Slash in the news, again

Mary Ellen Curtin

Sep 4, 2000, 3:31:02 PM9/4/00

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38484,00.html

Mary Ellen
Doctor Science, MA
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/au/
Alternate Universes: Fanfiction Studies
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/foresmut/
The Foresmutters Project

J S Cavalcante

Sep 5, 2000, 6:04:39 PM9/5/00

Message text written by jat_sapphire

>Better than the last one I read, but definitely. Nice that they
talked to you. But it does look like they interviewed two people,
read one Jenkins article or maybe got the quotes from you and Zoe,
looked at an archive, and went to press, and it's yet another one
that indicates that print fandom is drying up and blowing away, not
what I've been hearing.
<

True--K/S print fandom, at least, appears to be thriving. It's not as big
as it was in the 80s, but it exists; we have some new publishers, and
several big anthologies and novels are published every year. In fact,
online fandom seems to be feeding print fandom somewhat (of course the
reverse is also true), as online authors discover printzines and contribute
to them. And now kira-nerys is going to publish the SFF in hardcopy . . .
I think print fandom is doing fine. <g>

LL&P
J S

J S Cavalcante

Sep 5, 2000, 5:58:23 PM9/5/00

Message text written by INTERNET:ASC...@egroups.com
>http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38484,00.html

Mary Ellen<

Loved your quotes, M.E.! You got the "Kirk's ass" one in there, too! <g>

Way to go!

Jane (jat)

Sep 5, 2000, 4:55:37 PM9/5/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38484,00.html

Better than the last one I read, but definitely. Nice that they
talked to you. But it does look like they interviewed two people,
read one Jenkins article or maybe got the quotes from you and Zoe,
looked at an archive, and went to press, and it's yet another one
that indicates that print fandom is drying up and blowing away, not
what I've been hearing.

Thanks for the citation, though, I'm glad to see it's not just played
for laughs *every* time.

Jane

Laura Goodwin

Sep 5, 2000, 8:26:34 PM9/5/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38484,00.html

Hey! What a great story! Thanks for the pointer.

Laura Goodwin

Liz

Sep 5, 2000, 10:43:11 PM9/5/00

At 03:31 PM 9/4/00 -0400, you wrote:
>http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38484,00.html

Yay, Mary Ellen! Love your "don't know Kirk's ass from their own" quote!

Liz

rae_trail

Sep 6, 2000, 12:24:16 AM9/6/00

Thank you, Dr. Slash! I've been writing K/S for myself for 20 years, and it took you and this list to make me appreciate how important it is. Most fiercely best regards, Rae