Canadian hockey analyst Don Cherry fired over anti-immigrant comments

Leroy N. Soetoro

Nov 12, 2019, 7:37:29 PM11/12/19
https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/don-cherry-sportsnet-fired-immigrants-
hockey

Canada’s Sportsnet fired legendary hockey broadcaster and analyst Don
Cherry on Monday, days after he sparked widespread outrage during a live
segment for accusing Canadian immigrants of failing to honor the country’s
fallen military veterans.

“Sports brings people together – it unites us, not divides us. Following
further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it
has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,”
Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement. “During the
broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or
what we stand for.”

A fixture on Canadian television for the last four decades, Cherry, 85,
hosted the “Coach’s Corner” segment on Sportsnet’s flagship program,
“Hockey Night in America.” Cherry’s show, which airs during the first
intermission of nightly hockey games, is the highest-rated programming on
Canadian television, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sportsnet holds the exclusive right to broadcast NHL games in Canada.
During his “Coach’s Corner” segment last Saturday night, Cherry said he
noticed immigrants were not wearing poppies to honor Canadian soldiers.

"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of
life, you love our milk and honey," Cherry said. "The least you could pay
is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay
for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest
price.”

Cherry faced immediate criticism for the remark. The NHL said his comments
were “offensive and contrary to the values we believe in,” while
Sportsnet’s Yabsley said Cherry’s “discriminatory comments are offensive
and they do not represent our values and what we stand for as a network.”

Cherry has yet to comment on his firing.

“Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing
the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his
contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada,” Yabsley added.

Comments:

Some people can't take the truth.
Share
Report
2 Likes
The moneymen..they deal in lies..,it's their agenda that matters, above
all else.
Share
Report
2 Likes
Ironically, the Left says "You People" all the time when referring to
anyone slightly to the right of Lenin.
Share
Report
5 Likes
He will be back even stronger, liberals will be beaten until the end of
time. Hopefully bobblehead Pelosi is gone by then
Share
Report
3 Likes

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The Obama-led Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
approved Uranium One in fall 2010. With a little luck, we'll see
compulsive liar Hillary Clinton in jail before she dies.

The World According To Garp.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.

M I Wakefield

Nov 12, 2019, 8:35:29 PM11/12/19
"Leroy N. Soetoro" wrote in message

> https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/don-cherry-sportsnet-fired-immigrants-hockey

> Canada’s Sportsnet fired legendary hockey broadcaster and analyst Don
> Cherry on Monday, days after he sparked widespread outrage during a live
> segment for accusing Canadian immigrants of failing to honor the country’s
> fallen military veterans.

Rogers has been bleeding cash on their hockey contract ... Cherry isn't the
first name to be sacked, but he may be the most expensive so far.