The Archive

Frankie Jackson

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97

Dear Stephen

I've just been to look at the archive and I see you've got my story
Father to the Man down as the ASC Awards TOS winner. Wish it was true
but that was won by Beside the Wells - a much better story all round.

Frankie

shanna...@koyote.com

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

It's no mistake, Frankie. The author of "Beside the Wells" made it plain
when the contest began that she was withdrawing it from consideration for
the contest because she was not reposting it because it was going to be
published in a zine. Stephen forgot about that until he was reminded.

And not being a slash fan, I much preferred your story, which was extremely
well-written -- not to say that "Beside the Wells" wasn't, it just wasn't my
cup of tea.

Speaking of TOS, sure hope to see more stories from you.

On 25 Sep 1997 17:39:07 -0700, frank...@hotmail.com (Frankie Jackson)
wrote:

shan...@koyote.com
Archivist
Star Trek Stories for All Ages
http://www.koyote.com/personal/shannara/asca

Susan Legge

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

>From: shanna...@koyote.com

>It's no mistake, Frankie. The author of "Beside the Wells" made it
plain
>when the contest began that she was withdrawing it from consideration
for
>the contest because she was not reposting it because it was going to be
>published in a zine. Stephen forgot about that until he was reminded.

This is all news to me - I can't say I was bothered about the winning
and losing aspect, the comments were much more welcome, but I never
turned the award down. I wouldn't be that rude.

I understand someone has been playing silly beggars, through no fault of
Stephen.

Jess

Susan Legge

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

shanna...@koyote.com

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

Not unless somebody posted under your name, Susan. The message written said
you couldn't be considered for the contest because you couldn't repost the
thing. It wasn't that you refused the award after it was given. The message
(posted before the contest ended) said you withdrew from consideration. Aw,
hell! Now, we're really confused! Stephen, better change it back. Jess
apparently changed her mind. Was there a separate award for K/S? There
wasn't, was there? Not enough nominations, right?

shanna...@koyote.com

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

On 26 Sep 1997 15:32:59 -0700, ukj...@hotmail.com (Susan Legge) wrote:

>>From: shanna...@koyote.com
>
>>It's no mistake, Frankie. The author of "Beside the Wells" made it
>plain
>>when the contest began that she was withdrawing it from consideration
>for
>>the contest because she was not reposting it because it was going to be
>>published in a zine. Stephen forgot about that until he was reminded.
>
>This is all news to me - I can't say I was bothered about the winning
>and losing aspect, the comments were much more welcome, but I never
>turned the award down. I wouldn't be that rude.
>
>I understand someone has been playing silly beggars, through no fault of
>Stephen.
>

>Jess

Three cheers for Frankie who spoke up saying he thought UK Jess had won the
general TOS awards. There was indeed a message posted -- we thought from
Jess -- saying she was withdrawing her story for consideration. So we handed
the award to the runner up, Frankie. After Jess posted the above message, I
contacted Stephen who did some investigating (or maybe he already had) and
discovered some American university student had forged Jess' origin address
and posted that message saying she withdrew -- a really mean thing to do.
Jess never "changed her mind" because she never REALLY withdrew her story.
Reposting the story for the awards was NOT a requirement to win. Just sorry
it took this long to find out what happened, Jess. Belated congratulations
to both you and Frankie. Cool that two UK residents took the top two awards
in that category. Stephen said he is changing the blurb on the web page
about which story won the award.