How to recover a corrupted .cpr file (cubase SX1) ("not a valid project")

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 5:36:07 AM8/28/09
Hi everyone,

I think I lost my whole work of yesterday. But before redoing all of it,
i have to ask:
why? and how?
From 2PM esterday, all none of my .cpr files will open.

I get this message:

The project "xxx" is not valid.

Same message with every file, and every .bak

Is there a way to recover these files?
Could I extrac tracks from it (I have cubase 5, also, if I have to use it).

ANy help is welcome.

Huey

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 5:53:11 AM8/28/09
Small hint: on a slower computer, I can see that the "not valid " .cpr
begins to load but becomes unreadable after 15%.

On an italian forum, I understood that Guitar rig could cause this. And
this could be my problem.

Is there a way to remove a part of the CPR so that the rest would load?

Or would I use a newer version of cubase to extract tracks from the cpr?

Huey

Jos Geluk

Aug 28, 2009, 6:01:35 AM8/28/09
Hueyduck schreef:

Sorry to hear that. There is not a lot you can do with an invalid
project, short of reverse engineering the entire file format.
Do the files have a reasonable length? Most "invalid projects" I've had
were 0 bytes.
What if you create a new project, save it, and reopen it? Is it invalid
right away?
Just to see if there is something wrong with the configuration, could
you send me one? See if I can open it. My email address is my name at
the domain below.

Jos.

--
ardispark.nl

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 6:16:32 AM8/28/09
Jos Geluk a �crit :

> Sorry to hear that. There is not a lot you can do with an invalid
> project, short of reverse engineering the entire file format.
> Do the files have a reasonable length? Most "invalid projects" I've had
> were 0 bytes.

-

They have the right size.
It really seems that one of the plug ins that i used is the culprit.
-

> What if you create a new project, save it, and reopen it? Is it invalid
> right away?

-
Not at all.
-

> Just to see if there is something wrong with the configuration, could
> you send me one? See if I can open it. My email address is my name at
> the domain below.

Thanks for caring.
I'll send you a file right now.
(I assumed I had to write you name like this: josgeluk).
We'll see if the mail comes thru

Huey

Jos Geluk

Aug 28, 2009, 6:19:09 AM8/28/09
Hueyduck schreef:

> (I assumed I had to write you name like this: josgeluk).

No, it's jos@ etc. Sorry to be so paranoid. Please resend.

Jos.

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 6:23:07 AM8/28/09
Jos Geluk a �crit :
Please resend.

> Jos.

done :)

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 6:42:24 AM8/28/09
What about this issue:

http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php?read,23,370280

wtf is that about?

[quote]
Greetings

You guys are suffering from the Infamous Corrupt Project Bug. Evil or
Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It's a memory problem and started in SX2 ( and presumably N2 )

Any project that get's over a certain size. roughly around 1.3 to 1.6Gb
( and in odd cases, less ) will save a corrupt project file of smaller
size than it should be. Unless you check the cpr file size each time you
save, you'll never notice until you close and reload the project. It's
very nasty and basically f�cks your project. Be sure to use CTRL-ALT-S
to save incrementally so you can get some of it back.

It doesn't matter what VSTi's are used, it's the amount of memory that
the project uses that causes the problem.

[/quote]

could there be alink to this problem?

I'm a bit lost, here.

Anyway, I'm going to start it all over. If any solution comes, it will
be welcome anyway

Huey

Jos Geluk

Aug 28, 2009, 7:13:19 AM8/28/09
Hueyduck schreef:

> What about this issue:
>

> http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php?read,23,370280
>

> wtf is that about?
>
> [quote]
> [/quote]
>
> could there be alink to this problem?
>
> I'm a bit lost, here.
>
> Anyway, I'm going to start it all over. If any solution comes, it will
> be welcome anyway

I have been thinking about this a bit, but I'm confused. Apparently the
issue arises when a project in memory gets to be bigger than 1.3Gb,
which is not an awful lot. AFAICT the project file however (.cpr) never
grows any bigger than a handful of Mb. I've had many projects with more
than 1.3Gb memory usage, and that can cause problems, but I don't
believe "Invalid project" is one of them. Any other opinions?

Jos.

--
ardispark.nl

Gerd-Ulrich Meyer

Aug 28, 2009, 8:39:16 AM8/28/09
Hallo,

Jos Geluk schrieb:

> Hueyduck schreef:
>> What about this issue:
>>

>> http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php?read,23,370280
>>

>> wtf is that about?
>>

> I have been thinking about this a bit, but I'm confused. Apparently the
> issue arises when a project in memory gets to be bigger than 1.3Gb,
> which is not an awful lot. AFAICT the project file however (.cpr) never
> grows any bigger than a handful of Mb. I've had many projects with more
> than 1.3Gb memory usage, and that can cause problems, but I don't
> believe "Invalid project" is one of them. Any other opinions?

It doesn't seem to be the great help but some people in different
web-forums (is this the right word? i don't know 'cause my native
language is german) say:
- that Steinberg know this problem and is working on it
- contact Steinberg and you can send them the corrupt *.cpr and the
number of your USB-Dongle and they are able to repair the file.

Hope that's a little gleam of light?!

> Jos.

Gerd-Ulrich Meyer

lancelightning

Aug 28, 2009, 8:54:13 AM8/28/09

I don't remember coming accross anything like this...if the project
contains loads of midi stuff then I've no idea what I'd do...but if it
is mainly audio, I'd drag all the files into a new project. I've done
this with ease when I've wanted to work on a Cubase 5 song using
Essentials4 which I have on a small laptop which I use when I go on
hols etc.. Its a bit of hassle but it could be easier than starting
over...Just a thought.....LL

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:36:07 +0200, Hueyduck <sea-...@kaspop.com>

lancelightning

Aug 28, 2009, 8:55:40 AM8/28/09

PS..not so workable if there's loads of edits.....LL

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 9:06:00 AM8/28/09
Gerd-Ulrich Meyer a �crit :

Thanks for you input. Would you have a reference I could read?

For this time, I won't be able to wait and see if Steinberg can fix my cpr.
I'm already half way of recreating my song.

This time, I carefully unload and reload the song every hour to see if
the many many many safety savings I made are not actually crap.

Huey

PS: your english is very ok :-) (at least for a french guy)

Gerd-Ulrich Meyer

Aug 28, 2009, 9:31:10 AM8/28/09
Hallo, (

Hueyduck schrieb:

> Gerd-Ulrich Meyer a �crit :
>> Hallo,
>>

>> It doesn't seem to be the great help but some people in different
>> web-forums (is this the right word? i don't know 'cause my native
>> language is german) say:
>> - that Steinberg know this problem and is working on it
>> - contact Steinberg and you can send them the corrupt *.cpr and the
>> number of your USB-Dongle and they are able to repair the file.
>

> Thanks for you input. Would you have a reference I could read?

Well, i've only found an older discussion here:
http://homerecording.de/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=89845
(attention: it's a discussion in german but i hope, you have somebody to
translate it or you know enough german words?).

> For this time, I won't be able to wait and see if Steinberg can fix my
> cpr.
> I'm already half way of recreating my song.

The discussions i read about this lead nearly always to the same - the
recreation of the song.

> This time, I carefully unload and reload the song every hour to see if
> the many many many safety savings I made are not actually crap.

Making Backups (i know, who makes backup when being concentrated) should
help.... and saving projects under new names.

> Huey
>
> PS: your english is very ok :-) (at least for a french guy)

Thank you. Let's see, what the native english say.... :-))

Greetings

Gerd-Ulrich Meyer

Jos Geluk

Aug 28, 2009, 9:58:47 AM8/28/09
Gerd-Ulrich Meyer schreef:

>>> It doesn't seem to be the great help but some people in different
>>> web-forums (is this the right word? i don't know 'cause my native
>>> language is german) say:
>>> - that Steinberg know this problem and is working on it
>>> - contact Steinberg and you can send them the corrupt *.cpr and the
>>> number of your USB-Dongle and they are able to repair the file.
>>

>> Thanks for you input. Would you have a reference I could read?
> Well, i've only found an older discussion here:
> http://homerecording.de/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=89845
> (attention: it's a discussion in german but i hope, you have somebody to
> translate it or you know enough german words?).

Basically, one guy says: send it to Steinberg support with the dongle
number, and the other guy does that, and he gets a reply within hours
asking him to mail the project file. So he's happy. Sounds convincing
enough to me. Consider giving it a try, if it is still an option.

Jos.

--
Ardis Park Music
www.ardispark.nl

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 10:11:04 AM8/28/09
lancelightning a �crit :

> I don't remember coming accross anything like this...if the project
> contains loads of midi stuff then I've no idea what I'd do...

Of course, it was mainly midi and plug in stettings :-/

For the audio parts, I'm just starting to load the audio files, but it
won't be a problem.

Hueyduck

Aug 28, 2009, 10:19:36 AM8/28/09
Jos Geluk a �crit :

> >> Thanks for you input. Would you have a reference I could read?
> > Well, i've only found an older discussion here:
> > http://homerecording.de/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=89845
> > (attention: it's a discussion in german but i hope, you have somebody to
> > translate it or you know enough german words?).
>
> Basically, one guy says: send it to Steinberg support with the dongle
> number, and the other guy does that, and he gets a reply within hours
> asking him to mail the project file. So he's happy. Sounds convincing
> enough to me. Consider giving it a try, if it is still an option.

2 things: this "memory" problem seems to happen from SX2. My problem is
with SX1. So I donot know if it applies.
The second thing is that 5 hours later after I discovered the damages,
I recreated my playback wuite nicely.

regarding Gerd-Ulrich's remark about regular safety savings:
I actually do this . And I recently activated auto-back-up function,
thinking that it could help in such a situation.

But what do you think happened? Well, after 15 different manual savings
with different names and 20 auto bup, I had only 35 useless .cpr on my
hard drive.

Only the first cpr of yesterday is abled to load, but all the tracks are
missing. I can only see the VST-i channels.

What happened is that what was in memory was ok, but cabase was saving
crap each time. I would have noticed if I had unloaded and reloaded the
song.

I cant' help but think that it could have something to do with the fact
that I have 4Go of physical memory with a 32bit O (WinXP).
Really, I can't wait to be able to try out a 64bit OS. Following the
advice I got here earlier, I'll be waiting for WIndows 7 to try it out.

Huey

Message has been deleted

ndic...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 2:03:33 PM2/18/15
This is a very serious problem. you can't event import the wave data from audio folder to the cubase new project. Please if someone knows how to overcome help us.

]v[etaphoid

Jan 11, 2016, 8:24:55 AM1/11/16
ndic...@gmail.com formulated on Thursday :
> This is a very serious problem. you can't event import the wave data from
> audio folder to the cubase new project. Please if someone knows how to
> overcome help us.

You've really got to stay positive.

That should help...

godda...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2020, 3:29:38 PM2/9/20
Hello there!!! If there's anyone here still at 2020???

I think I've found a program that will recover currupted files: http://www.puransoftware.com/File-Recovery.html

BUT (here's the catch)....
It needs the binary string name to be added to it's directory in order to find the files. And this is what I'm looking for.
Does anybody know or have a way to find it?

My HDD has gone to RAW format and I really don't want to lose all of 5 years worth of music, samples and projects!!!

Here's hope someone will see this glimmer of light, dwindling in a dark corner and turn it into Blackpool illuminations 🤞🏾