Why Write Jake Sisko Slash?

Slas...@aol.com

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Subject:
Why Write Jake Sisko Slash?
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:24:56 EST
From:
Slas...@aol.com
To:
as...@earthlink.com

#1Jake/
Number One Jake Slash Site now open

http://members.aol.com/slashjake/jako.html

Please come have a look and ENJOY!

Why write slash about Jake?

By Nathan Foster.

Jake Sisko, son of Benjamin Sisko the Commaning officer
of Deep Space, is a highly under-rated slash character in
the fan fiction genre. His place on DS9, his looks and
character all give him exactly what he needs to become a
fixture in the archives of alt.startrek.
creative.erotica.moderated, just as much as Julian Bashir
and Elim Garak. So let's have a look at the things which
make Jake such a cool slash guy.

First of all there is his position on DS9. Like all the
characters there Jake is involved in a huge subsection of
Star Trek events and politics. DS9 being the darkest of
the three modern series gives an edge to all the slash
that is set there and Jake is in the middle of it all.
Jake is often present at some of the most startling
moments of the programs ongoing plot: he is present with
his father, Nog and Quark when they are the first
Federation citizens to meet the Jem'Hadar, he is left
behind on the station during the Cardassian
occupation,and he is taken over by The Evil One of
Bajoran ledgend. Jake is always there at the center of
things. What's more, in his adult life he is a writer,
and there is nothing more satisfying for one writer than
to write about another, how better to get into the
character than to share this passion with the person you
are writing about. DS9 also presents, more than any
other series a cosmopolitan sense of diversity and
lifestyle alternatives. Not as drilled and clean cut as
the crew of a starship, nor a focussed on a mission or
specific Federation objective, there is plenty of scope
for non-human interaction. Some of the best slash
fiction ever has been where the writer has obviously
enjoyed playing with the possibilities of alien love-
making.

Jake's character is heaven sent for the slash writer. We
see him from the age of fourteen at the beginning of the
series through to his young manhood, watch him mature and
grow, and in that alone there is a pile of material
awaiting the writer. The coming of age story, the coming
out story, the teenage experimentation and teenager in
trouble stories, all of these could easily be written
about Jake. He is a vulnerable character, wrestling with
his father's expectations of him and not wanting to
become a Starfleet officer, tracing his own nervous
course towards becoming a writer instead. His
vulnerability is reflected in his stature and build, tall
and thin but with boyish beauty transforming slowly
through the series into a handsome face and loosing much
of the adolescent gawkiness. He is troubled by what he
sees as his failure in the face of war and violence (DS9
'Nor the battle to the brave'). All in all this
vulnerability not to mention the people he is surrounded
by on the station leaves him open to that venerable
institution in slash fiction of the hurt/comfort story,
(or the perhaps more venerable but less tasteful rape
story.)

On the subject of the people by whom he is surrounded we
find a vast number of potential pairings on DS9 including
Jake. We have watched his friendship with the young
Ferengi, Nog, grow and develop, much room there, already
exploited by some, for sexual or intimate adventuring.
His father, the one who hugs and kisses him all the time
might, to the eyes of a slash writer, seem to be inches
away from a incestuous relationship with him. Dr Bahir,
too often and, in a monotonous way, paired with Garak,
might equally become the kind of person who would strike
up a friendship, if an awkward one, with the young man.
Or perhaps Bashir is capable of exploitation, as in the
story, "Bashir, Medial Head." Odo always provides an
interesting sexual scenario and has spent a great deal of
the series chastising Nog and Jake about their mischief;
what if he were to take that chastisement a step further.
The Cardassians too are an ever present threat on and
around DS9, there are times when Jake is alone among
Cardassians both on the station and off. And the Vorta
and Jem'Hadar, capable handling of the writing might be
necessary but think of the possibilities in those two
races meeting with Jake in unsalubrious surroundings. I
was glad to see that this had indeed occurred to Jackie
Barns in her short but exciting story, "Interview With A
Vorta."

In summary, Jake offers the slash writer more flexibility
than many other Star Trek characters, is not over-done as
a character, has far more depth than the only other
comparable character, Wesley Crusher, and is gorgeous
into the bargain.

Star Trek slashers everywhere, please turn a pen or two
to the young Jake Sisko.

#1Jake/
Number One Jake Slash Site now open

http://members.aol.com/slashjake/jako.html

Please come have a look and ENJOY!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Remember to vote in the '98 Golden Orgasms: http://www.blimpht.com/go98/
Send all voting forms to <go...@blimpht.com> and *NOT* the newsgroup!

Posting to ASCEM is easy: send your messages to <as...@earthlink.net>

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/ASCEML