NEW: In re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D., TOS, K/f, ?/M, ?/M {PG-13], 1/1

1 view

Judygran

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

From: Judygran [mailto:judy...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 11:03 PM
To: asc...@trekfiction.net; Judy...@aol.com; Ista...@aol.com
Subject: NEW: In re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D., TOS, K/f, ?/M,
?/M {PG-13], 1/1

My latest in the "McCoy as therapist/supervisor of therapy" debate.

Title: In Re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D.
Author: Judith Gran, Judy...@aol.com
Series: TOS
Part: 1/1
Rating: PG-13 (just to be safe)
Codes: K/f, possible relationships with McCoy
Archive: ASC/EM OK, anywhere else please ask.

Disclaimer: Vast borrowing from the American Psychological Association and
licensing statutes. No intent to infringe any copyrights in Star Trek; this is
fair use.

UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS
BOARD OF PSYCHOLOGIST EXAMINERS

TO: Leonard H. McCoy, M.D., Chief Medical
Officer, U.S.S. Enterprise

SUBJECT: Report of Investigation, Findings and
Recommendations -- Helen Noel, Ph.D.

I am writing to inform you of our findings and
recommendations concerning the alleged misconduct of Dr.
Helen Noel, a member of your staff whom you apparently
supervise. As you will recall, we received an anonymous
complaint charging that Dr. Noel had engaged in the
following violations of the Standards for Providers of
Psychological Services of the Federation Psychological
Association.

1. Initiating a technique or modality of therapy,
namely, the so-called "neural neutralizer," that was outside
her demonstrated scope of education, training, supervised
experience or appropriate professional experience, in
violation of Standard 1.04, "Boundaries of Competence."

2. Attempting to apply a new technique, i.e. the
neural neutralizer, without first undertaking appropriate
study, training, supervision, and/or consultation from persons
who are competent in that area or technique, also in
violation of Standard 1.04.

3. Experimenting with the neural neutralizer on a
human subject, i.e. Captain James T. Kirk, in violation of the
Ethical Principles in the Conduct of Research With Human
Participants.

4.. Making statements and actions during the course
of therapy (i.e. during application of the neural neutralizer)
suggesting or inviting the possibility of a post-termination
sexual or romantic relationship with the patient or client, in
violation of Standard 4.07, " Sexual Intimacies With Former
Therapy Patients."

5. Providing therapy, namely, the "neural
neutralizer," to a person with whom she previously had
engaged in sexual intimacies, in violation of Standard 4.06,
Therapy With Former Sexual Partners.

Our investigation substantiated the first four of these
allegations; the fifth could not be substantiated, due to
conflicting interpretations of the evidence. We therefore are
suspending Dr. Noel's license for committing immoral or
unprofessional conduct including the departure from and
failure to conform to the standards of acceptable and
prevailing psychological practice, in violation of 63 Fed.
C.S.A. § 1208. Dr. Noel is entitled to a hearing before the
Board of Psychologist Examiners; if she chooses to exercise
her right to a hearing, she should proceed immediately to the
nearest Federation outpost, where arrangements will be
made to convene a hearing board.

Unfortunately, our investigation revealed more
systemic problems in the practice of psychology, particularly
clinical psychology, within your department. Those
deficiencies must be corrected as soon as possible. By copy
of this memo, we are notifying your commanding officer,
Captain James T. Kirk, and his superiors at Starfleet
Command. If this matter cannot be resolved, the Board will
be compelled to initiate proceedings to bar the unauthorized
and improper practice of clinical psychology on board the
U.S.S. Enterprise.

Specifically, we have found that by allowing the
practice of clinical psychology without the supervision of a
professional clinical psychologist, your supervisory and
administrative arrangements violate the Specialty Guidelines
for the Delivery of Services by Clinical Psychologists. As I'm
sure you appreciate, professional psychology in general and
clinical psychology as a specialty have labored long and
diligently to codify a uniform set of guidelines for the
delivery of services by clinical psychologists that would serve
the respective needs of users, providers, third-party
purchasers, and sanctioners of psychological services. The
result is a uniform set of Specialty Guidelines that governs
clinical psychological services, regardless of setting or form
of remuneration. We cannot emphasize too strongly that
Starfleet personnel are *not* exempt from these Guidelines.

We note first that although Dr. Helen Noel has a
Ph.D. in psychology, she is a research psychologist, not a
clinical psychologist. She is therefore unqualified to provide
clinical psychology *except* under the supervision of a
professional clinical psychologist. A professional clinical
psychologist is a person trained in an accredited, properly
sequenced doctoral program in clinical psychology to
perform interventions directed at identifying and correcting
the emotional conflicts, personality disturbances, and skill
deficits underlying a person's distress and/or dysfunction
including, but not limited to, psychotherapy, psychoanalysis,
behavior therapy, marital and family therapy, group
psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, social-learning approaches,
biofeedback techniques, and environmental consultation and
design.

Apparently you are Dr. Noel's direct supervisor, yet
you are not a professional clinical psychologist but a
physician practicing general medicine and surgery. You plainly
lack the requisite doctoral degree in clinical psychology to
supervise persons such as Dr. Noel.

It appears, therefore, that you have violated
Guideline 1.2, which requires that "Providers of clinical
psychological services who do not meet the requirements for
the professional clinical psychologist are supervised directly
by a professional clinical psychologist who assumes
professional responsibility and accountability for the services
provided." According to our Guidelines, "[u]ltimate
professional responsibility and accountability for [clinical
psychology] services ... require that the supervisor review
and approve reports and test protocols, review and approve
intervention plans and strategies, and review outcomes."
You are neither qualified to do this with your staff, nor did
you do it during the incident in which Dr. Noel used the
neural neutralizer on Captain Kirk.

We are confident that if a qualified clinical
psychologist had taken responsibility for reviewing and
approving use of the neural neutralizer on Captain Kirk
before Dr. Noel initiated this intervention, the harm he
experienced would not have occurred. What befell Captain
Kirk, therefore, is directly attributable to the inadequate
supervision provided to psychologists on board the
Enterprise and to your own administrative arrangements.

We remind you that Guideline 1.3 requires that in any
administrative unit in which clinical psychology services are
provided, "a professional clinical psychologist is responsible
for planning, directing, and reviewing the provision of
clinical psychological services. Whenever the clinical
psychological service unit is part of a larger professional
psychological service encompassing various psychological
specialties, a professional psychologist is the administrative
head of the service." Obviously, this is not the arrangement
on the U.S.S. Enterprise.

The supervising clinical psychologist is also
responsible for recruiting qualified staff, directing training
and research activities of the service, maintaining a high level
of professional and ethical practice, and ensuring that staff
members function only within the areas of their competency.
Obviously, you do not have the professional credentials to
perform these responsibilities, and once again, it is plain that
this deficiency contributed significantly to the unprofessional
conduct exhibited by Dr. Noel and the resultant harm
to Captain Kirk.

We should add that during the course of our
investigation we encountered the impression among many
crew members of the U.S.S. Enterprise that you yourself are
providing clinical psychology services to members of the
crew, in particular to the Captain and the First Officer. If
true, it would constitute the unauthorized and unqualified
practice of clinical psychology, in violation of Guideline 1.1,
and you must cease such activities immediately. I must
advise you of the strong possibility that your own
unauthorized practice of clinical psychology will become the
object of a separate inquiry and will result in charges brought
by the Board.

I must add that if, as many of our informants have
suggested, you are engaged in an intimate relationship with
Commander Spock or Captain Kirk or both, the
unprofessional and unethical behavior set forth above would
be greatly compounded. See Standards 4.06 and 4.07, supra.

I recognize that Standard 1.17, "Multiple
Relationships," may indeed describe the situation that
prevails on the Enterprise. Nevertheless, the Standards
still require psychologists in such situations to avoid
entering into relationships with other persons if it might
impair the psychologist's objectivity.

"a green-blooded, pointy-eared son of the Devil," I can only
repeat my previous statement that the identity of anonymous
complainants is protected by law. However, I am referring
your statement to the Federation Office of Civil Rights to
determine whether it constitutes discrimination on the basis
of species.

In sum, we request that you take the following
actions:

1. Relieve Dr. Helen Noel of all duties as a
psychologist, effective immediately.

2. Eliminate the unauthorized and unsupervised
practice of psychotherapy on board the Enterprise, effective
immediately.

3. Since it is clear that the pressures of deep space duty
create a significant need for psychotherapy treatment on
your starship, it is imperative that Starfleet recruit a
qualified professional clinical psychologist to supervise
the practice of clinical psychology on board the Enterprise,
beginning as soon as possible.

/end transmission/

Dr Trekker

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Re: NEW: In re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D., TOS,

K/f, ?/M, ?/M {PG-13], 1/1
Date:
01 Oct 1999 03:20:01 GMT
From:
drtr...@aol.comdamnspam (Dr Trekker)
To:
<alt-startrek-creati...@moderators.isc.org>
Newsgroups:
alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated

Judygran judy...@aol.com wrote on
Thu, 30 September 1999 08:38 PM EDT:

>2. Eliminate the unauthorized and unsupervised
>practice of psychotherapy on board the Enterprise, effective
>immediately.

Are you a J.D. Ph.D.? If not, how do you know so much about the nuances of
psychology practice and ethics? I'm just an old country psychologist myself.

Out of curiosity, which state's licensing laws did you draw from?

I've been wanting to blast McCoy for practicing outside of his competency for a
long, long time.

Dr Trekker

"Alors, nous sommes presques frères"

Latifah

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Re: [ASCEML] NEW: In re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D.,

TOS, K/f, ?/M, ?/M {PG-13],
1/1
Date:
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:20:26 +0800
From:
"Latifah " <haf...@graffiti.net>
To:
Judygran <judy...@aol.com>
CC:
as...@earthlink.net

> Title: In Re Psychologist's License of Helen Noel, Ph.D.
> Author: Judith Gran, Judy...@aol.com
> Series: TOS
> Part: 1/1
> Rating: PG-13 (just to be safe)
> Codes: K/f, possible relationships with McCoy
> Archive: ASC/EM OK, anywhere else please ask.

Thank You Judy for this.

I'm glad my little question ispired this very interesting debate. I hope you're
doing more with this topic. I think I read that Istannor is intending another Mc
response. <grin>

hafital