The glacial process of finding a new Sharks GM

Mr. T

Jun 15, 2022, 1:11:43 PM6/15/22
I am going to be (overly?) cynical on this one. The fact that it will end up taking an eternity to find a new GM indicates the Sharks are now run by an inept bureaucracy, no standout GM wants to come dig the franchise out of the canyon-sized ditch DW dug, or both.

tack

Jun 16, 2022, 12:36:15 PM6/16/22
On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 1:11:43 PM UTC-4, Mr. T wrote:
> I am going to be (overly?) cynical on this one. The fact that it will end up taking an eternity to find a new GM indicates the Sharks are now run by an inept bureaucracy, no standout GM wants to come dig the franchise out of the canyon-sized ditch DW dug, or both.

The Sharks are owned by people who have not the slightest knowledge, or even real interest, in hockey. It's just an entertainment business for them. And, now that they have seen how screwed they are by the GM they trusted to know what he was doing, they're probably doubly gun shy on who to hire next, even if somebody wants the job. It'll be a very long road back, if they even come back.

Roy

Jun 19, 2022, 1:54:07 AM6/19/22
On 6/15/2022 10:11 AM, Mr. T wrote:
> I am going to be (overly?) cynical on this one. The fact that it will end up taking an eternity to find a new GM indicates the Sharks are now run by an inept bureaucracy, no standout GM wants to come dig the franchise out of the canyon-sized ditch DW dug, or both.

One important point. The season isn't over and the NHL has rules about
interviewing candidates from other teams for the coaching staff
positions. I suspect we won't hear anything until the cup has been
decided and the Sharks can get permission to talk to people from the cup
contenders.

tack

Jun 19, 2022, 11:53:54 AM6/19/22
If the Panthers are dumb enough to dump Brunette for some retread, he gets my vote for coach. Young, upcoming and will be interested to do well. These older guys are just playing out the string, pocketing big bucks, and they want contenders, anyway. It's useless for the Sharks to hire some "name" coach when they're 3-5 years from competing.

Roy

Jun 19, 2022, 7:04:47 PM6/19/22
I was thinking more of some promising assistant coach who is ready to
step up.

googz

Jun 20, 2022, 12:53:52 PM6/20/22
I'm not as cynical as you all as potential GM and Coach candidates might see this as an opportunity to really establish a name for themselves.

I agree. No GM can come in here and make an immediate impact given the current cap issues and ridiculous salaries. That said, I don't think you can expect that of any GM in any circumstance. The expectation would be for a GM to be given 3-5 years to execute his plan (get rid of karlson, vlasic, labanc and rebuild through the draft)

As for a coach, Bruce Cassidy or Brunette (agree with you) could have an immediate impact on team culture and systems. The only good team stat the Sharks have under Boughner is the penalty kill and everything else is average or piss poor. Even Constantine did more with a less talented roster.

tack

Jun 20, 2022, 2:44:14 PM6/20/22
Cassidy is already coaching our "favorite" team. :-) Besides, he's too established to be the patient upcomer we need for the Sharks. Brunette would be perfect, if Florida dumb enough to cut him loose.