H/C at the Olympics

Mary Ellen Curtin

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

A few months ago in the course of a discussion on
the Sentinel list Prospect-L, I found out why (some)
people read h/c. In Sentinel fandom, h/c is known as
"smarm" -- or rather, smarm is the term of art for the
comfort part of the equation.

A very prominent smarm writer said that what she is
looking for in smarm is an emotional reaction so intense
it has a physiological component:

>I usually
>feel it like a hollowness in my gut as though I
>were suddenly very hungry, a cold sensation down
>my spine all the way to my tailbone, and heat
>across the top of my scalp. It's the smarm
>spike (waiting until the laugher dies down); it
>lasts maybe a second or two, and I get it in
>response to a moment of great tenderness,
>especially between two men.

A number of smarm fans jumped up and said, "Yes!
That's it exactly!" so I know it isn't just one person's
reaction.

I realized I was reading a clear description of an
emotion I did not recognize, and for which there is no
word in English. I am so impressed by this discovery
that I'm giving a paper about it at the Popular Culture
Association conference next spring.

But what, you may well ask, does this have to do with
the Olympics?

I was discussing my paper proposal with my husband
the other night, and we were wondering whether we
feel smarm spikes -- if this is an emotion that we might
experience, though in a different context than h/c stories.
The thing we thought of was the Olympics.

We hypothesize that Olympic TV coverage may be
structured to elicit smarm spikes, that *that* is the emotional
experience they're going for. The up-close-and-personal
stories lay the groundwork, the recaps at the end of the
day and the medals ceremonies are the payoffs -- they
give us a feeling very like the smarm spike description,
above.

Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Mary Ellen
Doctor Science, MA
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/au/
Alternate Universes: Fanfiction Studies
http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/foresmut/
The Foresmutters Project

Jane (jat)

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> A few months ago in the course of a discussion on
> the Sentinel list Prospect-L, I found out why (some)
> people read h/c. In Sentinel fandom, h/c is known as
> "smarm" -- or rather, smarm is the term of art for the
> comfort part of the equation.

It's so amazing how we are taking words of contempt and making them
the terms of art. There's a paper in just that, ME.

> A very prominent smarm writer said that what she is
> looking for in smarm is an emotional reaction so intense
> it has a physiological component:
>
> >I usually
> >feel it like a hollowness in my gut as though I
> >were suddenly very hungry, a cold sensation down
> >my spine all the way to my tailbone, and heat
> >across the top of my scalp. It's the smarm
> >spike (waiting until the laugher dies down); it
> >lasts maybe a second or two, and I get it in
> >response to a moment of great tenderness,
> >especially between two men.
>
> A number of smarm fans jumped up and said, "Yes!
> That's it exactly!" so I know it isn't just one person's
> reaction.

Wow.

Now don't you think that this is the reason for the greater and
greater hurt quotients in h/c? This is the kind of emotional
reaction which needs stronger and stronger stimuli to repeat.

I don't get this exact physiological reaction, but I had a chest-
gripping one when I read romances as a teen--not at the clinches,
feeble as they were, but at the moments of revelation--'don't you
know I love you?' kind of moments. I still get it sometimes but not
nearly as often, not reliably.

I *think* there's something about this in Janice Radway's _Reading
the Romance_, or possibly in Victor Nell's _Lost in a Book: The
Psychology of Reading for Pleasure_.

> I realized I was reading a clear description

Really is. What a priceless source.

>of an
> emotion I did not recognize, and for which there is no
> word in English. I am so impressed by this discovery
> that I'm giving a paper about it at the Popular Culture
> Association conference next spring.

Which, the Mid-Atlantic? Thought that was in November.

Good luck; sounds interesting.

Jane

Liz

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> A few months ago in the course of a discussion on
> the Sentinel list Prospect-L, I found out why (some)
> people read h/c. In Sentinel fandom, h/c is known as
> "smarm" -- or rather, smarm is the term of art for the
> comfort part of the equation.

I'm going to have to think about your question some more before I can
give it any kind of good answer, but I'm struck by the use of this
particular word, since it has always had negative connotations
before. Do you have any idea how it came to be used in this context?

Liz

J S Cavalcante

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

Message text written by INTERNET:ASC...@egroups.com

>Now don't you think that this is the reason for the greater and
greater hurt quotients in h/c? This is the kind of emotional
reaction which needs stronger and stronger stimuli to repeat.
<

Aha--a true addiction. <g> Whatever the stimulus, it's really our own
brain chemistry that we get "addicted" to.

But you are referring only to those who get the feeling from the greater
hurt quotient. I hear the complaint often from h/c fans that there usually
isn't enough "comfort" in h/c. So I assume those readers get the feeling
from the comfort quotient.

>I don't get this exact physiological reaction, but I had a chest-
>gripping one when I read romances as a teen--not at the clinches,
>feeble as they were, but at the moments of revelation--'don't you
>know I love you?' kind of moments. I still get it sometimes but not
>nearly as often, not reliably.

I experience the greatest emotion from those moments of revelation in K/S.
In my case, they're closer to what Mary Ellen's "smarm-fan" friend
describes--hollowness in the stomach and a frisson up the spine . . ..

I do wonder why they decided to call it "smarm." Maybe they
self-consciously assigned a disparaging term so that the uninitiated would
not know how seriously they really take it.

LL&P
J S

SAMK

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

Mary Ellen Curtin wrote:

> Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
> smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
> Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, yes, yes.

Didn't the greeks call it catharsis?

SAMK
sa...@inil.com

akite...@aol.com

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

In a message dated 9/24/00 2:15:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
mecu...@alumni.Princeton.EDU writes:

> Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
> smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
> Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I got severe smarm spikes watching the Summer Games
in 1996. Gymnast, Carrie Scrugg being carried by Bela Koroli <sp?>
to the podium to receive the USA Team medal is a very smarmy moment
in my memory. I bawled like a baby.

That's what makes memories to me. Anything that gives me an
emotional response, be it a story and TV show, whatever. If I
had a real reaction to it, I member. Particularly, if it makes me
cry. Happy tears, sad tears, doesn't matter. I'm not a big crier
either, depending on hormones. <g>

Anita

EmGee

Sep 24, 2000, 9:22:14 PM9/24/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> A few months ago in the course of a discussion on
> the Sentinel list Prospect-L, I found out why (some)
> people read h/c. In Sentinel fandom, h/c is known as
> "smarm" -- or rather, smarm is the term of art for the
> comfort part of the equation.
>
> A very prominent smarm writer said that what she is
> looking for in smarm is an emotional reaction so intense
> it has a physiological component:
>
> >I usually
> >feel it like a hollowness in my gut as though I
> >were suddenly very hungry, a cold sensation down
> >my spine all the way to my tailbone, and heat
> >across the top of my scalp. It's the smarm
> >spike (waiting until the laugher dies down); it
> >lasts maybe a second or two, and I get it in
> >response to a moment of great tenderness,
> >especially between two men.
>
> A number of smarm fans jumped up and said, "Yes!
> That's it exactly!" so I know it isn't just one person's
> reaction.

As someone who *adores* h/c, I agree completely that good h/c evokes
a physiological response, and I never was able to come up with a word
for it either. I don't get the cold/tailbone thing, although
occasionally I'll get the scalp thing. Mostly I get a very clear
flutter and funny feeling in my chest.

> I realized I was reading a clear description of an

> emotion I did not recognize, and for which there is no
> word in English. I am so impressed by this discovery
> that I'm giving a paper about it at the Popular Culture
> Association conference next spring.

Is there a word for this in any other language? Those of you on the
list who are not native English speakers -- any feedback on this?

> I was discussing my paper proposal with my husband
> the other night, and we were wondering whether we
> feel smarm spikes -- if this is an emotion that we might
> experience, though in a different context than h/c stories.
> The thing we thought of was the Olympics.
>
> We hypothesize that Olympic TV coverage may be
> structured to elicit smarm spikes, that *that* is the emotional
> experience they're going for. The up-close-and-personal
> stories lay the groundwork, the recaps at the end of the
> day and the medals ceremonies are the payoffs -- they
> give us a feeling very like the smarm spike description,
> above.
>

> Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
> smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
> Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have been watching the Olympics, in fact have the coverage on in
the background now. I don't get much in the way of smarm spikes from
it, much as I might like to <g>, because the commentators just won't
leave well enough alone. They talk too much and are just too *loud*
and insistent and anything I might be feeling gets drowned out in the
noise. And if that's not enough, the commercials really ruin the
mood!

I think smarm spikes, like responses to erotic writing, might be most
easily elicited when one can achieve a certain internal silence or at
least focus, which is hard to achieve when watching commercial TV.

Thank you so much for taking a serious approach to this topic! And I
would love to see your paper after you publish it!

EmGee

T 'Boy

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecurtin@a...> wrote:
> A very prominent smarm writer said that what she is
> looking for in smarm is an emotional reaction so intense
> it has a physiological component:

YES!

> >I usually
> >feel it like a hollowness in my gut

Yes.

as though I
> >were suddenly very hungry, a cold sensation down
> >my spine all the way to my tailbone, and heat
> >across the top of my scalp.

Yes. Skin crawls.

It's the smarm
> >spike (waiting until the laugher dies down); it
> >lasts maybe a second or two, and I get it in
> >response to a moment of great tenderness,
> >especially between two men.
>
> A number of smarm fans jumped up and said, "Yes!
> That's it exactly!" so I know it isn't just one person's
> reaction.

Yes, that's it exactly!!!! <g> I've always privately thought of it as
an endorphin rush (whether that's right or not, wouldn't have a clue,
but that's what I called it for lack of a better term). I rely on it
enormously, to artificially hit highs and lows, when I choose.
NOTHING beats spending time over an angsty moment, tears pouring,
soul-shattered, because you've peaked (or troughed) over the
emotional pain content.

> I realized I was reading a clear description of an
> emotion I did not recognize, and for which there is no
> word in English. I am so impressed by this discovery
> that I'm giving a paper about it at the Popular Culture
> Association conference next spring.

Terrific. Would love to read it at some time, if possible.

> But what, you may well ask, does this have to do with
> the Olympics?

Absolutley nothing, for me <g>. Sorry, but I can't put them in the
same category, doesn't work for me. Might for others though I guess.

> Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
> smarm spike?

Yesyesyesyesyes

Do you get smarm spikes watching the
> Olympics?

Nonononono

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Absolutely. And I'm amazed someone is discussing a condition I
didn't realize was one I shared with others. I don't know why I
*ever* think that something I do is unique <gg>. I'm glad others get
this.

> Mary Ellen
> Doctor Science, MA
> http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/au/
> Alternate Universes: Fanfiction Studies
> http://www.eclipse.net/~mecurtin/foresmut/
> The Foresmutters Project

smarmily
T'Boy <g>

Invicta

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

> From: "Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecu...@alumni.Princeton.EDU>
>
> Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
> smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
> Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> Mary Ellen
> Doctor Science, MA

Yes. I think I recognize that spike. Although I have to say I don't care for
the word "smarm". I always thought smarm was a negative term meaning bad h/c
gen friendship stories.

I've recently read a lot of HL fic and there's a ton of h/c relationship gen
where that so called spike was spiking all over the place, Highlander being a
very good fandom for angst and h/c. I remember my early days of reading TOS
fic, when I read everything I could get my hands on, how much I loved reading
relationship gen with a good plot and tons of h/c.

Personally, in my opinion, the entertainment industry (including those
responsible for the Olympic coverage) know that h/c (or however they call it)
sells and it sells big. The action adventure genre alone is just bubbling over
with h/c buddy buddy stories that play with our spiking hormones all the damn
time, to different degrees of course. I tend to think of the Lethal Weapon
movies as a good example. The two heros nearly die in every single movie and
in every single movie they always end up in each others arms at some point. In
fact, Mel Gibson's filmography could easily be a study in h/c.

I have noticed in the Olympics a lot of attention given to team mate
interaction and the hugs they give each other, etc etc. I didn't know if I was
paying more attention to it just cause I now have this nasty habit of seeing
slash everywhere I looked or if it were deliberate. I also confess to a
fascination with how the Russian gymnastics team so easily and casually kiss
each other. I know kissing as a greeting is much more common outside the US,
but I'm still fascinated by it for some reason. I really sort of wish we did
that here, but then I'd probably have a heart attack if everybody at works
started kissing each other all the time.

hafital

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9331/3/_/515369/_/969998963/

EmGee

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, J S Cavalcante <102763.1453@c...> wrote:
> Message text written by hafital

> >I didn't know if I was
> paying more attention to it just cause I now have this nasty habit
of
> seeing
> slash everywhere I looked or if it were deliberate. <
>
> hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around
and jumped
> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long time. Even
moving
> his hips some. I had just walked into the room where my husband was
> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's* interesting. Pretty
slashy."

I thought the same thing. And then I thought I'd been spending *way*
too much time reading the posts of this group!

EmGee

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9336/3/_/515369/_/970032787/

Mark Stanley

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

J S Cavalcante wrote:

> Message text written by T'Boy
>
> > Groups of women all around me were giggling very
> nervously, liking what they saw even if they were uncomfortable.
> But, they were *allowed* to look this time, it was *safe*, and look
> they did <gg>. Of course, this was why I was there in the first
> place <eg>, so there was no giggling from me, just a lot of maniacal
> grins and loud cheering.
> <
>
> ROFL! You were *there*? Wow--lucky you! I guess I didn't know you were
> in Australia. Pretty interesting to observe the audience reaction, huh?
>
> Too bad they don't hold with tradition in that event and do it nude.
> <shucks!>

I was just talking about that today -- if they wanted to be *totally*
authentic, they would have to be nude and covered with olive oil. Which
would make it both more interesting to watch and more challenging. :0)

Mark
--

"A true opera fanatic is someone who can listen to the whole William
Tell overture and never once think of The Lone Ranger." -- David W.

ICQ# 51278836

http://members.tripod.com/~MarkStanley/

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/3/_/515369/_/970038960/

hafital

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

J S Cavalcante <10276...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> Message text written by hafital
>
> >I didn't know if I was
> paying more attention to it just cause I now have this nasty habit of
> seeing
> slash everywhere I looked or if it were deliberate. <
>
> hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around and jumped
> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long time. Even moving
> his hips some. I had just walked into the room where my husband was
> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's* interesting. Pretty slashy."
> My husband didn't even blink. He's used to it by now. <g>

I did see that! And I thought the exact same thing. I also thought the camera
stayed on them for a long time, but then what else would they be showing?
Those two were cute weren't they? I also liked embraces the american swimmers
were always giving to each other. They'ed just kind of hang out in each others
arms for awhile after racing with these silly grins on their faces.

hafital

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!

1. Fill in the brief application

2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9333/3/_/515369/_/970058906/

hafital

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

"T 'Boy" <tbo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> > victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around
> and jumped> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long
> time. Even moving> his hips some. I had just walked into the room
> where my husband was> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's*
> interesting. Pretty slashy."> My husband didn't even blink. He's
> used to it by now. <g>
> >
> > LL&P
> > J S
>
> LOL, I went to the Greco-Roman Wrestling bronze & gold matches last
> night, it was Fantastically Slashy. Whenever one of the competitors
> adopted the submissive posture (sounds like "partierre"??), and his
> opponent leaped on him from behind, you could taste the wierdness in
> the crowd. Groups of women all around me were giggling very
> nervously, liking what they saw even if they were uncomfortable.
> But, they were *allowed* to look this time, it was *safe*, and look
> they did <gg>. Of course, this was why I was there in the first
> place <eg>, so there was no giggling from me, just a lot of maniacal
> grins and loud cheering.

I had this friend in college who, when he was in H.S. used to be on the
wrestling team. He's totally built for the sport. Anyway, one day in acting
class he was telling us about how he used to wrestle but after a while had to
quit. When his coach asked him why he was quiting he said it was because he
couldn't stand the noise. What noise, asked his coach. You know, that noise.
The noise the cups make when they clash into each other.

Apparently, it made him uncomfortable. <g>

Gee, I wonder why.

hafital

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/3/_/515369/_/970060186/

T 'Boy

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, J S Cavalcante <102763.1453@c...> wrote:
> Message text written by hafital
>
> >I didn't know if I was> paying more attention to it just cause I
now have this nasty habit of> seeing> slash everywhere I looked or if
it were deliberate. <

> hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around
and jumped> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long
time. Even moving> his hips some. I had just walked into the room
where my husband was> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's*
interesting. Pretty slashy."> My husband didn't even blink. He's
used to it by now. <g>

> LL&P
> J S

LOL, I went to the Greco-Roman Wrestling bronze & gold matches last
night, it was Fantastically Slashy. Whenever one of the competitors
adopted the submissive posture (sounds like "partierre"??), and his
opponent leaped on him from behind, you could taste the wierdness in
the crowd. Groups of women all around me were giggling very
nervously, liking what they saw even if they were uncomfortable.
But, they were *allowed* to look this time, it was *safe*, and look
they did <gg>. Of course, this was why I was there in the first
place <eg>, so there was no giggling from me, just a lot of maniacal
grins and loud cheering.

And no, no smarm spikes, just old fashioned smutty thoughts. ;-D
yours
T'Boy

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9335/3/_/515369/_/970031994/

T 'Boy

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

--- In ASC...@egroups.com, Mark Stanley <mrs260@s...> wrote:
> J S Cavalcante wrote:
> >
> > Message text written by T'Boy

> > > Groups of women all around me were giggling very
> > nervously, liking what they saw even if they were uncomfortable.
> > But, they were *allowed* to look this time, it was *safe*, and
look> > they did <gg>. Of course, this was why I was there in the
first> > place <eg>, so there was no giggling from me, just a lot of
maniacal> > grins and loud cheering.

JS wrote

<

> > ROFL! You were *there*? Wow--lucky you! I guess I didn't know
you were> > in Australia.

Yeah. G'Day. :-D

Pretty interesting to observe the audience reaction, huh?

Fascinating!<g> The Koreans were waving a sea of flags like
beserkers, the Swedes were *scary* <gg>. It was a great atmsophere,
you'd have to be dead not to have been caught up in it. The men's
reaction to the clinches was interesting. I heard a few nervous
comments around me at first, then they settled in and got *real*
focussed <gg>. Maybe it was just me (yeah, probably...) but I got a
nice buzz guessing the nice fantasy life some would have been
indulging in then, watching the bods get up close and mean <eg>

> > Too bad they don't hold with tradition in that event and do it
nude.
> > <shucks!>

Hehehehe the official singlet wear was ok hehehehe

Mark wrote:
> I was just talking about that today -- if they wanted to be
*totally*> authentic, they would have to be nude and covered with
olive oil. Which> would make it both more interesting to watch and
more challenging. :0)

Definitely interesting & challenging. Actually they get towelled
down at halftime, and I quite enjoyed that too :) Not permitted to
be too slippery or smelly I guess. It *is* a pity, but I'm sure that
variation must be alive and well somewhere in the world <g>. Maybe
not at Olympic standard, but still good to watch ;-)

cheers
T'Boy

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!

1. Fill in the brief application

2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/3/_/515369/_/970048375/

J S Cavalcante

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

Message text written by hafital

>I didn't know if I was
paying more attention to it just cause I now have this nasty habit of
seeing
slash everywhere I looked or if it were deliberate. <

hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around and jumped
on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long time. Even moving
his hips some. I had just walked into the room where my husband was
watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's* interesting. Pretty slashy."
My husband didn't even blink. He's used to it by now. <g>

LL&P
J S

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9336/3/_/515369/_/970027866/

J S Cavalcante

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

Message text written by INTERNET:ASC...@egroups.com
>> hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around
and jumped
> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long time. Even
moving
> his hips some. I had just walked into the room where my husband was
> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's* interesting. Pretty
slashy."

>I thought the same thing. And then I thought I'd been spending *way*

>too much time reading the posts of this group!

>EmGee

LOL--No, never too much! <g>

J S

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9332/3/_/515369/_/970035259/

J S Cavalcante

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

Message text written by T'Boy

> Groups of women all around me were giggling very
nervously, liking what they saw even if they were uncomfortable.
But, they were *allowed* to look this time, it was *safe*, and look
they did <gg>. Of course, this was why I was there in the first
place <eg>, so there was no giggling from me, just a lot of maniacal
grins and loud cheering.
<

ROFL! You were *there*? Wow--lucky you! I guess I didn't know you were
in Australia. Pretty interesting to observe the audience reaction, huh?

Too bad they don't hold with tradition in that event and do it nude.
<shucks!>

LL&P
J S

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/3/_/515369/_/970035642/

J S Cavalcante

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
Message text written by INTERNET:ASC...@egroups.com
>I was just talking about that today -- if they wanted to be *totally*
authentic, they would have to be nude and covered with olive oil. Which
would make it both more interesting to watch and more challenging. :0)

Mark<

Oh. my. god.

No kidding. That would be something to see. <g>

LL&P
J S

SAMK

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
J S Cavalcante wrote:

> Message text written by hafital
>
> >I didn't know if I was
> paying more attention to it just cause I now have this nasty habit of
> seeing
> slash everywhere I looked or if it were deliberate. <
>

> hafital, Did you catch the last moments of the U.S. beach volleyball
> victory tonight? The guy who got the winning shot turned around and jumped
> on his teammate and lay full length on him for a long time. Even moving
> his hips some. I had just walked into the room where my husband was
> watching the Olympics. I said, "Oh, *that's* interesting. Pretty slashy."

> My husband didn't even blink. He's used to it by now. <g>

Not to mention kissing him on the neck and talking into his ear.
Gods, yes. Blatently slashy.

SAMK
sa...@inil.com

Magida

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
From: Magida <mag...@my-deja.com>

In article <032401c0265a$f9cc45c0$1de9cfcf@default>,

"Mary Ellen Curtin" <mecu...@alumni.Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> A very prominent smarm writer said that what she is
> looking for in smarm is an emotional reaction so intense
> it has a physiological component:

Magida comes cautiously out from lurking and jumps up and down. "Oh my
God! Oh my God! It's not just me!!!!"

Smarm spikes? *grin* And it's got a name! Got the hollowness but not
the rest, get the addicting warmth in my stomach right afterward. Came
about puberty and stayed. Only works with those tender male/male
moments and leads to inordinately large slash fanzine bills. Been
talking on a ST message board lately about synesthesia (ya know, see
sounds, taste colors, feel tastes?) ... I'm lightly synesthetic --
think there's such a thing as smarm synesthesia as well? Something to
bring up with the other synesthetic Trek guys! Whoa!

> I was discussing my paper proposal with my husband
> the other night, and we were wondering whether we
> feel smarm spikes -- if this is an emotion that we might
> experience, though in a different context than h/c stories.
> The thing we thought of was the Olympics.

Never! Not unless one of the male synchronized divers falls off the
platform prematurely and is rescued while still in swoon by his diving
partner who cradles him tenderly after saving him from drowning ...

Going back to lurking, quite pleased with the smarm spike discovery,
Magida

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Gamin Davis

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
From: arkiet...@usa.net (Gamin Davis)

On 24 Sep 2000, mecu...@alumni.Princeton.EDU (Mary Ellen Curtin) said
<032401c0265a$f9cc45c0$1de9cfcf@default> in
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated:

>Do those of you who like h/c and smarm recognize a
>smarm spike? Do you get smarm spikes watching the
>Olympics? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I know what you're talking about, but no, I don't generally get it
watching the Olympics. I'm not that empathically connected with sports.
<shrug>
Gamin

J S Cavalcante

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
Message text written by INTERNET:ASC...@egroups.com
>I did see that! And I thought the exact same thing. I also thought the
camera
stayed on them for a long time, but then what else would they be showing?
Those two were cute weren't they? <

Yeah, the fact that they were good-looking didn't hurt the illusion any.
<g>

J S