Use of pseudonyms

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Thomas & Karen Mitchell

unread,
May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
to
I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
not write under your real names?

I know that some of you are very young, and perhaps would
prefer that your families or friends not know that you write
fanfic. But that's not true for all of you. (OT: Aliki
Pomian just mentioned in her post an hour or so ago that she
was 8 when Voyager came out. ((Heavy sigh here)) I was in
college during TOS! However, back to the question at hand.)
And it can't be that you are all ashamed of your work,
because most of it is truly excellent.

I realize that some of you do use your real names -- at
least I assume so. I figure that Gabrielle Lawson's name,
for example, really *is* (gasp!) Gabrielle Lawson! :) But
for those of you who use a nom de cyberspace, would you be
so kind as to share your reasons? I've been going nuts
trying to figure this out!

Thanks,

Karen

Captain Kate

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
I use a pseudonym for the simple fact that I do a lot of my work on the
local academic network, on the university's hardware. Although my page isn't
on their server they are pretty funny about their employees using the
resources for certain things, and seeing as I have some NC17 content on my
pages I don't want to take any chances. Also, in certain professions you get
well known in cyberspace, and no matter how much of a healthy respect a lot
of my online friends have for Trek and fanfic writers, there are always
those who don't. I'd just rather not take any chances. I don't mind dishing
my details when people mail me, or we get chatting, but I see no point in
tempting fate.

And besides, it's a nice bit of escapism for me to call myself Captain
Kate!!

Mel


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Captain Kate
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Starship/1131/

Courage... if only one had that... then life might be liveable, in spite of
everything....
(Ibsen,Hedda Gabler)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thomas & Karen Mitchell <kg...@olympus.net> wrote in message
news:37465...@hoh.olympus.net...

zoinky

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to

Thomas & Karen Mitchell <kg...@olympus.net> wrote in article
<37465...@hoh.olympus.net>...


>> Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
> not write under your real names?
>

I'm one of those for whom young is a state of mind. I can remember where I
was when Kennedy was shot. I too saw TOS in first run. But like some of the
young people, none of my family knows I write this stuff. Okay my husband
knows, but he's it. There is something appealing and romantic, almost
rebellious about posting stories when no one knows who you are. Also
something very safe. Avid Trekdom is something most of my age group has
moved beyond. And in my neck of the woods is not something you discuss
openly.

During the day I'm a mild mannered retailer, but at night I don the cape,
gloves and pearls to become zoinky, an amatuer science fiction romance
writer. I enjoy writing these stories. I have no desire to write
commercially so I'm content to just hide behind a silly name and let none
of my family or friends be any the wiser.


Fizzbin

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
In article <37465...@hoh.olympus.net>,

"Thomas & Karen Mitchell" <kg...@olympus.net> wrote:
>
> Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
> not write under your real names?

Interesting question -- I'm looking forward to seeing other responses.

For myself, age is not a question -- I was a teenager when TOS ran it's
original episodes. And, although few of my RL circle know that I'm
writing this stuff, it wouldn't bother me if they did. They just don't
because it's not an interest they share with me.

My primary reason is the same as Captain Kate's -- I'm working through a
university server and it gets a bit picky about what flies through its
cyberspace.

Secondly, though perhaps more importantly, in RL I do research on some
very nasty netizens -- people who wouldn't hesitate to beat a Matt
Shepard to death or blow up a federal building. I've been tracked
before and I don't want them coming around here bothering any of us --
we're the kind of people who are high on their hit list and I'd never
forgive myself if they started eating bandwidth with their hate-filled
screed. There's always the possibility they could trace my pseudonym,
but it's unlikely and most of them are, mercifully, just too lazy or
clueless to bother.

Finally, I'm rather enjoying the ambiguity of a genderless nom de net.
There's a lot of permission granted in Entityville and I'm endlesly
fascinated by the assumptions that folks do and don't make about who or
what I might be. ;-D

--
Fizzbin of the Many Names
fiz...@my-dejanews.com
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd!" - Tom Lehrer


--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

thebe...@my-dejanews.com

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
In article <01bea45f$313a3820$8e3f1ed1@default>,
"zoinky" <kat...@flash.net> wrote:
>
>
> Thomas & Karen Mitchell <kg...@olympus.net> wrote in article
> <37465...@hoh.olympus.net>...

> >> Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
> > not write under your real names?
> >

Like it or not, there are a lot of people out there who consider ANYONE
who likes Trek more than just casually to be a freak. It's sad but
true. I use the pseudonym because if ANY of the people with whom I work
found out I write this stuff I would never hear the end of it.

Although I am fairly new to Trekdom AND fanfic, I enjoy writing it and
hope most will enjoy reading it. I have one friend (also a Trek fan)
who knows I write these things, but I don't let her read any of it. I'm
not comfortable enough with it yet to do that. Especially with the NC17
stuff I will be posting today! Yikes!

I too watched TOS occassionally when a child, but I never watched the
STNG until after seeing Insurrection. Patrick Stewart drew me in since
there's precious little out there (that's decent) one can watch with him
in it.

I think it's just easier for some of us 'mature' writers to disguise our
passion behind a false name and be happy with that. The internet
certainly encourages that behavior as well.

So, I hope this answers your question.

The Emu

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to

Karen Mitchell asked

> I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
> lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
> feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
> However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
> Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
> not write under your real names?

Lotsa reasons.

First and foremost, my name isn't *anywhere* on the
web. I don't want people I don't know in a medium I
have no control over having that knowledge of me.
Paranoid? No, I think it's good stranger danger.

It applies particularly in fanficdom. I used to run an
XF archive, and I once recieved three requests in as
many weeks for author's names to be removed
because their bosses had been wandering a little too
close to their corner of cyberspace or because a
reader had contacted them in RL. (True and scary
story.)

It doesn't matter whether one's current boss is fanfic
friendly or online or at least unconcerned. You don't
know how you'll feel about your next boss. This is a
hobby that's poorly regarded by society in general
and it's a dubious corner of copyright and you may
not write tasteful smut *now*, but I've seen a lot of
authors - who never thought they would - taking that
joyful slide.

I like to decide who on the net knows about RL me
and who in RL knows about my fanfic. I wouldn't
want it any other way. I recommend to as many
people as I can that they keep the worlds seperate.

Besides: it's fun having an online personality. I like
being a non-gendered over-sized bird.

8^-

--
The Emu's Feathers
X-Files and ST:VOY fanfiction
http://www.zip.com.au/~emu/genfic.html

MAC

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
I use my Mother's last name, which isn't mine as my last name.

I do this because it's my way of giving honor to the person who is
and always was the guiding force in my life.

My Mom died before I ever attempted to post, but she was my strongest
backer for whatever I chose to do in my life.

I use my middle name as my first name because it goes so
well with the last name.

MAC aka Anna Wilkins

Thomas & Karen Mitchell heeft geschreven in bericht
<37465...@hoh.olympus.net>...


>I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
>lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
>feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
>However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
>Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
>not write under your real names?
>

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
No biggie here.

You have some folks who choose pseudonyms to call attention to their works. I
am more inclined to read something by D Vader, Esq, than I am by Nelson Smith.
If Mr. Smith calls himself Darth Vader, its going to grab someone's attention
in a sea of stories that one cannot possibly read entirely.

Then there are those who are or plan to be professional writers. It's rather
rude to sit here and pillage Paramount's material, then turn around, find
oneself asking John Ordover's coworkers to buy a manuscript that has the same
name attached to it. Hence, names like Macedon and J Winter and so on. It
doesn't fool anybody, really, but it's a way of separating pro and fan work
when professional editors need all the excuses in the world to trim their
mountainous slush piles.

Then there are some who need a persona to get in the mood to write.

And there are those who wish to remain anonymous. Why? Why not?

Those are some of the explanantions. I'm sure there are others.

By the way, what kind of contrived pseudonym is Stephen Ratliff anyway? (Just
kidding!!!)

J Winter's alter ego

J. Juls

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
My kids use the Internet, and, while they're not old enough to read
newsgroups yet, Hoochie-Mama! I don't want them ever knowing that their
old mom posted that stuff. Also, the people I work with are certainly not
Trekkies; they're also very homophobic. Woo, I don't know what they'd
think of me. I guess I'm just chicken.

Julie

Kaki

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
For me, I don't want my last name attached just in case anyone who knows
me professionally decides to do a search on my name. It is pretty
probable as we get calls from people who searched my bosses name to get
to us all the time.

Would be embarrassing.

It's also why I don't post to the ng fom work!

Kathleen

SAMK

unread,
May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
to
My reason is slightly different. I'm more than old enough
to be here, and most people I know are well aware of
how far out there I am. However, the person I am in
RL isn't necessarily the person I want to be. Therefore,
I created a new person for the net, and give that person
the freedom to be.

And why not?

SAMK
sa...@inil.com

DragonGrrl

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
I have been warned that if one plans to professionally publish original
fiction, some editors and publishers might have a bias against fanfic
writers. Having said that, I know that some people who wrote fanfic here
have gone on to writing and selling their own material, although I don't
know how many of them used their real names.

Another thing that some people may want to be careful about in terms of
their reputation as writers is the fact that Star Trek fanfic is
technically not legal, and while there doen't seem to be any danger of
prosecution, it can still be a blemish on your record if people in the
writing business know what you used to do. Writers in some fanfic fields
don't have to worry about this one (the BBC, for example, officially
allows fans to write Doctor Who fanfic, provided nobody makes any money
off it), but Trek writers do.

I don't have any serious plans to become a professional writer of
fiction, but just to be on the safe side, I think I'll use a handle when
I write fanfic. Call me paranoid, but my belief is that the more
anonymous one can remain while on the internet, the better.

--D.G.

Laura Michelle

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
In article <37465...@hoh.olympus.net>,

"Thomas & Karen Mitchell" <kg...@olympus.net> wrote:

> I realize that some of you do use your real names -- at
> least I assume so. I figure that Gabrielle Lawson's name,
> for example, really *is* (gasp!) Gabrielle Lawson! :) But
> for those of you who use a nom de cyberspace, would you be
> so kind as to share your reasons? I've been going nuts
> trying to figure this out!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karen

I don't use a pseudonym for the several reasons. When I first used the
internet, seven years ago on Prodigy, real names were as a default
listed unless you changed them. In addition to that, I have belonged to
a forum for the past two and half years. On this mailing list, if you
didn't use your real name, or least share it with the list admin, the
whole list population would be up in arms and the person not willing to
share their real name would be generally forced to leave. Since then,
I've used my real name.

There are down sides to being that open with info. I've had a sister
who was cyber stalked? The guy knew her last name and her zip code. He
found out our phone number and called up to ask her out repeatedly even
though he lived cleat across the country. He wouldn't stop even when
asked by my parents. My sister, who goes by a pseudonym all the time
on-line also had another incident with some one. I can't remember the
details about it though.

Why do I still have my info up? For two reasons really. One reason is
that purging all my info on the internet would be immensly time
consuming. The second reason is I have people who I loose track of, and
they loose track of me because of various reasons. It is up largely so
we can track each other.

My sister uses her pseudonym to avoid cyber stalkers, remain unknown,
and because people don't question nick names. They are more likely to
(according to my sister) assume things based on the behavior of the
individual rather then on the name. It is similar to not posting how
old you are, posting under a pseudonym. You remain anon and people
judge you by your actions, rather then by age, sex or other info.

Hope that helps. :-)

--
Laura Michelle Hale -- lmic...@ptdreams.com
http://ptdreams.com/indexpt.html ---- lmhale1980 on AIM
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious. " & "Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it,
chances are you won't either." -- Some Laws of Murphy

Helsos

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
>Another thing that some people may want to be careful about in terms of
>their reputation as writers is the fact that Star Trek fanfic is
>technically not legal,

Unless you write fanfic for Strange New Worlds and get professionally
published...

Robin Lawrie

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
I don't use a net name. When I got online I did consider using one, but
decided not to. I post from my puter at home so don't have to worry about a
school or work overlord. As for using a nick to hide gender, being "Robin"
is kind of generic anyway, and if people really want to know, they find out
soon enough by reading my posts and stories. There's even pictures on my
website. As I don't use my married name, I don't have concerns over spousal
boss stress. As for work finding out what I write, well I'm pretty out about
my interests. Makes a good conversation starter at parties.

"Oh, so what do you do Robin?"

"Well in my spare time I write erotic stories about Star Trek characters
bonking. Do you want the URL?"

I haven't had any problems so far. Touch wood. I think though if I ever
wanted to go the professional route, *then* I might use a pseud. <shrug> I'm
not fussed though.

Robin


zoinky

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to

Robin Lawrie <rob...@s054.aone.net.au> wrote in article
<7i83pr$41f$1...@news.mel.aone.net.au>...


>>
> "Well in my spare time I write erotic stories about Star Trek characters
> bonking. Do you want the URL?"

Nice line Robin! If I ever decide to "out" myself I may steal it!

zoinky

KIRNEH

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to

[The dark screen comes to life in a burst of static.]

Pseudonym? What pseudonym?

Seriously though (or moderately so), my tera'ngan first name is
Henrik. So I reversed my name, capitalized the end, and assumed my Klingon
mantle (which came to me while I was on the original Prodigy back in
1991).
As far as "da laffin tlhIngan :> " goes, I have a rather ...
unusual ... sense of humor, ranging anywhere from early Bill Cosby to
George Carlin to Weird Al to Laura Jimenez, with Asimov, Douglas Adams,
Neil Gaiman etc thrown into the mix just to keep my work *interesting*. I
attempt (not always successfully) to put elements of humor into my work as
often as possible.
Any other questions? :>

--da laffin (and informative) tlhIngan :>

Greywolf the Wanderer

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
On Fri, 21 May 1999 23:38:47 -0700, "Thomas & Karen Mitchell"
<kg...@olympus.net> wrote:

>I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
>lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
>feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
>However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
>Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
>not write under your real names?

In my case it is a matter of economic survival. I am a contractor, in
a small town full of uptight redneck big-haired evangelical Baptists.
If the folks round here had the slightest idea that the notorious
Greywolf is ME, my business would dry up and blow away and probably
never recover. And yes, some of them are online, enough that I do not
wish to take the chance.

It is very beautiful here, and peaceful, good in many ways. But I
*must* keep my Netself separate from my mundane self. If one day I
can afford to move to a more enlightened area, I will happily do so.
In the meantime, Wolves gotta eat, ya know?

And at least I *do* have this very pleasant escape route from the
boredom and stress of mundania. Bless you all.

>I know that some of you are very young, and perhaps would
>prefer that your families or friends not know that you write
>fanfic. But that's not true for all of you. (OT: Aliki
>Pomian just mentioned in her post an hour or so ago that she
>was 8 when Voyager came out. ((Heavy sigh here)) I was in
>college during TOS! However, back to the question at hand.)
>And it can't be that you are all ashamed of your work,
>because most of it is truly excellent.

Not at all. I was ten when TOS had its debut; I grew up with these
guys. Spock almost certainly kept me out of jail as a cub; it was
only aspiring to the Way of Surak that kept me from breaking a few
very deserving necks during high school. ;-)> No, it is for economic
and mundane reasons only.

>I realize that some of you do use your real names -- at
>least I assume so. I figure that Gabrielle Lawson's name,
>for example, really *is* (gasp!) Gabrielle Lawson! :) But
>for those of you who use a nom de cyberspace, would you be
>so kind as to share your reasons? I've been going nuts
>trying to figure this out!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Karen

Not at all. It is an itriguing question, and I have found the various
answers most interesting! So here's my 2 slips of latinum...

Greywolf the Wanderer
<remove nospam from header, to email me, or cc me a reply -- since my
server misses most posts here>

mecu...@alumni.princeton.edu

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
In article <3747754F...@home.com>,

DragonGrrl <star-...@home.com> wrote:
> I have been warned that if one plans to professionally publish
original
> fiction, some editors and publishers might have a bias against fanfic
> writers. Having said that, I know that some people who wrote fanfic
here
> have gone on to writing and selling their own material, although I
don't
> know how many of them used their real names.

I was recently pawing through a collection of old slash zines and was
surprised to see stories by some very big sf/fantasy writers who are
not now associated with Star Trek. These people were writing under
their own names in a considerably more homophobic environment, and it
doesn't seem to have hurt them any. It's amusing to see how many of the
Pocket ST books have been written by slash or gen fanfic writers -- a
lot more than Ordover admits.

I use my RL name, and I'm a pro non-fiction writer. Part of it is plain
laziness: it seems a lot of trouble to have more than one identity. I
really like it that other people have netnames, especially the
entities. Somehow them being gender-free makes it easier for me to feel
free, too.

But part of it is that there's no such thing as a pro writer who is Too
Weird, as long as you meet deadlines. Especially if you write
sf/fantasy/horror -- look up Poppy Z. Brite, for example. Romance
writers may be under greater constraints -- but I somehow think a lot
of them are writing pseudonymously, too. Too much euphony is suspicious
to my ear.

For me, there is no such thing as Too Much Publicity. Stalking hasn't
been a problem -- but then I don't write het. There's something about
being a flagrantly married middle-aged slash writer mom that doesn't
exude sexual vulnerability to potential cyberstalkers. Knock wood.
Since I work for myself I don't have cow-orkers to terrify, and my
friends have know for *years* I'm a little strange.

Basicly, I have little to lose and potentially something (fans,
publicity, feedback) to gain, so I don't bother to have a netname. I
can see lots of reasons other people might need or want one, but I
don't really think "interfering with a pro career" is all that
realistic.

My latinum, of course.

Mary Ellen
Doctor Science, MA
- - - - - - - - -
Good Book of the Day:
"The History of the Breast," by Margaret Yalom

Stephen Ratliff

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
The Great Thomas & Karen Mitchell wrote:
|I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
|lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
|feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
|However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
|Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
|not write under your real names?

Hark, I preceive a new question for the Reader's Guide FAQ.

|I know that some of you are very young, and perhaps would
|prefer that your families or friends not know that you write
|fanfic. But that's not true for all of you. (OT: Aliki
|Pomian just mentioned in her post an hour or so ago that she
|was 8 when Voyager came out. ((Heavy sigh here)) I was in
|college during TOS! However, back to the question at hand.)
|And it can't be that you are all ashamed of your work,
|because most of it is truly excellent.
|

|I realize that some of you do use your real names -- at
|least I assume so. I figure that Gabrielle Lawson's name,
|for example, really *is* (gasp!) Gabrielle Lawson! :) But
|for those of you who use a nom de cyberspace, would you be
|so kind as to share your reasons? I've been going nuts
|trying to figure this out!

Well, I once considered using a nom de cyberspace, but I had become too
well known by then. Plus my sysadmim made it really hard to change that in
tin (the unix newsreader I've used for most of the last 5 years) I do know
some people who have used there real name and changed for one reason or
another.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I will be saving these responses after and
determining which of them were good enough fro the Reader's Guide FAQ. I
will contact you for permission.

Stephen
--
Stephen Ratliff FAQ Maintainer: http://www.runet.edu/~sratliff/FAQs
Index Maintainer: http://www.runet.edu/~sratliff/ascindex
Personal Works: http://www.runet.edu/~sratliff/works

Alt.StarTrek.Creative's Very Busy Man.

Stephen Ratliff

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to

Just save me from another fan-fic writer going under then letter J. It
seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry who writes fan-fic does so under the
letter J.

You know James, sending me on that slow boat to China was a bad idea. :)

Of course, now that you've revealed my evil plan to hide under the psedonym
Stephen Ratliff, I'll have to reveal my real name

It's
[No Carrier]

Jungle Kitty

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to
My reasons:

1. I don't want to be cyber-stalked. A recent emailer asked me to enter
into an erotic e-convo, and, when I refused, he accused me of being a
gay man. I found this entertaining, but can easily imagine it going
places I'd rather not contemplate.

2. My RL name is boring, and Jungle Kitty is more colorful. It just
seems to fit.

3. My RL name is genderless. I get very tired of being addressed as
"Mr." but haven't yet had business cards printed that say "Firstname
Lastname, Woman."

4. Some of my clients would probably be upset if they knew, esp. the one
that is currently my biggest client.

As to Robin's line about outing herself: I don't have to out myself. My
Sig Alien does it every chance he gets. <g> I just spent all day
yesterday with a bunch of guys who could barely contain their excitement
at meeting "the woman who writes smut!" BTW, they were very unhappy to
learn that I'm not making a living at it.

Me too, guys.
--
Jungle Kitty
http://www.accesscom.com/~jkitty

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I'm a Kirkologist, and I'm OK,
It's Kirk all night, and it's Kirk all day.
He wears gold shirts, he's got tight pants,
And women by the score.
He thrills his many shipmates
With EVEs galore.

Oh, I'm a Kirkologist, and I'm OK...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KIRNEH

unread,
May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to Jungle Kitty

On 23 May 1999, Jungle Kitty wrote:

> My reasons:
>
> 1. I don't want to be cyber-stalked.

<kidding>
"Dangit, Jim-- I'm a kitty-- not piece of celery!"
</kidding>

A recent emailer asked me to enter
> into an erotic e-convo, and, when I refused, he accused me of being a
> gay man. I found this entertaining, but can easily imagine it going
> places I'd rather not contemplate.

And if you *were* a gay man, you wouldn't tell us, because you wouldn't
want to disappoint those who admire you (incl. meself) , and bust up the
bubbles of those who have fantasies. Correct? :>

>
> 2. My RL name is boring, and Jungle Kitty is more colorful. It just
> seems to fit.

Hello, Boring-- I'm Henrik. Pleasedtameetcha. :>

>
> 3. My RL name is genderless. I get very tired of being addressed as
> "Mr." but haven't yet had business cards printed that say "Firstname
> Lastname, Woman."

Praps you should do that-- it might start a trend. :>

>
> 4. Some of my clients would probably be upset if they knew, esp. the one
> that is currently my biggest client.

<kidding>
Newt or Rush? :>
</kidding>

>
> As to Robin's line about outing herself: I don't have to out myself. My
> Sig Alien does it every chance he gets. <g> I just spent all day
> yesterday with a bunch of guys who could barely contain their excitement
> at meeting "the woman who writes smut!"

...and you *liked* it, too, n'est-ce pas? :>

BTW, they were very unhappy to
> learn that I'm not making a living at it.
>
> Me too, guys.

So write up a good'un and send it in to SNW 3 already! :>

--da laffin (and almost-old, as of 5/28) tlhIngan :>

rob...@s054.aone.net.au

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
Jungle Kitty <jki...@accesscom.com> wrote:
> My reasons:
>
> 1. I don't want to be cyber-stalked

Never had a sniff of this happen, unless I count my very first feedback
received after posting my very first treksmut all those years ago,
where a guy wanted me to pose nude for him. He was pleasant about it
though <g>.

> 2. My RL name is boring, and Jungle Kitty is more colorful. It just
> seems to fit.
>

Of course if I used my real full married name, it would suit my chosen
genre to a tee. People would think I was making it up. That's why its
only on the mortgage papers and THATS IT.

> 3. My RL name is genderless. I get very tired of being addressed as
> "Mr." but haven't yet had business cards printed that say "Firstname
> Lastname, Woman."
>

I had some people thinking I was a bloke when I started posting
treksmut. But then, I still get people thinking I'm a bloke when they
meet me in Real Life. A buzz cut, small tits, always jeans and an
attitude can do that. I could care less.

> I just spent all day
> yesterday with a bunch of guys who could barely contain their
excitement

> at meeting "the woman who writes smut!" BTW, they were very unhappy to


> learn that I'm not making a living at it.
>

Always happy to discuss smut with people. On occassion, it's been more
acceptable to be a smut writer than a Trek fan.

Robin

Fizzbin

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to rob...@s054.aone.net.au
In article <7iacpj$4r9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
rob...@s054.aone.net.au wrote:

> I had some people thinking I was a bloke when I started posting
> treksmut. But then, I still get people thinking I'm a bloke when they
> meet me in Real Life. A buzz cut, small tits, always jeans and an
> attitude can do that. I could care less.

ROFL! Today in a K-Mart, a small child, who had been staring at me for
quite some time, finally piped up, "Are you a girl or a boy?" Made me
proud! Nothin' like a little consciousness raisin' in the
formative years. <BEG>

--
Fizzbin


fiz...@my-dejanews.com
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd!" - Tom
Lehrer

DragonGrrl

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to


> I was recently pawing through a collection of old slash zines and was
> surprised to see stories by some very big sf/fantasy writers who are
> not now associated with Star Trek. These people were writing under
> their own names in a considerably more homophobic environment, and it
> doesn't seem to have hurt them any. It's amusing to see how many of the
> Pocket ST books have been written by slash or gen fanfic writers -- a
> lot more than Ordover admits.

That's good to know. Who were they, by the way? I know Jean Lorrah used
to write fanfic, but I actually didn't come onto the Trek fic scene
until I got the internet 4 years ago (I haven't been around long enough
to remember the heyday of printed fic-- I think I might have been born
in the middle of it).

Anyways-- it would be interesting to hear from some publishers and
editors, to hear their own personal opinions and prejudices about fanfic
writers (as in, if you got a manuscript from someone you knew was a
fanfic writer, would it affect your decision about publishing it?). It's
just something that's been suggested to me, by a friend who has been
writing fanfic longer than I have and who is trying to break into the
professional field right now.

As for Strange New Worlds-- it might be a breakthrough point to connect
fic writers with the professional world, or it might just be another
thing for other editors and publishers to scoff at. Who knows yet. We
should be feeling any repercussions very soon, if they exist.

The other thing about the pseudonyms is, I tend to use them all the time
on the internet anyways, for writing, chatting, newsgrouping, gaming, or
anything else. It's just a matter of security-- I have met people online
who live in my own city that I wouldn't particularly care to meet in
real life. Occasionally I forget to change my email identity to read
"DragonGrrl" and my real name pops up, but I do try to avoid using it.

--D.G.

DragonGrrl

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to

Fizzbin wrote:
>
> In article <7iacpj$4r9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> rob...@s054.aone.net.au wrote:
>
> > I had some people thinking I was a bloke when I started posting
> > treksmut. But then, I still get people thinking I'm a bloke when they
> > meet me in Real Life. A buzz cut, small tits, always jeans and an
> > attitude can do that. I could care less.
>
> ROFL! Today in a K-Mart, a small child, who had been staring at me for
> quite some time, finally piped up, "Are you a girl or a boy?" Made me
> proud! Nothin' like a little consciousness raisin' in the
> formative years. <BEG>

<off-topic and commiserating>

That happened to me *twice* in my karate school. Once I was asked by a
twelve-year-old if I was Derek. The other time I found out that a guy my
own age (17 at the time) had been thinking I was male for the week and a
half we had been training together. He found out when an instructor
referred to me as 'she' when we were being taught a new hold. :) I never
saw him again after that...

The gi (karate uniform) can apparently hide certain things very well--
and said 'things' are large enough that if I'm wearing anything else
(aside from a parka and snowpants), it's very obvious that I'm female.
;) But I tend to wear my hair short, and I don't wear makeup, and my
first name (while not gender-unspecific) sounds very much like a common
male name.

--D.G.

Trillseekr

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
<kg...@olympus.net> writes:

>Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
>not write under your real names?
>
>

I never give out my real name online! <paranoia expert> People have been
stalked for less. I mean, look at where we're posting? A Trekkie(let's argue
about the name later) newsgroup. What if somebody who hates Trekkies comes
here? They see a real name, maybe they hate Trekkies enough to hunt down that
name... There's also the fact that a lot of us write gay and lesbian fiction
for the Trek characters, and you think that doesn't get some people inflamed?
It does! So believe me, anonymity is the way to go. I can't believe anybody
DOES use their real name...I truly advise y'all not to do that. Make up
something else.

Trilly-collector of subtext and smarm

Trillseekr

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
<e...@zip.com.au> writes:

>I like to decide who on the net knows about RL me
>and who in RL knows about my fanfic. I wouldn't
>want it any other way. I recommend to as many
>people as I can that they keep the worlds seperate.

This is exactly the same thing I do, and I second the recommendation.


<lmic...@ptdreams.com> writes:

> It is similar to not posting how old you are, posting under a pseudonym.
>You remain anon and people
>judge you by your actions, rather then by age, sex or other info.
>
>

That's something we strive for in real life, but can only get here. <g> In
reality it's very hard to avoid preconceptions.

Jeffrey Harlan

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
In article <19990524061134...@ngol08.aol.com>,
> Trilly-collector of subtext and smarm
>

Amen! For those and many other reasons, I don't use my (legal) name
either. I simply use my mother's maiden name as a pseudonym. It's a
heckuvalot closer to who I really am, anyhow, but that has more to do
with the distance between myself and my father following the divorce and
is best not gone into here.

But I digress.....

-- Jeffrey Harlan
"Was it the dream where you're standing on a
pyramid in sort of sun god robes, with a thousand
naked women screaming and throwing little pickles
at you?" (from REAL GENIUS)

Aleph Press

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
Trillseekr (trill...@aol.comsnlybs) wrote:

: I never give out my real name online! <paranoia expert> People have been


: stalked for less. I mean, look at where we're posting? A Trekkie(let's argue
: about the name later) newsgroup. What if somebody who hates Trekkies comes
: here? They see a real name, maybe they hate Trekkies enough to hunt down that
: name... There's also the fact that a lot of us write gay and lesbian fiction
: for the Trek characters, and you think that doesn't get some people inflamed?
: It does! So believe me, anonymity is the way to go. I can't believe anybody
: DOES use their real name...I truly advise y'all not to do that. Make up
: something else.

Naah.

My name is my eidolon, my self-definition. I have a unique name-- when I
did a search on the MCI database of adults in the US, which covered just
about everybody, there were only 4 people named Alara, and therefore
there can be no one else named Alara Rogers-- unless one of my relatives
takes it into his head to name his daughter after me, in which case I'll
just have to shoot him and then insist she get called by her middle name. :-)

I am proud of my name, desperate for attention, entirely too bluntly
honest a person to keep track of a separate identity when most of my
social life is based around people I've met on the net, and hungry for
fame. I don't consider the risk of being cyberstalked great enough to be
worth the inconvenience of hiding my identity, and I simply don't give
enough of a damn about my co-workers' opinions of me, now or ever. If
someone fires me for being a Star Trek fan, their loss-- I'm underpaid
and overqualified, so i'll get a better job.

And most of my experience with stalkers has come from people that I or a
friend met in real life. As long as you have a listed phone number and
you live in a state where the Department of Motor Vehicles will give out
your driver's license info to anyone who asks, you're not safe from
stalking. I have a large dog and a roommate into guns, so I feel as if
putting my name on the Net is hardly a risk.

That being said, I fully understand and support the decision of those who
*do* choose to go anonymous. But I do not believe it is really all that
unsafe a decision to use your real name.

--
Be good, servile little citizen-employee, and pay your taxes so the rich
don't have to.
--Zepp Weasel

Alara Rogers, Aleph Press
al...@netcom.com

All Aleph Press stories are at http://alara.dreamhost.com .


ORDOVER

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
>Then there are those who are or plan to be professional writers. It's rather
>rude to sit here and pillage Paramount's material, then turn around, find
>oneself asking John Ordover's coworkers to buy a manuscript that has the same
>name attached to it. Hence, names like Macedon and J Winter and so on. It
>doesn't fool anybody, really, but it's a way of separating pro and fan work
>when professional editors need all the excuses in the world to trim their
>mountainous slush piles

John Ordover here (I occassionally check usenet for my name, so fans can ask me
questions, and I found this thread). Since I don't read fan fiction, and
neither does anyone in our office, we have no idea who the fan fiction authors
are and don't care. It's not a strike against you (check out the author's
names in the Strange New Worlds I and II volumes) nor for you. It just doesn't
make a difference.

Thought you should know.

John Ordover
Executive Editor
Star Trek Fiction
Pocket Books

For more Trek Book Info:
www.startrekbooks.com

Arachnethe2

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to

To throw some latinum into this disscusion,

I don't see the name, I'm using for my stories as a pseudonym, I'm
seeing it more like a nickname. I'm working hard the whole week (who
doesn't!),
but in the opposite to the other people, asc and ascem are at now, the
only
things, which are something like my private life. I come at home and at
10 p.m. I boot the notebook, put on my cyber cap with my nickname and
for me, the party can begin.

I don't have any reasons to hide. I don't have to take a new identity.
Entering the cyberspace I remain the same. I'm single, I'm paying my
own internet access and my parents and my brother know, what I'm
writing. Of course I have to listen to the comments: weird, yet harmless,
and...
you can vaste your talent (and your eyes) for something more usefull, but
I can
live with that. Besides, here I have the unique occation to maintain my
english

Pseudonyms and nicknames are common in internet-- this has been the
only reason for naming myself Arachne, and an another Arachnae on ascem,
which asked me to modiffy my name. So, I became the second one.
And perhaps the fact, that you would have some difficoulties to remember
my real name.

Arachnethe2


Raku2u

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
When I first lurked and read feedback on others' stories, it seemed to me that
the feedback was often conditioned by the gender of the author of the story,
and maybe also that of the feeder-backer.

So when it came time to post my own stuff, I thought I'd use a gender-free
name.

Feedback on my own stories has been interesting. I've been complimented for
being a man who really has a grip on things masculine (as it were). I've been
complimented for being a woman who really has grip on things feminine.

As Spock would say, Fascinating.

Oh yeah, and for the reasons everyone else mentions, too. My colleagues would
have heart attacks if they read half the stuff I've posted, heh heh.

raku

-----
"Look! There's Barbie!" --a young friend on seeing Yeoman Rand for the first
time

"The Learning Curve," hypertext TOS story, now online at
http://members.aol.com/U2ukar
and through http://members.aol.com/Raku2u
-----

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
>John Ordover here (I occassionally check usenet for my name,>>

Hey! Me, too! Of course, I think I'm more narcissistic (and pretentious, as
shown by use of a really big word I can't spell. <G>)

> so fans can ask
>me
>questions, and I found this thread). Since I don't read fan fiction, and
>neither does anyone in our office, we have no idea who the fan fiction
>authors
>are and don't care.

Good point.

My point, though, was, I love writing this stuff, yet I also plan to write
professionally. Since fanfic is a bit ticklish, it seems kind of rude to slap
the same name on it as I would a manuscript for sale to a publishing house.
'Sides, folks here have gotten to know me as J, despite Stephen Ratliff's
attempts to reveal me as Harry(?! Who's Harry?). (Like we don't know who you
really are, Mr. Clancy. Go on. Tell us how Marissa is really Jack Ryan in the
guise of a 14-year-old girl on a starship. Tell us!)

Signed,

Ira Behr

(Just kidding, John!)
J Winter,
Backup FAQ Maintainer
Alliance author
Troll stalker
SPAM slayer
Subversive element of the radical centrist movement

Stephen Ratliff

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
The Great JWinterCNA wrote:
|>John Ordover here (I occassionally check usenet for my name,>>
|
|Hey! Me, too! Of course, I think I'm more narcissistic (and pretentious, as
|shown by use of a really big word I can't spell. <G>)
|
|> so fans can ask
|>me
|>questions, and I found this thread). Since I don't read fan fiction, and
|>neither does anyone in our office, we have no idea who the fan fiction
|>authors
|>are and don't care.
|
|Good point.
|
|My point, though, was, I love writing this stuff, yet I also plan to write
|professionally. Since fanfic is a bit ticklish, it seems kind of rude to slap
|the same name on it as I would a manuscript for sale to a publishing house.

I have to agree some what with James's remark, but for me, it's a moot
point. And Ordover dispite not reading fan fiction, having read some of
the debates that have resulted as a result of some of your visits to ASC, I
have to believe that some of our residents names are know to you. You
might not know if or what they wrote, and certainly haven't read their
fan-fiction, but if you can tell me you wouldn't reconize, say, Randy
Landers (To name the person you replied to most often during last summer's
little debates on fan fiction) as some one you encountered on USENET, if
not ASC, I have to wonder how that debate last year occured.

|'Sides, folks here have gotten to know me as J, despite Stephen Ratliff's
|attempts to reveal me as Harry(?! Who's Harry?). (Like we don't know who you
|really are, Mr. Clancy. Go on. Tell us how Marissa is really Jack Ryan in the
|guise of a 14-year-old girl on a starship. Tell us!)

Mr Winter, as you may be aware, you are the one who is suppose to be hot
under the collar. And please, I've had enough of that debate. We all know
that I'm really the reincarnation of C.S. Forrester. :-)

You know, sometimes I wonder why I hired James Winter, but then I remember
that he works for free and is willing to travel. Hey James, how was the
Gamma Quadrant?

Dina

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
The Emu wrote:

> First and foremost, my name isn't *anywhere* on the
> web. I don't want people I don't know in a medium I
> have no control over having that knowledge of me.
> Paranoid? No, I think it's good stranger danger.

I don't mind people using pseudonyms and understand the reasons for
them. Nor will I question for a "real" name when I'm notorious for
writing under a pseudonym within a pseudonym. <g>

Dina

Dina

unread,
May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to
Stephen Ratliff wrote:

> Just save me from another fan-fic writer going under then letter J. It
> seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry who writes fan-fic does so under the
> letter J.

Oh yeah, save me from writers going under the name of 'Red'. ;-) Bad
enough there's a Red Skye, Redshoes, and Redina. Next thing you know it
there will be a Red Squad on ASC.


Dina

Sasscat Bu-to-y

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
SAMK <sa...@inil.com> wrote:

> My reason is slightly different. I'm more than old enough
> to be here, and most people I know are well aware of
> how far out there I am. However, the person I am in
> RL isn't necessarily the person I want to be. Therefore,
> I created a new person for the net, and give that person
> the freedom to be.

I think this is the closest to how I feel from all the responses I've
seen. Considering that I only know of three New Zealanders on ASC, and
one of them is my sister (the other in the other end of the country),
I'm not too worried about being stalked. :)

My families and friends all know I write fanfic. Most of them serve as
my sounding boards - even my little brother, notorious in our family for
being the only one to hate Trek, has given me suggestions. And I seem
to have gotten into the habit of sending prospective web design clients
to Particle 7even to look at my website work... and even more amazingly,
none of them have changed their minds about working with me.

But like SAMK says, "The person I am in RL isn't necessarily the person
I want to be." I like Sasscat. She's sassy and feline and not afraid
of anything. Most of my family and closest friends even call me Sasscat
now... so is it still a pseudonym, or just a nickname? Hmm... Bad TV
special: "When Good Pseudonyms Go Bad". (Sorry; we have an
overabundance of bad TV in NZ at the moment. Still waiting for Voyager
to return... sigh...)

Okay, does that answer the question?


Sasscat

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
>And please, I've had enough of that debate. We all know
>that I'm really the reincarnation of C.S. Forrester. :-)

Actually, I saw Stephen this weekend in the movie Trekkies. I had no clue that
was really a middle-aged housewife from Illinois whose cat is named "Miles" and
writes smutty stories about Picard visiting Pakled bath houses.

Signed,
Steve King,
Bangor, ME

>Hey James, how was the
>Gamma Quadrant?

Stephen, I'm hurt. And after I got you out of the Isaac Hayes lookalike
contest in the ASC Awards Show. No Letterman post Awards party for you, my
friend.

And you can just give back those Home Depot gift certificates, too!

(Hey, does anybody remember what I was supposed to do with twenty feet of
garden hose, a weed whacker, and two gallons of off-white latex paint. And has
anybody seen my captain character since last night? I've got a whole crew, two
guest stars, and some annoying character whom I promise to kill off waiting.)

J

mecu...@alumni.princeton.edu

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
In article <alephFC...@netcom.com>,

al...@netcom.com (Aleph Press) wrote:
> I am proud of my name, desperate for attention, entirely too bluntly
> honest a person to keep track of a separate identity when most of my
> social life is based around people I've met on the net, and hungry for
> fame.

This is why Alara has semi-pro status. Not just talent
(and she could probably give away buckets) but persistence
and drive.

As I said before, for a pro writer *in print* there is basicly
no such thing as too much publicity. Any published writer has
a risk of stalkers. Obvious females who write het smut or maybe
even romance and who don't intend to write similar material as
a pro might have security issues to consider, but otherwise . . .
good writing will not hurt your resume.

I emphasize "in print" because it's my understanding that the
situation is considerably different for screenwriters (TV or
movie). In pictureland, the writer is at the bottom of the food
chain, just one contributor to a highly collaborative process,
and the "comfort factor" (i.e. homophobia, sexism, racism, nepotism,
you-name-it-ism) for the higher-ups has to be considered.

Nonetheless, part of me wishes I could be a mysterious,
devilishly attractive entity -- a combination of Nijinsky,
Dietrich, and whosis from "The Crying Game". But ya can't
have everything . . .

Mary Ellen
Doctor Science, MA
- - - - - - - - -
Good Book of the Day:

"Huckleberry Finn," by Mark Twain

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to

Hey! First off, my real name's not Dick! (Though I've been called that a
lot.) And I was going to start calling myself the Red Baron of Trekfic!
thanks for ruining it!

Signed,

The author of "Primary Colors",
aka

Calicia

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
Well, this is a fascinating discussion. Really, I mean it. Personally, I
use a pseudonym for a lot of reasons, most of which have been posted by
other people. Originally, when I was a timid little thing first dipping
my toes into Net communities, I was so insecure that I didn't want
anyone I met online to know who I really was, so I played around with my
RL name and initials for a name to hide behind. I'm a lot more confident
going into new Net communities now, but I've kept my pseudonym because
I've found that having a 'mask' is very liberating, I happily say what I
like (but I *do* try not to offend anyone), and I feel comfortable with
it as a name to use when I chat or post. Also, I am still rather shy in
RL, very few people know I write fanfic and I'd like to keep it that
way. The people who know are supportive of me, but I know not all my
friends/family would be (I'm the only Trekker). And yeah, stalking is a
bit of an issue for me, too. My best friend's sister was contacted in RL
by someone she'd chatted to, who wanted to meet her. She was pretty
freaked by that.


--
Calicia

--Ever stop to think and forget to start again?--

Gamin Davis

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
"Greywolf the Wanderer" greywol...@snowcrest.net wrote in
<37484424....@news.snowcrest.net>:
>In my case it is a matter of economic survival. I am a
contractor, in
>a small town full of uptight redneck big-haired evangelical
Baptists.

Ah, you sound like you're in the same area of the country as
I am. For some reason, I thought you were kidding when you
mentioned elsewhere that you were from the South (I guess I
thought you were saying your *online persona* was from the South.)
Well, hello from a fellow Southern ST fan who also likes Kirk and
Spock. :^)

>>fanfic. But that's not true for all of you. (OT: Aliki
>>Pomian just mentioned in her post an hour or so ago that she
>>was 8 when Voyager came out. ((Heavy sigh here)) I was in
>>college during TOS! However, back to the question at hand.)

Geez, and *I've* been feeling old compared to some people on
this NG. (Um, no age insult intended there--I'm just surprised--
but I can empathize with the feeling.)I was 7-8 when TOS first
came out, so this statement makes me feel much younger.

>Not at all. I was ten when TOS had its debut; I grew up with

Wait a minute--did I misinterpret something? I thought you
said above that you were in college at that time?
Gamin, apparently up too late


Laura Jacquez Valentine

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to

> From: Dina <r.le...@usa.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative
> Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 22:19:56 -0400
> Organization: Alt.StarTrek.Creative+ Fiction Archive

>
> Stephen Ratliff wrote:
>
> > Just save me from another fan-fic writer going under then letter J. It
> > seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry who writes fan-fic does so under the
> > letter J.
>
> Oh yeah, save me from writers going under the name of 'Red'. ;-) Bad
> enough there's a Red Skye, Redshoes, and Redina. Next thing you know it
> there will be a Red Squad on ASC.
>
>
> Dina

One of my ex-boyfriends (and all his friends) call me "Red".

But don't worry. I won't use it.

--laura


Laura Taylor

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:

>
> > From: Dina <r.le...@usa.net>
> > Oh yeah, save me from writers going under the name of 'Red'. ;-) Bad
> > enough there's a Red Skye, Redshoes, and Redina. Next thing you know it
> > there will be a Red Squad on ASC.
> >
> >
> > Dina
>
> One of my ex-boyfriends (and all his friends) call me "Red".
>
> But don't worry. I won't use it.

Of course not. You (we) are too busy confusing everyone with our *real*
names :-)

(another) Laura, who has also been known to go by 'Red' at various times
in her life

Laura Jacquez Valentine

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to

From: Laura Taylor <dre...@roanoke.infi.net>

> Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:
> >
> > One of my ex-boyfriends (and all his friends) call me "Red".
> >
> > But don't worry. I won't use it.
>
> Of course not. You (we) are too busy confusing everyone with our *real*
> names :-)
>
> (another) Laura, who has also been known to go by 'Red' at various times
> in her life

Of course! We must not give up our committment to obfuscation!!

--laura


Unzadi

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
>I personally like the letters L and A. :)
>
>

I espescially like the letter A

Anna
Friends don't let friends write bad fanfic!

Chamber of the Warrior Queen
http://members.aol.com/unzadi


Stephen Ratliff

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
The Great JWinterCNA wrote:
|>And please, I've had enough of that debate. We all know
|>that I'm really the reincarnation of C.S. Forrester. :-)
|
|Actually, I saw Stephen this weekend in the movie Trekkies. I had no clue that
|was really a middle-aged housewife from Illinois whose cat is named "Miles" and
|writes smutty stories about Picard visiting Pakled bath houses.

James... my mom is a midaged housewife from Ohio whose last bird was named
Smiley and writes long letters about visiting Premetovc, a guest house in
Log, Slovenia.

Now, you know darn well that I'm really a renowned Professor of Divinity
who writes fairytales.

|Signed,
|Steve King,
|Bangor, ME
|
|>Hey James, how was the
|>Gamma Quadrant?
|
|Stephen, I'm hurt. And after I got you out of the Isaac Hayes lookalike
|contest in the ASC Awards Show. No Letterman post Awards party for you, my
|friend.

Hey, I send you on a romanctic cruise with Mrs. Winter in the Gamma
Quardant, arrange for someone to cover your job, and get you a bonus, and
you do that?

|And you can just give back those Home Depot gift certificates, too!

I gave them to the Constable, I had no need of them.

|(Hey, does anybody remember what I was supposed to do with twenty feet of
|garden hose, a weed whacker, and two gallons of off-white latex paint. And has
|anybody seen my captain character since last night? I've got a whole crew, two
|guest stars, and some annoying character whom I promise to kill off waiting.)

I just saw TJ Durant with Brant and Marrissa. They were carrying three
pails, a bag of cement, some hot tar, and a bag of feathers. Should we be
worried?

Thomas & Karen Mitchell

unread,
May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
to
Yes, that's right. I was the one who said I was in college
during TOS. Gamin was replying to Greywolf who was replying
to me, and she quoted both of us.

Karen


Calicia <cali...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:7ifuq4$3a9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <8DD12594Farki...@news.alltel.net>,


> Gamin Davis <arkiet...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > Wait a minute--did I misinterpret something? I
thought you
> > said above that you were in college at that time?
> > Gamin, apparently up too late
>

> Yeah, up too late :-) You were replying to two different
people. I think
> it was Karen? who said she was at college during TOS, and
Greywolf said
> he was 10 (I think) Stare into my eyes Gamin....you are
getting
> sleeeeepy....

Calicia

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to

Henry & Red

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to

Dina wrote in message <374A08...@usa.net>...

>Stephen Ratliff wrote:
>
>> Just save me from another fan-fic writer going under then letter J. It
>> seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry who writes fan-fic does so under the
>> letter J.
>
>Oh yeah, save me from writers going under the name of 'Red'. ;-) Bad
>enough there's a Red Skye, Redshoes, and Redina. Next thing you know it
>there will be a Red Squad on ASC.
>
>
>Dina

You got a problem with Red... You know... That makes me see Red.


Red


Henry & Red

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to
<snippage of interesting responses>

Pseudonyms and why we use them.

Well I got onto the net in 94, and at the urging of the BHM (tm)
who gave me access to the net, I used what has been my pen
name for many years, before I even discovered the net.
I have two sisters, neither of who at this time go by the name
that they were born with, they chose to change their names
legally. I intend to do so too - but unlike them I'm not going to
change it to my mothers maiden name, to show that I favour
her over my father.
I learned early in my net experience, that it was a good thing
to use a pen name. I was sent a virus on a disk that trashed
the BHM's computer, via a post office box addy that I gave out
regarding a writers guide I had written.
The person who sent it also threatened me with legal action,
called me a theif, etc, etc... for asking people to pay for said
guide which *I* wrote, even though I was asking it to cover
costs incured. I'm sure if he'd known my real name, he would
have gone forward with his threats. And my legal advice was
to sue the pants off the man for harrassment, libel and
defamation.
I sent the guide to Pocket Books for consideration before
Ordover took over, it was a legitmate writing excersize for
my freelance journalism/writers course.
I'd rather not be harrased, or have my details passed onto
Paraborg by some extremely mentally unstable Trek fan
who belives it's his duty to protect the franchise again.

Aside from that. I write adult fiction, which may or may
not contain erotica. I have been mistaken for a guy, which
I'm not, refered to as he, and Henry, often, Henry is the
BHM and supplier of internet services - not moi.
I am also someone who beleives in chasity before marriage,
not out of some religious or moral base, but for two reasons.
As my father put it, it is the greatest gift you can give your
spouse, and as my sister has proved, most men (not all)
think if they can sleep with you before marriage, you're not
worth marriage. The whore and Madonna thing...
I would rather not have people reading my work and deciding
as a result that it means that I am a sexually experienced person
that they would like to become more intimately acquainted with.
I have had at least one male friend who found out about my
writing and read some, and formed a completely erroneous
opinon about me as a result.
But as I tell the BHM, If you don't think I'm good enough to
marry, I don't think you're good enough to have sex with. Yet
people who read my R rated stuff, might think differently.
I do it for security and I have been shown why doing
so was a wise descion.

Red

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to
>I just saw TJ Durant with Brant and Marrissa. They were carrying three
>pails, a bag of cement, some hot tar, and a bag of feathers. Should we be
>worried?

Durant, Brandt, and Uhura. I'd accept that.

Durant, Brandt, and Torres. I'd probably kick TJ out and take his place.

But Durant, Brandt, and Marissa?

That's it! You have gone too far! I'm bringing back Nelson, and Bobo's coming
with him. Hope you like off-key Asia tunes, laughing boy, 'cause all you're
going to hear for the next month is a not-too-intelligent chimp bellowing "Heat
of the Moment" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" at the top of his lungs!!!

This is my final warning.

J

(C'mon. everyone! Feel the love!)

Jungle Kitty

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to
Stephen Ratliff wrote:

> Mr. Winter. I'm worried because those three are together, and I think you
> should be too. I mean We have Brandt, who manages to carry on a long term
> relationship with Kirk. Then there is Marrissa, Captain at 19. And of
> course, you know your own character. Now tell me, whould you be worried if
> you spotted them at the Character Revenge Bar with that equipment?
>
> Stephen,
> who notes it's been a year since the last Revenge Fic.

I'm already terrified. I'd say all three of them probably have good
reason to want to meet their creators in a dark alley.
--
Jungle Kitty
http://www.accesscom.com/~jkitty

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I'm a Kirkologist, and I'm OK,
It's Kirk all night, and it's Kirk all day.
He wears gold shirts, he's got tight pants,
And women by the score.
He thrills his many shipmates
With EVEs galore.

Oh, I'm a Kirkologist, and I'm OK...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Jungle Kitty

unread,
May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
to
JWinterCNA wrote:

> (Hey, does anybody remember what I was supposed to do with twenty feet of
> garden hose, a weed whacker, and two gallons of off-white latex paint. And has
> anybody seen my captain character since last night?

He went home with my captain character. And another certain canonical
captain character is gunning for both of them. <g>

Stephen Ratliff

unread,
May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
to

Mr. Winter. I'm worried because those three are together, and I think you


should be too. I mean We have Brandt, who manages to carry on a long term
relationship with Kirk. Then there is Marrissa, Captain at 19. And of
course, you know your own character. Now tell me, whould you be worried if
you spotted them at the Character Revenge Bar with that equipment?

Stephen,
who notes it's been a year since the last Revenge Fic.

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
to
>Mr. Winter. I'm worried because those three are together, and I think you
>should be too.

I have nothing to worry about. It is a proven fact that he who supplies the
Home Depot Gift Certificates is considered royalty.

Oh. Wait.

TJ hates all that royalty crap.

Uh oh.

Former Alliance author and current fugitive,

J

JWinterCNA

unread,
May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
to
>I'm already terrified. I'd say all three of them probably have good
>reason to want to meet their creators in a dark alley.

Alright! Alright! I'll kill off the admiral and marry TJ off to T'Paar. Now,
are all of you happy? Ruin the 7-year plan?

Besides, all I did was break his...

Yeah, I guess I'd be a little pent up about someone breaking my neck for
dramatic potential, keeping me at arm's length from the woman of my dreams, and
sending me on a trip to a backwater world on a freighter so decrepit that it
makes the Millennium Falcon look like the Titanic before the iceberg (sans
Leonardo. I DO NOT WRITE LEONARDO STORIES.)

(And anyway, I'm not leaving via any dark alleys.)

Laura Jacquez Valentine

unread,
May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
to

Actually, on this whole thread, I'm thinking of changing the names on
all my fanfic to psuedonyms. Haven't decided yet. Any thoughts on
that, guys?

--laura


KIRNEH

unread,
May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
to Laura Jacquez Valentine

OK, but remember-- you asked for this... :>

<soapbox>

Never be afraid to own up to your own creations. If use of a nym
is *absolutely* necessary, then I'd suggest *not* writing a given piece.
A nym, in my view, is only part of you as long as you are comfortable with
it (as I am, being da laffin tlhIngan). If you are *forced* by outside
influence to assume the mantle of someone you created, then you become
entrapped within that persona, and lose the freedom to do what you want
(or, as Peter Criss of KISS once said, "I felt like all that was left of
me [when I left KISS in 1980] was a cat's face with dollar signs in the
eyes".). Didn't Ziggy Stardust retire when David Bowie got tired of him?

The main purpose of fanfic is to have *fun* while playing in the
sandbox. If you worry over what others say, especially those who dislike
your efforts, your work will suffer no matter which name you choose, and
the fun will be *gone*. Do what *you* feel is right, Laura. *Nobody* has
the right to decide but you. :>

Point is, don't let the nym *or* the expectations of others force
you to do something you don't wanna do. What do *you* feel most
comfortable doing? :>


--da laffin (and occasionally Henrik Harbin) tlhIngan, turning 17
twice on the 28th :>


Pamela

unread,
May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
to

Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote in message ...

>
>Actually, on this whole thread, I'm thinking of changing the names on
>all my fanfic to psuedonyms. Haven't decided yet. Any thoughts on
>that, guys?
>
>--laura
>

Psuedonyms, for me, have a romantic ring to them. I must confess to
wanting one, just because. But my creativity lies in other areas, not
with words, so I'm not articulate enough to come up with something
that I feel would suite me.

If you feel strongly about it, go for it. As long as it doesn't
interfere with the release of the next chapter of DRV!! <g>

Just me,
Pam

Jazz Man

unread,
May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
to
In article <37465...@hoh.olympus.net>, Thomas & Karen Mitchell
<kg...@olympus.net> writes
>I am an avid reader of ASC, but not an author. I have been
>lurking here for a couple of years, and giving authors
>feedback by e-mail, but I have never posted before.
>However, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I had to ask:
>Why do so many of you use pseudonyms in your writing??? Why
>not write under your real names?

I use a pseudonym for several reasons.

One, it gives you a different persona. You don't have expectations to
live up to if people know who you are. Also if anyone I know were to
search my name they wouldn't find my fic. Considering I've written some
slash this might not be a good idea.

Secondly, I find it easier to have an address I can access anywhere. If
your going to have a new address why not have a new identity?

My choice of name comes from a radio play I did at school. Jazz was a
gay drug dealer from Glasgow. I liked the character a lot but he was
cut out. Definatly not me, I'm not from Glasgow or a drug dealer. Nor
male either.

How this helps answer you question.
--
Jazz Man

Kaki

unread,
May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
to
Just don't hide it from us!

J. Juls

unread,
May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99