Strange New Worlds S02E03

a cat

Jun 29, 2023, 10:05:57 AM6/29/23
New Trek day! Discuss! (I'll be adding my comments after I watch).

superkuh

Jul 1, 2023, 5:27:09 PM7/1/23
On 06/29/2023 09:05 AM, a cat wrote:
> New Trek day! Discuss! (I'll be adding my comments after I watch).

S02E03 shares a lot of similarities with other trek time travel
episodes. It has it's own Guinan (who's terrible) to touch base with and
it's own Sarah Silverman (who's great). The dialog hits a lot of the key
ideas about striving for a better future and trying to make a utopia
rather than being cynical.

Good stuff. Solid trek even if it's just a re-skin. This is the kind of
show I wanted.

a cat

Jul 5, 2023, 11:09:22 AM7/5/23
Yeah I loved the callback too, and it's exactly the kind of Trek I've
been craving.

I don't need them to check off all the tropes and episode subtypes. I
just needed them to slow things down a little and be a little more
contemplative. So far, so good!

a cat

Jul 5, 2023, 11:16:01 AM7/5/23
On 6/29/23 8:05 AM, a cat wrote:
> New Trek day! Discuss! (I'll be adding my comments after I watch).

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I thought it was a great episode, and like others have said, it was a
good callback to Voyager's "Future's End".

I'm a bad Trekkie, but I've never seen Wrath of Khan (I'm not a fan of
ToS), but I can still appreciate the gravity of La'an, a woman haunted
by her ancestry, meeting him, seeing the child behind the monster, and
knowing it's the right thing to do to let him live. I wonder if we'll
see a spin-off.

But my favorite part was when La'an tearfully calls her Kirk just to
hear his voice and see his face. It was heartbreaking.

La'an is probably my favorite character in this series.