Cubase 5 - loop one track while recording another

Adam G.

Oct 3, 2012, 7:33:41 PM10/3/12
Hopefully someone can help me with this. Cubase 5, trying to do
something that I think should be simple but I'm and idiot so I can't
figure it out.

Track 1 is a 4 measure rhythm beat. It can either be a MIDI drum
pattern that I pulled in from EZ Drummer, something I created myself
in MIDI, or an actual audio track such as an arpeggio bass line.

Track 2 is the track I'm trying to record.

Basically what I want to do is loop Track 1 so that the 4 measure drum
beat repeats, and then record onto Track 2. However, I don't want
Track 2 to loop and do multiple 4 measure takes. Instead I just want
it to record as long as I play. I'm basically setting up a jam
session that I can go back and cut out good parts to use in a song.

I know that I could just copy/paste/fill the 4 measure loop and have
it go out for 100 measures or 1000 or whatever, but I ran into a
problem with that the other night. 20 mins in (I was in a zone, give
me a break) the drum beat stopped and I lost the groove and the idea.
I'd much rather have the loop go on for as long as I want it and let
me control the length of the recorded track.

Make sense? Hopefully? Any ideas? Thanks,

Adam

Max Doorrijhoogte

Oct 4, 2012, 9:09:58 AM10/4/12
I don't think that what you want is possible.....
Sorry :P

Elmo' 7#9

Oct 4, 2012, 3:11:40 PM10/4/12
You could record Track 2 in Cycle Record Mode.

This will pile up a number of "Takes" in the Arrange window
(one for each cycle)
but the recording will be one continuous .WAV file
in the Project's "Audio" folder.

Then, you can import the resulting .WAV file into the Arrangement
and delete the Cycle-recorded "Takes".

Elmo' 7#9

Op donderdag 4 oktober 2012 21:11:40 UTC+2 schreef Elmo' 7#9 het volgende:
> You could record Track 2 in Cycle Record Mode.
>
> This will pile up a number of "Takes" in the Arrange window
> one for each cycle)
> but the recording will be one continuous .WAV file
> in the Project's "Audio" folder.
>
> Then, you can import the resulting .WAV file into the Arrangement
> and delete the Cycle-recorded "Takes".

I was going to suggest a inserting a delay plugin on the drum loop track with a 1/1 delay time, 100% feedback and 100% mix (setting the project tempo so that the drum loop is exactly 1 measure). But Elmo's suggestion will work just as well. Recording a stack of takes looks messy but you just delete them, then reimport the audio WAV file.

However, this will work for audio only. If the original poster intends to record MIDI, my method will work.

Jos

pepin....@gmail.com

May 3, 2019, 9:58:42 AM5/3/19
Hi Adam, I am looking for the same thing here. I found a way that works, just grab one of these takes, first take would be nice but if you're like me you have so many takes its easier to take the last one and then just pull its side to make it longer, it will expand into the "other takes" then once you unfold it all just make it start where the first take was starting and bam.

Side note that on my iPad I paid 30$ for a small program called BeatMaker and wow this program is so much ahead of Cubase 5 in so many ways (although maybe its normal, Cubase 5, that's getting old...) but anyways Beat Maker on iPad does what you want automatically, just write a x measures beat on 1 track, make it loop, then record your jam on another track and it will be recorded in full length. After that what I do is go ahead and paste a metronome over the whole first jam track and record a real drum instead of the crappy drum machine.