VOTE: ASC Awards [VOY]

1 view

Diavolessa

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
Would have to give the blue ribbon to Peg Robinson for "Circle," one of
the best VOY stories--and hands-down *the* best observation of the dynamic
between Janeway and Chakotay--that I've seen on the board. Wonderful flow
in the first-person narrative (probably the most easily mishandled
point-of-view there is). Terrific reading of the supporting characters,
particularly of Paris, and of the gradual change in Janeway's attitude
that parallels the fundamental changes in her approach to command she's
had to undergo in the face of _Voyager_'s unique isolation. Not often
that one comes across a piece that manages to both shake up the status quo
and elucidate it, so that what was once familiar is now presented in an
entirely new light. Thank you! and by all means, keep writing!

--D.

Sherline Lee

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
In article <4i0j08$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

diavo...@aol.com (Diavolessa) wrote:
>Would have to give the blue ribbon to Peg Robinson for "Circle," one of
>the best VOY stories--and hands-down *the* best observation of the dynamic
>between Janeway and Chakotay--that I've seen on the board.

I liked Peg's handling of the J/C dynamic as well, but
we shouldn't forget
Macedon's initial work "Talking STick" which inspired
"Circle" and then Macedon's followup with "A Cherished
Alienation."

"Talking Stick" gave a needed voice to Chakotay, and
rounded out Tuvok (in a humorous and compassionate manner) -
all while staying within (what i see as) the boundaries
of the Voyager dimension.

"A Cherished Alienation" keeps both Janeway and Chakotay
true to form - without needing to amend the characters
to suit the stories purpose.

On the whole - I appreciate the relationships that
are depicted in this series. Not only is
the writing well done - structurally, grammatically -
but the writing stands on its own; there is no
need for action, sex, or violence to make a point or
this story.

Sherline

Sherline Lee
sher...@nwu.edu