Strange New Worlds S02E01

superkuh

Jun 15, 2023, 2:49:46 PM6/15/23
S02E01 felt more like a return to Discovery style Kurtzman-trek than a
continuation of the good parts of S01 SNW.

Ant

Jun 15, 2023, 6:47:06 PM6/15/23
superkuh <supe...@superkuh.com> wrote:
> S02E01 felt more like a return to Discovery style Kurtzman-trek than a
> continuation of the good parts of S01 SNW.

And nothing like Picard S3. :(
--
"When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things." --Mark 6:34. Slammy coldy Th. American Born Chinese was OK so far after its 1st 2 eps. so far.
| |o o| |

cr0c0d1le

Jun 16, 2023, 10:59:55 PM6/16/23
superkuh <supe...@superkuh.com> writes:

> S02E01 felt more like a return to Discovery style Kurtzman-trek than a
> continuation of the good parts of S01 SNW.
Crap, I was going to watch the first episode today. I guess they haven't
learnt their lesson yet...

a cat

Jun 17, 2023, 1:11:31 PM6/17/23
On 6/15/23 12:49 PM, superkuh wrote:
> S02E01 felt more like a return to Discovery style Kurtzman-trek than a
> continuation of the good parts of S01 SNW.

The things I don't like about the new style of Trek (and TV in general) are:

- Every episode/season, the entire universe must be absolutely at stake
- Lots of camera movement and quick cut-aways
- Lots of lens flare
- Focused on action and conflict
- Not very focused on the characters (what were the names of the bridge
crew in Discovery?)

And that's why I like SNW so much. They're not doing any of that (at
least not all the time).

I think it was probably just the first episode and we'll see more of the
calm, character-driven story that we got in S01.

At any rate, this has been my favorite Trek since Voyager.

cr0c0d1le

Jun 17, 2023, 1:46:02 PM6/17/23
I'm on season 5 of voyager right now. It is an underrated show.

a cat

Jun 17, 2023, 3:23:54 PM6/17/23
It has its issues, but it's a fine show imo. My favorite of all time is DS9.

cr0c0d1le

Jun 18, 2023, 1:13:33 PM6/18/23
I agress with you on DS9. It's hands down my favourite Star Trek. I like
Sisko, because of his flaws. He messes up and he doesn't always have an
answer to the current problem at hand. This makes me more relatable than
the other Star Trek captains (except maybe Archer).

pH

Jun 18, 2023, 4:29:29 PM6/18/23
I'm not a fan of the rapid cutaways/scene changes either. Apparently throws
your brain into a hypnotic receptive state.

Try watching "Bambi" and then any modern show. What a difference in style.

At any rate, Strange New Worlds is a nice series. Wish they had the
miniskirts of TOS and while "diverse", at least it's not shoved in your face
every scene.

pH in Aptos

a cat

Jun 19, 2023, 11:16:23 AM6/19/23
On 6/18/23 11:13 AM, cr0c0d1le wrote:

>> It has its issues, but it's a fine show imo. My favorite of all time is DS9.
> I agress with you on DS9. It's hands down my favourite Star Trek. I like
> Sisko, because of his flaws. He messes up and he doesn't always have an
> answer to the current problem at hand. This makes me more relatable than
> the other Star Trek captains (except maybe Archer).

Yeah Sisko is easily my favorite captain. I'm sad we never got any
movies about DS9.

Ant

Jun 19, 2023, 10:04:44 PM6/19/23
Yeah, same for Voyager, Enterprise, etc. Or even a TV movie!
--
"Jesus answered, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.' --John 3:5. Fell behind due 2 colony & 2 flicks (Shazam 2 & The Right Stuff) under <24 hrs. b4 Juneteenth.