Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden

1 view

T'Pat--Differently-Humoured Entity

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:53:27 -0800 (PST)
From:
"T'Pat--Differently-Humoured Entity" <tpa...@yahoo.com>
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden
To:
as...@earthlink.net

helmboy wrote:

> You will always offend someone. That's the way it is.

Amen to that (no pun intended, of course)

As for the story... well, it gave me a touch of disquiet.
I am a Roman Catholic in more sense than one, and
it does feel odd to imagine Christ having sex.
Don't misunderstand me, not for the sex in itself.
[With Picard?! <deep Vulcan frown here>]
It felt like watching *your parents* in their
most intimate moments. ;-)
Anyway, even that part was just about right in
intensity.

There were some glitches that SAMK already talked about,
but no, it was not offensive to me, either.
I could appreciate the sense of loneliness, and the need
to be human, even the need to forget what lies ahead.
However, Christ reminded me a lot of Q. Don't ask why, I hardly
ever read P/Q, so I would exclude that being the reason...
maybe Jesus' using the word 'tricks'?

I think this was a good experiment, one which worked out,
though with unconclusive results in my particular case.
And I would not discourage experimentation if my life
depended on it.

T'Pat--muttering 'interesting'...
==
`Different' is normal. Normal? Now, *that* is different. T'Pat
>:-j

Interested in the ASCEM(L) Round Robin? There's still time!
Write to eres...@cyberg8t.com and ask to be put on the list!!
Posting to ASCEM is easy--just send your messages to as...@earthlink.net

To subscribe to the ONElist version of ASCEML, go to
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/ASCEML

Asc...@aol.com

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
From:
Asc...@aol.com
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:48:02 EST
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden

I find it fascinating that this subject has come up now, *after* the
posting
of "Garden".

Fascinating because this is not the first story posted here to make
use
of
religious themes in a piece of TrekSmut. The most recent example being
Scarlet's take on the Norse myths and K/S.

My question is why has it come up now? Is it because Christianity and
Jesus
are seen as part and parcel of a religion whereas the Norse gods are
no
longer
considered to be part of a still-worshiped pantheon? Because they are
now
considered to be a myth? A folktale?

And please do not try and tell me Christianity is a living, breathing,
viable
religion while the Norse pantheon is not. I know quite a few people
who
consider themselves to be followers of Odin. Might Scarlet's piece not
be
considered sacrilegious to them?

When does one person's religion become myth? Is it possible, in the
future,
Christianity itself will be regulated to "myth"?

And one last thought. In folktale, in myth, sexuality of all sorts is
de
reguier. Women and men practice everything from bestiality, incest
and
necrophila to the more vanilla of practices.

Again, is it because Christianity has twisted sexuality into a "bad
thing"
that Jesus is seen as a pure, non-sexual being? Or is it because as
long as it
is considered to be myth, to be folktale, to be part of a belief
system
of
what are seen as more primitive peoples, sexuality is considered to be
okay?

anne in chicago