Archives and updates

kira-nerys

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>
To: <ASC...@onelist.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:25:23 +0100
Subject: SV: [ASCEML] Archives and updates

From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>

Ah, so here comes a very good explanation to why you cannot do it the way
fanfiction.net does. I knew there had to be a good reason. I wish I could help
out, Dina, but my computer knowledge is even less advanced than yours, and my
site only holds 200 MB, and is also paid by a personal creditcard. I wouldn't
want to leave out my password and ID either. I do understand exactly where
you're coming from.

Cold Fusion. Yeah, ahem. Exactly. I have no idea what that is even. I'm pretty
amazed at the guys at fanfiction.net and I wish some of them were interested in
helping out with making a Trek Archive. But no can do.

I know that Siimple-Hosting does have support for some scripts. Maybe it's worth
checking out? http://www.simple-hosting.com

Again, I hope you're not taking this as a personal complaint, Dina - and Katie
too, because it is definitely not meant as one. I think you're doing a wonderful
job, and I wish only to look at alternatives.

kira-nerys

R.N. Lerret

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:39:17 -0500
To: ASC...@onelist.com
From: "R.N. Lerret" <red...@mindspring.com>
Subject: [ASCEML] Re: Archives and updates

From: "R.N. Lerret" <red...@mindspring.com>

At 02:25 PM 12/29/99 +0100, you wrote:
>From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>
[snip]

>Again, I hope you're not taking this as a personal complaint, Dina - and
Katie too, because it is definitely not meant as one.

After as many inquires over time, I don't take it as a personal thing. I'm
currently having a hard enough time finding sponsors for just a regular
archive. Let alone one with programming access. The total track record of
lost archives between Alara and myself for the years 1995-1999: trekfic,
b-b-t, aviary (twice), unicom (twice), jovian, gatekey, token, gdw, healer.
I may be missing one or two inbetween but, with all those lost sites, we
fall behind. The trick is finding a host and keeping it. I'm like many
websites in that aspect, except with a bigger problem to tote around
whenever the site has to be uprooted repeatedly. I'm just amazed at how
the ASC* archive has remained together for, at least, several years.

Dina

--
Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

kira-nerys

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>
To: "ASCEM" <asc...@onelist.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:00:26 +0100
Subject: [ASCEML] Archives and updates

From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>

Hi,

I'm going to stick my foot in something I'm not that familiar with but something
Latifah said in another post really got to me and it is something I've been
thinking about too.

The archives and how seldom they are updated.

I posted my first story to ASC/ASCEM summer of 1998 I believe it was, and so far
none of my stories are archived on the ASCEM archives. Now, I'm not complaining
per se, but I think it's only a perfect example to show how far behind in
archiving the archivist is (Dina? Is that your workload).

I'm not saying this to grate on Dina or anything, I think she's doing a
marvelous job and the archive looks beautiful. i go there from time to time to
check out stories I haven't read, but it is updated very seldom. Now I
understand that this is due to the fact that Dina and anyone else who is
involved in this only have so much time on their hands and that they have Real
Lives (TM) too, so please don't take this as a complaint.

I'm just wondering if there isn't a way to make the updates of the archives more
efficient. I know there's a place called www.fanfiction.net where you can upload
your own stories to the archives and pluck them down too if you want to. Isn't
there any way you could make the www.archive.nu site more automated to give the
archivist(s) a lighter workload? And at the same time make the archives more
current? Is this a really bad idea on my part. Granted I don't know much about
the scripts used to do things like this. I don't know much of scripts at all so
I'm out of my league here. It's just a suggestion.

What do you all think about that?

kira-nerys
~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~

Chakotay is a cutie but I forget that as soon as he opens his mouth.

~>) LADY KARDASI'S DOMAIN (<~

* Scaly Tales - the monthly e-zine
http://www.kardasi.com/st/contents.htm
* Gul Dukat's Romantic Page - G-PG fanfic + photogalleries etc.
http://www.kardasi.com/gd/contents.htm
* Kardasi Caresses - the more racy stuff. Fanfic and montages
http://www.kardasi.com/kc/contents.htm
* Join Cardassia Forever - the Cardassian Webring
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/5789/index.htm
* This and That - everything else :-)
http://www.kardasi.com/tnt/index.htm
* The Best of Both Worlds - the Spock site
http://www.kardasi.com/bobw/index.htm

ICQ # 11370117 AIM - Kardasi

~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~>)X(<~

R.N. Lerret

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:12:00 -0500

To: ASC...@onelist.com
From: "R.N. Lerret" <red...@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [ASCEML] Archives and updates

From: "R.N. Lerret" <red...@mindspring.com>

At 12:00 PM 12/29/99 +0100, you wrote:
>From: "kira-nerys" <kar...@kardasi.com>
[snip]

>What do you all think about that?

As I mentioned to Jonk, find me another archive server. Archive.nu does
not allow any cgi scripts and is being paid off by my credit card,
translating to I'm not exactly willing to give out passwords, especially
after finding fraud. web charges on it. It is also the only archive
remaining. I've got a notice of terms of service violation on my quota on
the other archive, and it's subject to removal at the whim of the
management. Plus, I can't make alterations to the other account, except
delete files. A hard hit below the belt since I don't work on the archive
off my own computer. The machine is not Y2K compliant and very low on space.

The ASC* archive would need a starting space requirement of 400megs and the
ability to un/zip files with traffic that can range from ~2-5gig/month.
Then to get it automated like the Sentinel, cgi access because the person
who designed the scripts used to write Trek stories. To get it automated
like fanfiction.net, it would need Cold Fusion, the far more expensive type
of host. Yes, I've also asked for assistance in getting the archive more
automated from them and received nadda, zippo, zilch. Can't blame them.

Last year, I asked if anyone on the groups knew Cold Fusion. Again, the
sound of silence. Some guy complained a web designer with programming
skills was willing to donate some time towards the archive but was
rejected. What he failed to realize was that this was years before Katie
and I started our shifts. The ideas fly but, unfortunately, no one has
walked forward with a working solution.

To answer Karmen's question, yes, the ASC* archive is the largest Trek
specific one on the internet at nearing 300megs. R'rain's archive is about
31megs. Hers is the second largest. She mentioned she was a year behind
as well and offers of assistance were give to her. Offers that would
probably require giving others password access. So, this was one possible
reason why I heard from an ex-PKSPer/Highlander offers went unanswered for
the longest times.

Dina,
who only has a high school diploma and works as a clerical assistant, no
computer programming in her personal education

--
Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Queco Jones

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
From: "Queco Jones" <queco...@netzero.net>
To: <ASC...@onelist.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:41:31 -0500

From: "Queco Jones" <queco...@netzero.net>

<snip>

> The ASC* archive would need a starting space requirement of
> 400megs and the
> ability to un/zip files with traffic that can range from
> ~2-5gig/month.
> Then to get it automated like the Sentinel, cgi access
> because the person
> who designed the scripts used to write Trek stories. To get
> it automated
> like fanfiction.net, it would need Cold Fusion, the far more
> expensive type
> of host. Yes, I've also asked for assistance in getting the
> archive more
> automated from them and received nadda, zippo, zilch. Can't
> blame them.

AFAIK, you don't *need* ColdFusion... it would just make it a whole lot
easier (and a whole lot more expensive). With a few good scripts, you
could have an automated setup like fanfiction.net... it's a trade-off.
More $$$ = easier; less $$$ = more complex.

As for the disk space, you're right. There's no way (AFAIK) around
that. :(

About the password issue... if you could get somebody who really knows
their stuff, you could give people restricted access to the server.
Maybe let them upload files but, not allow them to delete anything... if
they want something deleted, (assuming they are the author and have a
right to it) they could request that the admin delete it for them.

About the $$$... it all depends on how much you're paying now. I know a
guy who runs his own web server out of his home. He registered a domain
and connected a dedicated phone line to the Internet (via 56K modem) and
runs his own web server (Linux/Apache). Depending on how much you're
spending now, it might be cheaper to do something similar. I know, it's
a lot to do but, I'm sure many members (me included) would be willing to
help out with the cost of setting something like this up.

One advantage of a setup like this is that you don't have to worry about
some other company's terms of use agreements... just set your own
policies...

I'm not complaining or trying to stir things up here. I'm just offering
a few ideas... make what you want out of it.

> Dina,
> who only has a high school diploma and works as a clerical
> assistant, no
> computer programming in her personal education

Some of the best programmers in history were self-educated in the art of
computer programming...

queco

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 20:53:32 -0500
From: Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: ASC...@onelist.com

From: Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>

I'm not going to say anything about how programmers are different from
computer scientists and how self-educated programmers these days like to
reinvent the wheel.

But I could. :P

--laura

--On Wednesday, December 29, 1999, 5:41 PM -0500 Queco Jones
<queco...@netzero.net> wrote:

> Some of the best programmers in history were self-educated in the art of
> computer programming...

laura jacquez valentine -+- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~jacquez
Unused Steven Seagal Movie Title: RENT TO OWN
Jesus is a meme. -+- http://www.memepool.com/