehill Dr. -- --
-- \_v -- Tewksbury, MA -- Disclaimer: My opinions are my --
-- -- 01876-0901 -- own --
-- use flame bait to catch a fool. --

Mike Ruxton (CHS)

Sep 15, 1994, 6:44:49 PM9/15/94
A.D....@bradford.ac.uk (Alistair Brown) writes:

[...snip...]

>someone wrote an entire book that was a palindrome.

Someone wrote a book without a single 'e' in it. Check Gardner again.

--
rux...@agcrr.bio.ns.ca
_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_

David R Schwanke

Sep 16, 1994, 9:42:50 AM9/16/94
>>Jeez, doesn't anybody else have a copy of this list? I got it from
>>rec.humor.d in 1992; it's probably longer by now...

There was a 54 line version of the a man a plan a canal panama here at
cmu about 15 years ago. (my father showed me a copy of it after it was
posted) cant find it though..

Kaj Groner

Sep 16, 1994, 4:53:20 PM9/16/94
dingdingding! "The Average Rental Dork" <jp...@andrew.cmu.edu> said this!
y Hey Assholes how about all of you getting a fucking clue and editing
y this cross posting then blow me. Keep it off of a.t. and we will be
y happy.

Is this an automated posting, or what?

--
This is a very nice beetle indeed, sir. I don't know why you would want to
sell it. But I can offer you a big orange bouncy thing. And it will name

Krikket

Sep 17, 1994, 6:38:00 AM9/17/94
Mike Ruxton (CHS) (rux...@agcrr.bio.ns.ca) wrote:
>A.D....@bradford.ac.uk (Alistair Brown) writes:

>[...snip...]
>>someone wrote an entire book that was a palindrome.

>Someone wrote a book without a single 'e' in it. Check Gardner again.

In an unabashed show of ignorance... Mind posting the info on the book?
I think I"ll have to get a copy just for the sake of it...

--
<><><><><><>
Krikket kri...@mcs.com (<- Regular Inbound Mail)

"And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling
kids and your snooping dog and your smarty-pants FBI agent and your
other smarty-pants FBI agent."
--A crossover between X-Files and Scooby-Doo

James J Hardiman

Sep 18, 1994, 2:33:29 AM9/18/94
Krikket (kri...@MCS.COM) sayeth thusly:

> Mike Ruxton (CHS) (rux...@agcrr.bio.ns.ca) wrote:

> >A.D....@bradford.ac.uk (Alistair Brown) writes:

> >[...snip...]
> >>someone wrote an entire book that was a palindrome.

> >Someone wrote a book without a single 'e' in it. Check Gardner again.

> In an unabashed show of ignorance... Mind posting the info on the book?

> I think I"ll have to get a copy just for the sake of it...

I think the name of this book is "Gadsby", or "Gatsby", or something
similar. I read a passage- MISERABLE! All through the 2 paragaphs I read
I couldn't help but think, "but you could just say x (where x is a word
with the letter e)!!"
Buy it if you must, but check the library first.

--
Jim Hardiman ji...@solix.fiu.edu
.sigs 1-3 destroyed early in construction. .sig 4 vanished from filesystem

bb5...@albnyvms.bitnet

Sep 18, 1994, 7:42:17 PM9/18/94
In article <351p29$j...@sasuga.Hi.COM>, rog...@sasuga.Hi.COM (Andrew Rogers) writes:
>A man, a plan, a canal...Suez!

ha-ha nice try, but i thwarted your evil plan again!

les

William Alcott

Sep 19, 1994, 1:21:39 PM9/19/94
In article <355mos...@uwm.edu> pa...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu (Paul Rushizky) writes:
>My dad taught me one once, although it's in German:
>"Ein neger mit gazelle zagt im regen nie."
>Which means something akin to "A black man with a gazelle never hesitates
>in the rain."

Wasn't there one in Xhosa to the effect of "The skunk rolled down the hill
and ruptured its larynx"?

William Alcott
But I love deformable solids...

Bob Another beer, please Christ

Sep 19, 1994, 4:58:40 PM9/19/94
ji...@solix.fiu.edu (James J Hardiman) writes:

>I think the name of this book is "Gadsby", or "Gatsby", or something
>similar. I read a passage- MISERABLE! All through the 2 paragaphs I read
>I couldn't help but think, "but you could just say x (where x is a word
>with the letter e)!!"

Oh boy, isn't that cute. Jimbo, you can neither read nor write.
Nor do you understand how to operate your newsreader properly.
Now, I don't know which newsgroup you're posting from, but if you
look at the fucking newsgroup line, you might seee one, maybe two,
newsgroups that your shitty article doesn't belong in.

Think you can figure it out, pea-brain?

Bob

Rob Holstein

Sep 19, 1994, 10:10:05 PM9/19/94
In article <WJALCOTT.1...@MECHANICAL.watstar.uwaterloo.ca>, WJAL...@MECHANICAL.watstar.uwaterloo.ca (William Alcott) says:

[deletia]

>Wasn't there one in Xhosa to the effect of "The skunk rolled down the hill
>and ruptured its larynx"?

I believe that one's considered to be the world's toughest tongue twister and
is not a palindrome. (Apparently it has several clicks in it.)

/****************************************************************\
* Rob Holstein | "Could you please continue the petty bickering? *
* | I find it most intriguing." -- Data *
*--------------+-------------------------------------------------*
* E-mail: rob_ho...@mindlink.bc.ca *
\****************************************************************/

Nathan J. Nagel

Sep 20, 1994, 12:27:32 AM9/20/94
>>Wasn't there one in Xhosa to the effect of "The skunk rolled down the hill
>>and ruptured its larynx"?
>>
>I believe that one's considered to be the world's toughest tongue twister and
>is not a palindrome. (Apparently it has several clicks in it.)

I thought that was the shortest sentence to contain all the letters
of the alphabet. Oh, well, I've been wrong before. (tho' not often ;) )

procrastiNate

John Peekstok

Sep 20, 1994, 6:52:56 AM9/20/94
Will the people posting to this thread PLEASE edit the newsgroups line
and get this stupid conversation off the inappropriate newsgroups?
--
John Peekstok john...@cyberspace.com
"We do not know what we do not know"

Joshua Alex Samuels

Sep 20, 1994, 4:27:58 PM9/20/94

Hmm, well I just tried to repeat it quickly and found that it is not a
tongue twister at all really.

I also lloked and can clearly see that it is not a palindrome and, at my
quick glance is missing the following letters:

b,c,f,g,j,m,q,v,z NOT EXACTLY every letter in the alphabet, now is it...

actually it only has 65% of the letters. Maybe we should take time to
read the articles before we respond with bold statements, huh.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Joshua Samuels e-mail: js03...@bcm.tmc.edu
Baylor College of Medicine phone: (713) 796-8657

Nathan J. Nagel

Sep 20, 1994, 5:43:09 PM9/20/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.tasteless: 20-Sep-94 Re: LONGEST KNOWN
PALINDROME by Joshua Alex Samuels@bcm.
<nn22+@andrew.

> > >I believe that one's considered to be the world's toughest tongue
twister and

> > >is not a palindrome. (Apparently it has several clicks in it.)
> >
> > I thought that was the shortest sentence to contain all the letters
> > of the alphabet. Oh, well, I've been wrong before. (tho' not often ;) )
> >
> > procrastiNate
>
> Hmm, well I just tried to repeat it quickly and found that it is not a
> tongue twister at all really.
>
> I also lloked and can clearly see that it is not a palindrome and, at my
> quick glance is missing the following letters:
>
> b,c,f,g,j,m,q,v,z NOT EXACTLY every letter in the alphabet, now is it...
>
> actually it only has 65% of the letters. Maybe we should take time to
> read the articles before we respond with bold statements, huh.
> Just my $0.02 worth.

> Joshua Samuels e-mail: js03...@bcm.tmc.edu

read the first couple lines of the original (not mine) message - IT'S
NOT IN ENGLISH! What the original poster wrote was a rough translation.
And no, I don't happen to have it written out.

OH, and BTW, I took alt.tasteless out of the subject line, since I hang
out there and the natives seem to be getting annoyed by this thread.

procrastiNate

hooten

Sep 22, 1994, 3:46:28 PM9/22/94
now no swims on mon.

(sign in front of a pool)

-- Your friend

Glen Malley

Sep 22, 1994, 11:05:00 PM9/22/94

>Bob

Hey now! That was rude!

(Heh heh heh...I love it)

Keep up the good work...;-)

Jack Roberts

Sep 24, 1994, 3:37:57 PM9/24/94
bha...@netcom.com (Bob "Another beer, please" Christ) writes:

> Oh boy, isn't that cute. Jimbo, you can neither read nor write.
> Nor do you understand how to operate your newsreader properly.
> Now, I don't know which newsgroup you're posting from, but if you
> look at the fucking newsgroup line, you might seee one, maybe two,
> newsgroups that your shitty article doesn't belong in.
>
> Think you can figure it out, pea-brain?
>
> Bob

FUKC YOU LOOSER!@$^#

Paul Shirley

Sep 25, 1994, 11:09:30 AM9/25/94
"Jack Roberts" writes:
>FUKC YOU LOOSER!@$^#

You misspelled FUCK MY SELF, hope this helps

Chipmunk

Sep 27, 1994, 12:14:39 AM9/27/94
WJAL...@MECHANICAL.watstar.uwaterloo.ca (William Alcott) writes:

> Wasn't there one in Xhosa to the effect of "The skunk rolled down the hill
> and ruptured its larynx"?

That's interesting... I know that there is short s-f story with an
almost identical phrase for a title. (Something like: "Mr. Skunk fell
down the hill and ruptured his larynx.)
Maybe the author is familiar with foreign language palindromes.

Hooray Henry

Sep 29, 1994, 7:09:59 PM9/29/94
In article <780505...@teeny.demon.co.uk>
P...@teeny.demon.co.uk "Paul Shirley" writes:

> FUCK MY SELF

What makes you think I would want to do that?

Jack Roberts

Oct 1, 1994, 2:04:47 AM10/1/94

oh come on, everybody wants to do that.

** Firebomb your provider today! **
Pope Joe Hokum KSC KOHM HPAV CVQ PU
Giagantic Galumphing Garlic Cabal
-><- Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia! -><-

Gary Kohan

Sep 30, 1994, 9:05:19 AM9/30/94

a man a plan a canal panama

Gary Kohan GE Fanuc Automation Ph: (804) 978-5975
Computer Engineer Rt. 29N & Rt. 606 (D-39)
(gary....@cho.ge.com) Charlottesville, VA 22901

Your Name Here

Oct 1, 1994, 10:41:36 PM10/1/94
able was I 'ere I saw Elba

Andrew J. Decker

JAMES P. GOVIN

Oct 5, 1994, 9:24:15 PM10/5/94
In article <1994Oct4.0...@cabell.vcu.edu> csc...@cabell.vcu.edu (Andrew J. Decker) writes:

>Dan Hoey
>Ho...@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil

Go AF beat Navy!

"A monkey will eat dirt ... if you make him." -Pedro

David Potter

Oct 6, 1994, 1:36:27 AM10/6/94

The story you are referring to is most likely:

"The Coon Rolled Down and Ruptured his Larinks, a Squeezed
Novel by Mr. Skunk" by Dafydd ab Hugh.

My copy of this story came from "Nebula Awards 26," from
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. It was nominated for the 1990 Best
Novelette Nebula award.

David E. Potter | MIS Manager
Storage Dimensions, Milpitas CA | dpo...@xstor.com

E. Gads

Oct 6, 1994, 2:04:27 AM10/6/94
In earlier articles (Jack Roberts) (Hooray Henry) and "Paul Shirley" wrote:

> > > FUCK MY SELF
> >
> > What makes you think I would want to do that?
> >
> oh come on, everybody wants to do that.

Actually, here in the Secret Order of the Beany Copter and the Thunderbolt,
"Fucking My Self" is a very important ritual of the upper ranks, denoting
that exquisite moment of spiritual victory when desire triumphs over itself
and the seeker attains freedom and mastery via self impregnation with the
higher angelic spirits. It is always a milestone in anyone's mystical life
when one Fucks Oneself. You're NOBODY! until you've fucked yourself! And
don't worry! We here on Mt. Olympus will be ready with all the buckets of
water (or thunderbolts) you need!

evan johnson

Oct 6, 1994, 4:30:43 PM10/6/94
Actually, the Xhosa phrase to which you are referring is not a palindrome
but merely a tongue-twister... it goes thusly...

Iqaqa laziqikaqika kwaze kwaqhawaka uqhoqhoqha. (The skunk rolled down
and ruptured its larynx.)

--
evan johnson hybrid on irc, eaj 11k on igs
joh...@access.digex.net

Steve Heckman

Oct 6, 1994, 12:23:23 PM10/6/94

GOVINJP97%CS...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil (JAMES P. GOVIN) writes:
In article <1994Oct4.0...@cabell.vcu.edu> csc...@cabell.vcu.edu (Andrew J. Decker) writes:

>Dan Hoey
>Ho...@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil

Go AF beat Navy!

What!?! Are we having a civil war??? Better stock up on bacon...

-vehement sack

"The South's gonna do it again!"

"...What? Lose?..."

Nhat-Viet Phi

Oct 7, 1994, 2:07:31 AM10/7/94
Hooray Henry (he...@fielding.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <780505...@teeny.demon.co.uk>
: P...@teeny.demon.co.uk "Paul Shirley" writes:

: > FUCK MY SELF

: What makes you think I would want to do that?

1. Holy Cow! There are so many cross-post newsgroups for this message....
What the hell is going on?
2. I don't see no effing palindrome!

Nhat-Viet Phi
nhat...@nucleus.com
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Joseph Betz

Oct 7, 1994, 1:48:09 AM10/7/94
joh...@access4.digex.net (evan johnson) writes:

How about this one:

Stupid fucking newbie dickweeds keep boring threads alive for months and
months and months and months without adding anyting of value and wasting
hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bandwidth with their drooling,
knee-jerk, unfunny followups. They can't stop. It's like a disease, and
they are too stupid to stop doing the things that spread the disease, or
even know what trolling is, and they've probably never even heard of misc
test but it doesn't make any difference because they are too fucking stupid
to stop hitting that f key and adding their own little pearls of wisdom.

It's a palindrome, an anagram, and a spam. Now shut the fuck up, ALL of
you!

* Joseph Betz (bwa...@earth.execpc.com) * If stupidity was gold, AOL *
* -or- (Josep...@mixcom.com) * would be Fort Knox *

Michael Moynihan

Oct 8, 1994, 7:55:03 PM10/8/94
In article <HECKMAN.94...@oomph.BBN.Com>, hec...@oomph.BBN.Com (Steve Heckman) says:

Testing respond on WinVn after config change

Eli Balin

Oct 8, 1994, 9:54:11 PM10/8/94
In article <377bgn$1...@posgate.apana.org.au>,

Michael Moynihan <li...@posgate.apana.org.au> wrote:
>In article <HECKMAN.94...@oomph.BBN.Com>, hec...@oomph.BBN.Com (Steve Heckman) says:
>>
>Testing respond on WinVn after config change

Festering despondants gone Rin-Tin-Tin after songsing range.
| "They're fixing the tracks."
| "They fixed the tracks."
| "Yes, I agree with that."
| -New York Metropolitan Transit Authority, c.1991

Midget Caesar

Oct 9, 1994, 1:36:08 PM10/9/94
JAMES P. GOVIN (GOVINJP97%CS...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil) wrote:

: >Dan Hoey
: >Ho...@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil

: Go AF beat Navy!

That's not a palindrome. Sheesh.

Lutz Stohlmann

Oct 8, 1994, 9:38:55 PM10/8/94
gary....@cho.ge.com (Gary Kohan) writes:
>a man a plan a canal panama

Well, I know a longer one, but it is in German:

Ein Neger mit Gazelle zagt im Regen nie

I apologize for the word "Neger", which means a black person (but not so
hard as a similar sounding English word). Just an old expression for it.

With best wishes, Lutz Stohlmann
--

Ciao, Lutz.

OO Buendnis 90/ | Dumm schwaetzen und

.

Oct 9, 1994, 7:44:42 PM10/9/94
In article <1994Oct9.0...@mmbs.escape.de>,
Lutz Stohlmann <l...@mmbs.escape.de> wrote:

:gary....@cho.ge.com (Gary Kohan) writes:
:>a man a plan a canal panama
:
:Well, I know a longer one, but it is in German:
:
:Ein Neger mit Gazelle zagt im Regen nie
:

OK, you asked for it:

Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo,
Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida,
Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina,
Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl,
Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina,
Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.

Joseph Betz

Oct 10, 1994, 1:36:09 AM10/10/94

>Ciao, Lutz.

Hello Gary, Hello Lutz. Be good boys and shut the fuck up now, O.K.?
The rest of the fucking world IS sick of this thread from hell, and you
don't even know how many groups it's crossposted to. Ghod has spoken. Shut
the fuck up.

Joseph Betz

Oct 10, 1994, 1:40:38 AM10/10/94