Organ sound in "Love the One You're With" Crosby Stills Nash and also "Is that the thanks I get" Rod Stewart

Dave Wallaby

Jan 15, 2003, 3:14:08 PM1/15/03
Howdy,

There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
replicate with the software I've tried.

The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
you're with.

Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
with software synths?

Well, I do have a Yamaha EX-5, but haven't heard this sound from it
yet...

Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!

Thanks and love,

Dave Wallaby

http://www.davidbowie.us/love.mp3 here is crosby still nash love the one
you're with

Dyuob Poltice

Jan 15, 2003, 2:55:08 PM1/15/03

Just a guess, but I think I always assumed it was a Hammond B 3
============================
http://www.geocities.com/dyuob/mr8.html

Dyuob Poltice

Jan 15, 2003, 2:57:28 PM1/15/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:14:08 -0500, Dave Wallaby
<DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

Oh yeah, I should also add, I always thought they were played through
Leslies.
============================
http://www.geocities.com/dyuob/mr8.html

Paul Bawol

Jan 15, 2003, 4:14:00 PM1/15/03
That's one of the classic "Hammond through a Leslie" sounds. Probably a B3,
but it could just as well be one of the other models of Hammond tonewheel
organs. There's just something about moving air, and a Leslie moves a lot of
air. Most digital keyboards have one or more patches which attempt to
emulate it, but, like an old Strat through a Plexi stack, it's often
imitated, never equaled.

IMHO, of course...

...Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."
"Dave Wallaby" <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote in message

Aphelion

Jan 15, 2003, 5:01:01 PM1/15/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:14:00 GMT, "Paul Bawol" <pa...@arcaneaudio.com>
wrote:

>That's one of the classic "Hammond through a Leslie" sounds. Probably a B3,
>but it could just as well be one of the other models of Hammond tonewheel
>organs. There's just something about moving air, and a Leslie moves a lot of
>air. Most digital keyboards have one or more patches which attempt to
>emulate it, but, like an old Strat through a Plexi stack, it's often
>imitated, never equaled.
>
>IMHO, of course...
>
>...Paul

AMEN to that Paul.

Having been in bands that had B3s, M3s(smaller console) and C3s
(Church model B3) I can say nothing equals the sound of the tonewheel
organs pushing dual Leslies. It was physical. (Especially loading them
after the gig).

Ap

Kurt Albershardt

Jan 15, 2003, 5:12:43 PM1/15/03
Aphelion wrote:

> Having been in bands that had B3s, M3s(smaller console) and C3s
> (Church model B3) I can say nothing equals the sound of the tonewheel
> organs pushing dual Leslies. It was physical. (Especially loading them
> after the gig).

Or loading them onto an elevated outdoor stage (minus the ramp) before
the gig.

BTW, check out track #18 on the Royer demo CD for a pretty nice job
capturing a B3/Leslie (SF12 off one corner.)

Aphelion

Jan 15, 2003, 5:36:20 PM1/15/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:12:43 -0800, Kurt Albershardt <ku...@nv.net>
wrote:

Ahhh.. Kurt

Brings back memories.

Getting them up a narrow staircase and drawing straws to see who
was on the low end.

Usually they had the strap on dolly (say, speaking of strap on dollys)
mounted on the sides, with the nice wooden flip up handles.

Ap

Waldo

Jan 15, 2003, 6:24:49 PM1/15/03
Hallo

There's a software called "B4" that should do the trick for ya Dave.
I don't know how it sounds myself but according to fellow musicians
here it's awesome for your ears.

Ã…ke Banksell (Sweden)

"Dave Wallaby" <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]

Waldo

Jan 15, 2003, 6:35:10 PM1/15/03
Oh yeah... Native Instruments B4 PC/MAC

Les Cargill

Jan 15, 2003, 6:55:40 PM1/15/03

Always sounded like a B3 to me.

--
Les Cargill

Jny Vee

Jan 15, 2003, 7:03:07 PM1/15/03
In article <MPG.188f8b1c7...@news.usenetserver.com>, Dave
Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
> With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
> sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
> glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
> replicate with the software I've tried.

hardly a surprise there...

> The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
> you're with.
>
> Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
> with software synths?

NOTHING
(read that word again)
can do what a B3 into a tube 122 can.

who played that part anyway?

--
Perspective is vital to wisdom. It is indeed a good
thing to know that for every ELECTRIC LADYLAND there
>> Help Keep The Net Emoticon Free! <<

Jny Vee

Jan 15, 2003, 7:06:30 PM1/15/03
In article <3e25d92...@news-west.giganews.com>,
too...@fromthesun.com (Aphelion) wrote:

Kieth Emerson in the last Big Gear tour (Welcome back?) with
4 columns of 2-hi stacked 122's (145's? i47's?)
each stack driven by a HIWATT head...
I always wanted to stand in front of THAT without the PA on...

Bob Olhsson

Jan 15, 2003, 7:19:42 PM1/15/03
In article <8akV9.320$F5.2...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, Paul Bawol
<pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:

>Probably a B3,
>but it could just as well be one of the other models of Hammond tonewheel
>organs.

Pretty unlikely. Virtually every studio doing serious work in the early
'70s had a B-3, a grand piano, a Baldwin electric harpsichord they
never used, a Wurlitzer electric piano and lots of stand-up ash trays.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing and Mastering

Bryson

Jan 15, 2003, 7:37:22 PM1/15/03

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> Pretty unlikely. Virtually every studio doing serious work in the early
> '70s had a B-3, a grand piano, a Baldwin electric harpsichord they
> never used, a Wurlitzer electric piano and lots of stand-up ash trays.

But there were still burn marks on the B-3.

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jan 15, 2003, 7:57:46 PM1/15/03

> There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
> With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
> sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
> glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
> replicate with the software I've tried.
>
> The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
> you're with.
>
> Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
> with software synths?

it's obviously a Hammond B3 played through a Leslie amp/rotating
speaker combo.

That is definitely one of my favorite setups to play in in a band
situation, with an organ/Leslie combo behind me. You don't need a rhythm
guitar with one of those comping behind you when you play a solo, and
the instrumental wash sounds great. One band I was in had a Yamaha organ
but played through a Peavey Musician head driving a Leslie cab, then in
the country band I was in the keyboardist had a real Hammond/Leslie
setup that was killer! People used to say that our band sounded like
there were more than the number of people we had onstage.

Other than getting ahold of a real Hammond/Leslie combo, you might
want to try NI's B4 organ VST. Or, if you're skint, Rumpelrausch Taips
makes a fantastic freeware VST organ called the ZR-3 that has some
pretty convincing tonewheel and distortion/drawbar tones, you can find
that here:

http://rumpelrausch.de.vu/

> Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
> synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
> almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!

there's some pretty great organ sounds from that era - I'd suggest
listening to some of Garth Hudson's work in The Band (particularly
"Chest Fever" and "The Shape I'm In"), or some of that great work Larry
Young did with Hendrix (he's the organist on "Rainy Day, Dream Away" and
"Still Raining, Still Dreaming" on _Electric Ladyland_). Other organ
sounds I'm a sucker for is ELP, Jon Lord's work with Deep Purple, Booker
T and the MGs, Gregg Allman's stuff on _Live At The Fillmore East_,
Jerry Corbetta's long Hammond solo on Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady", Rod
Argent's stuff, and Steve Nieve's Vox work with Elvis Costello.

Of course, the ultimate organ overdose has to be Lee Michaels, try to
see if you have a listen to this song called "Do You Know What I Mean?"
Pure B3 cheese :)

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
song #5 - "Cranked Old Man" - now available

Shaquapa

Jan 15, 2003, 8:09:59 PM1/15/03
I nearly herniated my hernia when I read the physical comment. Ain' that
the truth. I had a C3 twenty years ago and I STILL hurt!

Shaq

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message

Mark Spilberg

Jan 15, 2003, 8:38:53 PM1/15/03
Wallaby, kangaroo

Rob Adelman

Jan 15, 2003, 9:19:31 PM1/15/03

Bryson wrote:

> But there were still burn marks on the B-3.

Now they put burn marks in new stuff to simulate the vintage look...

Paul Bawol

Jan 15, 2003, 9:23:56 PM1/15/03
"Kieth Emerson in the last Big Gear tour (Welcome back?) with
4 columns of 2-hi stacked 122's (145's? i47's?)
each stack driven by a HIWATT head...

WARNING! WARNING! These stunts are performed by skilled professionals! Do
not attempt them at home!

In my experience, the Jensen hf driver was VERY disinclined to be driven by
anything more powerful-or distorted- than the Leslie amp. As always, YRMV...

...Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

"Jny Vee" <moc....@ybmurbrevlis.com> wrote in message

Mark Plancke

Jan 15, 2003, 9:56:24 PM1/15/03
Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

>Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
>synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
>almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!

Well the B3 organ is certainly not "gone forever" even if you can't
find "an app that emulates them". I've got one sitting about 20 feet
away from me that I recorded less than a week ago and it is sounding
as fantastic as it did back in 1957 when it was built.

There's no substitute for the real thing and a player that knows what
their doing back there.

I've heard the B4 organ software and it comes close but it is still a
MIDI controlled wannabe. It might get you closer.

Mark
http://SoundtechRecording.com

"Putting the lion's share of your attention and investment out in front
of the microphones pays off every time." -- Bob Olhsson

Mark Plancke

Jan 15, 2003, 10:00:22 PM1/15/03
"Paul Bawol" <pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:

>WARNING! WARNING! These stunts are performed by skilled professionals! Do
>not attempt them at home!
>
>In my experience, the Jensen hf driver was VERY disinclined to be driven by
>anything more powerful-or distorted- than the Leslie amp. As always, YRMV...
>
>...Paul

Perhaps he had other drivers in his Leslies, this is the more than
likely explanation.

Paul Bawol

Jan 15, 2003, 10:31:27 PM1/15/03
" Perhaps he had other drivers in his Leslies, this is the more than
likely explanation."

Yep, probably so. Or cynics might speculate that sometimes amps are stacked
on stage merely for their visual menace. But when I read the description of
the Leslie / Hiwatt stacks, I knew that somewhere a young man had a gleam in
his eye, and if I saved the life of even one stock driver, it was worth the
post...

...Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

"Mark Plancke" <Ma...@SoundtechRecording.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey S. Long

Jan 15, 2003, 10:42:01 PM1/15/03
I had a few thoughts on the Native Instruments B4 soft synth. I have
been playing organ for several years, and I own three Hammond organs
(B200, M3, and A100) and two Leslies. I have, of course, been
searching for "the sound" in some type of portable unit or program,
and when I first heard the B4, I thought I had found it.

I recently recorded with a blues/soul band, and I used the B4 to
overdub some organ parts. I noticed that on the "regular" 8880000
setting, although there are no high harmonics present in the actual
tonebar registration, there is a faint high harmonic in the sound. It
is particularly audible with the Leslie simulator on the fast tremolo
speed. Has anyone else noticed this?

The B4 just can't seem to get the mellow, laid back sound that I want
sometimes. Of course, I know that nothing compares to the "real
thing." Another thing that is lacking in the B4 is the percussion.
The 3rd harmonic percussion just doesn't work as well as I'd like it
to.

Overall, the B4 is one of the best organ simulators I have heard, and
definitely the best I own. I'd put it up against a Korg CX-3,
although I think the Korg sounds better. I've never used the Kurzweil
KB3 (built into the newer K2500's and K2600's) so I can't say how that
is. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

--jeff

Steve Sadler

Jan 15, 2003, 11:31:18 PM1/15/03
Synth Sounds? Synth this, (that's what she said). And, BTW, it was
done on (Analog) tape.

SS

js33

Jan 16, 2003, 12:21:07 AM1/16/03
Those organ sounds are almost always a Hammond B3 playing
through Leslie speakers. They are no longer made unfortunately
but you will see that there are still alot of them in service.
Have you tried Native instruments B4? It is by far the best
B3 emulator available.

Cheers,
JS

Aphelion

Jan 16, 2003, 12:51:30 AM1/16/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:19:42 -0600, Bob Olhsson <o...@hyperback.com>
wrote:

>In article <8akV9.320$F5.2...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, Paul Bawol
><pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:
>
>>Probably a B3,
>>but it could just as well be one of the other models of Hammond tonewheel
>>organs.
>
>Pretty unlikely. Virtually every studio doing serious work in the early
>'70s had a B-3, a grand piano, a Baldwin electric harpsichord they
>never used, a Wurlitzer electric piano and lots of stand-up ash trays.
>
>--
>Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting

Ha! Great to see all the veterans in here.

And look at all of the comments re: Hammond B3.

The beast definitely leaves an impression.

Ap

Jny Vee

Jan 16, 2003, 2:06:34 AM1/16/03
In article <dreibel-EE83FD...@nr-tor02.bellnexxia.net>,

Daniel Dreibelbis <dre...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> there's some pretty great organ sounds from that era - I'd suggest
> listening to some of Garth Hudson's work in The Band (particularly
> "Chest Fever" and "The Shape I'm In"), or some of that great work Larry
> Young did with Hendrix (he's the organist on "Rainy Day, Dream Away" and
> "Still Raining, Still Dreaming" on _Electric Ladyland_). Other organ
> sounds I'm a sucker for is ELP, Jon Lord's work with Deep Purple, Booker
> T and the MGs, Gregg Allman's stuff on _Live At The Fillmore East_,
> Jerry Corbetta's long Hammond solo on Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady", Rod
> Argent's stuff, and Steve Nieve's Vox work with Elvis Costello.
>
> Of course, the ultimate organ overdose has to be Lee Michaels, try to
> see if you have a listen to this song called "Do You Know What I Mean?"
> Pure B3 cheese :)

I didn;t think Michaels played a Hammond...

Jny Vee

Jan 16, 2003, 2:09:01 AM1/16/03
In article <3E2616E8...@mn.rr.com>, Rob Adelman
<rade...@mn.rr.com> wrote:

wow... Special Distressed Look from the Hammond Custom Shop...

Jny Vee

Jan 16, 2003, 2:12:50 AM1/16/03
In article <SIoV9.326$F5.2...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, "Paul Bawol"
<pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:

> "Kieth Emerson in the last Big Gear tour (Welcome back?) with
> 4 columns of 2-hi stacked 122's (145's? i47's?)
> each stack driven by a HIWATT head...
>
> WARNING! WARNING! These stunts are performed by skilled professionals! Do
> not attempt them at home!
>
> In my experience, the Jensen hf driver was VERY disinclined to be driven by
> anything more powerful-or distorted- than the Leslie amp. As always, YRMV...
>
> ...Paul

I think Emerson's Leslies had JBL drivers and custom adjustable
crossovers... seems also there were add-on supplemental second hi-rotor
chop units for each full Leslie

Jny Vee

Jan 16, 2003, 2:14:14 AM1/16/03
In article <%HpV9.328$F5.2...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, "Paul Bawol"
<pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:

> " Perhaps he had other drivers in his Leslies, this is the more than
> likely explanation."
>
> Yep, probably so. Or cynics might speculate that sometimes amps are stacked
> on stage merely for their visual menace. But when I read the description of
> the Leslie / Hiwatt stacks, I knew that somewhere a young man had a gleam in
> his eye, and if I saved the life of even one stock driver, it was worth the
> post...

absolutely. anything beyond the 40watt tube amp that's SUPPOSED to be
in there is taking your driver-life in your hands...

> ...Paul

Strat WI

Jan 16, 2003, 3:02:29 AM1/16/03
Nothing like getting a B3 down some basement stairs for a two hour rehearsal!
It's a four man operation. I remember it well, as well does my back.

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 4:23:31 AM1/16/03
> Ha! Great to see all the veterans in here.
>
> And look at all of the comments re: Hammond B3.
>
> The beast definitely leaves an impression.
>
> Ap

Eh, Eh, The B3 is the organ, everything else is landscape.

But indeed it was a pain in the arse to take it with the band plus the
leslie, gee...

The NI B4 does a great Job.... I know it's not the real thing but it sounds
like it and it's fully controlable via midi like the real one...

P.G.

Waldo

Jan 16, 2003, 6:33:44 AM1/16/03

Daniel Dreibelbis <dre...@sympatico.ca> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:dreibel-EE83FD...@nr-tor02.bellnexx
ia.net...

Hello organlovers....

You forgot "The dream is over" by Crowded House.
and there's another hot organ playing @:
http://w1.852.telia.com/~u85207291/blowing.wma

Ben B. Tench

> --
> Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
> song #5 - "Cranked Old Man" - now available
> http://www.mp3.com/dan_dreibelbis

---

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 7:12:04 AM1/16/03
Is that you playing?

jp

Jan 16, 2003, 8:23:50 AM1/16/03
check out anything by Jimmy Smith or Jimmy McGriff

jp

Patrick Covert

Jan 16, 2003, 8:16:05 AM1/16/03
In article <150120031903073132%moc....@ybmurbrevlis.com>, Jny Vee
<moc....@ybmurbrevlis.com> wrote:

>In article <MPG.188f8b1c7...@news.usenetserver.com>, Dave
>Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
>> With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
>> sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
>> glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
>> replicate with the software I've tried.
>
>hardly a surprise there...
>

>> The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
>> you're with.
>>
>> Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
>> with software synths?
>
>NOTHING
>(read that word again)
>can do what a B3 into a tube 122 can.
>
>who played that part anyway?

Probably Steve Stills. As I recall he played most of the instruments,
except Dallas Taylor's drums.

Patrick Covert

Jan 16, 2003, 8:17:59 AM1/16/03

>Howdy,
>
>There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
>With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
>sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
>glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
>replicate with the software I've tried.
>

>The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
>you're with.
>
>Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
>with software synths?
>

>Well, I do have a Yamaha EX-5, but haven't heard this sound from it
>yet...
>

>Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
>synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
>almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!
>

>Thanks and love,

Spend some time on alt.music.hammond-organ

THey'll happily debate the various Hammond clones, both software and
with real keyboards, till the world ends.

Waldo

Jan 16, 2003, 8:37:46 AM1/16/03

--Paulo Gomes <paulo.a...@netcabo.pt> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:b0676l$m1ojb$1...@ID-159937.news.dfncis.de...
> Is that you playing?

Yepp!

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 9:59:14 AM1/16/03
I am a bit blown away by the collective knowledge of that warm fuzzy
70's period. It's quite cool to hear stories about lifting, what I
presume were giant dense organs atop stairless rampless stages - hahaha!

Some of you guys, apparently, can appreciate the Hammond B3 in more ways
than one! It's little stuff like this that makes life rich.

ELP - now there is a group that knows it's way around a synthesizer.
Brain Salad Surgery has some great experimental stuff, fairly unrivaled
in my listening - quick and imaginitive keyboardist - was it Greg, or
Keith, or hmmm...wasn't there a guy from Yes in there....and then one or
more went on to form Asia, eh?

I actually have the Native Instruments B4, just haven't felt it out
yet...but now I am a bit sad:

I believe you all when you say nothing can sound like a B3 through a
leslie, and I bet both pieces are vintage, no longer made, and fetch
thousands and thousands on auction at Sotheby's.

After hearing you guys describe the melted gold sound of the Hammond B3,
I feel like I am being cheated not owning one. But I can't very well
trade in necessary items like my fur sink, or my gasoline powered
turtleneck sweater for a luxury item like a B3...can I?

Love,

Dave

Oh..you will all HATE me for saying this, but The Fixx has some great
synth sounds, very creative, and David Bowie, in the song, "Criminal
World" has a sound I think might be a B3?

http://www.raygun.us/david_bowie_criminal_world.mp3

Whatever it is, I love it, and it reminds me of the cheesy but wonderful
sounds that old black and white tv shows used to play, round about the
time that Superman was playing in black and white, and I was a little
tiny tike, but even then, with a very focused ear to music.

Old TV had some great orchestral and synthsized sounds, and now adays,
it's mostly cheap looped stuff that tastes like air bloated whipped
cream after it's already 99% fluff.

So, Aphy, you been around huh?

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 10:02:36 AM1/16/03
Yup...just listened to "Do you know what I mean" by Michaels, and the
organ sound didn't hit me at all, like the splices mentioned in the
other songs.

Is it a Hammond b3? Didn't have that golden glass on melted butter tubes
being ripped around a sunlit beach side picnic sound.

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 10:38:57 AM1/16/03
very non-sequitur hodgepodge:

The JX16 comes with Cubase, and I think it has some very fat analog
sounds, like the 808 lead and the "5th Sweep Pad." And my Yamaha EX-7
has some way over sounds too (to quote elvis as quoted by Dread Zepplin
in their version of Stairway to Heaven.)

Does the JX16 have as gilded a history as the Hammond? So far, my awe
and idolatry is for the Hammand B3...but what other 70's setups had
sound that was rather heavenly?

I am a little surprised too that the GM piano that is apparently on all
modern Windows PC's, as played with my little Bome's Mouse Keyboard,
sounds nearly as good as the big "The Grand" piano CD set. I thought
there would be a big difference, or is my hearing just poor? Does anyone
else thing "The Grand" sounds leagues and miles better than the standard
GM piano?

Check out this fantastic version of a rasta and an Elvis impersonator
doing stairway to heaven. At the end, the Elvis guy goes up the scale
pretty admirably I'd say!

http://www.raygun.us/dread_zeppelin_stairway_to_heaven.mp3

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 10:53:36 AM1/16/03
Okay, so I'm playing with the NI B4 app, WOH! very hep my rocking so
hard on newsgroups friends.

I do indeed think this is the sound used in David Bowie's "Criminal
World."

There are SOO many settings though, one could play until infinity and
still never get the exact same sound as the next guy. Some of the
buttons don't seem to make a difference: like the percussion rocker
switch...

...while the rotator speaker selector makes a big difference. So was
this an actual mechanical rotating speaker?

I am going to go do some research on the physics of this thing...can't
believe mankind exists, and then it went on to make such clever little
things as organs. what are we here for anyway?

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 10:55:42 AM1/16/03
It would be cool to hear what this thing can do from someone who knows
what the bloody hekkies they are doing...

lvoe,

-me

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 11:59:41 AM1/16/03

> It would be cool to hear what this thing can do from someone who knows
> what the bloody hekkies they are doing...

Look here
http://vg.clubcubase.pp.nu/download_mp3.htm

The 3rd song.

P.G.

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jan 16, 2003, 12:32:45 PM1/16/03
In article <MPG.189092cf...@news.usenetserver.com>,
Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

> ELP - now there is a group that knows it's way around a synthesizer.
> Brain Salad Surgery has some great experimental stuff, fairly unrivaled
> in my listening - quick and imaginitive keyboardist - was it Greg, or
> Keith, or hmmm...wasn't there a guy from Yes in there....and then one or
> more went on to form Asia, eh?

the great Keith Emerson, yep he was one great organist and synthesist
(and a pretty good pianist too). It's too bad about the surgery he had
to endure on his arms after years of pounding on his keyboards, plus his
being left with balls and change after his last divorce. Last I had
heard he was doodling around with a Sound Canvas...

Carl Palmer helped form Asia, and AFAIK has always been the drummer
on all their albums. Interestingly, they had Greg Lake in the band for a
short while to help them meet some contractural obligations on some
shows they did in London after John Wetton was thrown out for awhile.

I have some Emerson stuff here at home, a two-record set Mercury
Records put out in the US that was a compilation of his work with The
Nice but released under his own name, and this one album he did with
Carl on Geffen called _3_ that's pretty good

Aphelion

Jan 16, 2003, 12:46:56 PM1/16/03
On 16 Jan 2003 05:23:50 -0800, apt...@comcast.net (jp) wrote:

>check out anything by Jimmy Smith or Jimmy McGriff
>
>jp

Or San Francisco/LA based musician Bill Champlin.
Great singer as well.

Ap

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jan 16, 2003, 12:45:34 PM1/16/03
In article <MPG.18909c212...@news.usenetserver.com>,
Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

> Check out this fantastic version of a rasta and an Elvis impersonator
> doing stairway to heaven. At the end, the Elvis guy goes up the scale
> pretty admirably I'd say!

Dread Zeppelin! I saw them at a club gig with the original lineup,
and they were fantastic, both visually and musically. Tortelvis even got
behind the drum kit and bashed out the solo to "Moby Dick".

Just so you know, they've actually recorded two very different
arrangements of Stairway, and at the live gig I saw they did another
arrangement!

you really should search out for the CDs _Un-Led-Ed_, _5,000,000_ and
_Hot And Spicy Beanburger_ , though it's a one-joke band it's a joke
well-told :)

Bob Olhsson

Jan 16, 2003, 1:12:39 PM1/16/03
In article <3E25FEBF...@mindspring.com>, Bryson
<red...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>But there were still burn marks on the B-3.

Absolutely because keybosrd players often had more than one cigarette
going at once!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting

Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing and Mastering
615.352.7635 FAX 615.356.2483 Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
40 years of making people sound better than they thought possible!

wurly

Jan 16, 2003, 1:25:27 PM1/16/03
Yer goll dang right Lee Michaels played a Hammond B3. I saw him back
on the "Do You Know What I Mean" tour in the early 70's. Just Lee, a
B3, his drummer Frosty, and the biggest collection of leslies I've
ever seen on stage in my life. We're talkin' 20 0r 30 leslies here.
Maybe more.

The Hammond sounded great, Frosty played his considerable ass off, and
Lee was so messed up he couldn't remember two thirds of the lyrics to
his own songs. Still a great show that I'll never forget.

Does anybody know what happened to Lee Michaels?

Leslie speaker cabinets (now owned by Suzuki) are still manufactured
now, but with solid state amps, not the old 40 watt tube amps that we
all remember so fondly. My 1959 model 122 leslie has 4- 6V6 output
pentodes.

Old Hammonds never die, they just get heavier.

wurly

PS: And don't forget, there's nothing like the real thing.

PPS: what synth?....LMFBO

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 1:29:40 PM1/16/03
So that was all virtual guitar? Not a real axe in sight? Cool.

What settings did you use for the B4? There are the presets, and then
the classic/pure/dirty/filthy settings. Your settings sound really a
LOT like the sound Rod Stewart and Crosby, STills, and Nash got. Great
job man!

The NI b4 rocks very hard. Nice work Paulo!

-DW

Subject: Re: Organ sound in Anyone have any cool Cubase/Sonar projects
or midi files for the NI B4 organ?
From: "Paulo Gomes" <paulo.a...@netcabo.pt>
Newsgroups: alt.music.4-track, alt.steinberg.cubase, rec.audio.pro

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:59:41 -0000

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 1:30:46 PM1/16/03
cool! didn't know there was a group of groupies :)

thanks!

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 1:50:35 PM1/16/03

> Old Hammonds never die, they just get heavier.

Or one get weak

Bob Olhsson

Jan 16, 2003, 1:49:41 PM1/16/03
In article <MPG.18909f899...@news.usenetserver.com>, Dave
Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

>one could play until infinity and
>still never get the exact same sound as the next guy.

This is true of a real B-3 as well. The "sound" changes with different
keys too so even if you had the original instrument and player, that
particular sound might not work.

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 1:56:26 PM1/16/03
> So that was all virtual guitar? Not a real axe in sight? Cool.

yup, everything is virtual stuff, except for the vox.

> What settings did you use for the B4? There are the presets, and then
> the classic/pure/dirty/filthy settings. Your settings sound really a
> LOT like the sound Rod Stewart and Crosby, STills, and Nash got. Great
> job man!

Thanks man, Don't know what setting I used, but it wasn't any of the presets
for sure, in fact the draw bars, expression pedal, Leslie, and amplifier are
always changin along the song driven by a midi track.

> The NI b4 rocks very hard. Nice work Paulo!

Yeh, it's the best simulation I've ever heard... Only the real thing can
beat it.... but this one doesn't take room you don't have to switch the
tubes, is always un tune and it's easy to carry.

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 2:04:01 PM1/16/03

> Yepp!

Hmmm... you play OK and the organ is very clean, what have you used?

Still, if you allow me, everything is in the right spot like if it was
quantized... I like it a little more wild, just my opinion.

P.G.

Dave Wallaby

Jan 16, 2003, 1:59:14 PM1/16/03
That song that Paul Gomez posted has a bit of ELP sound in it's B4
play...some exactly like some on Brain Salad Surgery. First time I've
ever heard a Latin speaking singer rock this hard!

So what happened to Keith Emerson's arms????? Did he play harder than
Jerry Lee Lewis? Hmmm...didn't know pianist had complications in their
arms....

James

Jan 16, 2003, 2:09:07 PM1/16/03
I would be interested to hear your of opinions of the chorus/vibrato
settings on the Native Instruments B4 and the Korg CX3. I currently
still lug a A100 and 122 for live shows, but in the past I had an XB2
thru the 122 and got some convincing sounds except for the chorus
vibrato settings.

For me its all about boxed/waterfall keys and the fact that you have
the physical presence of the beast itself between you and the crowd.
There is a certain "standing" you get with the Hammond that makes it
worth it for me. Of course I dont do 5 one nighters a week, so temper
my statements with that in mind.

I have a guy bringing a CX3 to my scratchpad studio next week. Will
let you know if my opinions change. By the way the Kurzweil KB3 stuff
is less convincing and way more of a pain in the ass in my opinion.
Its nice because you get a lot of other stuff with it but I would not
buy one just for the organ patches.

gott...@hotmail.com (Jeffrey S. Long) wrote in message news:<69cd9a1c.03011...@posting.google.com>...
> I had a few thoughts on the Native Instruments B4 soft synth. I have
> been playing organ for several years, and I own three Hammond organs
> (B200, M3, and A100) and two Leslies. I have, of course, been
> searching for "the sound" in some type of portable unit or program,
> and when I first heard the B4, I thought I had found it.
>
> I recently recorded with a blues/soul band, and I used the B4 to
> overdub some organ parts. I noticed that on the "regular" 8880000
> setting, although there are no high harmonics present in the actual
> tonebar registration, there is a faint high harmonic in the sound. It
> is particularly audible with the Leslie simulator on the fast tremolo
> speed. Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> The B4 just can't seem to get the mellow, laid back sound that I want
> sometimes. Of course, I know that nothing compares to the "real
> thing." Another thing that is lacking in the B4 is the percussion.
> The 3rd harmonic percussion just doesn't work as well as I'd like it
> to.
>
> Overall, the B4 is one of the best organ simulators I have heard, and
> definitely the best I own. I'd put it up against a Korg CX-3,
> although I think the Korg sounds better. I've never used the Kurzweil
> KB3 (built into the newer K2500's and K2600's) so I can't say how that
> is. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
>
> --jeff

Waldo

Jan 16, 2003, 2:20:36 PM1/16/03

"Paulo Gomes" <paulo.a...@netcabo.pt> skrev i meddelandet

Well I think I simply used my hands there. :)
Do you believe the contrary to quantize is wild?
There are no quantizings on that recording and you're right
it could have been played with a lot more wild temper.
But my playing knownledge at the time for the recording wasn't
of the greater amount. I'd been playing for a week or so.

The instrument used is a Hammond XB-1

Waldo

Analogeezer

Jan 16, 2003, 2:39:54 PM1/16/03
Rob Adelman <rade...@mn.rr.com> wrote in message news:<3E2616E8...@mn.rr.com>...

> Bryson wrote:
>

> > But there were still burn marks on the B-3.
>
> Now they put burn marks in new stuff to simulate the vintage look...

Don't laugh, there is a mellotron plugin that features an "image skin"
that has "Coffee stain rings" on the top panel. I think it's called
the G-tron.

Analogeezer

Aphelion

Jan 16, 2003, 2:59:08 PM1/16/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:32:45 -0500, Daniel Dreibelbis
<dre...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>In article <MPG.189092cf...@news.usenetserver.com>,
> Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:
>
>> ELP - now there is a group that knows it's way around a synthesizer.
>> Brain Salad Surgery has some great experimental stuff, fairly unrivaled
>> in my listening - quick and imaginitive keyboardist - was it Greg, or
>> Keith, or hmmm...wasn't there a guy from Yes in there....and then one or
>> more went on to form Asia, eh?
>
> the great Keith Emerson, yep he was one great organist and synthesist
>(and a pretty good pianist too). It's too bad about the surgery he had
>to endure on his arms after years of pounding on his keyboards, plus his
>being left with balls and change after his last divorce. Last I had
>heard he was doodling around with a Sound Canvas...
>
> Carl Palmer helped form Asia, and AFAIK has always been the drummer
>on all their albums. Interestingly, they had Greg Lake in the band for a
>short while to help them meet some contractural obligations on some
>shows they did in London after John Wetton was thrown out for awhile.
>
> I have some Emerson stuff here at home, a two-record set Mercury
>Records put out in the US that was a compilation of his work with The
>Nice but released under his own name, and this one album he did with
>Carl on Geffen called _3_ that's pretty good

Speaking of The Nice, (and to really date myself) I saw a show that
featured "The Nice" as opener for Jimi Hendrix, this was aroung 1966
or 67. At leat I think it was "The Nice". I remember that the guy
lifted his B3 as part of the show. Reached over the top and grabbed a
handhold and tilted the damn thing off the ground while still playing
with one hand.

Who was that?

Ap

Dyuob Poltice

Jan 16, 2003, 2:38:04 PM1/16/03
On 16 Jan 2003 11:09:07 -0800, a100h...@yahoo.com (James) wrote:

>For me its all about boxed/waterfall keys and the fact that you have
>the physical presence of the beast itself between you and the crowd.
>There is a certain "standing" you get with the Hammond that makes it
>worth it for me. Of course I dont do 5 one nighters a week, so temper
>my statements with that in mind.

What alsays did it for me was just watching that Leslie spin. The
first time I saw a B3 with a Leslie I was fascinated. I couldn't take
my eyes off that cabnet. When I found out the music department at the
highschool I was in had a Leslie, I just about died.
I was all over that cabnet, figuring out how it worked, what it did.
LOL!
============================
http://www.geocities.com/dyuob/mr8.html

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 3:30:34 PM1/16/03

> Well I think I simply used my hands there. :)
> Do you believe the contrary to quantize is wild?

Well I guess you understood what I meant with wild, still, congratulations
if that's your way of playing I must say that I can't play like you, I'm
always a little bit out of tempo.

> There are no quantizings on that recording and you're right
> it could have been played with a lot more wild temper.
> But my playing knownledge at the time for the recording wasn't
> of the greater amount. I'd been playing for a week or so.

Really? Man you're a miracle only one week and you learned all that, once
again congratulations.

> The instrument used is a Hammond XB-1

Yep, sounds great.

Paulo Gomes

Jan 16, 2003, 3:33:20 PM1/16/03
> That song that Paul Gomez posted has a bit of ELP sound in it's B4
> play...some exactly like some on Brain Salad Surgery. First time I've
> ever heard a Latin speaking singer rock this hard!

Hmmm. The thing is that here no recording company ever recorded an hard
band, it escapes me why, we got good rock bands and only the shit comes up,
I'm truly sorry to say this but that's the sad story of the rock music in
Portugal

Paulo Gomes

Charles Thomas

Jan 16, 2003, 4:22:39 PM1/16/03

Daniel Dreibelbis wrote:

>Of course, the ultimate organ overdose has to be Lee Michaels, try to
>see if you have a listen to this song called "Do You Know What I Mean?"
>Pure B3 cheese :)

I fell in love with Hammonds because of Boston's first two albums. But
then when you get to know that sound... you just love it anywhere. Greg
Rollie on the live version of "Walks Like A Lady", by Journey? Gotta
love it! And nothing makes an early Tom Petty song work like Benmont
Tench's Hammond.

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jan 16, 2003, 6:00:40 PM1/16/03
In article <MPG.1890cb0d9...@news.usenetserver.com>,
Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:

> So what happened to Keith Emerson's arms????? Did he play harder than
> Jerry Lee Lewis? Hmmm...didn't know pianist had complications in their
> arms....

_Keyboard_ did a major story on Keith's condition in the early 1990s,
apparently he suffered from radial nerve damage as a result of playing
heavily over the decades, which meant he was playing in some pain for
awhile. It involved some pretty radical surgey on his arms to correct.

Jeffrey S. Long

Jan 16, 2003, 7:02:31 PM1/16/03
The chorus/vibrato on the B4 I'm actually pretty happy with. On the
C-3 setting, I can get a pretty convincing Jimmy Smith sound. It's
just that nasty high overtone that bugs the heck out of me. Get the
demo of the B4 and see if you notice it as well. I would love to have
a K2600 for a number of other reasons, not only the KB3 mode. :)

By the way, how are you hooking up your A100 to the Leslie? I got the
A100 from a church--it seems to have the standard 5 pin tone cabinet
connection. Did you do a mod to convert it to 6 pin?

-jeff

js33

Jan 16, 2003, 8:34:54 PM1/16/03
Of course Bill has been playing keyboards for Chicago for the last 20 years.

Cheers,
JS

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message

Steve Myers

Jan 16, 2003, 8:41:41 PM1/16/03
> >one could play until infinity and
> >still never get the exact same sound as the next guy.
>
> This is true of a real B-3 as well. The "sound" changes with different
> keys too so even if you had the original instrument and player, that
> particular sound might not work.

I've lurked long enough through this thread.
Booker T. Jones, an actual human, played the organ on that record. So far,
nobody has seemed to think this was worthy of mention.

Aphelion

Jan 16, 2003, 8:57:48 PM1/16/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:34:54 GMT, "js33" <js...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Of course Bill has been playing keyboards for Chicago for the last 20 years.
>
>Cheers,
>JS

Cool, at least somebody knows who he is.

I used to see the Sons (of Champlin) when they came to town, was
always an interesting band.

They're playing around again and have a couple of new CDs.

http://www.sonsofchamplin.com/

Ap

js33

Jan 16, 2003, 10:49:46 PM1/16/03
I don't remember them but know of them from looking at the Chicago website.
Also Bill has been with Chicago for 20 years and they still refer to him as
one
of the new guys. hehehehe Well that's better than one of the old farts.
hehehehe

Cheers,
JS

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message

jroykirk

Jan 17, 2003, 12:41:00 AM1/17/03
They had a spotlite years back on Dread Zeppelin, that Totelvis was
great in interviews! Very hilarious band! Would love to get all
their videos too.

I've tried many vst synths and my favorites are:

Albino and pro-53 for analog, FM7 for fm sounds, the awesome B-4 I use
on everything because it sounds so good, The Grand for piano, plus I
use Kontakt and a stack of sample discs, and Edirol Orchestra, plus
Battery for drums. I likes Waves plugins the best, but the B-4 sounds
really nice through the Blue Tubes tube overdrive for that fuzzy
Boston sound. Absynth is nice for background textures, there's a
neat analog synth called Space Synth for spacey 70's kind of sounds.
I'm a real vst-i addict!

Can't forget Amplitube for guitar - oh man that's awesome!

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 8:47:50 AM1/17/03
It's not moving the organ, it's then going back for the two Leslie 147s.
Poppa John kicks butt, but his gear is a pain in the ass, neck, back and
some places you never knew you had.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

I have never in my life used any equipment that works well enough,
is reliable enough, and sounds good enough.
--scott dorsey

"Kurt Albershardt" <ku...@nv.net> wrote in message
> Aphelion wrote:
> >
> > Having been in bands that had B3s, M3s(smaller console) and C3s
> > (Church model B3) I can say nothing equals the sound of the tonewheel
> > organs pushing dual Leslies. It was physical. (Especially loading them
> > after the gig).
>
> Or loading them onto an elevated outdoor stage (minus the ramp) before
> the gig.
>
> BTW, check out track #18 on the Royer demo CD for a pretty nice job
> capturing a B3/Leslie (SF12 off one corner.)

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 8:50:29 AM1/17/03
Not only that, but it simply was part of the sound. I can understand Keith
doing a refurb because SR wasn't all that great in the early 70s, but still
there's nothing better than a Leslie amp on full tilt with a B3.

--

"Paul Bawol" <pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote in message
> "Kieth Emerson in the last Big Gear tour (Welcome back?) with
> 4 columns of 2-hi stacked 122's (145's? i47's?)
> each stack driven by a HIWATT head...
>
> WARNING! WARNING! These stunts are performed by skilled professionals! Do
> not attempt them at home!
>
> In my experience, the Jensen hf driver was VERY disinclined to be driven
by
> anything more powerful-or distorted- than the Leslie amp. As always,
YRMV...

> ...Paul
>

> --
> "In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."
>

> "Jny Vee" <moc....@ybmurbrevlis.com> wrote in message
> > In article <3e25d92...@news-west.giganews.com>,
> > too...@fromthesun.com (Aphelion) wrote:

> B3,
> tonewheel
> lot of

> > > AMEN to that Paul.

> > > Having been in bands that had B3s, M3s(smaller console) and C3s
> > > (Church model B3) I can say nothing equals the sound of the tonewheel
> > > organs pushing dual Leslies. It was physical. (Especially loading them
> > > after the gig).
> >

> > Kieth Emerson in the last Big Gear tour (Welcome back?) with
> > 4 columns of 2-hi stacked 122's (145's? i47's?)
> > each stack driven by a HIWATT head...
> > I always wanted to stand in front of THAT without the PA on...
> >

> > --
> > Perspective is vital to wisdom. It is indeed a good
> > thing to know that for every ELECTRIC LADYLAND there
> > were months/years/decades of tracking The Archies.

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 8:52:14 AM1/17/03
Oh, speaking of Leslies John... When do I get to play? I want to see what
that little baby will do with a few of the X3 organ sounds now that
aftertouch doesn't seem to want to work (it needs a good cleaning).

--

> In article <%HpV9.328$F5.2...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, "Paul Bawol"
> <pa...@arcaneaudio.com> wrote:
>
> > " Perhaps he had other drivers in his Leslies, this is the more than
> > likely explanation."
> >
> > Yep, probably so. Or cynics might speculate that sometimes amps are
stacked
> > on stage merely for their visual menace. But when I read the description
of
> > the Leslie / Hiwatt stacks, I knew that somewhere a young man had a
gleam in
> > his eye, and if I saved the life of even one stock driver, it was worth
the
> > post...
>
> absolutely. anything beyond the 40watt tube amp that's SUPPOSED to be
> in there is taking your driver-life in your hands...
>

> > ...Paul

Roger W. Norman

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:12:46 AM1/17/03
Man, don't be puttin' no low resolution mp3 up here to HEAR the sound of an
organ, wma or not.

--

"Waldo" <fws...@tninet.se> wrote in message

> [...]
> > sounds I'm a sucker for is ELP, Jon Lord's work with Deep Purple, Booker
> > T and the MGs, Gregg Allman's stuff on _Live At The Fillmore East_,
> > Jerry Corbetta's long Hammond solo on Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady", Rod
> > Argent's stuff, and Steve Nieve's Vox work with Elvis Costello.

> > Of course, the ultimate organ overdose has to be Lee Michaels, try to
> > see if you have a listen to this song called "Do You Know What I Mean?"
> > Pure B3 cheese :)
>

> Hello organlovers....
>
> You forgot "The dream is over" by Crowded House.
> and there's another hot organ playing @:
> http://w1.852.telia.com/~u85207291/blowing.wma
>

> Ben B. Tench

> > --
> > Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
> > song #5 - "Cranked Old Man" - now available

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:15:17 AM1/17/03
Irene Reid has a great B3 player, and Poppa John can't be beat if real B3
playin' is what you want.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Ro...@SirMusicStudio.com
301-585-4681

I have never in my life used any equipment that works well enough,
is reliable enough, and sounds good enough.
--scott dorsey

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message
> On 16 Jan 2003 05:23:50 -0800, apt...@comcast.net (jp) wrote:
>

> >check out anything by Jimmy Smith or Jimmy McGriff
> >
> >jp

> Or San Francisco/LA based musician Bill Champlin.
> Great singer as well.
>
> Ap

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:18:47 AM1/17/03
A C3 has about 12 hours left on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2500173051&category=1289.
If it weren't this particular time of the year I'd be bidding on it.

--

> I am a bit blown away by the collective knowledge of that warm fuzzy
> 70's period. It's quite cool to hear stories about lifting, what I
> presume were giant dense organs atop stairless rampless stages - hahaha!
>
> Some of you guys, apparently, can appreciate the Hammond B3 in more ways
> than one! It's little stuff like this that makes life rich.

> ELP - now there is a group that knows it's way around a synthesizer.
> Brain Salad Surgery has some great experimental stuff, fairly unrivaled
> in my listening - quick and imaginitive keyboardist - was it Greg, or
> Keith, or hmmm...wasn't there a guy from Yes in there....and then one or
> more went on to form Asia, eh?
>

> I actually have the Native Instruments B4, just haven't felt it out
> yet...but now I am a bit sad:
>
> I believe you all when you say nothing can sound like a B3 through a
> leslie, and I bet both pieces are vintage, no longer made, and fetch
> thousands and thousands on auction at Sotheby's.
>
> After hearing you guys describe the melted gold sound of the Hammond B3,
> I feel like I am being cheated not owning one. But I can't very well
> trade in necessary items like my fur sink, or my gasoline powered
> turtleneck sweater for a luxury item like a B3...can I?
>
> Love,
>
> Dave
>
> Oh..you will all HATE me for saying this, but The Fixx has some great
> synth sounds, very creative, and David Bowie, in the song, "Criminal
> World" has a sound I think might be a B3?
>
> http://www.raygun.us/david_bowie_criminal_world.mp3
>
> Whatever it is, I love it, and it reminds me of the cheesy but wonderful
> sounds that old black and white tv shows used to play, round about the
> time that Superman was playing in black and white, and I was a little
> tiny tike, but even then, with a very focused ear to music.
>
> Old TV had some great orchestral and synthsized sounds, and now adays,
> it's mostly cheap looped stuff that tastes like air bloated whipped
> cream after it's already 99% fluff.
>
> So, Aphy, you been around huh?

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:21:45 AM1/17/03
Keith had to have some bone removed to allow his nerve truck to come done
his arm unfettered, plus he had some carpel tunnel complications. He's one
guy that defines "banging" on the instrument (little did my mom know just
how quietly I was really playing).

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Ro...@SirMusicStudio.com
301-585-4681

I have never in my life used any equipment that works well enough,
is reliable enough, and sounds good enough.
--scott dorsey

"Dave Wallaby" <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote in message

Roger W. Norman

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:32:01 AM1/17/03
Must have gone to music school with Dave Mason. The only concert I've ever
been to where the crowd knew the lyrics better than the artist. Then again
I guess he was spending all his mental power on just standing up. Totally
turned me off of Dave Mason regardless of how I liked his albums.

--

"wurly" <latc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Yer goll dang right Lee Michaels played a Hammond B3. I saw him back
> on the "Do You Know What I Mean" tour in the early 70's. Just Lee, a
> B3, his drummer Frosty, and the biggest collection of leslies I've
> ever seen on stage in my life. We're talkin' 20 0r 30 leslies here.
> Maybe more.
>
> The Hammond sounded great, Frosty played his considerable ass off, and
> Lee was so messed up he couldn't remember two thirds of the lyrics to
> his own songs. Still a great show that I'll never forget.
>
> Does anybody know what happened to Lee Michaels?
>
> Leslie speaker cabinets (now owned by Suzuki) are still manufactured
> now, but with solid state amps, not the old 40 watt tube amps that we
> all remember so fondly. My 1959 model 122 leslie has 4- 6V6 output
> pentodes.
>
> Old Hammonds never die, they just get heavier.
>
> wurly
>
> PS: And don't forget, there's nothing like the real thing.
>
> PPS: what synth?....LMFBO

Roger W. Norman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:33:47 AM1/17/03
That's apparently happening here, too. One of the longest threads in a
while, even with the recent Eminem thread.

--

"Patrick Covert" <cov...@nospam.capital.net> wrote in message

> In article <MPG.188f8b1c7...@news.usenetserver.com>, Dave
> Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:
>

> >Howdy,

> >There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
> >With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
> >sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
> >glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
> >replicate with the software I've tried.
> >
> >The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
> >you're with.
> >
> >Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
> >with software synths?
> >

> >Well, I do have a Yamaha EX-5, but haven't heard this sound from it
> >yet...

> >Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
> >synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
> >almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!
> >

> >Thanks and love,
>
> Spend some time on alt.music.hammond-organ
>
> THey'll happily debate the various Hammond clones, both software and
> with real keyboards, till the world ends.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Rob Adelman

Jan 17, 2003, 9:38:44 AM1/17/03
I recently bought a Peavy Tube Sweetener and a Dynacord digital rotor unit
to try to get something close to a Hammond/Leslie sound.
<http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3734086/1042813594833_keyboard_effects.jpg>

Of course it is not the real thing but I am getting something a lot closer
than when I was relying on the rotor and distortion simulation built into
the Alesis keyboard's organ samples. The distortion when overdriving the
Peavey's tubes is pretty nice and the Dynacord actually emulates the higher
and lower rotor sections and they speed up and slow down at different speeds
just like a Leslie. I'll have to record something and post it to hear. Oh
and my keyboard monitor system has a sub woofer so the lows are all there
too.
<http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3734086/1042813593993_keyboard.jpg>

-Rob

Dave Wallaby wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
> With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
> sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
> glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
> replicate with the software I've tried.
>
> The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
> you're with.
>
> Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
> with software synths?
>
> Well, I do have a Yamaha EX-5, but haven't heard this sound from it
> yet...
>
> Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
> synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
> almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!
>
> Thanks and love,
>

> Dave Wallaby
>
> http://www.davidbowie.us/love.mp3 here is crosby still nash love the one
> you're with

Will Hunt

Jan 17, 2003, 9:48:09 AM1/17/03

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

> That's apparently happening here, too. One of the longest threads in a
> while, even with the recent Eminem thread.
>
> --

So... anyone wanna help move my C3 and Leslie? It's just across a
freezing room, down a flight of stairs with
a right angle turn, across the ice, lift into a truck, across town, up an
icy walk, up a couple stairs, around a corner and it's there!!

Free hot chocolate!

This kill the sucker in no time. Gloucester,
Massachusetts. USA

Will

Lyle Caldwell

Jan 17, 2003, 10:30:38 AM1/17/03
Booker didn't play the B3 on the Stax stuff. It was a "lesser" Hammond.
That said, Booker *can* play the hell out of a B3.

--
Lyle Caldwell
Psionic Media, Inc.

"Roger W. Norman" <rno...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Aphelion

Jan 17, 2003, 12:40:59 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:07:49 -0500, "Roger W. Norman"
<rno...@starpower.net> wrote:

>Then by all means, do not watch a set of vibes or you'll go crazy.
>
>--
>

>Roger W. Norman
>SirMusic Studio
>Ro...@SirMusicStudio.com
>301-585-4681

Butterfly spin? :-)

Heh....

Dave Martin

Jan 17, 2003, 2:40:25 PM1/17/03
I'd be happy to help you move it, as long as I can move it into a track and
bring it home top Tennessee...

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

"Will Hunt" <will...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Paul Bawol

Jan 17, 2003, 3:52:33 PM1/17/03
Only because this thread shows promise of breaking some sort of record,
technically a 6V6 is not a pentode, but, rather, a beam power tube...

...sorry, I'll try not to be so petty again, Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

Dave Wallaby

Jan 17, 2003, 4:42:49 PM1/17/03
.

Dave Wallaby

Jan 17, 2003, 5:12:58 PM1/17/03
Todd Rundgren "Hello it's me" right?

Did anyone see him with Alan Parsons in their little Beatle's tribute
tour and Ann Wilson (the dark haired one sang)...

What a fantastic show, but the high light was Ann Wilson...easily the
greatest female rock vocalist...the power of her voice live...sends one
to various galaxies and places in time.

Will Hunt

Jan 17, 2003, 5:43:25 PM1/17/03

Dave Wallaby wrote:

I missed the one with Ann Wilson- saw last summer's tour with Jack Bruce.
(and Mark Farner !) (And Alan Parsons) Well done.
Sunshine of Your Love had 'everyone up screaming....

Will

Shaquapa

Jan 17, 2003, 7:23:51 PM1/17/03
Ann Wilson is great, but how about Patti Russo? That would be a tough call!

Shaq

"Dave Wallaby" <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote in message

Paul Bawol

Jan 18, 2003, 12:54:14 AM1/18/03
I dunno, maybe I missed it, but I hate to see this thread die without at
least a passing mention of The Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin".
C'mon, admit it, a lot of us heard it as a single on the tube AM radio in
Dad's car, that little vibrator humming to itself somewhere under the dash.

I think it's fair to conjecture that some black drawbars were pulled out on
that one.Stevie ain't playin' no Farfisa...

...Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

"Daniel Dreibelbis" <dre...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> In article <MPG.188f8b1c7...@news.usenetserver.com>,
> Dave Wallaby <DaveW...@wallabyboo.com> wrote:
>

> > There are some very sweet synth/organ sounds in "Love the One You're
> > With" and in the Rod Stewart song. I have played with lots of synth
> > sounds, but these two songs hit on a very prevalent early 70's warm
> > glassy smooth but deep and rich organ sound I haven't been able to
> > replicate with the software I've tried.
> >
> > The really great sound is at the instrumental break in Love the one
> > you're with.
> >
> > Anyone know how this sound was originally made or how I might make it
> > with software synths?
>

> it's obviously a Hammond B3 played through a Leslie amp/rotating
> speaker combo.
>
> That is definitely one of my favorite setups to play in in a band
> situation, with an organ/Leslie combo behind me. You don't need a rhythm
> guitar with one of those comping behind you when you play a solo, and
> the instrumental wash sounds great. One band I was in had a Yamaha organ
> but played through a Peavey Musician head driving a Leslie cab, then in
> the country band I was in the keyboardist had a real Hammond/Leslie
> setup that was killer! People used to say that our band sounded like
> there were more than the number of people we had onstage.
>
> Other than getting ahold of a real Hammond/Leslie combo, you might
> want to try NI's B4 organ VST. Or, if you're skint, Rumpelrausch Taips
> makes a fantastic freeware VST organ called the ZR-3 that has some
> pretty convincing tonewheel and distortion/drawbar tones, you can find
> that here:
>
> http://rumpelrausch.de.vu/
>

> > Some of the earlier 70's rock songs had the absolute best organ and
> > synth sounds...just not heard in today's music. Gone forever
> > almost...unless I can find an app that emulates them!!
>

> there's some pretty great organ sounds from that era - I'd suggest
> listening to some of Garth Hudson's work in The Band (particularly
> "Chest Fever" and "The Shape I'm In"), or some of that great work Larry
> Young did with Hendrix (he's the organist on "Rainy Day, Dream Away" and
> "Still Raining, Still Dreaming" on _Electric Ladyland_). Other organ
> sounds I'm a sucker for is ELP, Jon Lord's work with Deep Purple, Booker
> T and the MGs, Gregg Allman's stuff on _Live At The Fillmore East_,
> Jerry Corbetta's long Hammond solo on Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady", Rod
> Argent's stuff, and Steve Nieve's Vox work with Elvis Costello.
>

> Of course, the ultimate organ overdose has to be Lee Michaels, try to
> see if you have a listen to this song called "Do You Know What I Mean?"
> Pure B3 cheese :)

Aphelion

Jan 18, 2003, 2:05:25 AM1/18/03
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 05:54:14 GMT, "Paul Bawol" <pa...@arcaneaudio.com>
wrote:

>I dunno, maybe I missed it, but I hate to see this thread die without at

>least a passing mention of The Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin".
>C'mon, admit it, a lot of us heard it as a single on the tube AM radio in
>Dad's car, that little vibrator humming to itself somewhere under the dash.
>
>I think it's fair to conjecture that some black drawbars were pulled out on
>that one.Stevie ain't playin' no Farfisa...
>
>...Paul

Nice one Paul...

Which brings to mind another oldie B3 band, The Young Rascals with
Felix Cavaliere playing the B3

Ap

Patrick Covert

Jan 18, 2003, 8:53:20 AM1/18/03
In article <3E2814E5...@comcast.net>, Will Hunt
<will...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Roger W. Norman" wrote:
>
>> That's apparently happening here, too. One of the longest threads in a
>> while, even with the recent Eminem thread.
>>
>> --
>
> So... anyone wanna help move my C3 and Leslie? It's just across a
>freezing room, down a flight of stairs with
>a right angle turn, across the ice, lift into a truck, across town, up an
>icy walk, up a couple stairs, around a corner and it's there!!
>
> Free hot chocolate!

3 hour ninimum on the loadout at $20/hr same on the load in. In other
words, no.

Patrick Covert

Jan 18, 2003, 8:57:44 AM1/18/03
In article <3e28fb9...@news-west.giganews.com>, Aphelion
<too...@fromthesun.com> wrote:

If we're just listing bands with cool B3 work, Uriah Heep back in the
70's.

James

Jan 18, 2003, 11:58:17 AM1/18/03
You need a 122kit for the A100. Dont really know the official Hammond
part number for it. I would call the local Hammond dealer and ask him
who does his tech work. The kit comes with pretty good instructions.
My bass player installed mine, but you might want a tech to do it
because it seems a lot of older Hammonds have been "modified" in one
way or another thru the years. Probably looking at about $100-125.
You'll need a swith, too. The one that comes with the kit sucks.
Start looking for a vintage half moon on Ebay. Good luck.

Check out www.goffprof.com and http://www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com/
Also http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/models.html

> [...]

> > > setting, although there are no high harmonics present in the actual
> > > tonebar registration, there is a faint high harmonic in the sound. It
> > > is particularly audible with the Leslie simulator on the fast tremolo
> > > speed. Has anyone else noticed this?
> > >
> > > The B4 just can't seem to get the mellow, laid back sound that I want
> > > sometimes. Of course, I know that nothing compares to the "real
> > > thing." Another thing that is lacking in the B4 is the percussion.
> > > The 3rd harmonic percussion just doesn't work as well as I'd like it
> > > to.
> > >
> > > Overall, the B4 is one of the best organ simulators I have heard, and
> > > definitely the best I own. I'd put it up against a Korg CX-3,
> > > although I think the Korg sounds better. I've never used the Kurzweil
> > > KB3 (built into the newer K2500's and K2600's) so I can't say how that
> > > is. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Rob Adelman

Jan 18, 2003, 12:25:21 PM1/18/03

Charles Thomas wrote:

> I fell in love with Hammonds because of Boston's first two albums. But
> then when you get to know that sound... you just love it anywhere. Greg
> Rollie on the live version of "Walks Like A Lady", by Journey? Gotta
> love it! And nothing makes an early Tom Petty song work like Benmont
> Tench's Hammond.

And on the studio record, Departure. Rollie's Hammond sound on 'Walks Like A
Lady' is huge, awesome. And on Petty's old stuff I always noticed how much
Hammond was always there instead of the usually synthesizer overload.
Nice...

Paulo Gomes

Jan 18, 2003, 2:03:28 PM1/18/03
I guess this is one of the best Hammond players ever, only this is my
version made up with cubase. The guitarrist is a huge friend of mind on
Denmark, everything else is VST'is except for the vox.

http://www.zrincx.dk/Burn-Master.mp3

Paulo Gomes

Jan 18, 2003, 2:06:50 PM1/18/03
Oh , I forgot, the guitarrist is called Torben.

It is loading more messages.