does startrek have less creative aliens?

subterrane...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2020, 10:17:53 AM7/5/20
some times i wonder if starwars has more creative aliens than startrek. in starwars, they come in all shapes and sizes. startrek, however, tendds to have humans with barely noticeable face markings and strange rigged growths.

Daniel65

Jul 6, 2020, 5:15:33 AM7/6/20
Could it have been a budget thing??

Star Wars was just a (few) big screen films so given big budgets whereas
Star Trek was (originally) just a T.V. series, so not so big budgets!
--
Daniel

Deck of 51

Jul 7, 2020, 5:50:42 AM7/7/20
On 2020-07-05 11:47 a.m., subterrane...@gmail.com wrote:
> some times i wonder if starwars has more creative aliens than startrek. in starwars, they come in all shapes and sizes. startrek, however, tendds to have humans with barely noticeable face markings and strange rigged growths.

They explain this in the episode Paradise Syndrome. Spock says there was
a race called the preservers that moved humanoid species/cultures in
danger of extinction throughout the galaxy to preserve them.

That being said I don't think you're wrong that there are more bizarre
and creative aliens in Star Wars. I think a lot of that is rooted in the
fact that Star Trek was a 1960s TV show with budget limitations, whereas
after the first movie everything Star Trek was essentially high budget
blockbuster stuff. That's not to say there are no bizarre aliens in TOS,
the rock creature in Devil in the Dark, for example, or the Gorn from
Arena, but the show did not have the resources to have a new alien every
week.

It's also worth noting that canonically Star Wars takes place in an
entire different galaxy, while Star Trek takes place in our own. :P

Deck of 51

Jul 7, 2020, 6:01:11 AM7/7/20
This should have read "after the first movie everything Star Trek was
essentially high budget blockbuster stuff". I apologize.

Wouter Valentijn

Nov 29, 2021, 1:48:12 AM11/29/21
Op 6-7-2020 om 11:15 schreef Daniel65:
Indeed.

Otoh, Star Trek also has the Vorta and the Medusans.

--
Wouter Valentijn

Kirk: "No beach to walk on..."
Star Trek (s01e07): The Naked Time

http://www.nksf.nl/

liam=mail

Daniel65

Nov 29, 2021, 3:57:12 AM11/29/21
Wouter Valentijn wrote on 29/11/21 5:48 pm:
> Op 6-7-2020 om 11:15 schreef Daniel65:
>> subterrane...@gmail.com wrote on 6/07/2020 12:17 AM:
>>> some times i wonder if starwars has more creative aliens than
>>> startrek. in starwars, they come in all shapes and sizes. startrek,
>>> however, tendds to have humans with barely noticeable face markings
>>> and strange rigged growths.
>>>
>> Could it have been a budget thing??
>>
>> Star Wars was just a (few) big screen films so given big budgets
>> whereas Star Trek was (originally) just a T.V. series, so not so big
>> budgets!
>

> Indeed.
>
> Otoh, Star Trek also has the Vorta and the Medusans.

The Vorta .... yeah, the big blow was a 'different' aliens, wasn't it??

The Medusans?? I forget!! Must mean its time to get the DVD's out!!
--
Daniel

Wouter Valentijn

Nov 29, 2021, 10:31:02 AM11/29/21
Op 29-11-2021 om 09:57 schreef Daniel65:
Oops. Sorry, meant 'horta'. :-)

"The Devil in the Dark".

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark_(episode)

> The Medusans?? I forget!! Must mean its time to get the DVD's out!!

"Is There in Truth No Beauty".

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Is_There_in_Truth_No_Beauty%3F_(episode)?so=search

Plus 'Excalbians' ("The Savage Curtain")

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Savage_Curtain_(episode)

This last one makes me wonder if the then Marvel editor in chief Jim
Shooter was thinking about this when he wrote the very first 'Secret
Wars'....

Daniel65

Nov 30, 2021, 6:12:41 AM11/30/21
Wouter Valentijn wrote on 30/11/21 2:31 am:
> Op 29-11-2021 om 09:57 schreef Daniel65:
>> Wouter Valentijn wrote on 29/11/21 5:48 pm:

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> Otoh, Star Trek also has the Vorta and the Medusans.
>>>
>> The Vorta .... yeah, the big blow was a 'different' aliens, wasn't it??
>
> Oops. Sorry, meant 'horta'. :-)

Ah!! So your having made a mistake must explain why I made a mistake, too!!

s/"the big blow"/"the big blob"!!

> "The Devil in the Dark".
>
> https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark_(episode)
>

>> The Medusans?? I forget!! Must mean its time to get the DVD's out!!
>
> "Is There in Truth No Beauty".
>
> https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Is_There_in_Truth_No_Beauty%3F_(episode)?so=search

Ah!! When Spock went blind!!

--
Daniel

Wouter Valentijn

Nov 30, 2021, 1:46:12 PM11/30/21
Op 30-11-2021 om 12:12 schreef Daniel65:
> Wouter Valentijn wrote on 30/11/21 2:31 am:

>>> The Vorta .... yeah, the big blow was a 'different' aliens, wasn't it??
>>
>> Oops. Sorry, meant 'horta'. :-)
>
> Ah!! So your having made a mistake must explain why I made a mistake, too!!
>
> s/"the big blow"/"the big blob"!!

Okay... blob....
The term makes me think of Armus, who murdered Tasha Yar.

The Vorta served the Founders.

>> "The Devil in the Dark".
>>
>> https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark_(episode)
>>

>>> The Medusans?? I forget!! Must mean its time to get the DVD's out!!
>>
>> "Is There in Truth No Beauty".
>>
>> https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Is_There_in_Truth_No_Beauty%3F_(episode)?so=search
>

> Ah!! When Spock went blind!!

Spock went blind in 'Operation: Annihilate' when McCoy dosed him with
light to kill the parasite. And he wasn't actually blind. He merely had
forgotten about his inner eyelid.

In ITITNB he went mad Because he looked directly at Kollos without that
visor. Same thing happened to Larry Marvick.

<snip>

Daniel65

Dec 2, 2021, 6:50:01 AM12/2/21
Wouter Valentijn wrote on 1/12/21 5:46 am:
"mad"?? Sorry!! I seem to recall In ITITNB he went blind, not mad,
because he looked directly at Kollos without that visor, but was still
able to get the Enterprise back into (the Galaxy, was it??) but had a
screen installed near his work-station to protect the rest of the Bridge
staff when he opened the box to let Kollos out ..... or something like that!
--
Daniel

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 2, 2021, 1:47:48 PM12/2/21
Op 2-12-2021 om 12:49 schreef Daniel65:
Actually no.

The only one who was blind was Miranda Jones. Which is why she was safe
with Kollos.

When Larry looked at Kollos unprotected, because he was jealous of his
(Kollos) relationship with Miranda with whom he was in love himself, he
went mad and somehow put the Enterprise's engines in overdrive which
kinda got the ship in another realm, outside the Galaxy.
It was up to Spock to mind meld with Kollos to navigate the ship back.
That plan succeeded and the Enterprise was able to return to normal space.
After that Spock went back behind the screen on the bridge to end the
mind meld, to let Kollos's mind back in the box. But maybe because of
the meld Spock/Kollos forgot the visor and after looking straight into
the box and Kollos, Spock went mad and fought the Bridge crew.
Only Miranda Jones using her telepathic power was able to cure Spock.
Something she was hesitant to do because in turn she was jealous of
Spock being able to meld with Kollos with whom she was in love.

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/62.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFGs1bNcyM

You see Spock looking straight at Kirk and the rest of the bridge crew
from his point of view. Well, obviously the camera's, but you know what
I mean. :-)

Daniel65

Dec 3, 2021, 5:01:56 AM12/3/21
Wouter Valentijn wrote on 3/12/21 5:47 am:
O.K., I'll let you off with that explanation, Wouter!! ;-)
--
Daniel

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 3, 2021, 8:30:23 AM12/3/21