Canceled: Legendary Hockey Announcer Fired For Telling Immigrants To ... Buy A Poppy To Honor Fallen Canadian Soldiers

Leroy N. Soetoro

Nov 14, 2019, 3:13:42 PM11/14/19
https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2019/11/11/canceled-legendary-
hockey-announcer-fired-telling-immigrants-buy-poppy-honor-fallen-canadian-
soldiers/

I do mean “legendary.” Even I’ve heard of Don Cherry, and I only watch the
sport when Team USA’s playing an elimination game at the Winter Olympics.

He’s 85 years old, an institution of hockey broadcasting, and known for
being “colorful.” (Literally.) You would think he’d need to go waaaaay
over the line for his network to dump him unceremoniously for crimes
against wokeness.

But you would be wrong. Here’s what ended a 34-year career:

Tom Elliott
@tomselliott
Comment that got Don Cherry fired:

“People ... come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love
our milk & honey. At least you can pay a couple of bucks for poppies ..
These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys
pay the biggest price."

Embedded video
2,097
12:38 PM - Nov 11, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,051 people are talking about this
What?

Believe it, says Sportsnet:

Sportsnet PR
?
@SportsnetPR
Statement from Sportsnet:

View image on Twitter
6,108
12:06 PM - Nov 11, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
5,433 people are talking about this
Was it the phrase “you people” that sunk him? He’s pleading for
assimilation but undercutting his own point by treating Canadian
immigrants as separate and apart, a distinct people that needs to get with
the cultural program.

But he’s doing it in service to an honorable cause, showing respect for
the sacrifices of Canada’s fallen. And he is, after all, encouraging them
to assimilate, not harrumphing that they don’t belong or should be forced
to leave.

This is not a firing offense. Worthy of a reprimand, perhaps: “Only off-
the-rack black or blue blazers for the season, Don.” But not termination.

The truly Orwellian flourish was getting his broadcasting partner, Ron
MacLean, to denounce himself for having stood silently and even flashed a
thumbs-up after Cherry’s rant. I haven’t seen an apology like this since
Kevin Kline hung John Cleese out a window:

“During last night’s broadcast, Don made comments that were hurtful and
prejudiced and I wish I had handled myself differently,” he tweeted. “It
was a divisive moment and I am truly upset with myself for allowing it.

“I have worked with Don for 30 years, and we both love hockey. But last
night, I know we failed you. I see hockey as part of what unites us. I
have the honour of travelling across our country to celebrate Canada’s
game, and our diversity is one of our country’s greatest strengths.”

Cherry is reportedly “quite hurt they would do this on Remembrance Day of
all days.” Poor guy. If only he’d done something more innocuous, like
repeatedly wearing blackface as an adult, he’d have qualified to earn the
support of millions of Canadian liberals who are happy to see him booted
off the air today.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The Obama-led Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
approved Uranium One in fall 2010. With a little luck, we'll see
compulsive liar Hillary Clinton in jail before she dies.

The World According To Garp.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.

Dutch

Nov 14, 2019, 9:17:18 PM11/14/19
On 2019-11-14 12:13 p.m., Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
<snip>

You had me up until that "no collusion" bullshit. What are you, brain
damaged? The Trump campaign was All Collusion, All the Time, and it
never ended. The Ukraine shakedown was more collusion, even worse than
the Russia stuff.

Cherry's mistake was singling out immigrants, plenty of Canadians ignore
veterans day.