Writers Block and Killing Time

1 view

Jin Katkin

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Re: [ASCEML] Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:16:14 PDT
From:
Jin Katkin <merlin...@hotmail.com>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

傭ut I don't know about that clam chowder
-- is it red or white?
Fizzbin

White. Clam chowder is white.
And you are one of the lucky few, damn your eyes (do entities have
eyes?).
In the second edition, the wrestling becomes a rough shove, and Richardson
calls everybody 'Juliet.'
Jin

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Posting to ASCEM is easy: send your messages to <as...@earthlink.net>

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/ASCEML

Dr. Amy Sheldon

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:54:16 -0500
From:
"Dr. Amy Sheldon" <ashe...@gulftel.com>
To:
<as...@earthlink.net>

>In the second edition, the wrestling becomes a rough shove, and Richardson
>calls everybody 'Juliet.'
> Jin

Hmmm, that's funny. I've got the first addition, but Richardson calls
everyone 'Juliet'.
Omega, borrowing Gran's account. Mail me at
alisas...@hotmail.com

Fizzbin

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.isc.org
From:
Fizzbin <fiz...@my-deja.com>
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:02:30 GMT

In article <376dfe57...@news.mindspring.com>,
Omega <alisas...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >In the second edition, the wrestling becomes a rough shove, and
Richardson
> >calls everybody 'Juliet.'
> > Jin
>
> Hmmm, that's funny. I've got the first addition, but Richardson calls
> everyone 'Juliet'.

Okay, then I'm just reading more into that character
that was actually there -- or remembering more. It
*has* been a long time since I read it. I do distinctly
recall, however, Richardson and Kirk lounging around in
a pool of water while marooned on that planet -- and Kirk
"feeling the heat" of Spock going into pon farr.

I also remember there being some appalling glitches in
that book -- such as Spock wearing a "wrist chronometer"!
Hrumpf! As if Spock *ever* needed a watch!

I've also wondered if "Della Van Hise" ever wrote anything
else in the Trekiverse. There was something about that
writing that reminded me of Marshak and Culbreath -- but
that could just be the high degree of UST and angst.

I think I'll drag it out and reread it next weekend.

--
Fizzbin
fiz...@my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

T'Rhys

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@uunet.uu.net
From:
tkn...@ix.netcom.com (T'Rhys)
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:10:50 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:11:16 -0400, Jin Katkin
<merlin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Re: [ASCEML] Writers Block and Killing Time
>
>--but I don't know about that clam chowder

>-- is it red or white?
>Fizzbin
>
> White. Clam chowder is white.

New England style is white, Manhattan style is made with tomato and is
red.

LL&P
T'Rhys

User

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:47:43 -0400
From:
User <bry...@earthlink.net>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Re: Writers Block and Killing Time

To whom it may concern,

There is another Trek novel, called "Dwellers In The Crucible", by an
author I can't remember, which was very slashy. The main characters were a
Vulcan and Human woman, and their growing t'hy'la (read friendship/love).
It also contains a bit of Kirk/Spock in that it shows by their example how
the two women can indeed become friends.

Also, there is an excellent novel with McCoy as the lead character, called
"Doctor's Orders", by Diane Duane.. It's not slashy, but a great example
of McCoy being his surly, cantankerous self after Kirk sticks him with
command of the ship, then conveniently disappears on a planet they are
investigating. The one-liners from McCoy throughout the novel are
priceless (especially now). I recommend them both highly.

Bryguy

--

And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling cloud of vengeance.

The house of the unbelievers shall be razed and they shall be scorched to
the earth. Their tags shall blink until the end of days.

from The Book of Mozilla, 12:10

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.isc.org
From:
Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
21 Jun 1999 23:34:50 -0400

> From: tkn...@ix.netcom.com (T'Rhys)
>
> On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:11:16 -0400, Jin Katkin
> <merlin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Re: [ASCEML] Writers Block and Killing Time
> >
> >--but I don't know about that clam chowder
> >-- is it red or white?
> >Fizzbin
> >
> > White. Clam chowder is white.
>
> New England style is white, Manhattan style is made with tomato and is
> red.

You forgot Rhode Island clam chowder, which is pink.

--laura

Robin Lawrie

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
From:
"Robin Lawrie" <rob...@s054.aone.net.au>
To:
"ascem" <as...@earthlink.net>

Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:06:52 +1000

T'Rhys writes:

> New England style is white, Manhattan style is made with tomato and is
> red.

<shakes head> I'm with Fizzbin on this one. IMHO Manhattan people must be
kinky sicko perverts to have *RED* clam chowder. I feel sorry for them. How
could they tell their clam chowder from their lobster bisque? Everyone knows
lobster bisque is a pinky rich reddy colour, with a dollop of cream swirled in
the centre.

Damn. I'm really hungry now. Hmmm.... yup! I think perhaps it's time to make
red capsicum pesto and bow tie pasta. And some fresh crusty bread.

Robin
still gloating over a new purchase

cha...@watervalley.net

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99

>> >--but I don't know about that clam chowder
>> >-- is it red or white?
>> >Fizzbin
>> >
>> > White. Clam chowder is white.

>T'Rhys writes:
>>
>> New England style is white, Manhattan style is made with tomato and is
>> red.
>>
><shakes head> I'm with Fizzbin on this one. IMHO Manhattan people must be
>kinky sicko perverts to have *RED* clam chowder. I feel sorry for them. How
>could they tell their clam chowder from their lobster bisque? Everyone knows
>lobster bisque is a pinky rich reddy colour, with a dollop of cream swirled in
>the centre.

Did you know that in some states it is illegal to put tomatoes in your chowder?

In my opinion it should be a hanging offence. That and red BBQ sauce.

>Damn. I'm really hungry now. Hmmm.... yup! I think perhaps it's time to make
>red capsicum pesto and bow tie pasta. And some fresh crusty bread.

>Robin
>still gloating over a new purchase

Oh well, you eat your pesto while I think about that Rhode Island
Cardie Cum Pink Chowder or CHOWDAH CHOWDAH CHOWDAH
as a certain Fuh-Qer would call it.

Heh heh,

Jen, a Nawth K'linian who knows what REAL FOOD tastes like

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Date:
22 Jun 1999 11:46:07 -0400

From:

<cha...@watervalley.net>)

> Also, there is an excellent novel with McCoy as the lead character, called
> "Doctor's Orders", by Diane Duane.. It's not slashy, but a great example
> of McCoy being his surly, cantankerous self after Kirk sticks him with
> command of the ship, then conveniently disappears on a planet they are
> investigating. The one-liners from McCoy throughout the novel are
> priceless (especially now). I recommend them both highly.

"Doctor's Orders" had me rolling on the floor, especially when McCoy
tries to make the enemy commander think he's crazy.

--laura

AKite...@aol.com

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
From:
AKite...@aol.com
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:09:46 EDT

Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
To:
as...@earthlink.net

In a message dated 6/21/99 9:25:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
fiz...@my-deja.com writes:

> I've also wondered if "Della Van Hise" ever wrote anything
> else in the Trekiverse. There was something about that
> writing that reminded me of Marshak and Culbreath -- but
> that could just be the high degree of UST and angst.

You'll probably get a bunch of replies, but I thought I'd step
out of lurkdom and answer since I don't see any replies in this
batch. Yes, Fizzbin, Della wrote/writes (?) K/S under a
pseudonym. I have several zines with stories she wrote. Most
of them are angstfests. <g> She also edited and published
several K/S zines in the 80's and early 90's. I'm not up on
what's going on in the K/S zine world these days as my
interest has moved on.

A. Kite

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
23 Jun 1999 09:13:13 -0400

From:
Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

> From: cha...@watervalley.net
>
> Oh well, you eat your pesto while I think about that Rhode Island
> Cardie Cum Pink Chowder or CHOWDAH CHOWDAH CHOWDAH
> as a certain Fuh-Qer would call it.

CHOWDAH CHOWDAH CHOWDAH!!

Mmmm. Now I want clam chowdah.

--laura

SAMK

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: [ASCEML] Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:43:50 -0500
From:
SAMK <sa...@inil.com>
To:
ASCEM <as...@earthlink.net>

Jen wrote:

> Did you know that in some states it is illegal to put tomatoes in your
> chowder?

Everything can be improved with tomatoes.

> In my opinion it should be a hanging offence. That and red BBQ sauce.

Out of idle curiosity, what color do you think BBQ sauce *should* be?

SAMK
sa...@inil.com

Wildcat

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:00:18 -0400
From:
Wildcat <wildc...@yahoo.com>
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.uu.net
CC:
jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:

> "Doctor's Orders" had me rolling on the floor, especially when McCoy
> tries to make the enemy commander think he's crazy.

For some reason, this is the only ST book that I ever finished and
tossed directly into the trash. I can't even remember why I didn't like
it, although it was bound to have something to do with the portrayal of
Spock. Being a fellow Spockologist, what did you think about Spock's
part in the book? I wish now that I still had it, because a number of
people have commented on it and I'd like to try it again. Maybe I can
find it at the library.

Wildcat

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
24 Jun 1999 08:50:22 -0400

From:
Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:
wildc...@yahoo.com, as...@earthlink.net

> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:00:18 -0400
> From: Wildcat <wildc...@yahoo.com>

> Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated
> CC: jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu

> Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:
>
> > "Doctor's Orders" had me rolling on the floor, especially when McCoy
> > tries to make the enemy commander think he's crazy.
>
> For some reason, this is the only ST book that I ever finished and
> tossed directly into the trash. I can't even remember why I didn't like
> it, although it was bound to have something to do with the portrayal of
> Spock. Being a fellow Spockologist, what did you think about Spock's
> part in the book? I wish now that I still had it, because a number of
> people have commented on it and I'd like to try it again. Maybe I can
> find it at the library.

You know, what's interesting is that I don't even *remember* Spock's
part in the book. Not at all, except for him commenting on McCoy's
tactics at one point.

How peculiar.

--laura

Arachnethe2

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:13:08 +0200
From:
Arachnethe2 <Arach...@darmstadt.netsurf.de>
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups:

Wildcat schrieb:

> Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:
>
> > "Doctor's Orders" had me rolling on the floor, especially when McCoy
> > tries to make the enemy commander think he's crazy.
>
> For some reason, this is the only ST book that I ever finished and
> tossed directly into the trash. I can't even remember why I didn't like
> it, although it was bound to have something to do with the portrayal of
> Spock. Being a fellow Spockologist, what did you think about Spock's
> part in the book? I wish now that I still had it, because a number of
> people have commented on it and I'd like to try it again. Maybe I can
> find it at the library.
>

> Wildcat

Well, 'Doctor's Orders' has been the first book, I ever read in english.
And I loved it from the beginning to the end. Perhaps, Wildcat, you should
see it so:
this book is about McCoy and not about Spock. So Spock's character have not
to be so dominant throroug the story. I think, then you can see it whole
from another
perspective.

Sometimes it is so, that the book doesn't fullfil, what a title is
promissing.
If I'm thinking about the book 'Sarek' from A.C.Crispin, I come still, to
the conclusion, that the book wasn't entirely about, what after the title
should bee.

A.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

User

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:34:14 -0400
From:
User <bry...@earthlink.net>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Laura,

Spock's part in this one was admittedly small. The main characters were McCoy
and Kirk, although they didn't relate with each other much except for the
beginning and end. I felt Spock was an excellent foil for McCoy's ranting,
myself, and I don't recall any actual slight or error in his character. I'm
curious if anyone else did?

Bryguy

--

And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling cloud of vengeance.
The house of the unbelievers shall be razed and they shall be scorched to
the earth. Their tags shall blink until the end of days.

from The Book of Mozilla, 12:10

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Laura Jacquez Valentine

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Date:
26 Jun 1999 14:42:19 -0400

From:
Laura Jacquez Valentine <jacq...@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Re: Writers Block and Killing Time

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:17:35 -0700
> From: User <bry...@earthlink.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated
> CC: asc...@onelist.com
>
> From: User <bry...@earthlink.net>
>
> (A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
> alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated)

> Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
> Date:
> Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:34:14 -0400
> From:
> User <bry...@earthlink.net>
> To:
> as...@earthlink.net
>

> Laura,
>
> Spock's part in this one was admittedly small. The main characters were McCoy
> and Kirk, although they didn't relate with each other much except for the
> beginning and end. I felt Spock was an excellent foil for McCoy's ranting,
> myself, and I don't recall any actual slight or error in his character. I'm
> curious if anyone else did?
>
> Bryguy

Like I said, I don't remember his role in it much. I'm inclined to give
Duane the benefit of...well, not of the doubt, since I know she usually
writes him well.

I have to admit she writes McCoy better than she writes Spock, though.
I think she has our Len dead to rights.

--laura

Annoying Book of the Day: _Bachelor Cowboy_ by Patricia Knoll. This
piece of Harlequin drivel was given to my boyfriend by my
swears-he's-not-gay best friend, for his birthday. Hello? Is this
crap, or what? Tripe, tripe, tripe. Rugged, gorgeous stubborn bitter
cowboy falls for beautiful, bosomy, water management expert after she
helps him take care of a baby! How come my bitter "cowboy" isn't rugged
or gorgeous or taking care of babies, hmm? This never happens!
Gorgeous bitter cowboys do not take in their little sister's two-month
old babies in my world, not when they have a RANCH TO RUN FOR GOD'S
SAKE.

Vana...@aol.com

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
From:
Vana...@aol.com
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:41:10 EDT

Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
To:
as...@earthlink.net

> > Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:

> > > "Doctor's Orders" had me rolling on the floor, especially when McCoy
> > > tries to make the enemy commander think he's crazy.

> > Wildcat wrote:

> > For some reason, this is the only ST book that I ever finished and
> > tossed directly into the trash. I can't even remember why I didn't like
> > it, although it was bound to have something to do with the portrayal of
> > Spock. Being a fellow Spockologist, what did you think about Spock's
> > part in the book? I wish now that I still had it, because a number of
> > people have commented on it and I'd like to try it again. Maybe I can
> > find it at the library.
> >

> Laura again:

> You know, what's interesting is that I don't even *remember* Spock's
> part in the book. Not at all, except for him commenting on McCoy's
> tactics at one point.
>
> How peculiar.

Forgive me that I jump into your conversation, but I just finished reading
"Doctor愀 Orders" for the very first time, and my first reaction to Wildcat愀
comment was: "Spock?? Was he even there in that book?"

It愀 a book really about McCoy (and a bit Kirk), so if you愉e searching for
Spock you won愒 like it. But if you like McCoy, you will stay with Laura愀
first comment.

And, BTW, I really *liked* those aliens.

Vanasati
(who is now reading "The faded sun...")

Wildcat

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
To:
alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.uu.net
From:
Wildcat <wildc...@yahoo.com>
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:11:10 -0400

Arachnethe2 wrote:

> Well, 'Doctor's Orders' has been the first book, I ever read in english.
> And I loved it from the beginning to the end. Perhaps, Wildcat, you should
> see it so:
> this book is about McCoy and not about Spock. So Spock's character have not
> to be so dominant throroug the story. I think, then you can see it whole
> from another
> perspective.

Actually, I don't remember Spock's role--I just figured that if I didn't
like it, it HAD to have something to do with Spock. <g> Now that I've
thought about it, I do vaguely remember that the characters seemed
"off," but for the life of me I don't remember who or why. I definitely
need to give it another try.

Wildcat

Elena Coppel

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Re: Writers Block and Killing Time
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:13:11 +1000 (EST)
From:
Elena Coppel <e.co...@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Laura Jacquez Valentine wrote:

> You know, what's interesting is that I don't even *remember* Spock's
> part in the book. Not at all, except for him commenting on McCoy's
> tactics at one point.
>
> How peculiar.
>

> --laura

<delurk>
Oooh, I *loved* this book! I love all Diane Duane's Star Trek books (I
have My Enemy My Ally by my bed for when have a bad dream and need
comforting) but this one is the one I'd Most Rather Discuss on ASCEM.
*Did* anyone else see a slashy subtext in Doctor McCoy and his friend
(drat, I've forgottten his name) with whom he goes on shore leave?

Katisha, jumping in - for all I know, that was how this discussion
started.

YKYBRTMTS when you see a book about the South Pacific and immediately
wonder whether that's more like fanfic or profic *and you live in
Australia* .