OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash writer site

eer...@okway.okstate.edu

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

Subject:
OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash writer site
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 98 08:57:06 -0600
From:
eer...@okway.okstate.edu
To:
<as...@earthlink.net>

Just thought you might be interested - one of the more popular HL
slash writers has had her homepage removed (and all her files
deleted) from Geocities by the provider because of a complaint
that her page was "Offensive and Profane". She is challenging the
decision. I would simply want anyone who currently uses Geocities
to house any of their adult fanfic, whether slash or not, to be
aware.

Browsing over Geocities FAQ for Page Content Guidelines, their
first answers indicate right off that you should only seek
admittance if you have the "appropriate" interests and hobbies,
and fit the right community standards...which means following the
majority view.

Does anyone else consider that *perhap* "by popular opinion" and
"the free flowing exchange of ideas" can be oxymoronic in
combination?

1.Why do you not allow any nudity?
As we continually say: GeoCities is an amazing place. Over
one million people from all six habitable continents, over 200
countries, and many cultures have taken up residence in our
neighborhoods. By popular opinion, our guidelines have been
carefully crafted to promote the free flowing exchange of ideas
about your interests, activities and hobbies, and at the same
time maintain standards consistent with the Internet community
and the societies of the world at large. That includes not
allowing nudity or pornography.

2.What do you mean by nudity or pornography?
This includes images and text which do not reflect the
concept of community which we cherish and offer to our
homesteaders, visitors and sponsors --- including images which
exhibit genitalia, erotic fondling of genitalia, buttocks in
which material does not completely cover the breach between the
two sides, genitalia showing through clothing, and any other
images of an individual who is nude in his or her genital area
and which nudity is either obvious or implied in the image.

3.Isn't this censorship?
There are many issues we face with regard to our content
guidelines. GeoCities reserves the right to remove any site for
any reason without notice; so it is not a matter of our
obligation to keep a site on the service. Rather, it is the
ongoing balance between maintaining commercial success and
viability and also maintaining an editorial philosophy
that encourages creativity and freedom of expression.

Ellen Ross

--
TSU If you build it, they will come

Posting to ASCEM is easy--just send your messages to as...@earthlink.net

Aleph Press

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

From:
al...@netcom.com (Aleph Press)
Re: OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash writer site
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 02:28:34 GMT
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@uunet.uu.net

Jungle Kitty (jki...@accesscom.com) wrote:

: Here is the definition of censorship, according to one of the people
who
: told me to conform or clam up.

: "However, I want to make it very clear to you that this request had
: nothing to do with "censorship". I don't even like the use of that
: word---censorship would have been to not have printed your <letter> at
: all."

: So according to this person, the Network Censor who decides the
certain
: scene can't go out over the airwaves isn't a Censor at all. After all,
: he can't pull the show! The Network Executive who cancels it is a
: Censor.

I do not know the context, and this may have absolutely nothing to do
with what happened to you, Jungle Kitty. But I do know that a lot of
people mistake a fellow netter's telling them to shut up for censorship.

When a person of equal power to yourself-- that is, someone else on a
newsgroup but not the moderator; someone else on a mailing list but not
the listmod-- tells you (generic you, not Jungle Kitty you) to shut up,
it's a statement of their opinion that you should shut up. It is every
bit as valid as your right to say the thing in the first place was. it
is
also rude. And you have every right to respond, "Fuck off and die, it's
free net and I'll say what I choose." And they have every right to
respond "That's because you're an asshole." And so on.

Where censorhsip arises is when someone actually has the power to
silence
you. That is, they don't merely express the opinion that you *should*
be
silenced, but actually *do* it. geocities is committing censorship by
refusing slash pages. It is legal censorhsip-- the only illegal
censorship in the US is that performed by a governmental body-- but it
*is* censorship. Anne is committing censorship by not sending the
Wesley
story to ASCEML. It is her legal right, and given that as list
moderator
she'd be leaglly liable if someone brought charges for child porn, her
moral right, to do so, but it's still silencing someone. Censorship,
whether legal or illegal, moral or immoral, occurs when a person
*actually* silences another one. *Not* when a person says to another
one
"You should be silenced."

The free flow of ideas means that sometimes, the idea that will freely
flow is "You're sick and perverted and your ideas should not spread."
As
*long* as that is merely one of the opinions expressed, it's not
censorship. The old saying-- opinions are like assholes, everyone's got
one-- is valid here. Someone telling you that your idea is disgusting
and
you should not be allowed to post it is them expressing an opinion, not
censoring you. As soon as they exercise power to *actually* silence
you,
then it is censorship.

--
Be good, servile little citizen-employee, and pay your taxes so the
rich

Alara Rogers, Aleph Press
al...@netcom.com

All Aleph Press stories are at http://www.mindspring.com/~alara/ajer.

Jungle Kitty net

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Re: ASCEML - Re: OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash
writer site
Date:
Fri, 01 May 1998 16:15:16 -0700
From:
Jungle Kitty <jki...@accesscom.com>
To:
AS...@earthlink.net

> Where censorhsip arises is when someone actually has the power to
> silence you.

Unfortunately, that was the case with the person I quoted, since it
didn't have to do with net posting where we can all do anything we want.

But here's my question. A few months back, there was a discussion and I
don't remember the specific topic and Greywolf posted something about
being asked to censor oneself. Is that a form of censorship? Someone
saying, "Shut up, you're an asshole" isn't censorship (IMO), but I think
someone saying, "You shouldn't say/write/post this, because it upsets
people who don't agree with it" can be interpreted as a request for
self-censorship.

What do you think?
--
Jungle Kitty
http://www.accesscom.com/~jkitty

--------------------------------------
It's not your grandmother's Star Trek.
--------------------------------------

James MacDonald

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Re: OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash writer site
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 21:58:34 +0100
From:
James MacDonald <tr...@netbook.demon.co.uk>
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

In article <alexas-ya02408000...@news.earthlink.net>,
eer...@okway.okstate.edu scribbled :

>Just thought you might be interested - one of the more popular HL
>slash writers has had her homepage removed (and all her files
>deleted) from Geocities by the provider because of a complaint
>that her page was "Offensive and Profane". She is challenging the
>decision. I would simply want anyone who currently uses Geocities
>to house any of their adult fanfic, whether slash or not, to be
>aware.

There are alternative free space providers, such as Tripod. A very
comprehensive free space list was uploaded to "Fravia's page of reverse
engineering", which can be found at <www.fravia.org> - although this
site is connected with reverse-engineering software, the need for
'liberal' providers remains the same. You will find the link in the
'news' area.

>Browsing over Geocities FAQ for Page Content Guidelines, their
>first answers indicate right off that you should only seek
>admittance if you have the "appropriate" interests and hobbies,
>and fit the right community standards...which means following the
>majority view.

Erotic fanfic is interesting, because it can be classified in two ways.
If I were running a free Web-space site, I would probably implement
something like this...

<Start>

1) The inclusion of erotic images or links to erotic images (i.e. GIF,
JPEG, PNG etc) in Web sites on this server is prohibited. Not only does
it guzzle bandwidth, it adversely affects us as a providers and the
reputations of other pages stored on our server.

2) Other material, specifically fan-fiction, whether or not of an erotic
nature, may be linked to or included in Web sites on this server,
providing that warnings are given before any material is displayed, and
that copyright regulations are followed. In particular, NOTHING stored
on our server should be charged for or profits made as a result of this,
even if the work is your own and unencumbered by copyright legislation;
we are not a commercial space provider.

<End>

- I would advise people to get a non-censorious provider, preferably one
that is not extremely popular. Xoom may be helpful, and Varoneeka has
had her site on Tripod without it being zapped yet, so maybe G.C. is not
the way to go. There is a difference between money-grabbing amateur porn
and carefully crafted art that is not for profit. Make sure your
provider can make that difference.

- Trill

Varoneeka

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Re: OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash writer site
Date:
03 May 1998 15:58:12 GMT
From:
varo...@aol.com (Varoneeka)
To:
<as...@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

>- I would advise people to get a non-censorious provider, preferably one
>that is not extremely popular. Xoom may be helpful, and Varoneeka has
>had her site on Tripod without it being zapped yet, so maybe G.C. is not
>the way to go. There is a difference between money-grabbing amateur porn
>and carefully crafted art that is not for profit. Make sure your
>provider can make that difference

"Yet," huh? I had hoped that I would be able to feel secure about Tripod, but
someone said something about a site being removed...so we'll see. I did read
over their guidelines for website, and saw nothing about no adult stories --
though they did request that people not use obscenities in chat rooms, which
makes sense to me.

Anyway, I'm keeping all my files backed-up, and I'll hope for the best. If
anyone else had somewhere to recommend, I'll be listening.

Varoneeka

http://members.tripod.com/~Varoneeka/index.htm

Varoneeka: What do you think Q would make of Sterling?
Homespon: His mistress.

R.J. Faas

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Re: ASCEML - Re: OT and FYI - Geocities shuts down slash
writer site
Date:
Sun, 03 May 1998 15:34:47 -0400
From: