The Future

tack

May 1, 2022, 12:06:49 PM5/1/22
Well, another season mercifully ends. Unfortunately, the future looks no better.

I read that Kevin Weekes is a top candidate for GM. Have no idea whether this has any veracity nor why he'd be a good pick. Obviously, they have to hire somebody. Anybody heard any other rumors?

With DW retiring, then being unable to attend the planned ceremony honoring him, he must have something really serious going on. Hockey aside, hope, for his and his family's sake, he recovers from whatever ails him.

OK, on to summer....

Roy

May 2, 2022, 1:08:26 AM5/2/22
Another important fact. DW isn't on the committee to find his
replacement. Could be a lot of reasons and bad health is one of them

googz

May 2, 2022, 12:04:45 PM5/2/22
sad to see Dougie go this way. hope he recovers

I watched some of the locker room clean-out interviews. Vlasic's comments epitomized the state of the organization as a whole. i.e "Delusional"
https://www.nhl.com/sharks/video/locker-clean-out-430-vlasic/t-277437430/c-11560022

Mr. T

May 2, 2022, 2:49:33 PM5/2/22
Mercury News had an article https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mercurynews.com%2F2022%2F04%2F08%2Fwho-fits-as-the-sharks-next-gm-here-are-some-potential-candidates%2F

Hope Wilson recovers. Wouldn't wish ill on him yet it was time for him to go.

It's frustrating that they didn't fire him. Frustrating that they haven't said the right things that show they recognize how bad things are. They keep talking about re-tooling, and being competitive soon. And even worse, ownership has said the next GM won't rebuild.

But with all the frustration it's probably just words. What can they do? Really not much. So will they be buyers or sellers? They will be "do-nothings", because Wilson painted them into a corner, and it will be at least a few years before the paint dries. They don't really have much to sell. But as long as they keep picks they can try to work out of this mess in the most efficient way possible.

It is still critical to get the right GM ASAP though, to stop the bleeding. The Hill acquisition was stupidity. Arguably the Hertl deal too. So they were still doing dumb shit up until the end. I say "they" because obviously it's impossible to know just exactly who has been making the decisions. So I'm trying to accept the language this is couched in, but we'll see how much power the new GM is given. That will be critical. While the GM's hands will be tied with DW's baggage for a few years, that person needs to have the power to clean house of all the DW Jr. front office, and the coaching staff, if it is deemed necessary.

poldy

May 2, 2022, 3:19:52 PM5/2/22
Sharks have #11 pick.

They ended the season on a 3 game losing streak but only have 3% odds of
winning the lottery.

They really need to bottom out first before they can hope to contend at
the top levels?

At least that's how it works in the NBA, which also has a draft lottery.
Hit on one or two all-star level players at the top of the draft and
you can turn around a franchise.

How often in the NHL draft do players selected in the teens become
perennial all stars?

--
Serenity Now!

tack

May 2, 2022, 3:57:14 PM5/2/22

tack

May 2, 2022, 4:02:41 PM5/2/22
The Sharks have always been crippled by an ignorant non-hockey ownership and the endless attempts to pander to fans that they obviously think incapable of recognizing reality. It's almost as if they think that if they just mouth the right words, the fandom will nod their heads reflexively and signup for more pabulum. But, as attendance is sagging, and will sag more, they'd realize that a dose of reality is needed.

The problem, as you stated and we all know, is that any GM is painted into an inescapable corner and will need several (3-5) years of slow, painful rebuilding in order to assemble anything that appears to be Cup worthy of mention. And, that's if he makes all the right moves and doesn't screw up.

We all knew this was coming, and now we're three years into increasing horror that isn't about to end.

Mr. T

May 2, 2022, 5:16:11 PM5/2/22
The odds for each pick are not great. There are very few sure things so it helps to be at the very bottom as you note. But in the aggregate, you need to find a few really good players every 4 or 5 years. Going back 7 years, they got Meier, and Ferraro was a big win. Then you've got like Ryan Merkley, who I think is an average top 4 guy, no great shakes, and then you fall into the likes of Gregor.

So again, new GM should be allowed to clear out all the scouting and drafting crew, lead by DW Jr., who have failed for years now.