ADMIN: Request For Comment Codes as a result of Star Trek (2009)

Stephen aka Old Man ASC

May 12, 2009, 10:50:59 PM5/12/09
Ladies and Gentlemen -

As you have no doubt noted, the new movie requires us to have some changes
to our codes FAQ. There has been some discussion already, and I had
planned on introducing a list of choices for selection today. However,
since I made that plan, I have noticed a growing consensus on this group,
and ASCEM as to that code. As I consider my job as FAQ Maintainer to take
and shape that consensus, I have decided that rather than refine the list
seen and suggested thus far, I will instead take and bring up for comment
the specific consensus that has developed over the last 24 hours.

For the series code for stories based on the Star Trek (2009) movie, I am
proposing:

AOS Alternate Original Series

This code has the benifit of being related to the current code for the crew
of Captain Kirk, TOS, yet is visually different enough to the eye.

For the most part, the codes from TOS will go over to AOS, save one
alteration. Fortunately the credits have actually helped me solve the
problem of two Spocks. The following will be the different note for AOS:

As AOS is the TOS characters with slightly different histories, the codes
for TOS carry over to AOS, with a special difference, regarding Spock.
While normally a character who transfers series, such as Worf, keeps his
code while doing so, in the case of Spock we have two verseions in AOS. As
such, the Spock from TOS has a different code than he has in TOS, as the
Spock native to that universe has that code. Therefore there is one change
to the TOS listing in AOS:

S Spock, the Spock native to AOS
Sp Spock Prime, the Spock from TOS

This coding is considered to be under discussion for the next week, and
tenatively in use. Should discussion indicate that these codes are
unacceptable, the Archive Team will make appropriate revisions during
archiving.

These changes will be considered final after discussion with the posting of
a new version of the Coding Your Story Properly FAQ on ASC and ASCEM.

Stephen
FAQ Maintainer, ASC*

Randy Guy n Gal

May 12, 2009, 11:40:34 PM5/12/09
> For the series code for stories based on the Star Trek (2009) movie, I am
> proposing:

> AOS Alternate Original Series

I suggest that someone writing an alternate universe story about "The
Trouble with Tribbles" might read that and miscode their story because it's
an alternate universe story set during the original series.

I've been thinking that

AUR Alternate Universe/Reboot

which clarifies that it's an alternate universe story from the reboot of
Star Trek.

I also would think that

RST Rebooted Star Trek

would be better than AOS as it would cover all fan fiction written in that
alternate timeline, including a Picard story which mentions Kirk's
adventures on the space needle thing.

Just my two k...

Alan Heah

May 13, 2009, 8:51:01 AM5/13/09
Hello Stephen aka Old Man ASC,

The short response: I too support AOS as the new code after the movie.

Qualification: Please note that earlier, the following esteemed ASCers
so far, have also expressed their AOS preference, in the thread 'The
Movie and Fanfiction Question' --
Mark Stanley, Ke Roth, Philippe de la Matraque, Alara Rogers.

The longer story:

Much as I like the new movie, I didn't initially feel it deserved the
'Original Series' honour, not even in the codes.
Like many here & elsewhere, I think it took so little from original
heritage, mostly the attention-grabbing bits (superficially the same
characters, races, Enterprise...), and rebooted as something else.

What changed my feelings:

- Already, the above writers accepted '-OS' very quickly.

- The fondly nostalgic performance put up by Leonard Nimoy (Spock
Prime), which to me, endorsed adequate spine from the original past,
into this movie.

- Co-writer Roberto Orci's explanatory interview, which attempts to fit
the movie nicely into a definitive 'AOS', using an alternate timeline
and quantum theory of time travel.
At least he believes he's trying for continuity.

--
Alan Heah

Philippe de la Matraque

May 13, 2009, 11:15:27 AM5/13/09
As before, I do like AOS. I don't like anything with "Reboot".

Gabrielle/Philippe

"Stephen aka Old Man ASC" <ste...@trekiverse.us> wrote in message

Ster Julie

May 13, 2009, 12:17:03 PM5/13/09
On May 13, 8:15 am, "Philippe de la Matraque"

<pdelamatra...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> As before, I do like AOS. I don't like anything with "Reboot".
>
> Gabrielle/Philippe

If anything needs a "reboot" it's the footwear shown in the new
movie. Kirk (and others) looked as if he was wearing galoshes! His
boots looked like he could pack a phaser, a communicator, a tricorder
and rations in them. I've heard of cargo pants, but cargo boots???

Peace!
Julianna, tongue firmly planted in cheek

D'Alaire

May 13, 2009, 4:16:25 PM5/13/09
> This code has the benifit of being related to the current code for the crew
> of Captain Kirk, TOS, yet is visually different enough to the eye.

Yes. My nod's for AOS.

~~D'A

Mark Stanley

May 16, 2009, 6:30:10 PM5/16/09
I'll just reiterate my support for both AOS and the Sp code for Spock Prime.

Mark

http://mrs260.fenfanfair.com/
http://www.squidge.org/garakbashir/