Condenser microphone problem...help...!!

Jenna

Jan 9, 2004, 6:24:10 PM1/9/04
hi,

i know this is not the forum for this, but i am desperate for help. I have
just bought an ADK condenser microphone. I also have a Roland Edirol U-8
mixer. I connected my XLR pin to the mixer and i got no sound. It seems as
though i'm getting no power. I then realised that the microphone requires
phantom power. It needs like 48V of DC which the mixer does not provide. Now
if i do get the power supply for the mic, how on earth can i connect it to
my mixer so that i can hear what i am singing. I want to connect the mic to
my mixer somehow so that i can then connect my headphones to it so that i
can hear as i sing...just like they do in the studios??

thanks everyone,
Jenna

Paulo Gomes

Jan 9, 2004, 6:38:45 PM1/9/04
look here
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=560&template=mics

"Jenna" <aow...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Laurence Payne

Jan 9, 2004, 7:07:47 PM1/9/04
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:38:45 -0000, "Paulo Gomes"
<paulo.a...@netcabo.pt> wrote:

>look here
>http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=560&template=mics

And, looking at the prices of add-on phantom power units, I guess
you'd be better off to trade in your mixer for one that DOES have
phantom power.

Or, if you're good with a soldering iron, make yourself a power unit.
It's a very simple project.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Aphelion

Jan 9, 2004, 7:22:07 PM1/9/04
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:24:10 -0000, "Jenna" <aow...@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

Usually there will be a pass thur low impedence connection that would
go to your mixer. The power unit only supplying power and passing the
audio thru.

Take a look at the Rolls power supply (for an idea) of a pass-thru
power supply. (on the page that Paulo posted.

Ap

The Squig

Jan 10, 2004, 4:48:34 PM1/10/04
> 48V of DC which the mixer does not provide.

WHAT!!!?

i am very reluctant to believe that... check in the mixer's manual, you may
very well find that there is a simple jumper switch that needs to be changed
inside the mixer...

squig ¤

The Squig

Jan 10, 2004, 4:54:36 PM1/10/04

hmmm, ok, i've just had a look 'round the net, and could find no mention of
it having anykind of phantom power...

i still can't quite believe it, though... even my old soundblaster 16 had a
jumper to enable phantom power! edirol should be ashamed of themselves...

squig ¤

Aphelion

Jan 10, 2004, 5:20:46 PM1/10/04

I think this is a USB powered audio interface/mixer/control surface.
Without an external power supply it's way to much to ask of USB and
the unit to safely up the voltage to +48 volts.

Best to use a dedicated power supply, the good dedicated supplys often
do a better job of filtering anyway.

Ap

The Squig

Jan 10, 2004, 5:52:39 PM1/10/04

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message

i didn't realise it didn't have an external supply...

squig ¤

Jenna

Jan 10, 2004, 7:51:56 PM1/10/04
thanks everyone for the help. I went and got myself a phantom power supply
and things are working!! But one problem...I'm for some reason not getting
stereo sound!! I'm only getting mono sound when i sing into the
microphone!! The mixer itself is fine because it plays stereo at all other
times. But for some reason right now, it only does mono!! Can anyone
help...??

thanks
jenna

"Aphelion" <too...@fromthesun.com> wrote in message

Laurence Payne

Jan 11, 2004, 4:22:14 PM1/11/04
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:51:56 -0000, "Jenna" <aow...@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>thanks everyone for the help. I went and got myself a phantom power supply
>and things are working!! But one problem...I'm for some reason not getting
>stereo sound!! I'm only getting mono sound when i sing into the
>microphone!! The mixer itself is fine because it plays stereo at all other
>times. But for some reason right now, it only does mono!! Can anyone
>help...??

How would you expect stereo from a single microphone? It's one
channel. You can pan it R, L or anywhere inbetween, but it's still
only one channel!

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Martin Harrington

Feb 27, 2004, 2:19:41 AM2/27/04
You've only got ONE mouth.

--
Martin Harrington
www.lendanear-sound.com

"Jenna" <aow...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Terry Cano

Feb 27, 2004, 11:48:45 AM2/27/04

Is it a stereo mic?
I went to the ADK site and didn't see any stereo mics.
What model do you have?

Terry

David Daniels

Feb 28, 2004, 10:26:07 PM2/28/04
I assume you mean that the sound is only coming out of one speaker?

If that's the problem, the solution is: 1) make sure the pan for the
channel in Cubase that you have inputted the mic to is centred, and 2) make
sure your monitoring is not set to Global Disable (i.e. use Cubase to
monitor the signal). If you must use Global Disable because of latency
issues, then use your soundcards mixer utility to centre pan the input of
whichever physical analog mono input you are using.

Of course, this isn't stereo. It's just centre panned mono. Is this what
you're trying to achieve?

"Martin Harrington" <len...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

marek...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2019, 10:13:06 AM11/18/19
HI I'm desperately looking for the cubase controller install software that comes with the Roland u-8 u8!
I have my u-8 functioning with XP on a laptop and am short of the u-8 tuner and u-8 controller applications to interface with cubase!

Please if you have the software please make a copy to transfer to drop box or google drive please!!
Thank you most kindly!
Marek in pretoria