The day has come

Mr. T

Apr 7, 2022, 8:08:56 PM4/7/22

Mr. T

Apr 7, 2022, 8:13:08 PM4/7/22
On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:08:56 PM UTC-7, Mr. T wrote:
> https://www.nhl.com/news/doug-wilson-steps-down-as-san-jose-gm/c-332731486

Although there are already signs they will hire someone based on their ridiculous fantasy of being a decent hockey team right now:

"Our foot is on the gas here. Our intention is to win," Will said. "We're a competitive team, we have the guys in the room to do it and we're pushing forward, not to take any steps back and say it's a whatever year plan or whatever. No, it's to go and win and that's what we intend on doing with the candidates who come forward is we will look at them based on that, how they come into the organization. They're going to have a vision. They're going to have a lot of great things to offer within there. But it's moving forward with this philosophy to win hockey games, get to the playoffs and take this franchise to the next level."

Phantom

Apr 8, 2022, 12:00:23 AM4/8/22
On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:08:56 PM UTC-7, Mr. T wrote:
> https://www.nhl.com/news/doug-wilson-steps-down-as-san-jose-gm/c-332731486

I'd cheer, but I gave up hope a long time ago. Is he really too sick to continue?

poldy

Apr 8, 2022, 2:43:48 PM4/8/22
They're currently #11 in the draft positioning.

Not good enough for playoffs and not bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

googz

Apr 8, 2022, 3:03:05 PM4/8/22
I would assume so. Regardless of our opinions about his tenure, I hope he recovers.

will be interesting to see who they bring in and also what the sharks will do to address cap space this summer if they don't find a new GM in time.

tack

Apr 11, 2022, 6:42:14 PM4/11/22
They could hire a Lou Lamoriello in his prime, and it wouldn't matter because the situation with contracts and denuded draft picks is irremediable, except by the passage of time, painful time.

Mr. T

Apr 12, 2022, 3:00:13 PM4/12/22
I feel like the org needed to get DW out, so as to stop trading away the future. They are as you point out, painted into quite a corner for a few years. That very well might limit the quality of GM they might be able to attract. Maybe it simply boils down to how much money they are willing to burn on buyouts.

googz

Apr 13, 2022, 11:33:09 AM4/13/22
buyouts are the likely way. Another possibility is a three-way trade involving a draft pick to eat some salary. Vlasic, I'm sure, wouldn't mind moving to his native Montreal.

I could see a scenario where EK65 gets frustrated enough with this team that he demands a trade. Again, who would take his salary.

As you all say, whoever does come in will inherit a mess.