MIDI SET UP ISSUES WITH EDIROL UA-25 - Any Help Much Appreciated.

Nassy

Feb 5, 2008, 5:24:33 AM2/5/08

I have recently purchased an Edirol UA-25 and would like some advice
that will enable me to use the sound card in conjunction with Cubase
to record both audio and MIDI using VST instruments. I can set up the
Edirol UA-25 to record audio input but I am really struggling with the
MIDI side of things. The manual that comes with the Edirol does not
provide any information specific to MIDI either.

So far I have the following set up.

1. Edirol UA-25 connected to the computer via USB cable
2. Edirol PCR M30 connected to Edirol UA-25 using 2 MIDI cables.

Now I have set up Cubase to use the Edirol UA-25 as the sound card but
I want to be able to record and play VST instruments through the
Edirol. I have tried setting the MIDI ports in Cubase to the IN/OUT
ports but I don't get any joy with this. Using VST I'd normally then
set the output to the VST instrument but with the set up I have this
doesn't work.

Clearly I am doing something silly and realise that to someone who
understands MIDI I must seem naive. I do know how to record VST
instruments with the sound card that came with the computer ie
SoundMax HD Audio but I do not want to keep switching the sound card
to record MIDI unless I have to. Any advice on how I can set up my
Edirol UA-25 to work with MIDI and in particular VST would be great as
I am really stuck on this one.

Thanks

Nas

glen...@cox.net

Feb 5, 2008, 5:24:22 PM2/5/08

Ok I don,t know if you got your gear working yet?
I am not a midi geek, but since you might still be stuck and without
any other responses. Let me try.
First of all, I had an Edirol card. I didn,t like it. for the
same reason.I also remember the lack of support. I also have cubase. I
use pro tools in my midi studio because cubase was always touchy. It
was great once I got it running but had problems with it.( this was
2-4 years ago).
Call George York. tell him your a friend of( growlin Glenn's).
Google search YRS midi systems. he is in Orlando florida. He will
want to sell you a system, but maybe he could talk you through your
problem.
I would work thru the midi chain. Are you using XP? When you hit
the keyboard does the cubase midi in show a signal? sometimes you have
to setup in windows control panel under midi devices. Or I used to Re
install cubase. I just had a midi problem on my mac. I have a Mackie
HUi controller and in cubase it worked, but in pro tools it did not
work. 4 hours later. after downloading drivers ect,,, I had to do a
clean uninstall of pro tools then re install. It was a bad driver.
Now it works. call George.
Glenn

Nassy

Feb 6, 2008, 12:23:15 PM2/6/08
On 5 Feb, 22:24, glenne...@cox.net wrote:
> On Feb 5, 5:24 am, Nassy <nasreen_m...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I have recently purchased an Edirol UA-25 and would like some advice
> > that will enable me to use the sound card in conjunction withCubase
> > to record both audio and MIDI using VST instruments.  I can set up the
> > Edirol UA-25 to record audio input but I am really struggling with the
> > MIDI side of things.    The manual that comes with the Edirol does not
> > provide any information specific to MIDI either.
>
> > So far I have the following set up.
>
> > 1.  Edirol UA-25 connected to the computer via USB cable
> > 2. Edirol PCR M30 connected to Edirol UA-25 using 2 MIDI cables.
>
> > Now I have set upCubaseto use the Edirol UA-25 as the sound card but

> > I want to be able to record and play VST instruments through the
> > Edirol.  I have tried setting the MIDI ports inCubaseto the IN/OUT

> > ports but I don't get any joy with this.   Using VST I'd normally then
> > set the output to the VST instrument but with the set up I have this
> > doesn't work.
>
> > Clearly I am doing something silly and realise that to someone who
> > understands MIDI I must seem naive.   I do know how to record VST
> > instruments with the sound card that came with the computer ie
> > SoundMax HD Audio but I do not want to keep switching the sound card
> > to record MIDI unless I have to.  Any advice on how I can set up my
> > Edirol UA-25 to work with MIDI and in particular VST would be great as
> > I am really stuck on this one.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Nas
>
> Ok I don,t know if you got your gear working yet?
>   I am not a midi geek, but since you might still be stuck and without
> any other responses. Let me try.
>      First of all, I had an Edirol card. I didn,t like it. for the
> same reason.I also remember the lack of support. I also havecubase. I
> use pro tools in my midi studio becausecubasewas always touchy. It

> was great once I got it running but had problems with it.( this was
> 2-4 years ago).
>    Call George York. tell him your a friend of( growlin Glenn's).
> Google search YRS midi systems.  he is in Orlando florida. He will
> want to sell you a system, but maybe he could talk you through your
> problem.
>   I would work thru the midi chain.  Are you using XP? When you hit
> the keyboard does thecubasemidi in show a signal? sometimes you have

> to setup in windows control panel under midi devices. Or I used to Re
> installcubase. I just had a midi problem on my mac. I have a Mackie
> HUi controller and incubaseit worked, but in pro tools it did not

> work. 4 hours later. after downloading drivers ect,,, I had to do a
> clean uninstall of pro tools then re install. It was a bad driver.
> Now it works. call George.
>                                                                 Glenn- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for this. There is no signal at all in Cubase when the MIDI
cable is in. If I take out the MIDI cable and connect the keyboard
directly to my computer (as opposed to using the Edirol UA-25 as the
interface) I can record MIDI but the performance is rubbish since the
soundcard that comes with my computer is not at all suitable for music
processing ie has very high latency. This was why I brought the
Edirol UA-25 in the first place and had been told that it could also
process MIDI from a keyboard.

It could well be a bad driver. I'll see what happens if I download
the latest driver from the Roland Edirol website. Its also possible
that I havent' set up my MIDI options in Windows correctly - but I
can't see how this can be the case since MIDI does work ok in Cubase
and you can choose which device you want to use directly in Cubase
itself. However I'll route around in case there is some funny
setting that might be preventing the Edirol UA-25 from processing
MIDI. I was told that if the Edirol UA-25 is working I should be able
to connect my keyboard to the Edirol UA-25 and then set up the input
to be Edirol UA-25 MIDI IN. It should be as simple as that but I get
no sign of any message getting through to Cubase. Nothing. It is
really bad (in my opinion) that the manual that comes with the Edirol
UA-25 does not feature any information specific to MIDI.

I will try reinstalling the driver and if that doesn't work I may
indeed call George. I am not from the US but it seems my location
already makes it difficult for me to get support from Roland (appears
you can only register with them for support if you are from the US as
their website insists I give them a US phone number!). The
alternative is to upgrade the soundcard on my computer to one that
works ok with MIDI and then use the Edirol UA-25 for audio input
only. However this does somewhat defeat the purpose of buying the
Edirol UA-25 in the first place so I'll see if I can get the UA-25
working with MIDI first of all!

Thanks again
Nassy

glen...@cox.net

Feb 6, 2008, 10:09:50 PM2/6/08
> Nassy- Hide quoted text -

Well it seems like it is not cubase. It is windows or the edirol or
both. most likely the Edirol is the problem. I might have had an
Edirol 20 4 years ago. In installing it if I remember right atleast
for that interface. You were supposed to not have the edirol plugged
in. Install the software first. Then restart or I cant remember plug
it in after the software was installed and then the system would see
it. See what the installation book has to say. If it is the case you
might have to uninstall the card restart and try it again.
good Luck Glenn.

Laurence Payne

Feb 7, 2008, 5:42:09 AM2/7/08
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:23:15 -0800 (PST), Nassy
<nasree...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I will try reinstalling the driver and if that doesn't work I may
>indeed call George. I am not from the US but it seems my location
>already makes it difficult for me to get support from Roland (appears
>you can only register with them for support if you are from the US as
>their website insists I give them a US phone number!). The
>alternative is to upgrade the soundcard on my computer to one that
>works ok with MIDI and then use the Edirol UA-25 for audio input
>only. However this does somewhat defeat the purpose of buying the
>Edirol UA-25 in the first place so I'll see if I can get the UA-25
>working with MIDI first of all!

Surely the purpose of the UA-25 was to provide a quality low-latency
audio interface? Let it do this. It has a MIDI interface too. Neat
- but if it gives problems, use another one. It's a separate function
which doesn't have to be in the same box as your audio interface.

It seems you have a workable MIDI connection from your keyboard via
USB. Fine - use it. You say that when you use this, you can't
specify the UA-25 as output device for your audio tracks? Well, yes
you can. This is the next problem that needs addressing.

Regarding the MIDI problem through the UA-25. These units install as
multiple devices. Maybe the audio side installed properly, the MIDI
didn't. Look in Device Manager. Any error flags? Did you follow the
installation procedure as detailed in the manual TO THE LETTER? These
devices are picky. If you e.g. plugged in the USB cable before you
were told to, things can go wrong.