History of "smut"

Greywolf the Wanderer

Apr 2, 2001, 11:47:48 AM4/2/01
hammersc wrote:

> >===== Original Message From ASC...@yahoogroups.com =====
> >The word, that is. Does anyone recall who/when we started
> >calling our stuff "Treksmut"? My brain thinks the term was
> >coined by Ruth Gifford, but my brain may be wrong. Was
> >there a "porn or erotica?" discussion on ASCEM or one of its
> >predecessors that led to the use of "smut" instead? Was the
> >term "smut" favored in some other fandom or group, and leaked into here, or
> did it more or less start here and leak out?
>
> The word "smut" is, as far as I know, a fairly old and widely used one; I've
> seen it in books and movies that have nothing to do with Star Trek or
> fanfiction. I don't know where it originated, though, or how and when it
> started being used in the word "Treksmut."

AFAIK it was coined by Auntie Ruth, in the days of ASFS, before the spammers got
to be such a problem.

> Prosperity & Longevity
>
> SAAVANT

Greywolf

Mary Ellen Curtin

Apr 2, 2001, 12:10:28 PM4/2/01
GW recalled:

> AFAIK it was coined by Auntie Ruth, in the days of ASFS, before the spammers got
> to be such a problem.

That's what I recalled hearing, but that was well before my
time. Do you remember the circumstances, GW? (the ASFS
archive is unsearchable, pox it) Do you or other Senior
Members recall whether "smut" was in common use elsewhere
in the alt.sex hierarchy, e.g. in alt.sex.bondage?

This is an example, see, of "reappropriation" -- taking a derogatory
term into one's collective busom.;-P

Mary Ellen
Doctor Science, MA
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/au/
Alternate Universes: Fanfiction Studies
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/foresmut/
The Foresmutters Project

Robin

Apr 2, 2001, 10:06:38 PM4/2/01
I remember exactly when it was. However, the message is on my old computer in
the old mail section. "Treksmut" was indeed coined by Ruth. It was soon after
asce was created.

Robin

Stephen Ratliff

Apr 3, 2001, 9:49:44 AM4/3/01
At 09:38 AM 04/03/2001, you wrote:
>At 06:54 PM 4/2/2001 -0700, Karmen Ghia wrote:
> >How long as anne in chicago been running "Better
> >Living Through Treksmut"? She might know the answer.
>
>anne adopted the list from Taffy, who started it as a mirror mailing list
>for either ASFS or ASCE, I'm not sure which.

ASCE (alt.startrek.creative.erotica)

The term "Treksmut" was coined by Ruth during the discussion for the
creation of ASCE, when the name alt.startrek.creative.treksmut was put
forward by her as a potential way to avoid the spam problem. While the
name was decided against, the term caught on to the point where the mailing
list was name "Better Living through Treksmut" or BLTs

Stephen
part time ASC* Historian.

Constable Katie

Apr 3, 2001, 9:38:05 AM4/3/01
At 06:54 PM 4/2/2001 -0700, Karmen Ghia wrote:
>How long as anne in chicago been running "Better
>Living Through Treksmut"? She might know the answer.

anne adopted the list from Taffy, who started it as a mirror mailing list
for either ASFS or ASCE, I'm not sure which.

Katie