ASC Awards: Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author

Stephen Ratliff

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

The following list is of those people who had the courage to post thier
first work this year. At this time I'd like to congraduate all of ASC's
Class of 1997 for all thier hard work.

This Award has been named this year for the following residents of
Alt.StarTrek.Creative who have encouraged many of our new authors:

Greywolf, the Wanderer. A tireless source of comments, the Wolf has
made many of our authors feel right at home with his words

Little Otter, aka Joe the Macedon. The stewart defender of the group,
Macedon has been a source of much needed comments and critism. His work
in keeping this group harmonous are worth of reconition.

Please follow up to this post with comments under each of the authors
you have read and enjoyed. More Information on the ASC Award is
available in the Note for this Awards Period. This Award will be open
from 3/22/98 to 4/01/98

This Award is :
The Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author.

1) Rob Tonts
Debut Story: Hail to the Queen, TNG

2) Debra Fran Baker
Debut Story: Fire and Rain, VOY

3) Laura Taylor
Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

4) Ariana Lilcamp
Debut Story: In That Order, DS9

5) CDInchauste
Debut Story: Pain and Sadness, DS9 (poem)

6) Charles Rando
Debut Story: Star Trek-Infinity: The Beginning, MISC

7) Alison
Debut Story: Ripples, VOY/HL Xover

8) Beth A Yardley (aka E Stewart)
Debut Story: "The Future's Past", TNG P/C

9) Arachne
Debut Story: Between Decks, VOY C/P

10) Jungle Kitty
Debut Story: The Wedding Gift

11) Simon Clay
Debut Story: Grey Area, TNG

12) Barbara J Chin
Debut Story: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas

13) Niamh Crilly
Debut Story: No Time, VOY (poem)

14) Michael Roy Hollihan
Debut Story: The End and The Beginning, VOY

15) Raku
Debut Story: Never and Always, TOS

16) Melissa B.
Debut Story: Consequences, VOY

17) Julia Houston
Debut Story: From Me to Q (TNG)

18) Varoneeka
Debut Story: From Q With Love

19) Lisa Broom
Debut Story: The Captains Experiment, TNG

20) Jeane Noriega (jrn)
Debut Story: Symphony, DS9

21) Margaret Berger
Debut Story: In His Minds's Eye, VOY

22) Expressivo
Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

23) Captain Jinx
Debut Story: B'Elanna's Secret, VOY

24) Yeats Kurzweil
Debut Story: Hope, VOY

25) Danger Mom
Debut Story: Turn Around, VOY

26) J A Toner
Debut Story: Log Entries, VOY

27) Jennifer Hallmark
Debut Story: Captain Gallant, VOY

28) Emily Salzfass
Debut Story: Requiem for Gallitep, DS9

29) Kaki
Debut Story: Misson to Neverias

30) Charlene Vickers
Debut Story: Biological Imperatives, VOY

31) Jadenlore
Debut Story: The Way Of All Flesh, TNG

32) Jennifer Ferris
Debut Story: Connection, VOY

33) Jenny Funnell
Debut Story: "Technique", TNG

34) Jackee C
Debut Story: Grace

35) Deanna
Debut story: "Spock's Surprise", TOS

36) Marcia Elena
Debut story: "In the Space of one Breath", VOY

37) Marlissa Campbell
Debut story: Kalevian Montar, DS9

38) Kimberly Streeter
Debut story: Reasons, VOY

39) Keikimo
Debut Story: Gymnastics, VOY

40) Terabithia
Debut Story: Together we Stand, VOY

41) Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com)
Debut Story: The Answer, TNG

42) schmianna
Debut Story: The Unbroken Bond, TNG

43) Zlanna Freyermuth
Debut Story: Conversation Stopper, TNG

44) Katherine Fritz
Debut Story: Letters from the Delta Quadrant, VOY

45) Pollyanna
Debut Story: Mission Beyond

46) Liz Williams
Debut Story: In A Stone City, DS9

47) Envoy
Debut Story: Numb, VOY

48) Jackie Barnes
Debut Story: Darling Founder, DS9

49) Chris Herrman
Debut Story: The Angry Warrior

50) A. Kite
Debut Story: Hidden Talents, DS9

51) Suzanne Finn
Debut Story: Whither Thou Goest, VOY

52) Monica
Debut Story: Scorpion III, VOY

53) Syl Francis
Debut Story: Summer Camp, TOS

54) Kim Brotherton
Debut Story: Irreversible? VOY

55) Jazz Man
Debut Story: On Bajor's Newborn Wings, MIS

56) Don Buchan
Debut Story: A Day in the Life of the Wuss series, TNG

57) Kattz
Debut Story: Input, TNG

58) Sean Clark-McCarthy
Debut Story: Rescue.

59) Julie Evans
Debut Story: Down the Rabbit Hole, VOY

60) Maureen
Debut Story: Orange Flame, DS9

61) Troy Yeary
Debut Story: Retributions

62) Roger M Wilcox
Debut Story: Borged to Death! TNG

63) Jennifer Presley
Debut Story: With These Eyes

64) Deborah L Wells
Debut Story: The Unconsoled, VOY

65) Emily
Debut Story: Tenderly, TNG

66) Valerie Shearer
Debut Story: Dark Journey

67) Zeborah
Debut Story: That Lazer Eye, Voy

68) Sasscat Bu-to-y
Debut Story: Little Kes Riding Hood, VOY

69) Jeff Jacques
Debut Story: Full Circle, TNG

70) elise
Debut Story: Subconscious Wisdom

71) Liz Ann Cato
Debut Story: The Faces on the Wall

72) Anmaya
Debut Story: The Unbroken Bond, TNG

73) Dr Quanta
Debut Story: Share The Dream

74) Kate D
Debut Story: Tempest Tossed, VOY
--
Stephen Ratliff CS Major, Radford University.
srat...@runet.edu Radford, Virginia 24142-7496

The ASC Awards run 2/15/98 - 3/25/98
http://www.cs.runet.edu/~sratliff/awards/

"The path of the prophets sometimes leads into darkness and pain."
-DS9's "Far Beyond the Stars"

CWilson980

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

16) Melissa B.
Debut Story: Consequences, VOY

The dark side to Chakotay's experiences. Well written and very believable--to
bad TPTB don't understand the aftereffects of torture, brainwashing...

34) Jackee C
Debut Story: Grace

A bizarre story, but fun. Jackee does a great job with description and building
characters...SNW agrees with this assessment too.

51) Suzanne Finn
Debut Story: Whither Thou Goest, VOY

I've become very fond of Suz's works, her characters are thoughtful, sometimes
funny...always believable.

59) Julie Evans
Debut Story: Down the Rabbit Hole, VOY

I came to this story backwards. I read the 3rd one in her series first and was
so taken that I read the other two parts. She did a great job in this story
(and the immediate sequel) of creating two different B'Elanna's who switch
places...

63) Jennifer Presley
Debut Story: With These Eyes

I look forward to Jennifer's stories. Her Janeway and Chakotay are fun,
romantic--intense.

64) Deborah L Wells
Debut Story: The Unconsoled, VOY

The Queen of torture--ours! Her stories are extremely intense, dark, scary,
horrific. But yet humanity remains...the characters are gritty, realistic...
Again she looks things TPTB would never dream of.

JWinterCNA

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

<<<53) Syl Francis
Debut Story: Summer Camp, TOS>>>

This one should win, hands down. We've seen a lot of new stuff this year, and
this one really stands out. I should know. I lost out to Syl on the ASCA TOS
awards. What is remarkable was that "Summer Camp" does not read like a first
time author. Nor does it fall into the same tired cliches we see when someone
tries to write about regular characters in their early years. This was a fresh
story that made use of canon and noncanon sources quite well.

JFunnell

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

>6) Charles Rando
> Debut Story: Star Trek-Infinity: The Beginning, MISC

One of my favourite original Star Trek universes! Quite enjoyable. The
Infinity universe was off to a godd start, and Mr Rando shows every
indication of keeping it that way!!

>11) Simon Clay
> Debut Story: Grey Area, TNG

Tall, pink men! Oh, this story had me grinning like a Cheshire cat for quite
a while!

>13) Niamh Crilly
> Debut Story: No Time, VOY (poem)

I always enjoy Niamh's poems. Short and satisfying.

>22) Expressivo
> Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

Oh, yes! My favourite PWP writer of all time! People, read anything by
Espressivo, I tell you! You won't regret it!

>23) Captain Jinx
> Debut Story: B'Elanna's Secret, VOY

Do I even need to say why this particular captain is so talented? B'Elanna'
underwear... <muffled chuckle>

>31) Jadenlore
> Debut Story: The Way Of All Flesh, TNG

One of my personal favourite writers! I looove this lady's Treksmut!

>41) Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com)
> Debut Story: The Answer, TNG

And another of my faves... Hey, pass the Treksmut! <evil grin>

>53) Syl Francis
> Debut Story: Summer Camp, TOS

This was a brilliant piece of work! And especially for a "new" author!

>56) Don Buchan
> Debut Story: A Day in the Life of the Wuss series, TNG

LOL!! This always gave me a much needed laugh. What was it with all that
iced tea, (ten degrees celsius) anyway? Didn't Wes need to sleep at all?

>57) Kattz
> Debut Story: Input, TNG

I always liked that movie, and I was very sorry this story was never
continued beyond the first two parts, because it's a very nice piece of
work!

>69) Jeff Jacques
> Debut Story: Full Circle, TNG

A very intruiging, logical and well-written account of one possible fate of
the "Yesterday's Enterprise" Yar. Go, Mr Jaques!

Claire

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

> 3) Laura Taylor
> Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

What can I say? I love all of Laura's work, especially her K/Du. I loved
Serpent and Hawk.

> 4) Ariana Lilcamp
> Debut Story: In That Order, DS9

Ariana's K/Du is also great, especially 'In the Prophet's Footsteps.'

> 15) Raku
> Debut Story: Never and Always, TOS

Another great new author. Raku's stuff is always great, especially
his/her K/S works - I love them all.

> 23) Captain Jinx
> Debut Story: B'Elanna's Secret, VOY

Captain Jinx's stories often have me grinning like an idiot by the time
I'm done. I always look forward to them.

> 37) Marlissa Campbell
> Debut story: Kalevian Montar, DS9

Marlissa's K/Du, especially 'Skin Deep' is great. She captures Dukat and
Kira perfectly.

> 40) Terabithia
> Debut Story: Together we Stand, VOY

Another great author. Her C/P work is great.

--

Claire Martirosian - OCHFB5D patient
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/9355/

Laura Taylor

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

Stephen Ratliff wrote:

> The following list is of those people who had the courage to post thier
> first work this year. At this time I'd like to congraduate all of ASC's
> Class of 1997 for all thier hard work.

> This Award is :

> The Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author.

> 37) Marlissa Campbell

> Debut story: Kalevian Montar, DS9

In order to write a character well, a writer must try to get inside
the character's skin (or scales, as the case may be), to become
familiar with all aspects, good and bad alike, of that character. It's
not an easy job, especially with a character you love, and it's even
more difficult with a character you hate. And, when it's a character
as complex and opaque as Gul Dukat, 'capturing' his essence on paper
(or screen) is even more difficult.

There seem to be two prevailing attitudes towards Dukat: people either
love him or they hate him. As a result, he tends to come across in
fanfic as either an overly idealized romantic hero (something of which
I am more than guilty) or a reprehensible slimebag.

Marlissa has, more than any other Dukat writer I've come across,
accurately and, more importantly, *respectfully* captured the full
spectrum that is Dukat, and she has done so by presenting a view of
him primarily through the eyes of two women who have every reason in
the world to despise him, yet, somehow, find it in themselves to see
beyond their own hatred and not only accept him for those flaws, but
learn to feel affection for him.

"Kalevian Montar" is not an easy story to read. It deals with
unpleasant subject matters such as rape/coercion without rose-tinted
glasses, yet doesn't smack you upside the head with proclamations of
'this behavior is *wrong*'. It is honest without being brutal, yet at
the same time it is tender without being overly sentimental.

The reader gets to see Dukat from multiple angles, which expertly
evokes his complexity. Ziyal, Odo, and Quark all have different
perspectives on Dukat's behavior during the Occupation, but the two
perspectives that matter most in this story are those of Kira and Tora
Naprem. The story is about Kira's efforts, at Ziyal's request, to
learn more about Naprem, and what she learns about Naprem's
relationship with Dukat after the discovery of Naprem's old diaries.
The use of the diary entries to paint a picture of a character who has
been in DS9's background, yet never seen, for 2 years, is superb. Not
only does the reader learn about Naprem, but also about Dukat as seen
through Naprem's eyes, and then, to sweeten it even more, about Kira
as she reads, and comments on, the entries. And if that's not enough,
after reading through these painful entries, and seeing Kira's
reaction to them, the reader then learns that Dukat has known all
along about the supposedly secret diaries. That was such a wonderful
twist that it *still* leaves me shaking my head in wonder.

To be honest, "Kalevian Montar" is not my favorite of Marlissa's
stories; I much prefer "Skin Deep". But for a first outing, this is
one that just knocks your socks off. I could die a happy woman if I
could ever, *ever*, write a Dukat as marvelously complex as what
Marlissa has written. She has not only accurately captured him in all
his shades of gray, but she has also crafted a wonderful story that is
loaded with multiple layers of subtext and profound emotional depth.
This is a Dukat who can be *both* loved *and* hated, and that is a
feat worthy of admiration.

Laura
--
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
"Basically, we all saw each other in the bathrooms. That's a girl

Kelly Sullivan, one of the first women to survive VMI's 'rat
line'

ARM

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

Stephen Ratliff wrote:

> This Award is :
> The Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author.

> 2) Debra Fran Baker

> Debut Story: Fire and Rain, VOY

Debra is an excellent writer. I was surprised to see her name on the
list. I thought that she had been around longer. I guess it just seems
like I have been reading her wonderful stories for more than a year.

> 4) Ariana Lilcamp
> Debut Story: In That Order, DS9

Ariana is on her way to making me a fan of Dukat. I have always enjoyed
seeing him on screen, but usually to hate him. She is making me see a
more appealing side to him.

> 21) Margaret Berger
> Debut Story: In His Minds's Eye, VOY

One of my favorite, C/P authors Margaret is another name I thought I
had seen around for longer. Having devored every one of her stories that
I can get my grubby hands on, I am always waiting for more fanfic from
her.

> 23) Captain Jinx
> Debut Story: B'Elanna's Secret, VOY

We bow down before the Captain. His P/T stories are a joy to read. They
aren't PWP, but they are still quite sexy.

> 25) Danger Mom
> Debut Story: Turn Around, VOY

Danger Mom is another great P/T writer. Her stories have served as many
a study break.

> 39) Keikimo
> Debut Story: Gymnastics, VOY

Loved "Gymnastics" and all the rest. Now excuse me while I go bother
her about giving us another story.

> 40) Terabithia
> Debut Story: Together we Stand, VOY

I remember this story! I read it at 1 AM when I should have been asleep
since I had class the next morning. Great job.

> 46) Liz Williams
> Debut Story: In A Stone City, DS9

Garak isn't easy to write and Liz does an excellent job. I've read this
story three or four times.

> 74) Kate D
> Debut Story: Tempest Tossed, VOY

Kate D is another one of those pesky C/P authors that got me hooked on
another slash couple. Now, where is the next story?
I made more comments than I expected. I think we had a great year for
new authors.
ARM (ar...@geocities.com)

Uisge jack

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

Say hello to self promotion 101.... Since no one apparently rememberd me
*sniff*

Tara O'Shea aka LJC (uisg...@aol.com)
Debut story:
Would You, Could You, VOY

followed by:
Shared Pain, Shared Joy, VOY
Needing The Lie, VOY
Trust No Glass, VOY

LJC (slinking off to mope)

JanetRL

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

>Say hello to self promotion 101.... Since no one apparently rememberd me
>*sniff*
>
>Tara O'Shea aka LJC

{{{{Tara}}}} How could anyone forget you? You're our loony archivist!

-Janet
Jan...@aol.com OR Jan...@juno.com
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that
matters, in the end." -Ursula K. Leguin

Syl

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98
to JWinterCNA

Hey, what a swell guy! With compliments like that I don't need to win
the award--you've just won yourself a tireless fan!
Syl

JWinterCNA wrote:

> <<<53) Syl Francis
> Debut Story: Summer Camp, TOS>>>

Stephen Ratliff

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Stephen Ratliff (srat...@runet.edu) wrote:
Updated List:

The following list is of those people who had the courage to post thier
first work this year. At this time I'd like to congraduate all of ASC's
Class of 1997 for all thier hard work.

This Award has been named this year for the following residents of
Alt.StarTrek.Creative who have encouraged many of our new authors:

Greywolf, the Wanderer. A tireless source of comments, the Wolf has
made many of our authors feel right at home with his words

Little Otter, aka Joe the Macedon. The stewart defender of the group,
Macedon has been a source of much needed comments and critism. His work
in keeping this group harmonous are worth of reconition.

The following is the list for the Wolf and Otter Award for Best New
Author. If you posted your first story to ASC between 2/01/97 and
1/31/98, and are not one of the 49 on the list, please let me know.
Voting for this award will occur in March.

75) Judith Gran
Debut Story: Terminus, TOS

76) Tara O'Shea aka LJC (uisg...@aol.com)
Debut story: Would You, Could You, VOY

--
Stephen Ratliff CS Major, Radford University.
srat...@runet.edu Radford, Virginia 24142-7496
rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc's polite target. Marrissa Stories Author
http://www.cs.runet.edu/~sratliff/
http://www.cs.runet.edu/~sratliff/FAQs/ FAQ Maintainer for ASC.

The ASC Awards run 2/15/98 - 4/02/98
http://www.cs.runet.edu/~sratliff/awards/

- "Chief, how does that poem end?" "You don't want to know."
- Garek and O'Brien about "The Charge of the Light Brigade" in
Deep Space Nine's "Sacrifice of Angels"

Ariana

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

My turn to cast my votes...

>3) Laura Taylor
> Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

Laura is definitely one of the most talented authors to have joined our
ranks last year. She is also one of the few people who writes in more
than one series, since she has so far written TNG, Voyager and DS9
stories. Of course, the reason I came to know her so well was through her
contributions to the K/Du genre - not to mention her enthusiastic
reaction to the Collaborator's story "The Agreement". ;) She is
definitely a writer to watch out for and I know she has lots of yummy
works in progress. :)

>4) Ariana Lilcamp
> Debut Story: In That Order, DS9

A K/Du author with an unusually poetical take on the pairing. She's been
writing for years, but now she's joined ASC I think we can look forward
to hearing lots more from her.

>28) Emily Salzfass
> Debut Story: Requiem for Gallitep, DS9

Only a few stories to date (that I know of), but I think we can look
forward to plenty more. Her speciality is Occupation stories, which
certainly makes her unique in the realm of DS9 writers.

>37) Marlissa Campbell
> Debut story: Kalevian Montar, DS9

Marlissa started off her ASC career with a bang with the highly original
"Kalevian Montar" and confirmed that promise with "Skin Deep" - which
features an astonishingly brilliant premise, excellently executed. The
only thing I would have to say against Marlissa is that she's a slow
writer - I *know* she has a life <g>, but one can only regret that she
can't give us more of her well-crafted tales. On the other hand, when she
does finish a story, it is always a treat, and makes the wait well
worthwhile. ;)

>46) Liz Williams
> Debut Story: In A Stone City, DS9

I must admit, I was getting a little tired of G/B stories, which all
ended up sounding the same to me. But Liz managed to breathe new life
into the pairing (at least for me ;) with her unusual stories and
beautiful writing. And it doesn't hurt that she writes a good Dukat as
well!

And that concludes the votes of the French jury for this award. :)

Pamster

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

>The following is the list for the Wolf and Otter Award for Best New
>Author.

>22) Expressivo
> Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

I have been very impressed with the work of this author. Stories have been rich
with detail, very good characterizations, and the erotic content is very
natural, not at all forced. An author who's stories I always look forward to
reading.

>31) Jadenlore
> Debut Story: The Way Of All Flesh, TNG

Another great new writer - She's really got a good feel for characterizations,
and a nice flair for descriptions.

>33) Jenny Funnell
> Debut Story: "Technique", TNG

Oh, what can I say about this woman? Her stories are like rollercoaster rides -
they're thrilling, exhilirating, scary, but always leave you wanting MORE!! She
takes hoary old cliches and twists them around, breathing new life into them.
The only problem I have with her stories is that there just aren't enough of
them!!! :D

>41) Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com)
> Debut Story: The Answer, TNG

Huh? Who dat? ;)

Pam...@aol.com

"My life makes perfect sense - lust and food and violence." - Dire Straits,
'Heavy Fuel'

Come laugh at my pathetic excuse for a website.
http://members.aol.com/Pamster

Debra Fran Baker

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

In <6fcjqo$4...@newslink.runet.edu> srat...@runet.edu (Stephen Ratliff) writes:

>21) Margaret Berger
> Debut Story: In His Minds's Eye, VOY

Margaret is one of the finest writers we have. This and her Sweet Dreams
series have brought new depth to these characters.

--
One sharp peppercorn is better than a basketful of melons.
-- Tractate Megillah 7A

Charles Rando

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

33) Jenny Funnell
Debut Story: "Technique", TNG

Jenny is definitely one of my favorite authors on ASC... which is why it
took me so long to find her here... I thought she'd be on the Alara
Award list! But she has such a great sense of any character she uses,
from Data to Q... even to Commander Riker... and her great sense of
humor has made me laugh aloud on more than one occasion, from the Star
Trek Primer to imagining the entire TNG crew doing the Macarena! Bravo
Jenny, and I'll look for you on the other list next year... <G>

Charlie
--
"We played Dungeons and Dragons for three hours... then I was slain by
an elf!" -Homer Simpson

jade...@rocketmail.com

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Stephen Ratliff wrote:

> Please follow up to this post with comments under each of the authors
> you have read and enjoyed.  More Information on the ASC Award is
> available in the Note for this Awards Period.  This Award will be open

> from 3/22/98 to 4/01/98
>
> This Award is :
> The Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author.
>

> 22) Expressivo
>         Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

Oh, I just adore Espressivo's vignettes. They run the gamut from soft
and
sensual to hard and brutal. Definitely one of my favorite authors, and

hope we see more from her soon.

> 33) Jenny Funnell
>         Debut Story: "Technique", TNG

Jenny's stories are always wonderful. She always has an original idea,
and
I'm never disappointed with any of her work. I think I need to employ
her
full-time to come up with more stories!

> 41) Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com)
>         Debut Story: The Answer, TNG

Pamster has a wonderful grasp of Data's character, portraying him as
such a
tragic figure. Just lovely.

> 48) Jackie Barnes
>         Debut Story: Darling Founder, DS9

Got me hooked on reading Weyoun stories, and that's saying a lot, as
I'm
very selective reader.

J...

--
"Everything tires with time, and starts to
seek some opposition, to save it from itself."

J. Juls

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Expressivo Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

If you want to see Data having sex with someone unusual, look no further!

Jadenlore
Debut Story: The Way Of All Flesh,

You want nasty, nasty stories? Try Jadenlore! Kinky!

Jenny Funnell
Debut Story: "Technique",

This gal is a veritable fount of stories! From rated G to rated X, she has
'em all. I don't know how she has time for a life with all the stories she
writes--some hilarious, some sexy, some nasty! Anyway I hope she doesn't
stop!

Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com) Debut Story: The Answer,

Look to Pamster for nice insights into Data and Geordi's relationship, not
to mention good ol' Lore!

Marlissa Campbell

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

srat...@runet.edu (Stephen Ratliff) wrote:

>Stephen Ratliff (srat...@runet.edu) wrote:
>Updated List:
>

>The following list is of those people who had the courage to post thier
>first work this year. At this time I'd like to congraduate all of ASC's
>Class of 1997 for all thier hard work.

Hear, hear! A big round of applause to everyone who posted their
first story this year! I *know* what it takes to swallow that
nervousness and push that 'send' button for the first time. The
second time is kind of unnerving too ...but it *does* get easier.

And to anyone else out there who is thinking about posting a Star Trek
story they've written -- or who has a story idea that they're not
sure is worth pursuing... GO FOR IT!

>The following is the list for the Wolf and Otter Award for Best New
>Author. If you posted your first story to ASC between 2/01/97 and
>1/31/98, and are not one of the 49 on the list, please let me know.
>Voting for this award will occur in March.

>3) Laura Taylor
> Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

There is an incredible amount of talent represented on this list -- I
was really amazed to find that some of the authors listed here were
newcomers this year. So absolutely no slight intended to anyone else,
but I have to cast my vote here for Laura Taylor -- and not because
she totally embarrassed me elsewhere in this thread (although payback
*is* sweet ;)).

So let's see, where to start extolling Laura's virtues. Well, I've
already gone on ad nauseum in other sections of this contest about her
'vividness'. So, I won't dwell on it here -- I'll just mention it
again ;). It's astonishing, and almost scary, how she manages to
reach right into my brain with her words and put a picture there.
It's a quality I'm totally envious of, and seldom find -- even in the
'better sort' (ahem) of published fiction.

But apart from that, I think she should have this particular award for
applying those skills as a writer to such a wide variety of Star Trek
series, situations, and characters. I must shamefacedly confess that
I haven't acutally read 'Oasis' -- Laura's debut work on asc. I
became a hopeless fan of hers when she posted 'Facilis Decensus
Averno'. I've already gone on about this particular story at some
length under the 'Voyager Story Awards', so I won't repeat myself
here. Suffice it to say that it is one of my all time favorite fanfic
stories -- a true epic in every sense of the word.

But did Laura stop there? No way! She's treated us to a number of
delightful shorter pieces -- vignettes such as 'Mi Rumba Enchando
Candela' (J/C), 'Communion' (K/Du); and 'Aspirations' (Q,7,J,C).
Notice something here? She quite comfortably jumped between series,
topics ('Aspirations' is about the meaning of life, *not* romance),
and showed *no* hesitation in taking on characters as different -- but
equally complex and difficult to handle -- as Q and Dukat.

*And*, let us not forget her sweeping, high-romance debut into the
K/Du genre: 'The Serpent and the Hawk'. If you haven't read it, do
yourself a favor and give it a try. If anyone can convincingly write
a story in which Kira falls in love with Dukat -- it's definitely
Laura. What's really annoying is that she set out to write this story
without initially having seen much DS9 at all -- caught up on tapes,
checked the available databases, and wrote us all a love affair to
remember :).

But she didn't stop there either...oh no. Her next K,Du piece was not
another romance, but a very dark and brooding study of a post-'Waltz'
Dukat -- 'Bittersweet Revenge'. Brutally realistic, tragic, and very
thought provoking. I wish this was the episode we'd be seeing on our
TV's next week rather than the much rumored 'Wrongs Darker....'

So for tackling everything from PWPs ('Quid Pro Quo'), to epics, to
high romance; for handling all kinds of sticky characters and making
up some highly original new ones; for never ceasing to come up with
something novel and fascinating; and for doing it all with incredible
skill.... I recommend to you, Laura Taylor. What *will* she come up
with next?

Marlissa

Lisa Karaganis

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

>>3) Laura Taylor
>> Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

It seems that I've run out of time for everything else, but I would be
terribly remiss if I didn't cast my vote for this extremely talented
author.

Shamefacedly I must admit that I have not read Laura's debut. I first
saw Laura's name attached to a story about my own favorite pair --
Janeway and Chakotay. I can't even remember if it was a story fragment
or chapter I was reading. All I can remember is that it was one of the
finest pieces of writing, published or unpublished, that I had ever
read in my life. I was so overcome that I emailed her immediately and
she was kind enough to invite me to be a beta reader of this story.
The story, of course, turned into the epic "Facilis Descensus Averno".

Many wonderful things have been said about this piece, and they are
all true. The characterizations are true, the plot is plausible. It's
an alternate version of Voyager that remains true to the ST vision,
yet expands the rigid parameters by the length and breadth of an
entire universe. The depth of characterization is tremendous -- it's
where the characters could be if the suits had pelotas enough to try
something as daring as platonic friendship and/or love.

One more thing, and then I'll be done. Marlissa is oh-so-correct when
she points out that Laura can write comfortably in any of the ST
settings. She has the "voices" of our beloved characters down to near
perfection and the settings and stories are always compelling. And
although she now writes about two characters that I just can't quite
bring myself to enjoy (apologies to all you K/Du's out there), I still
read the stories for the beautiful prose that is the hallmark of all
her work.

If you want storytelling at its finest, run to the nearest archive and
read her work. You will not be disappointed.

Lisa
(leaving her comfy gutter to try and find this "Oasis" that Laura
writes about -- I thought I was already there!)

Stephen Ratliff

Kevas

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

16) Melissa B.
Debut Story: Consequences, VOY

If we can only name one... not sure how this is supposed to work But if
there's just one? I have to recommend Melissa B. for best new author. Her
"Consequences" is disturbing, in-depth and is one of the few fanfic stories
that really delves into the, well, consequences of some of the stuff we see on
the air! If these really happened, well, there'd be fallout. And there is.
And it's a fine ride she takes us on.

And her work following Consequences--the sequel Peregrination (and the upcoming
second sequel, Terminus, for which I'm waiting on the edge of my seat!) -- but
also her other examinations of the Voyager universe and J/C -- Fealty (a
*wonderful* work), and Last Communion, and The Other Side of The Wall - and,
well, the list goes on. Not only can she write, but she keeps it up!

Highly recommended. Without reservation. Go read. She's terrific.

Jen

Stephen Ratliff

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

:
: If we can only name one... not sure how this is supposed to work But if
: there's just one?
Name all you want ... this is counted in number of lines.

Stephen

Wildcat

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98
to Stephen Ratliff

Being a newbie, I was amazed to see the names that showed up on this
list. I would never have thought some of these were newbies, as well!
Since I don't read much TNG, DS9, or VOY, I'm going to stick with TOS.
And, of TOS, two in particular stand out to me:

> This Award is
> Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author
>

> 10) Jungle Kitty
> Debut Story: The Wedding Gift

Jungle Kitty is so prolific, and writes everything from short, fun PWP's
to longer, more involved stories. And, I enjoy everything that she
does. (Does anyone keep tally of who posted the *most* stories for the
year?)

> 15) Raku
> Debut Story: Never and Always, TOS

Raku is one of the few authors that I will read regardless of what type
of Trek it is, even doing Voyager that I enjoy. His/her (someone help
me out, here!) work is always touching, and true to the characters.

Katie Redshoes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On 23 Mar 1998 00:49:54 GMT in alt.startrek.creative,

srat...@runet.edu (Stephen Ratliff) wrote:
>This Award is :
>The Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author.
>
>2) Debra Fran Baker
> Debut Story: Fire and Rain, VOY
A lovely debut story, and Debra writes well. It's been awhile since I
read this one, but I remember having to get a Kleenex after finishing
it. Still makes me feel misty thinking about it. I think Debra also
wrote "Darkness"? -- which paints a fascinating and disturbing
portrait of Harry Kim, well worth your time.

>3) Laura Taylor
> Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

I haven't read this one but have read "The Descent to Hell is Easy"
(I'm not going to try to mangle the Latin title), and Laura is an
impressive writer.

>7) Alison
> Debut Story: Ripples, VOY/HL Xover

Alison (now posting as Aeron Lanart) does nice work, with a nicely
complex and detailed relationship amongst Paris, Kim, Torres, and an
original character, Siannon O'Niall.

>10) Jungle Kitty
> Debut Story: The Wedding Gift

I missed this one, but I've read a whole slew of Jungle Kitty's
Kirk/Brandt stories, which I highly recommend to all. They're funny
and *hot*, which as I've mentioned before, gets extra points from me!
I look forward to the further adventures of the Tomcat and the Brat!
:-) And one of these days I *gotta* catch up on the rest of her
stuff...

>12) Barbara J Chin
> Debut Story: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas

This was a lovely debut and I look forward to future entries from
Barbara.

>13) Niamh Crilly
> Debut Story: No Time, VOY (poem)

Niamh's poems are lovely and evocative and I hope she keeps posting
them.

>15) Raku
> Debut Story: Never and Always, TOS

Raku has quickly established a reliable "brand name" in the world of
Trekfic, with stories that are well-crafted and thought-provoking (and
frequently hot). I think "The Judgment of Paris" is the best to date,
managing to pull together the TOS and VOY universes through convincing
letters written from the individual POV's of Paris, Spock, Kirk, Tuvok
*and* Chakotay. Hard to imagine being able to get into the heads of
five such disparate characters believably, but Raku pulls it off with
style.

>17) Julia Houston
> Debut Story: From Me to Q (TNG)

Haven't read this one, but Julia's "Waves" is wonderful, and she
writes very well.

>21) Margaret Berger
> Debut Story: In His Minds's Eye, VOY

I don't know what I can say about Margaret, except that she's
impressed me from the very beginning with this story. Her writing is
sharp, her dialogue is fresh and true, she brings everyone to life
with fully realized characterization that makes me feel I know these
people. Margaret's stories are full of passion and I love them, love
them, love them.

There are many stories in which Tom Paris suffers major angst, but "In
His Mind's Eye" in which his life completely unravels around him,
ranks first, in my opinion. And yet, the story is never over the top,
never takes that last step over the line into a completely
unbelievable "how much can Tom suffer?" wallow. I actually haven't
been able to read much Tom-angst since; everything else falls short
compared to this one.

If IHME were the only story Margaret wrote all year, that would be
impressive enough, but she also went on to produce the superior "Sweet
Dreams" C/P series, up to (I think) seven parts now. Frankly, this is
one of the few C/P "universes" that I find truly convincing. I mean,
I'm crazy about Tom Paris, and the Big C is pretty hot, too, but I
sometimes have trouble picturing them together, much as I love 'em
both. But "Sweet Dreams" and its sequels just sweeps me away in
belief.

Margaret also wrote the intense and exciting "Enmity Mine" -- another
alternate universe in which Janeway and Tuvok are killed at the end of
Caretaker, and Chakotay assumes command of Voyager. Here Tom is a
distrusted enemy, skating on the edge of execution (as Seska keeps
urging Chakotay) until a situation arises where Tom is the only person
for the job. Not a C/P but a C *and* P, in which the antagonism
between the two men is played for all it's worth, but again, Margaret
pulls it off in a completely believable scenario. I hope she
continues this someday.

Lastly, I want to talk about "Closing In," one of my two favorite
stories of the year (the other being "The Rose and the Yew Tree," so
it's in pretty hot company). It's a story set in the future in which
Voyager has returned to the Alpha Quadrant, and Tom & his wife &
children journey home to see his family for the first time since his
father disowned him. It's written in the first person, from Admiral
Paris's point of view, and it's bittersweet, sentimental, tragic,
comic, and, in the end, completely heartbreaking. Anne in Chicago
first convinced me Admiral Paris was not an ogre in "Letter to an
Absent Son," but Margaret redeems him completely with an amazing
portrait of a proud and conflicted man who knows he has done wrong by
his son, thought he lost him, gains a second chance to make good, and
yet still finds himself at a loss for how to make amends. We see Tom
through his eyes, clearly secure in his skin, yet also stubborn in not
wanting to forgive. B'Elanna is a supporting character, yet drawn
with clear, strong strokes that firmly establish her importance in
Tom's own growth and redemption. Tom's sisters, too, are given full
due, and emerge as fully developed characters whom you'd like to get
to know better. Rounding out the cast are Tom's mother, his nieces
and nephews, and children, all of whom contribute to a wonderful
portrait of a family divided coming together for the first time. Yet
for all its emotion, there's not an ounce of sappiness in this story.
I laughed, I cried, I've read it through again and again and again.

I look forward with eager anticipation to each story Margaret writes.

>23) Captain Jinx
> Debut Story: B'Elanna's Secret, VOY

Well, now, I am a little biased here, but I do have to cast a vote for
the Captain. He's really my favorite Voyager author, y'know. ;-) I
love how he writes Tom and B'Elanna with humor and dignity in equal
measure. Oh, did I mention the sex is pretty hot? Woof! In
B'Elanna's Secret, and its sequels (B'Elanna's Secret 2: Leather and
Lace, Private Line, so far), we see the portrait of a happy,
angst-free couple enjoying life and each other in every sense of the
word. Angst and hurt/comfort have their place in the fanfic world,
but sometimes you just want a happy ending!

But even when *not* writing Treksmut, the Captain does well, as in the
lovely "Good Tidings," as others have mentioned (though he follows up
with the simmering "Comfort and Joy"). Check out the Jinxian universe
-- it's a nice place to be.

>24) Yeats Kurzweil
> Debut Story: Hope, VOY

I was a beta reader for Hope, and had the honor of posting it for my
friend Yeats, and I'm still impressed with the sweep and scope of this
exploration of the Janeway/Chakotay relationship. This is more
romantic than I often like, and yet, and yet...Yeats pulls it off and
leaves you wanting more (as I can attest from the fanmail I've been
pleased to be able to forward to her). And did I mention the sex is
pretty hot? Well, it is, and then some.

>25) Danger Mom
> Debut Story: Turn Around, VOY

DangerMom is another one of my favorite writers, with a sense of
balance and proportion in her rendering of the P/T relationship that,
well, just *works*, dammit! Romantic and sentimental in the very best
meanings of the words. She can also write funny (as in "The Crayon
Story") and she can write hot (as in "In the Midnight Hour," which I'm
not sure has been posted yet, but oh, baby!). More, DM, more!

>26) J A Toner
> Debut Story: Log Entries, VOY

Ooh, Jamelia is another favorite. She doesn't do much short stuff --
her stories tend to take on lives of their own :-) -- but they're very
much worth the time. I had the honor of being a beta reader on "Log
Entries," and it made me despair of ever writing a decent followup to
"Torrid" (I got over it, though I haven't done it yet!) -- and
ambitious telling of the Voyager story from Caretaker through Day of
Honor, from B'Elanna's POV. Outstanding!

Not everything Jamelia's done has been posted on ASC yet, so forgive
me for mentioning anything that hasn't been put up here yet -- but
she's shown an impressive range, from the sweet and soulful "Moonlight
and Shuttlecraft" to the angst of "The Mercenary" to the rollicking
high spirits of "Satisfaction" to the intensity of "Quid Pro Quo."
Not to mention her epic "Warmth" (which she swears to me is coming
soon to the newsgroup, right, Janet??)

>27) Jennifer Hallmark
> Debut Story: Captain Gallant, VOY

Jennifer's debut was a scream -- funny, hot and sexy as heck. I just
ROFL'd over the holodeck scenario of Tom as a pirate and B'Elanna as
his damsel in...well, not exactly distress, as Helmboy tries to
convince the Engineering Goddes to *please* just *play* the *game*!
The results are, well...I don't wanna spoil it.

>28) Emily Salzfass
> Debut Story: Requiem for Gallitep, DS9

I haven't read this one, but I've read other stories of Emily's and
they're all pretty darn good.

>30) Charlene Vickers
> Debut Story: Biological Imperatives, VOY

Charlene's universe is a bit different -- a little harder-edged, a
little tougher -- but it's a fascinating look at a Voyager with a lead
character, T'Elizab (sp), from an alternate future somehow transferred
to another present. Tuvok and Janeway, in particular, are handled in
a way I haven't seen before. Good stuff.

>34) Jackee C
> Debut Story: Grace

Haven't read this, but "Four Dead Fish" was hysterical, and the fact
that Jackee C had a story chosen for the SNW anthology speaks well.

>36) Marcia Elena
> Debut story: "In the Space of one Breath", VOY

Oh, my goodness! So much emotion packed into so few paragraphs! A
lovely debut, and I look forward to more from Marcia.

>39) Keikimo
> Debut Story: Gymnastics, VOY

Keikimo writes some hot stuff, and I enjoy her stories.

>40) Terabithia
> Debut Story: Together we Stand, VOY

The same goes for Terabithia as for Keikimo.

>44) Katherine Fritz
> Debut Story: Letters from the Delta Quadrant, VOY

Can I pout because nobody's voted for me? :-(

>47) Envoy
> Debut Story: Numb, VOY

Ooh. "Numb" just hit me hard when I first read it. An entirely
different view of Harry Kim than I'd ever imagined. Envoy's writing
is chilling, spare and elegant -- and each successive entry in this
series has scared the socks off me.

>59) Julie Evans
> Debut Story: Down the Rabbit Hole, VOY

Julie's epics, of which this was the first, are terrific, and I have
enjoyed them very much. Look also for "Into the Looking Glass" and
"Founding Aurora." But she's equally at home with the shorter form,
as in the romantic and lovely "New Year's Resolutions," as well as the
very funny "The Happiest Place on the Holodeck." Julie does a yummy
Paris/Torres relationship!

>67) Zeborah
> Debut Story: That Lazer Eye, Voy

I haven't read this story, but I have read Zeborah's entries in the
"70 Years Bad Luck" series, which she's co-written with Sasscat. So
far I've thoroughly enjoyed that series immensely and look forward to
future installments.

>68) Sasscat Bu-to-y
> Debut Story: Little Kes Riding Hood, VOY

I've really enjoyed Sasscat's demented retellings of classic fairy
tales. I think my favorites to date are "The Boy Who Cried Borg" and
"Three Crewmembers Gruff."

Constable Katie
Formatting Division, ASC Archive team
(when replying, remove "NOJUNK"from address first)

Mary Kay Knasinski

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Stephen Ratliff <srat...@runet.edu> wrote:

: Please follow up to this post with comments under each of the stories

: you have read and enjoyed. More Information on the ASC Award is
: available in the Note for this Awards Period. This Award will be open
: from 3/22/98 to 4/01/98

: This Award is
: Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author

: 3) Laura Taylor
: Debut Story: Oasis, TNG

Laura Taylor, "new" author? She sounds as if she's been writing all her
life, so assured is her command of language, the breadth of her knowledge,
the way she makes her characters "come alive" for me. Much as I adore her
Voyager stories, especially her "Facilis" masterpiece, I got to know her
after she began trying her hand at writing about one of my favorite Star
Trek characters of all time, Dukat. The work she does with him, and with
Kira, is truly spectacular.

: 37) Marlissa Campbell

: Debut story: Kalevian Montar, DS9

Another "debut story" that I'm incredibly jealous of - I read "Kalevian
Montar" fairly recently and was riveted, so wonderful did Marlissa create
the mood for me. She continues to create this mood every time she writes.
Her dialogue is realistic, the situations she writes stay in the mind long
after the story is finished, and best of all, she LOVES the characters,
and it shows. I read and re-read her work, and only wish she'd write more
frequently.

: 46) Liz Williams

: Debut Story: In A Stone City, DS9

I know I'm sounding repetitive here, but LIZ, a new author?? I'm
impressed beyond words at the way she can write such moving, atmospheric,
and thoughtful G/B - one of her stories affected me so much that I
couldn't even write any feedback to her for days - I kept thinking and
thinking of different situations she had written, but was a little too
emotionally involved to write a coherent letter. Her imagination is
incredible, and she writes G/B so appealingly well that I can hardly
imagine not having her stories to read and consider.

Mary

DataLaur

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

>10) Jungle Kitty
> Debut Story: The Wedding Gift
I really like everything that I've read of JK's. Keep writing!

>15) Raku
> Debut Story: Never and Always, TOS

Another super writer and I'll read anything Raku writes

>22) Expressivo
> Debut Story: Fortissimo, TNG

I loved the series of Data stories that Espressivo did! Still waiting for more
to show up... <grin>

>28) Emily Salzfass
> Debut Story: Requiem for Gallitep, DS9

I didn't read this story but I've seen others by Emily and I've enjoyed them
all. She has a wonderful descriptive ability - very poetic.

>31) Jadenlore
> Debut Story: The Way Of All Flesh, TNG

This is certainly intense stuff!!!!

>33) Jenny Funnell
> Debut Story: "Technique", TNG

Jenny is simply fabulous. I love *every single thing* she's ever written and
I've been examining my finances to see if I can hire her to write full time.
Technique was so good that she had me, someone who can't stand Riker, begging
for a sequel. And the sequel was even better than the first story. Her sense
of humor is amazing - Gun Wounds, Again was so incredibly funny. Same with
Here, Kitty. Every time I read Measure of An Android, I still go "OW"! But
she can definitely write more than humor - the action is *hot*. Yikes, her
D/La story, Quality Time, is sizzling. And her D/L/Maddox story was super hot
too. She can write stories that feel so right, it's amazing. The LaForge
story Gold and Silva, is a perfect example of this. I am presently suffering
greatly from a lack of new Jenny stuff....

>36) Marcia Elena
> Debut story: "In the Space of one Breath", VOY

I enjoyed this story very much.

>41) Pam Gaffney (Pam...@aol.com)
> Debut Story: The Answer, TNG

I *love* Pam's Data stories. Her characterization is very good and the
plotline is always intriguing. I can't wait for her next Data/Geordi story
(hint hint).

>47) Envoy
> Debut Story: Numb, VOY

This was a wonderful story - positively chilling.

Katie Redshoes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On 28 Mar 1998 17:57:19 GMT in alt.startrek.creative,

srat...@runet.edu (Stephen Ratliff) wrote:
>This Award is
>Wolf and Otter Award for Best New Author
[snip]

>76) Tara O'Shea aka LJC (uisg...@aol.com)
> Debut story: Would You, Could You, VOY

Oh, lordy. The post I replied to didn't have Tara on it. This was an
hysterical debut by the Loony Archivist of the PT Collective, and an
inspiration to many. I hope she's with us for a long, long time!