Anyone got the latest SW Insider?

Durandal

Mar 21, 2002, 3:44:16 PM3/21/02
It includes a really nifty article that reveals the origins of the
Extended Universe. And a letter from some dickhead fan who thinks that
EU isn't "official canon."
--
Damien Sorresso
[AOL: durandal64] | [ICQ: 12183859]

"The speed of light has nothing to do with gravitational attraction."
-Karate Squid

His Divine Shadow

Mar 21, 2002, 4:31:09 PM3/21/02
> It includes a really nifty article that reveals the origins of the
> Extended Universe. And a letter from some dickhead fan who thinks that
> EU isn't "official canon."

Then send another letter to the magazine showing how wrong he is.

Kynes

Mar 21, 2002, 8:44:19 PM3/21/02
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:44:16 -0600, Durandal <duran...@mac.com> wrote:

>It includes a really nifty article that reveals the origins of the
>Extended Universe. And a letter from some dickhead fan who thinks that
>EU isn't "official canon."

Is there a response from the editors? Why don't you repost the article here?
--
-LK!
[ ky...@choam.org ] [ ICQ: 795238 ] [ AIM: Kynes23 ]

"I don't think I could ever be a game designer. Eventually, in a fit of frustration,
I would probably release a game called 'You People Don't Know What the Hell You Want
So Play This and Like It: The Precursor Legacy'."
-- Drew Cosner

Durandal

Mar 21, 2002, 10:48:47 PM3/21/02
Kynes wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:44:16 -0600, Durandal <duran...@mac.com> wrote:
>

>>It includes a really nifty article that reveals the origins of the
>>Extended Universe. And a letter from some dickhead fan who thinks that
>>EU isn't "official canon."
>

> Is there a response from the editors? Why don't you repost the article here?

The article is really long, andI don't think I'll be transcribing the
entire thing.
Here are some interesting passages, though.

"The idea [licensing deal with Bantam] was passed to George Lucas, who
agreed that Licensing could expand upon his films with original fiction
set after /Return of the Jedi/."

"In the early days of the publishing department, Wilson worked closely
with her administrative assistant, Sue Rostoni (now managing editor of
the department as well as editor of all adult fiction) on the editorial
projects. The two of them decided that to maintain quality, it would be
crucial to monitor the storylines of all projects and ensure that none
of their books contradicted one another. This continuity decision became
one of the department's biggest challenges--and greatest successes."

So, we can safely say that Lucas acknowledges the validity of the EU,
but he can override it at will.
As to the dimwit fan, the editors didn't clarify the canon status of the
EU, they just said that they'd continue to cover it (the guy wanted the
Insider to stop covering the EU because he's under the mistaken
impression that it's not "official canon"). Oh, and it was in an earlier
issue I was reading (#54, I think; the current issue is #59).