Who here likes Lower Decks?

a cat

Jun 17, 2023, 1:13:30 PM6/17/23
Before SNW came out, it was my favorite new Trek series. I find it
absolutely hilarious, and somehow more "Trek" than what had been coming out.

And the lower deck episodes in TNG and Voyager were among my favorite.

Ant

Jun 17, 2023, 10:17:46 PM6/17/23
I only saw its first episode and wasn't impressed with it. I only laughed a couple times. Did it get better?
--
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." --Proverbs 9:10. Quiet (long) weekend? Still hurty, itchy, & leaky tho. :( It looks like winter is finally over!
| |o o| |

a cat

Jun 18, 2023, 12:13:21 AM6/18/23
On 6/17/23 8:17 PM, Ant wrote:
> a cat <a_...@example.com> wrote:
>> Before SNW came out, it was my favorite new Trek series. I find it
>> absolutely hilarious, and somehow more "Trek" than what had been coming out.
>
>> And the lower deck episodes in TNG and Voyager were among my favorite.
>
> I only saw its first episode and wasn't impressed with it. I only laughed a couple times. Did it get better?

I had the same reaction, and yes, I felt it got much better (both
funnier and a more Trek like feel). It's one of the new Trek shows that
I consider a proper Trek.

I can't say when exactly it got better, but I think a lot of shows kind
of stumble at first and then find their footing.

superkuh

Jun 18, 2023, 11:44:57 AM6/18/23
The Lower Decks is far closer to the feel/spirit of TNG/VOY/DS9 Trek
than anything else produced since ~2010. It may have some slapstick and
humor in it but the writers and the plots obviously show they understand
the spirit of the Federation: striving to do the right thing even if the
world is nasty. There's no cynicism or widespread politicking or
corruption, or if there is, it's an abnormality. Unlike, say, modern
SNW/Discovery that has established the illegal section 31 as a real
legit part of star fleet that gives command. Nasty. It may be more
"realistic" but I don't watch Trek for realism. I watch it for
optimistic views of humanity striving towards a better future.

Yeah, I like the lower decks. Overall:

TNG > DS9 > VOY > TOS > The Lower Decks > ENT > Strange New Worlds > TAS
> Discovery

a cat

Jun 18, 2023, 12:05:25 PM6/18/23
On 6/18/23 9:44 AM, superkuh wrote:
> The Lower Decks is far closer to the feel/spirit of TNG/VOY/DS9 Trek
> than anything else produced since ~2010. It may have some slapstick and
> humor in it but the writers and the plots obviously show they understand
> the spirit of the Federation: striving to do the right thing even if the
> world is nasty. There's no cynicism or widespread politicking or
> corruption, or if there is, it's an abnormality.

This exactly! I know the real world isn't like this, but that's one of
the reasons I enjoyed Trek! It's a beacon of how things could be. It's
escapism, optimism, and competent business in space.

How did we go from the idea ships had warm tones and wood because that
was considered a luxury in space to sterile glass, metal, and jaded,
hardened crew?

I'll probably be run out of here for this, but what I'd pitch is a drama
set in the Trek universe about a ship like NCC-1701-D, except the bridge
crew and exploration are a backdrop to what's going on with families on
the ship. And every once in awhile they'd see the captain run by while
under a red alert, and the story would focus on how the kids deal with
it, and what happens when Joe's business is vented into space.

> Unlike, say, modern
> SNW/Discovery that has established the illegal section 31 as a real
> legit part of star fleet that gives command. Nasty. It may be more
> "realistic" but I don't watch Trek for realism. I watch it for
> optimistic views of humanity striving towards a better future.
>
> Yeah, I like the lower decks. Overall:
>
> TNG > DS9 > VOY > TOS > The Lower Decks > ENT > Strange New Worlds > TAS
> > Discovery

I think mine would be DS9 > TNG > VOY > TLD > SNW > Dis > ENT > TOS

TOS is too campy for me, and I've never seen TAS.

Wouter Valentijn

Jun 18, 2023, 12:55:41 PM6/18/23
Op 18-6-2023 om 18:05 schreef a cat:
I would see it as:

TOS > DS9 > TNG > ENT > PIC > TAS > VOY > SNW > DSC

Lower Decks and Prodigy I still have to see. Dit try Lower Decks for a
couple of episodes, but maybe I'll give it another chance.

--
Wouter Valentijn

Xander: "I'm a Comfortador also."
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (s04e22): Restless

http://www.nksf.nl/

liam=mail

cr0c0d1le

Jun 18, 2023, 1:14:50 PM6/18/23
a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:

> a cat <a_...@example.com> wrote:
>> Before SNW came out, it was my favorite new Trek series. I find it
>> absolutely hilarious, and somehow more "Trek" than what had been coming out.
>
>> And the lower deck episodes in TNG and Voyager were among my favorite.
>
> I only saw its first episode and wasn't impressed with it. I only laughed a couple times. Did it get better?
Totally unrelated but, what's with the ant signature? I'm new to USENET,
but I've come across a couple times already. Is it some kind of
anti-spam system?

a cat

Jun 18, 2023, 1:56:07 PM6/18/23
Oh Prodigy! I can't believe I forgot about it. At first I was thinking
it wasn't very Trek at all, but it turned out to be very, very, good.

If you can make it past the things meant for children, there's an
actual, good, adult, story to it that also feels very "Trek".

superkuh

Jun 18, 2023, 8:28:22 PM6/18/23

> Oh Prodigy! I can't believe I forgot about it. At first I was thinking
> it wasn't very Trek at all, but it turned out to be very, very, good.

Oh geez. I forgot Prodigy too. I agree. The way it started felt very
un-trek-like but it got there eventually. A decent show. I also forgot
Picard. But maybe that's for the best.

Ant

Jun 19, 2023, 4:12:16 AM6/19/23
So, like after S1?
--
"Jesus answered, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.' --John 3:5. Fell behind due 2 2 flicks (Shazam 2 & The Right Stuff) under <24 hrs. b4 Juneteenth. Still slammed. :(

Ant

Jun 19, 2023, 4:13:13 AM6/19/23
It reminded me of Rebels, Clone Wars, etc. They started out cheesy for younglings. Same thing with Prodigy. :)

a cat

Jun 19, 2023, 11:16:56 AM6/19/23
On 6/19/23 2:12 AM, Ant wrote:

> So, like after S1?

Probably not? I remember enjoying S1 by the end.

a cat

Jun 19, 2023, 11:20:05 AM6/19/23
I literally started crying when I heard Stewart was coming back to do a
Trek show. I was so happy.

But that show was all over the place. I feel like each season was its
own thing. And they leaned way too hard into all the things I've been
complaining about in other threads.

It's really sad because S1 looked so promising. We got to see people
living inside a Borg cube, studying them. Stuff like that.

I still watched all of it, and I enjoyed the nostalgia of the last
season, but eesh...

Wouter Valentijn

Jun 19, 2023, 2:36:23 PM6/19/23
Op 19-6-2023 om 02:28 schreef superkuh:
Season 3 of Picard is the best Trek of the last 14 years.

a cat

Jun 19, 2023, 5:48:59 PM6/19/23
On 6/19/23 12:36 PM, Wouter Valentijn wrote:
> Op 19-6-2023 om 02:28 schreef superkuh:
>>
>>> Oh Prodigy! I can't believe I forgot about it. At first I was thinking
>>> it wasn't very Trek at all, but it turned out to be very, very, good.
>>
>> Oh geez. I forgot Prodigy too. I agree. The way it started felt very
>> un-trek-like but it got there eventually. A decent show. I also forgot
>> Picard. But maybe that's for the best.
>>

> Season 3 of Picard is the best Trek of the last 14 years.

What did you like so much about it?

Ant

Jun 19, 2023, 10:06:10 PM6/19/23
Yeah. S2's first two episodes were fun though and then it went downhill again. At least, S3 went out good. Whew!
--
"Jesus answered, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.' --John 3:5. Fell behind due 2 colony & 2 flicks (Shazam 2 & The Right Stuff) under <24 hrs. b4 Juneteenth.

Wouter Valentijn

Jun 20, 2023, 2:24:35 PM6/20/23
Op 19-6-2023 om 23:48 schreef a cat:
The great respect it payed to previous Treks.

Ant

Jun 20, 2023, 10:40:01 PM6/20/23
Wouter Valentijn <li...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Op 19-6-2023 om 23:48 schreef a cat:

> >> Season 3 of Picard is the best Trek of the last 14 years.
> >
> > What did you like so much about it?

> The great respect it payed to previous Treks.

Ditto. Nostalgias.