Canes close to getting Burns

Mr. T

Jul 13, 2022, 12:22:21 PM7/13/22
If this happens, the question then becomes what they do with $15M cap space in free agency.

I think they will do the right thing. It's OK to get a couple short term guys who can help the team and spend some money. They won't be grabbing on to any more 7 year anchors.

Mr. T

Jul 13, 2022, 12:34:13 PM7/13/22
On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 9:22:21 AM UTC-7, Mr. T wrote:
> If this happens, the question then becomes what they do with $15M cap space in free agency.
>
> I think they will do the right thing. It's OK to get a couple short term guys who can help the team and spend some money. They won't be grabbing on to any more 7 year anchors.

I shouldn't put $15M. First off, I don't know the exact number, and secondly, presumably Sharks would eat some salary.

Mr. T

Jul 13, 2022, 12:42:28 PM7/13/22
Per reports: "There's a few players involved in this Carolina-San Jose trade that's in the works, not just Burns"

googz

Jul 13, 2022, 1:31:53 PM7/13/22
Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
Sharks-Hurricanes trade:

Brent Burns and Lane Pederson for Steven Lorentz, goalie prospect Eetu Makiniemi and a conditional 2023 3rd-round pick. Sharks are retaining 33 percent of Burns contract.
@TSNHockey @TheAthletic

Basically, the Sharks getting nothing but $5.5M cap savings. Pederson for Lorentz ...who cares. Yet another goalie prospect that will likely not pan out, and a measly 3rd-round pick.

Could be either a sign that they're looking for a $3-4M 1-year contract RFA OR they're going to use the cap savings to sign Meier.

Mr. T

Jul 13, 2022, 1:59:20 PM7/13/22
With Lorentz clearly Grier wants to be a bigger tougher team to play against. The goalie is actually pretty interesting but we'll see.

In the end, yes, they shed one of the huge albatross contracts. Getting out from under any of them is a win to some degree, even though they have to take one on the chin

tack

Jul 13, 2022, 6:19:52 PM7/13/22
Jettisoning Burns and getting Oskar Lindblom is a plus any way one looks at it, his health issues aside. To rebuild they need to get younger, dump salaries and stir the pot a lot.

googz

Jul 13, 2022, 8:38:25 PM7/13/22
agreed, but why did they sign Benning? Has the same +/- as Vlasic

Mr. T

Jul 15, 2022, 12:02:09 PM7/15/22
Some of the moves are head-scratchers. But clearly Grier wants to be a big bruising team to play against in the next few years, possibly tanking for guaranteed top 10 picks.

tack

Jul 15, 2022, 2:23:23 PM7/15/22
When one looks how long the runway is to rebuild, they still have players they should dump for picks, e.g., Couture, Hertl, Karlsson. Th best timme to do this, of course, is at the trade deadline, when hopeful pretenders overpay for fantasies of competing for a Cup. There's no reason to try to stay "respectable." Burn it down, and rebuild, a la Colorado.