Strange New Worlds S02E08

superkuh

Jul 27, 2023, 2:13:42 PM7/27/23
Strange New Worlds S02E08 has these amazing technologies and features
them in the plot in "new" ways but the way those technologies are used
are so pathetically limited it's like they never considered the
implications at all. Like giving a caveman a rifle and watching them use
it as a club. Part of that is just trek painting itself into a corner
with absurdly powerful things like teleporters... but part is bad scifi.
And then the episode betrays the star trek ethos with some grimdark
nu-trek shit at the end.

They writers should ignore the Klingon war. SNW doesn't have the skill
to do this kind of episode like, say, DS9 eventually managed. Not yet at
least.

a cat

Jul 28, 2023, 11:10:23 AM7/28/23
Wow I couldn't disagree more!

Unlike nu-trek, this episode was impactful to me because I hadn't just
watched ten other episodes before it, also meant to be high-stakes. It
also developed some of the main characters instead of just being
meaningless action.

And just like everything being world-ending meaning nothing is, if
everything were "root beer", to quote a Ferengi, then the show wouldn't
hold any weight. I like that SNW has its peaks and lulls.

And I thought they did a great job with the flashbacks, and story!

Wouter Valentijn

Jul 28, 2023, 2:12:38 PM7/28/23
Op 28-7-2023 om 17:10 schreef a cat:
It reminded me of 'The Siege of AR-558'.

--
Wouter Valentijn

Xander: "I'm a Comfortador also."
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (s04e22): Restless

http://www.nksf.nl/

liam=mail

Adou

Sep 19, 2023, 8:38:45 AM9/19/23
I just watched it, and I liked it quite much, but I didn't like the end.
There is no opposition between payment for one's evil deeds and
redemption. The two are linked, redemption only comes if you agree to
pay. You can become a ambassador after being a war criminal, but not
just because you say "sorry, my bad, won't do it again" (which he never
said in this episode).