Strange New Worlds S02E02

a cat

Jun 22, 2023, 9:19:50 AM6/22/23
Today's the day! Hopefully I'll be able to get some time to watch it
tonight.

Discuss!

Ant

Jun 23, 2023, 2:48:50 AM6/23/23
Slow episode, but decent. :)
--
"Ill-gotten treasures are of no value, but righteousness delivers from death." --Proverbs 10:2. RIP 2 Titanic's & Titan submersible's peep.
| |o o| |

cr0c0d1le

Jun 23, 2023, 9:07:04 PM6/23/23
I just torrented the first two episodes. I will watch them over the
weekend and let you know!

a cat

Jun 24, 2023, 8:30:46 AM6/24/23
I finally got to watch it, and I thought it was very powerful.

One of the things I've always liked about Trek is that it's not just
"cowboys in space", despite what a lot of NuTrek has been doing, and the
philosophical, morality based, trial episodes, have always stood out to me.

I thought this one was really well done and addressed a lot of current
societal issues.

I like action, but when everything is a crisis, nothing is. I'm glad to
see episodes like this as well to make the "crisis" episodes meaningful.

superkuh

Jun 27, 2023, 2:45:12 PM6/27/23
I really liked this episode. It hit all of my bullet points about what
star trek should be. Bad people were doing bad things in the federation
but it wasn't all cyncism and darkness. And it wasn't just accepted as
something to tolerate (see: section 31). Pure Trek. Maybe it was hammy
and contrived but like star fleet in this episode at least they're
trying to be better.

It'd be been better if she was still judged guilty and they had to take
it to a higher court of appeals while #1 stayed in jail. But I wouldn't
want to sacrifice a positive portrayal of people trying to be good just
for realism.

There were problems, like the Vulcan lawyer physically touching his
co-counsel to stop her. She wasn't going to fulfill the duty to
prosecute without bias but the touching was way out of character. The
Lower Decks writers wouldn't get something like that wrong.

SNW S02E01 was terrible. S02E02 was much better.