Strange New Worlds S02E05

superkuh

Jul 14, 2023, 4:07:40 PM7/14/23
Spock put it right: "What the fuck?"

They already did this episode outline with Spock having marital body
horror hijinks in S01. The other characters' responses contradict
earlier episodes where their fixes using genetic modification are
illegal. The way Spock's errors are played for humor isn't very funny.
The characterization of the most representative trait of humans as
"lying" seems cynical and out of place in Trek. And then it becomes a
Seinfeld episode with vulcans. Overall a very marginal episode.

a cat

Jul 17, 2023, 11:25:14 AM7/17/23
I enjoyed it a lot! There were several scenes I was loling.

I can see your point about lying. I feel like a lot of shows use that as
"the human trait" for some reason. Humans lie, but the only people who
lie compulsively are people with issues.

I'm curious why you didn't find Spock's trouble grappling with human
emotions funny (it's a completely valid stance to take). I thought he
came off like a teenager which just struck my funny bone.

thedaemon

Jul 23, 2023, 12:37:13 AM7/23/23
I would have to agree, this episode didn't do much for me. One of the
weaker episodes of SNW so far. If you look at it like Spock had a mental
breakdown and went off his meds, it seems to make more sense. I'm not
sure if that's what they were getting at though?