Joy Behar: Tim Scott "Does Not Seem To Understand" Difference Between "Systemic Racism" And "A Racist Country"

Ubiquitous

May 1, 2021, 4:25:14 PM5/1/21
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.

Behar, who made the comments during an appearance on "The View," was
asked by co-host Whoopi Goldberg to weigh in on the Republican
senator's State of the Union rebuttal, during which Scott talked about
race and said that the United States isn't a racist country.

"He does not seem to understand - and a lot of them don't seem to
understand - the difference between a racist country and systemic
racism," Behar told the panel.

"Maybe it's not a racist country, maybe Americans - the majority - are
not racist. But we live in a country with systemic racism," said Behar,
who also called it "appalling" that Scott didn't "acknowledge" the
existence of systemic racism in the United States during his speech.

"At least acknowledge that there is systemic racism," she added.

Joy Behar says Tim Scott doesn't understand what systemic
racism means pic.twitter.com/pWKhOSxjVO

- The Post Millennial (@TPostMillennial) April 29, 2021

Sunny Hostin, another co-host of "The View," said that Scott was chosen
to give the rebuttal speech because of his race.

"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.

"He is the person that Republicans want to put out front because of the
problem of racism in this country and he knows that. So I was sort of
disappointed that he was used in this way and didn't take that
opportunity to address that type of - this type of issue head-on," she
added.

During Scott's speech Wednesday, the South Carolina senator said that
Americans need to find common ground in discussions about race, and
also shared a moving anecdote about his grandfather holding the
newspaper at the kitchen table in the morning to set a good example for
Scott - even though he had never learned to read himself.

Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called `Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."

After Scott's speech, the phrase "Uncle Tim" trended on Twitter, a
combination of the names Tim Scott and "Uncle Tom," a racial slur that
has historically been used to accuse black men of being submissive to
white men.

The South Carolina senator called out the responses to his speech
during an appearance on "Fox & Friends" the next morning.

"It is stunning in 2021 that those who speak about ending
discrimination want to end it by more discrimination," Scott said.

"I'll just tell you that it has been an amazing morning with so many
good people calling. But the Left, they have doubled down. They are not
going to attack my policies, but they are literally attacking the color
of my skin. You cannot step out of your lane according to the liberal
elite Left," he said.

--
Trump won.

BTR1701

May 1, 2021, 5:09:43 PM5/1/21
On May 1, 2021 at 1:25:10 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
> Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
> between racism and systemic racism.

Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism to a
black man.

> "Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
> the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.

As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo much
better. FFS...

> Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
> been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
> added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
> called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
> last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
> actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
> time."

Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind of
pervasive leftist racism.

trotsky

May 2, 2021, 9:34:04 AM5/2/21
On 5/1/21 4:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 1, 2021 at 1:25:10 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
>> Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
>> between racism and systemic racism.
>
> Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism to a
> black man.

Calling a black clearly behaving as an Uncle Tom indicative of a "black
man" is just trying to obfuscate the truth in typical right wing asshole
doublespeak fashion.

>> "Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
>> the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
>
> As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo much
> better. FFS...

I don't get it, Derp, are you going to own the Republiclowns systemic
racism or not? If you have no balls, just admit to that fact.

>> Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
>> been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
>> added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
>> called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
>> last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
>> actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
>> time."
>
> Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind of
> pervasive leftist racism.

Without naming the paper we have to assume he is just another shitheaded
Republiclown liar. Would you like to guess again?

NoBody

May 2, 2021, 11:36:48 AM5/2/21
On Sat, 01 May 2021 16:25:10 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
>Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
>between racism and systemic racism.

Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...

Ubiquitous

May 2, 2021, 11:54:43 AM5/2/21
atr...@mac.com wrote:
>On May 1, 2021 at 1:25:10 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
>> Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
>> between racism and systemic racism.
>
>Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism
>to a black man.

Nag-splaining?
Joy-splainiung?

>> "Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
>> the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
>
>As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo
>much better. FFS...
>
>> Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
>> been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
>> added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
>> called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
>> last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
>> actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
>> time."
>
>Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind
>of pervasive leftist racism.

Didja ever notice how often this nonsense comes from the wealthy and
powerful?

--
Trump won.

Ubiquitous

May 2, 2021, 12:06:31 PM5/2/21
In article <s6m9ob$2li7$1...@neodome.net>, gms...@email.com wrote:
>On 5/1/21 4:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> On May 1, 2021 at 1:25:10 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
>>> Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
>>> between racism and systemic racism.
>>
>> Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism
>> to a black man.
>
>Calling a black clearly behaving as an Uncle Tom indicative of a "black
>man" is just trying to obfuscate the truth in typical right wing asshole
>doublespeak fashion.

Racism noted.

>>> "Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
>>> the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
>>> Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
>>> been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
>>> added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
>>> called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
>>> last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
>>> actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
>>> time."
>>
>> Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this
>> kind of pervasive leftist racism.
>
>Without naming the paper we have to assume he is just another shitheaded
>Republiclown liar. Would you like to guess again?

It is a trivial matter to look them up, actually, but this is just another
one of your attempts at deflection because you lost the debate.

BTW, it was the Washington Post who did that.
You're welcome.

--
Trump won.

BTR1701

May 2, 2021, 4:58:04 PM5/2/21
On May 2, 2021 at 9:06:24 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <s6m9ob$2li7$1...@neodome.net>, gms...@email.com wrote:

>>> Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism
>>> to a black man.
>>
>> Calling a black clearly behaving as an Uncle Tom indicative of a "black
>> man" is just trying to obfuscate the truth in typical right wing asshole
>> doublespeak fashion.
>
> Racism noted.

Don't you get it? Racial slurs are okay when they do it!

BTR1701

May 2, 2021, 5:35:33 PM5/2/21
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo"
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random college
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three fingers
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?

moviePig

May 2, 2021, 5:43:13 PM5/2/21
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?

trotsky

May 3, 2021, 6:09:21 AM5/3/21
What are you going to do about it?

NoBody

May 3, 2021, 6:38:11 AM5/3/21
On Sun, 2 May 2021 17:43:10 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:
Because one term is a racist term and the other is a political one.
Here I was thinking it was terrible to be racist. Oh that's right,
only the "correct" people may be racist.

moviePig

May 3, 2021, 9:56:12 AM5/3/21
'Oreo' is racial, not racist.

BTR1701

May 3, 2021, 12:10:38 PM5/3/21
In article <%hTjI.38945$qy1....@fx26.iad>,
Not according to the people to whom it applies. You and Joy Behar gonna
whitesplain racism to them?

moviePig

May 3, 2021, 12:56:17 PM5/3/21
As I suggested, it's logically no more racist than 'rino' is anti-GOP.

BTR1701

May 3, 2021, 1:36:33 PM5/3/21
In article <NWVjI.323395$2N3.2...@fx33.iad>,
And logically "colored people" isn't any more racist than "people of
color".

Logic does not apply to these things.

moviePig

May 3, 2021, 3:10:47 PM5/3/21
I imagine the claim is that "colored people" has deep historical ties to
black oppression ...including my personal recall of it as the "polite"
way to refer to "them". So, I won't tell blacks what to feel about it.
'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties -- and
I'm always predisposed toward retaining language's expressive power.

BTR1701

May 3, 2021, 3:22:56 PM5/3/21
In article <VUXjI.231740$2A5....@fx45.iad>,
And "oreo" has deep historical ties to black oppression by other blacks,
as well as whites that have used it to their advantage. You probably
shouldn't presume to tell blacks what to feel about that, either.

> 'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties

It's just an updated version of "Uncle Tom".

moviePig

May 3, 2021, 4:06:14 PM5/3/21
Yes, one draws one's line where one thinks most reasonable.

>> 'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties
>
> It's just an updated version of "Uncle Tom".

I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new, but also
references an internalized pretense at being white -- whereas 'Uncle
Tom' is a black man who "knows his place" and is "friends" with Massa.

A Friend

May 3, 2021, 4:17:11 PM5/3/21
In article <VIYjI.68103$9F5....@fx43.iad>, moviePig
<pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new

Dictionary.com says it dates back to 1965-1970.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oreo

moviePig

May 3, 2021, 4:59:56 PM5/3/21
...whereas 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' was published more than a century
earlier, though I don't know how quickly the "slur" took root.

A Friend

May 3, 2021, 5:19:18 PM5/3/21
In article <evZjI.247711$Skn4....@fx17.iad>, moviePig
It was during the 1860s, which is a lot earlier than I'd thought.

You don't hear much about Simon Legree anymore. His name used to be
invoked pretty often against bad bosses.

Rhino

May 3, 2021, 5:47:00 PM5/3/21
"Oreo" (Brown on the outside, White on the inside) was formed the same
way "watermelon" ((politically) Green on the outside, (politically) Red
on the inside) was. Both terms imply deception and both made a political
statement out of something that was previously non-political.

--
Rhino

trotsky

May 4, 2021, 5:25:51 AM5/4/21
Not when you're involved, of course it doesn't, Derp.

trotsky

May 4, 2021, 5:38:54 AM5/4/21
Holy crap I just barely remember that.

Ubiquitous

May 4, 2021, 6:54:55 AM5/4/21
TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Ubiquitous

May 4, 2021, 6:58:21 AM5/4/21
RAT's very own Norm Chomsky strikes again!

>Not according to the people to whom it applies. You and Joy Behar gonna
>whitesplain racism to them?

Moviepig has obviously lost the debate and is pulling an "FPP".

--
Trump won.

NoBody

May 4, 2021, 7:23:43 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 3 May 2021 09:56:10 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
No, it *racist* as it's used against people of a specific race in a
degrading fashion.

NoBody

May 4, 2021, 7:25:11 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 3 May 2021 12:56:13 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
Once again, for the dumb folks in the gallery: "rino" is a political
term", "oreo" is referred to people of a specific race for their
beliefs. That is RACIST.

moviePig

May 4, 2021, 10:24:06 AM5/4/21
No, it isn't, as it doesn't degrade/deplore their race.

NoBody

May 5, 2021, 7:28:23 AM5/5/21
On Tue, 4 May 2021 10:24:02 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
Of course it does. Please try to stop excusing racism. That behavior
is racist itself.

moviePig

May 5, 2021, 10:09:39 AM5/5/21
Empty denial, supported by catch-22. Very convincing...

NoBody

May 6, 2021, 7:03:21 AM5/6/21
On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:09:37 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
Look at you, all denial and no ability to respond with actual thought.

BTR1701

May 8, 2021, 2:32:16 PM5/8/21
Asian massage = acceptable
White massage = racist!

Support black-owned businesses = acceptable
Support white-owned business = racist!!

Hispanic grocery = acceptable
White grocery = racist!

Promote black culture and traditions = acceptable
Promote white culture and traditions = racist!

Hawaiians cook the best fish = acceptable
Black people cook great chicken = racist!

There's only one way any of that's logical. I'll leave it to you to figure out
how.

moviePig

May 8, 2021, 4:41:47 PM5/8/21
Yes, in this country, a sign that says 'White' is racist. Go figure.

BTR1701

May 8, 2021, 4:59:44 PM5/8/21
Oh, I've figured all right.

moviePig

May 8, 2021, 6:09:21 PM5/8/21
I figured you figured. But then why do you find it worth exclamation?

trotsky

May 9, 2021, 8:44:55 AM5/9/21
Very observant. And now the MAGA solutions:

A) beat Asians nearly to death.
B) don't even recognize businesses owned by POC.
C) Love that Motown!
D) Where the fuck did that come from. The woke people are vegan.
E) Logic--one of the most heinous swear words in the MAGA dictionary.