Google Grupper støtter ikke lenger nye Usenet-innlegg eller -abonnementer. Historisk innhold er fortsatt synlig.

Praise for New Minglewood Blues

Sett 1 gang
Hopp til første uleste melding

geoffrey

ulest,
22. sep. 1997, 03:00:0022.09.1997
til

Well, I just feel like New Minglewood Blues is a big work that deserves
more comment.

The brightest little moment I remember -- the one that pops into my head
nowadays for no reason -- is Kirk saying, "Hey. You, with the ears..." In
such a dark story, bits like this really stand out.

There's something about this whole perspective on Kirk and Spock, so tired
and so damaged, that moves me. When I watch Spock die in "The Wrath of
Khan" it moves me, but he returns from the dead and life goes on and not
much changes. In Greywolf's A/U, on the other hand, the boys come back
from years and years of hell, and life goes on but nothing will ever be the
same again. For me, it's a more meaningful kind of survival.

I was also struck by the depth of honesty between this Kirk and this Spock.
They have nothing left to lose -- they already lost each other and got
each other back -- so they say what they think and what they feel and don't
agonize over the possibility of being misunderstood. How often do we get
to read a story like that, showing that level of communication along with a
plausible explanation of how they reached that level?

Another comment: I liked Sek'hel, and the details that fleshed him out. I
liked seeing Kirk and Spock through the eyes of a young male Vulcan,
someone who would watch them as keenly as I would if I were there.

Anyway, I'm tired and I have to go to bed. I liked the story a lot. I
respectfully ask for a third installment in the saga. (Although, Greywolf,
I have to say, if you're compelled to spend your time producing more treats
like "Better Than Coffee", I won't be complaining. That was hot shit.)

-- Geoffrey

0 nye meldinger