GM search

Mr. T

Jun 30, 2022, 12:53:11 PM6/30/22

tack

Jun 30, 2022, 4:51:48 PM6/30/22
On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 12:53:11 PM UTC-4, Mr. T wrote:
> https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-ray-whitney-mike-grier-gm-finalists/

Well, if that report is accurate, as pc as the Sharks are, do we even have to guess?

tack

Jul 1, 2022, 3:00:02 PM7/1/22
Boughner fired. Gosh, why didn't he make the playoffs with that stellar crew that DW assembled?

tack

Jul 5, 2022, 9:16:13 AM7/5/22
Regarding GM, as predicted.

Mr. T

Jul 5, 2022, 12:50:45 PM7/5/22
It's concerning that they grabbed at every Shark re-tread player to bring back, seemingly, a la Marleau. And now their GM search also was narrowed down to 2 former Sharks with no GM experience. What is the magic of all these retreads? Do they want someone that has drunk the kool-aide or what?

We'll see. It's a given that player-wise that Grier's hands are tied for years to come. The one and only defining characteristic of this GM will be whether or not that person has and uses the real power to clean out the scouting and management positions, which apparently are full of bureaucratic cancer types, including DW Jr.

tack

Jul 5, 2022, 8:48:00 PM7/5/22
When ownership is without knowledge of hockey and thinks and behaves like most bureaucratic, pc corporations, these days, none of this is surprising. It would take an astute, experienced, determined and aggressive GM to deal with the calamity of difficulties the Sharks face, but, instead, we get a neophyte, who, of course, will be given the benefit of every doubt and be immune to criticism, for obvious reasons. The outlook for hockey in San Jose would appear to be anything but promising.

Roy

Jul 6, 2022, 3:26:55 PM7/6/22
On 7/5/2022 5:47 PM, tack wrote:

> When ownership is without knowledge of hockey and thinks and behaves like most bureaucratic, pc corporations, these days, none of this is surprising. It would take an astute, experienced, determined and aggressive GM to deal with the calamity of difficulties the Sharks face, but, instead, we get a neophyte, who, of course, will be given the benefit of every doubt and be immune to criticism, for obvious reasons. The outlook for hockey in San Jose would appear to be anything but promising.

Why would "an astute, experienced, determined and aggressive GM" even
come to SJ? If someone matching those attributes were to come, I would
be highly suspicious of his qualifications. I wonder how many prospects
they contacted who either turned down the interview or responded "no Way".

Grier seems an OK choice with experience as a player, coach, and in
front office roles.

He also has family members that are active in team management roles
albeit NFL.

Some big decisions coming up: head coach, staff, and the draft.

tack

Jul 6, 2022, 5:43:34 PM7/6/22
You're probably right. Nobody wants to climb into that hole, especially when they consider Plattner. We'll see how it goes.