Reviews/Recommendations (was Re: Thoughts on Feedback)

Alexas

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

Subject:
Reviews/Recommendations (was Re: Thoughts on Feedback)
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:
eres...@cyberg8t.com (Ruth Gifford)
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Ellen wrote:

> Ruth asked about thoughts on feedback.

I should do that more often. :-) Seriously, I'm glad that so many people
seemed to take my comments to heart. I'm *terrible* at getting back to
other people who have written things that I've printed out and devoured half
a dozen times, so it was sort of a "do as I say, not as I do" situation.

>I don't write fanfic, myself. I started a tiny bit of a P/K, but
>it's really not my area, and it's never been finished. However, I'm
>pretty darn good at reading, and I've had more than a little bit of
>experience on editing and critiquing. Once I started to realize how much
>fanficdom felt like a community, I decided I had a responsibility to
contribute
>to that community. If I couldn't do it with fiction, I could do it with
>feedback.

I'm glad you said this because I get really tired of reading about how all
this Internet stuff and technology is going to destroy peoples sense of
community and connectedness. If we can have this perpetual Con room party
going where people drop in and talk TrekSmut, or if we have this ongoing
discussion in a corner of the world's greatest bookstore where the ST shelf
is right next door to the smut and none of the books have to have Paramount
and John Ordover's "Stamp of Sterility--ooops--Approval," we *are* a
community; we *are* connected. I have many friends here that I've never met
in "real life" and that I may never meet in "real life." They're no less
"real" to me than the friends that I hang out with in person.

>Believe me, the response you usually get is almost as satisfying
>as the story was in the first place. It takes such a little effort to
>make somebody's day.

Day? It had been a lousy week Ellen; you made far more than my day. I had
a serious case of "Sally Field Syndrome" after I read your comments. But,
after I calmed down and managed to get my head back to the point where I
could get back through doors again, those comments gave me an idea.

In a word: Reviews. Well . . . being me I need more than one word. :-)
Recommendations works just as well. Is there a story in the Archives that
you've read and want other people to read? Feel like sharing? I know of
several stories (none of them mine, OK?), some of them ones from the asfs
days, that shouldn't languish unread in the Archives. Anyone else? Feel
free to write as much or as little as you like; this is an exhibition, not a
competition. No wagering please.

Ruth
* Ruth | Visit GiffStein Productions *
* Gifford | http://www.cyberg8t.com/ereshkgl/ *
* Better living thru TrekSmut--See for Yourself! *
* http://www.capital.net/users/rjs1/asce *

"You didn't think that pissing off a god was,
just maybe, a bad idea?"

Lily Sloane to Jean-Luc Picard
"Until the End of the World" -- Atara Stein