NEW2ASC: "Our Dearest Blood", 1/10 (TOS AU; K&S, Mc, Sa, A, Ch; [G] angst, h/c)

gamin...@my-deja.com

Feb 1, 2001, 9:57:10 PM2/1/01
This will be interesting...I've never tried to post a story part
using Deja, but we just started with a new ISP and aren't sure I'll be
able to use my newsreader with it.
Kattz, this is for the K&S category, although if you want to also
put it in AU, that's fine.

TITLE: Our Dearest Blood (as published in the zine VISIONS OF FUTURES
PAST [1991])

AUTHOR: Gamin Davis (arkiet...@usa.net)

SERIES: TOS (post-STIII) AU

CODES: K&S, Mc, Sa, A, Ch; angst and hurt/comfort

RATING: G

DISCLAIMER: For lo, the Deity Paramount doth own these characters; I
do but pay tribute to them.

SUMMARY: The first part of a 2-part STIII sequel, written as an
alternative to STIV, focusing on the early days of Spock's
recovery from the fal-tor-pan ceremony and Kirk's efforts to
help him.

COMMENTS: Be nice--my RL is still crashing. This was written A Long
Time Ago and thus has already been published, so the chances
of it being changed anyway are slim, fat and none. I was
working at the time under severe time and space limitations,
which is why this came out to be a fraction of what I wanted
it to be--the sequel IMO turned out much better--and it
should be viewed in that light. If you like it, let me
know; if you *really* like it (which is about as likely as
me jumping into an active volcano), you might consider
ordering the sequel, which is a zine novel and way too long
to post. Note: Spock is in a transitional state in this
story and should not be expected to behave as he normally
would. There are not, however, any instances of him crying
or other extreme (IMO) emotionalism, as far as I can recall.

******

Spock lived. That thought alone was enough, for the moment, to
drive from Kirk's mind all the apprehension and concern as he
contemplated the careers of his crew--careers now ruined because of
their willingness to become co-conspirators in his mutinous actions--
and wondered how to set things right again. The dual sacrifice of the
Enterprise and Kirk's son had not been in vain, and Kirk knew that
every one of the five who had joined him considered it well worth
whatever damage they had done to their standing in Starfleet. Spock
was alive; no fate that might await them could be terrible enough to
cancel out that joy, no punishment severe enough to block out Kirk's
memory of the feeling that had filled him when Spock came back to him
after the fal-tor-pan ceremony and spoke his name.

However, Spock was not yet himself again.

Something like a day had passed since the ceremony, and Kirk and
McCoy were guests in the home of Sarek and Amanda, who had made
arrangements for the rest of the crew to stay at a local hotel (the
Klingon Bird-of-Prey, meanwhile, having been impounded by Vulcan Space
Central and Maltz being held by Spaceport Security officials pending
further instructions from the Federation Council). Spock had been
sleeping in his room since the ceremony and neither Kirk nor McCoy had
been allowed to see him. Sarek was with him most of the time, and
T'Lar came and went several times--seeming mildly exasperated or
disappointed each time she left--but neither Vulcan had said two words
to the Humans since Sarek had brought them here.

They waited in the parlor now, trying to be patient; Amanda was
sitting with them on the sofa, wearing an elaborately embroidered robe,
since she had been sick for several weeks and this was the first time
in a while that she had been out of bed. She had not been able to be
at the katra ceremony, but Sarek had filled her in--told her how Kirk
had defied Starfleet and gone back to Genesis, rescued Spock's reborn
but rapidly aging body from the dying planet, and brought both him and
McCoy, the keeper of Spock's katra, back to Vulcan.

Amanda had always thought highly of Spock's two friends,
particularly Kirk, so it didn't really surprise her...but she was
pleased and grateful, nonetheless.

"I'd give a year's pay to know what's going on in there," McCoy
announced worriedly, suddenly breaking the silence.

"Forget it. You don't have it," Kirk quipped dryly. "After
Starfleet gets through with us, we'll be lucky to have the clothes on
our backs."

McCoy shook his head, lowering his eyes and sighing. "Don't
remind me."

At that moment, Sarek entered the parlor and approached them, his
hands clasped behind his back, looking very somber.

"How is Spock?" Amanda asked immediately.

"He is as he was when we left Mt. Seleya; there has been no
change," Sarek informed her quietly, then turned his penetrating gaze
upon Kirk. "T'Lar has done all she can. It is up to Spock, now."

This sounded like bad news to Kirk. "He's going to be all right,
isn't he?" he asked anxiously.

"I do not know," Sarek admitted reluctantly. "Kirk...may I ask
what your plans are now?"

"Frankly, Ambassador, I don't have any, yet," Kirk told him
honestly. "I hesitate to do *anything* until I'm sure Spock's going to
be all right."

Sarek made a noise that bore a suspicious resemblance to a sigh of
relief. "I had thought you would say that," he responded, stepping a
little closer to Kirk. "T'Lar and I have discussed the situation at
length. So far, the only thing Spock remembers clearly is you; T'Lar
believes, therefore, that *you*, Kirk, are a vital link between Spock
and the rest of his memory--and Spock knows this."

Kirk gave an elaborate shrug. "Sarek, if I can help, just...tell
me what to do."

"It will be necessary for you to spend a great deal of time with
him. Spock will be full of questions, and he will expect you to have
all the answers," Sarek explained. "As for the rest, I believe...you
will *know* what to do. I know of your mental bond with Spock--that
was the reason for my assumption that you carried his katra--and I have
informed T'Lar of its existence. We discussed that factor, also; Spock
will wish to draw on that bond--indeed, his complete recovery may be
largely dependent upon it--but you must not allow him to attempt any
mental contact with you before it is clear that he knows the necessary
mental disciplines. To do so before then could destroy both minds."

Kirk thought all of this over. "How will I know when to let him
use the mind-meld?"

"As Spock begins to remember more and more, he will eventually
rediscover his telepathic ability," Sarek elaborated. "He will then
feel compelled to seek out your thoughts. At that point, I will have
to take him in hand and re-instruct him in the mental disciplines I
taught him as a child. I will inform you when the time has come that
he can safely enter your mind." He let Kirk digest all this, allowing
his expression to soften a little for the first time since before
Spock's body had been retrieved from Genesis. "Spock will be awake
soon, and in a highly disoriented state; it might be advisable for you
to be with him when he wakes up. If you wish to go see him now, you
may do so."

Kirk nodded gratefully and hurried off toward the door, followed
cautiously by McCoy.

Amanda waited until they were gone, then stood up and faced Sarek
with eyes full of confusion and anxiety. "Sarek...?"

"Shh," Sarek interrupted gently. "Do not be concerned, Amanda;
Spock will recover. Kirk will do all he can to help him."

END PART 1

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/