The Future

tack

Nov 5, 2022, 9:25:46 AM11/5/22
https://thehockeywriters.com/san-jose-sharks-future-at-crossroads/

Lots of fantasizing going on here, especially about the depth of the Sharks existing talent pool. Ironically, as poor as their existing record is now, it's mostly veterans who have carried the load. Yes, they need a full rebuild. Does ownership have the guts for it? History says no.

Mr. T

Nov 8, 2022, 11:33:46 AM11/8/22
On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 6:25:46 AM UTC-7, tack wrote:
> https://thehockeywriters.com/san-jose-sharks-future-at-crossroads/
>
> Lots of fantasizing going on here, especially about the depth of the Sharks existing talent pool. Ironically, as poor as their existing record is now, it's mostly veterans who have carried the load. Yes, they need a full rebuild. Does ownership have the guts for it? History says no.

I'll agree with him that the farm system looks better than it has in well over a decade. I'll agree with you that there is some serious fantasizing going on here.

"Assuming Thomas Bordeleau and William Eklund take the expected leaps..." Um, first, can't assume anything. Every team has prospects they hope to make huge leaps. Secondly, while Eklund is a top-end prospect to be sure, note the second guy he talks about is maybe being a git over-hyped. It's good news to have a guy like Bordeleau, who I would agree has a high likelihood of having a decent NHL career. To think he will be some sort of franchise-changer is maxxing out the projection pretty far though.

"Offensively, the Sharks look to be about two top-six forwards away from serious contention." *Serious contention*, like for a Cup? Are you kidding dude?! Contention for maybe squeaking into the playoffs if the division is terrible.

"Furthermore, many hefty contracts are due to expire just in time for their top prospects to be re-signed." I guess the did his homework on this. Not sure exactly and specifically who and what he is thinking of here, but last time I checked Sharks have many bad anchor contracts through 2026 and beyond.