Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden (TNG, P/m, NR-ish 2/2))

Judygran

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden
(TNG, P/m, NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
21 Jan 1999 22:52:12 GMT
From:
judy...@aol.com (Judygran)
To:
as...@rocketmail.com
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

Ruth, after reading Askem Noone's Picard/Jesus story (or should it be
Jesus/Picard story?) asked,

>So, how do we all feel about slash and religion? Is
>this a big taboo, a kink, or something that doesn't
>matter one way or another?

If slash is supposed to be off-limits in Christianity, then when do you think
Jesus and that guy were doing at the Last Supper? The one the Gospel of John
refers to as "the disciple Jesus loved"? (John 13:23-25) The one who leaned
back against his chest while Jesus whispered in his ear? The one who showed up
again at the foot of the cross and "adopted" Mary as his mother? Well???

Apparently, "the discipline Jesus loved" was not one of the Twelve Apostles. So
what was he doing, going everywhere with Jesus and lying against his chest at
the Passover seder? (Although most artistic representations show them sitting
at the table, in fact they were probably reclining.) Thanks to Brother Martin
Smith, SSJE, Superior of the Society of St. John the Evangelist, for pointing
this out to me.

I enjoyed "Picard in the Garden" and certainly didn't find it offensive. I
think the idea of Jesus's welcoming physical love and comfort and pleasure on
the night of his betrayal is perfectly acceptable. I did think that Jesus's
ironic, self-deprecating attitude toward his mission needed more of an "edge"
in this story. After all, the author was working against 2,000 years of
tradition.

FWIW, I still practice the Christian tradition I was brought up in, and slashy
interpolations in religious texts don't offend me. I have to admit, though,
that I belong to a pretty progressive church, in which Pridefest is announced
from the pulpit, gay couples are welcomed and a bishop from a neighboring
diocese held a book signing at Giovanni's Room (it was a book about his trial
and acquittal on charges of heresy for ordaining a non-celibate gay priest who
lives in the rectory with his partner).

And I have to tell this story about "slash and religion": After I got back from
Friscon last fall, some folks in my congregation wondered why I wasn't there
that Sunday. I explained that I'd gone to the Bay area to get together with a
bunch of like-minded folks who believe that the Star Trek characters are all in
gay relationships with one another. A guy who's ordained as a deacon replied,
"Why, I've never had the slightest *doubt* that they are all in gay
relationships with one another!"

Somehow, it was very affirming to hear that from someone wearing a clerical
collar.

Judith

Brancheh

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden
(TNG, P/m, NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
22 Jan 1999 16:57:05 GMT
From:
bran...@aol.com (Brancheh)

To:
<alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.isc.org>
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

>Apparently, "the discipline Jesus loved"

ok, if this is going to become a bdsm thread, let's NOT go there! :)

Brancher

I went out there
in search of experience
to taste and to touch
and to see as much
as a man can
before he repents

Julie Levin Russo

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden (TNG, P/m,
NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:16:23 Gmt +2:00
From:
"Julie Levin Russo"<ju...@NewMail.Net>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Judygran wrote:

>that I belong to a pretty progressive church, in which
Pridefest is announced
>from the pulpit, gay couples are welcomed and a bishop
from a neighboring
>diocese held a book signing at Giovanni's Room (it was
a book about his trial

Yay Giovanni's Room! (it's just great running into things
in your neighborhood online)

This is way OT, but as the home of the reconstructionist
rabbinical college, Philadelphia is also a hotbed of
liberal Judaism (yes, I know lots of Jews are liberal,
but this is like really institutionalized liberalism).
Not to proselytize [thanks to the spell checker in my
new webmail for that one] (this is such a weird thread),
but reconstructionism rocks. We have a gay reconstructionist
Rabbi at Swarthmore.

Free web based e-mail with Pop access at http://www.newmail.net

Julie Levin Russo

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden (TNG, P/m,
NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:45:48 Gmt +2:00

Judygran

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the Garden (TNG, P/m,
NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
25 Jan 1999 07:49:28 GMT
From:
judy...@aol.com (Judygran)

To:
as...@earthlink.net
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

Julie, we must talk. You wrote,

>This is way OT, but as the home of the reconstructionist
>rabbinical college, Philadelphia is also a hotbed of

>liberal Judaism <snip> We have a gay reconstructionist
>Rabbi at Swarthmore.

We MUST talk. We have a small incipient group of mid-Atlantic ASCEM-ers that I
hope you will enjoy. It sounds as though you are a VERY like-minded person.

I will be away for the next couple of weeks (trial, conference etc.) but will
be available by e-mail. My home phone is (215) 567-2918, work (215) 627-7100
ext. 225. Call, write, send smoke signals; I hope we can get together.

Judith Gran

Nice

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Re: [ASCEML] Re: Slash and Religion (was Re: NEW: Picard in the

Garden (TNG, P/m, NR-ish 2/2))
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:18:34 -0700
From:
"Nice" <no_...@usa.net>
To:
<as...@earthlink.net>

little dangerous spreading your phone around???\

some one can track you down

Interested in the ASCEM(L) Round Robin? There's still time!
Write to eres...@cyberg8t.com and ask to be put on the list!!

Posting to ASCEM is easy: send your messages to <as...@earthlink.net>

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/ASCEML