Writers on Writing

ms. julie levin russo

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Re: Re: Writers on Writing
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 02:02:17 -0400
From:
"ms. julie levin russo" <jul...@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
To:
as...@earthlink.net

> Greywolf the Wanderer, who laughs at Mr. O and his petty little bitch-fights.

I have no knowledge of the post(s) that began this thread. But I will jump
in cold and defend fan fiction any time. I would laugh too, and then laud
the virtues of treksmut through some brilliant statement of cultural
theory, perhaps along the lines of:

(Marxism) Treksmut turns the capitalist power structures that control the
production of cultural artifacts on their head!
(queer theory) Treksmut refigures the dominant sexual norms to celebrate
transgressive possibilities!
(semiotics) Treksmut creates entirely new ways of structuring text and meaning!

In short, fan fiction is one of the last bastions of genuine resistance to
the dastardly forces of global econo-social conformity and control, whereas
pro-fic is just whoring yourself out to the Man!

Which one is cooler now, Mr. O?

I have come across only one scholarly paper about treksmut on the web,
about a Borg boyslash zine (rather esoteric no?)--it's found at
http://www.dds.nl/~n5m/texts/markdery.htm. I have yet to embark on any
serious research into what's been written about fan fiction, but I know
there is stuff out there--I'll get around to it sometime during my
education. If I ever write any papers about treksmut, I'll let y'all know.

jules,
meditating on our existence yet again