ASC Awards, VOY, various stories

1 view

ruj...@delphi.com

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
As usual, I've left things to the last minute, so I hope I can get this
posted by midnight. My votes for best Voyager stories on a.s.c. are:

Circle, by Peg Robinson -- a rare perspective on Captain
Janeway's inner life, and her thoughts, insights, and questions
about the various members of her crew, especially Chakotay,
Tuvok and Paris; and a real sense of hope for the future.

Even Captains Have Needs, by Mercutio -- a chilling, mind
bending ordeal for Janeway and Paris. Like several others have
commented, I have a hard time seeing a Janeway-Paris pairing but
this was utterly believable.

The Lily-White Boys by L.R. Bowen -- a surrealistic encounter
between Tom Paris and Nick Locarno. The sheer poetry of the
mutual confessions on the bridge just took my breath away. A
brilliant idea, beautifully written.

Paris Nocturne and Le Rossignole by Brenda Antrim -- both stories
of Tom Paris facing some of his most relentless demons are well
plotted and heart wrenching. Paris Nocturne, in particular, gets my
personal award for "story most often re-read."

Retrovirus by Jennifer Pelland -- in the best Trek tradition, a
metaphor for one of the saddest events in our time.

Ruth Ann Jones