NEW: but for the grace of god... [R] TNG; Data, Lore; Chapter 6/8

mlo...@ic.sunysb.edu

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

RATING: R, for adult themes, profanity (Chapter 3: NC-17, for sex and
violence)

DISCLAIMER:
These characters, their ship, and their universe belong lock, stock and
barrel to PARAMOUNT-VIACOM. I am bending them to my will for fun only,
not profit (unless you consider the release of writer's angst to be
profit.)

Please see intro for the rest of the stuff.

Please keep headers intact.
*****

but for the grace of god...
by Melinda Loges

Chapter Six: My Brother's Keeper

'We're standing alone inside the night
We listen the wind is calling
To the danger zone beyond the light
And suddenly we are falling

But there ain't no stopping us now
Heaven and earth couldn't hold me back tonight

It's just a machine inside of my head
But now all the wheels are turning
I think of the words we never said
And deep in my heart it's burning

But there ain't no stopping us now
We're gonna make it somehow you wait tonight
And we're waiting for the light'

"Into the Fire"
Dare

Data strode into the shuttlebay, and caught the edge of the Deck Officer's
shoulder in his grasp, just as she had started to turn. He found the
nerve and applied a quick pressure, catching her in his arms as she
collapsed. He checked her pulse quickly and then dragged her body out of
sight.

He went back to the console, and disengaged the main computer's link to
one of the shuttles. He took a breath, pacing himself. Transporting down
was a risk. His timing had to be exact, or the energy cycle would be
detected on the bridge.

He stepped into the shuttle, entered the coordinates into the emergency
transporter system, and prepared to activate the beam. His eyes closed,
he counted the seconds, entirely tuned to his internal chronometer. In
close parking orbit, routine sensor diagnostics were performed every six
hours. He would only have a window of a few seconds, but if he timed it
right, he could make it out undetected, with no one knowing he had ever
left. Until he was beyond their reach.

The moment came and he pressed the controls. He materialized in a
deserted maintenance closet on the far side of the compound. After he
looked around him, he took out a tricorder and ran a sensor scan. His
lips twitched in a half-smile. True to the posted duty-roster, there was
no one in the immediate sections.

For a brief moment, he wondered if he had transported safely. Then he
abruptly pushed the worry from his thoughts. *There is no going back now.
So push forward.*

Brandishing the words within himself, he crouched in front of a repair
input terminal and removed a length of ODN cable from the bag over his
shoulder. He flipped open a small hatch just above his right ear and
inserted one end of the cable. When the other end was plugged into the
terminal, he sat back on his heals and slowly worked his way into the
facility's computer.

Alert and methodical, he crept around the embedded alarms. He moved first
into the guidance relays for the main docking platform. There--a
runabout, fully powered and waiting. He smiled. *Just as it should be.*
He penetrated the ship's onboard computer system and carefully began to
prep it for departure. Then he moved into the transporter. He attuned
the modulator to match the frequency of the signal booster strapped around
his arm, and set the input to automated remote control. Satisfied, he
retraced his path and slipped back into the main computer.

He proceeded to central operations. With a barely an instant of
hesitation, he adjusted the environmental controls. Moving as quickly as
he dared, he went into communications and cut off all outside access.
If the _Enterprise_ should try to make contact during the next few
minutes, the alarm would be sounded, but he had to take the chance. He
could only hope that they would not, and be grateful that there were no
other ships in orbit.

He pulled himself from the system and unplugged the cable. Looking up, he
noted the anesthetic gas pouring out of the ventilation duct. He took his
respiratory mechanism off-line, and waited by the door for two exhausting
minutes, trying frantically not to think.

Then he headed out, through empty corridors, to the main cybernetics lab.
As he neared the center of the building, there were occasional bodies in
his path. He dodged them, keeping a rapid pace. He reached the lab and
entered.

Lore was still standing in the diagnostic stall. He had been deactivated;
his body was limp, supported by the clamps around his chest, and his chin
rested on his chest. Data stepped up to the console and disengaged the
magnetic locks. The clamps retracted, and he moved quickly onto the
platform to catch his brother's body. Data pulled him close with one
hand, and activated the remote transporter beacon with the other.

They rematerialized on the runabout's pad. Data strapped Lore into a seat
and went to the cockpit. He released the docking supports and started the
preflight sequence. With a barely literate invocation to whatever gods
might be listening, he took off, and flew out of the hanger into the night
sky.

When he cleared the atmosphere, he established a remote uplink to his
computer on the _Enterprise_, and initiated the pre-set program he had
written before he left. He engaged the warp drive and the Galor system
faded into starlines.

He made a few jagged laps around the system to leave a blanket of confused
warp trails. Then he plotted a direct course and pushed the ship to its
maximum speed. He set the controls to automatic, sat back and breathed
steadily for a few moments.

Finally, he got up and went aft. He unstrapped Lore's body and sat down
next to him, pulling the bag he had brought onto his lap. He leaned over
and ripped the restraints off Lore's wrists and ankles, laughing a little
as he threw them aside. *As though these would ever have stopped you.*
Then he dressed him with the clothing he had brought from the
_Enterprise_. He glanced up to the tranquil face as he dragged a pair of
pants over his legs. He stopped for a moment and stared, absorbing what
he had just done, absorbing what lay ahead, and looking at his
brother--seeing him--like he never had before.

*Well, that is all to be reckoned. We will find a way. I hope.* He
pulled the pants up over Lore's hips and fastened them. *Sorry for the
indignity.* He laughed softly to himself. *Although, I suppose I owe you
this whole scenario once or twice over.* He sat back and smiled at the
still body. *Sit tight, we will be there soon. And then we shall see.*

He took the diagnostic results he had downloaded out of his bag, and
studied them until the proximity alert went off in the cockpit.