Which will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup?

Stephane Larochelle

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
Hello all hockey fans,

Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
I will post the results In the first week of September. May
the best Canadian team win...

Who will it be?

Montreal Canadiens...
Ottawa Senators...
Toronto Maple Leafs...
Winnipeg Jets...
Edmonton Oilers...
Calgary Flames...
Vancouver Canucks...

The choice is yours! The names of who voted for whom will also
be posted, so no cheating! 1 vote per user...

Thanks in advance

jll...@magi.com

Patrick Hynes

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95

The Vancouver Canucks, but if we have to wait five more years, it will be
the Montreal Canadiens, 'cause they win every seven years!

--

Patrick Hynes
O Z P U B L I S H I N G & C O N S U L T I N G C O .

Petar Nikic

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
Vancouver Canucks!!!!!!!!!!

Nebojsa

Catherine A. Mori

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
to jll...@magi.com

Dear Stephane,

I think that the Vancouver Canucks will be the next Canadian team to
win the Cup. I think the acquisition of Mogilny and Ridley will help.
However, their chances will be even greater if they can acquire a marquee
defenceman(e.g. Bruce Driver).

Mike Mori

Kostadis Roussos

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
"Patrick" == Patrick Hynes <phy...@interlog.com> writes:

In article <phynes-0608...@phynes.interlog.com> phy...@interlog.com (Patrick Hynes) writes:

> The Vancouver Canucks, but if we have to wait five more years, it
> will be the Montreal Canadiens, 'cause they win every seven years!

Not to be nit picky, but if you really believe in superstitions the
Habs will win next year.
They won in
46,56,66,76, AND 86

cheers,
kostadis

2 legit 2 quit

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
If Canucks can get a well-known defenceman, it will have a chance to get
into the final. If not, none of the canadian team will win the next
stanley cup.
Ottawa - Too young.
Edmonton and Winnipeg - Their peaks are OVER.
Calgary - Lost too many skillful players and need some time to work with
the new coach.
Toronto - They have not improved. That means, they will on the same
level as the last year - quick exit on the first round.
Montreal - They have lost their confidence for a long time and it will
still exist on next season. (The players are good, but that
confident stuff cost them a lot.)

If Denver get Ranford or Joseph from Edmonton, they will be a great team
and Canuck will have to face a great team that they haven't faced before.
Also, be careful of St. Louis. They are doing something horrible and
they are seeking to win the cup. (I hope they are always seeking but
never succeed.)

Hiew Roger Tse Wei

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
2 legit 2 quit (cwo...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: If Canucks can get a well-known defenceman, it will have a chance to get

I don't think St. Louis will be much of a threat to anyone next year.
Unloading Shanahan for Pronger, that's is a good move for the future but
certainly not a good move if Keenan wants the cup soon. Hull is not going
to lead the club. He has never and will never. Watch last year's playoff
if you want proof. CuJo is gone and St. Louis has nothing but a bunch of
old goalies. Acquiring G. Courtnall for 2.2 Millino US is certainly
retarded.

gla...@ibm.net

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95

Tim Lamb

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
gla...@ibm.net wrote:
>Vancouver: will not win the Cup, because Mogilny chokes in the playoffs. I am
>a Sabres fan, and the Mogilny trade will help the Sabes.

Vancouver will never win, and when they lose, they will destroy the city!

>Edmonton: fear the Oil! Glen Sather is a genius, and the Oilers will make the
>playoffs next year and will be in the Stanley Cup in 4. They will be the next
>Canadian team to win.

Very well said. The Oilers will be in the finals within 3 years

>Calgary: when have these guys won a playoff series?
Perennial good team, but just can`t come out for the playoffs.

>Winnipeg: will not even make the playoffs

I don`t know. I think if Selanne is healthy (and a Jet!) they have
a good chance

>Toronto: getting too old. Plus, Dave Andreychuk is a negative.

I must agree. Need some injection of youth. Their future
holds "rebuilding years".

>Montreal: in spite of their history, they are a really poor team. Turgeon will
>have a wonderful regular season, but the Habs will flounder in the playoffs.

Can you ever count out the Habbies? Like what some guy said before in
this thread, they have won in 46,56,66,76.86. 96?

>Jefferson Glapski

gla...@ibm.net

Rohan Nageswaran

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950806...@kits.sfu.ca>, 2 legit 2 quit <cwo...@sfu.ca> writes:
|> If Canucks can get a well-known defenceman, it will have a chance to get
|> into the final. If not, none of the canadian team will win the next
|> stanley cup.
|> Ottawa - Too young.

They have some promising young players and some second rate veterans so
I wouldn't say that age is their primary problem.

|> Edmonton and Winnipeg - Their peaks are OVER.

What ARE you talking about? They haven't even begun yet. Especially Edmonton.
These guys are too young if anybody is.

|> If Denver get Ranford or Joseph from Edmonton, they will be a great team

So will Edmonton. If Denver trades for either goalie, they aren't going to
come for free - not by a long shot.

----- Rohan

Standup kinda guy

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <KOSTADIS.9...@kostadis.engr.sgi.com> kost...@kostadis.engr.sgi.com (Kostadis Roussos) writes:
>From: kost...@kostadis.engr.sgi.com (Kostadis Roussos)
>Subject: Re: Which will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup?
>Date: 06 Aug 1995 23:29:56 GMT

>cheers,
>kostadis

Yikes!!! That's right!. Well then, throw every prediction out the window,
bring out the ouija board and the tarot cards. It's the
Canucks and the Habs in the final. Pavel Bure will be
kidnapped by a group of teenage girls, Alexander Mogilny
will break his other leg, Trevor Linden will be kidnapped
by a band of native indians protesting that GM Place
was built over a sacred burial ground, and Kirk Mclean
quits hockey to go into throughbred horse racing full-time.
Meanwhile, the MVP line scores every second shift, Saku
Koivu and Turner Stevenson play like madmen, and Patrick
Roy stands on his head. The Habs win in four straight. That's
what the tea leaves say.

Standup kinda guy

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <DCwHA...@magi.com> Stephane Larochelle <jll...@magi.com> writes:
>From: Stephane Larochelle <jll...@magi.com>
>Subject: Which will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup?
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 17:44:40 GMT

>Hello all hockey fans,

> Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
>the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
>be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
>maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
>I will post the results In the first week of September. May
>the best Canadian team win...

>Who will it be?

>Montreal Canadiens...
>Ottawa Senators...
>Toronto Maple Leafs...
>Winnipeg Jets...
>Edmonton Oilers...
>Calgary Flames...
>Vancouver Canucks...

>The choice is yours! The names of who voted for whom will also
>be posted, so no cheating! 1 vote per user...

>Thanks in advance

1. Vancouver: obviously, the best team on paper. Great team
speed with four of the fastest players in the league (Bure, Mogilny,
R. Courtnall, and Bret Hedican) First 3 lines look solid. One of the
best goalies in the league in Kirk Mclean. Jeff Brown and Jyrkki Lumme
anchor the defence. Only questions are toughness on defence and lack
of size and grit up front.

2. Calgary: despite contract hassles with several important
free agents, still a good team. Defence is solid with
ZZ, Patrick, Housley, Chiasson. Losing Joel Otto to Philly
will hurt, especially on defensive zone faceoffs where Otto
was virtually unbeatable. If Fleury and Nieuwendyk sign, will
still contend.

3. Toronto: Gilmour, Andreychuk, Gartner, Murphy, Macoun, Ellett
are key players over 32. If Sundin can do it in the playoffs (he didn't
get too many chances in Quebec) and Potvin pulls a rabbit out
his face mask, then they have a chance. Third and fourth liners
have to contribute.

4. Montreal: MVP line and Patrick Roy. Anything else?

5. Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa bringing up the rear.

So it was said and so it was written.

Hiew Roger Tse Wei

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
gla...@ibm.net wrote:
: Vancouver: will not win the Cup, because Mogilny chokes in the playoffs. I am

: a Sabres fan, and the Mogilny trade will help the Sabes.

well, aren't we being bias??? Jumping on Mogliny's bandwagon when he was
scoring like hell...and now that he's traded, you guys start bitching
about him. Well, Mogilny will definitely make you eat shit next year.

Rohan Nageswaran

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95

Vancouver rules on the wings but they are still weak up the middle despite
snagging Ridley. Your right though, they appear to be the strongest
talent wise anyways.

|> 2. Calgary: despite contract hassles with several important
|> free agents, still a good team. Defence is solid with
|> ZZ, Patrick, Housley, Chiasson. Losing Joel Otto to Philly
|> will hurt, especially on defensive zone faceoffs where Otto
|> was virtually unbeatable. If Fleury and Nieuwendyk sign, will
|> still contend.

Defence is NOT solid. Mobile yes, excellent shooting yes, capable
of rushing the puck yes but far from solid. San Jose showed that
in the worst possible way. Also, this is another team that is hurting
at center. Otto is gone, Reichel is close to being gone and
Nieuwendyk has been trade bait for years. This is potentially a team
in shambles.

|> 3. Toronto: Gilmour, Andreychuk, Gartner, Murphy, Macoun, Ellett
|> are key players over 32. If Sundin can do it in the playoffs (he didn't
|> get too many chances in Quebec) and Potvin pulls a rabbit out
|> his face mask, then they have a chance. Third and fourth liners
|> have to contribute.

In other words, their best players (with the exception of Sundin) are old
and fading. Unless Gilmour comes back hard, Gartner scores his usual 30
and Murphy keeps the candle burning (which is what you appear to be
assuming) they're heading for the fan's hell commonly known as rebuilding.

|> 4. Montreal: MVP line and Patrick Roy. Anything else?

Nope. Not much else. (Unless Vlad Malakhov steps up and plays the way
everyone thinks he can).

|> 5. Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa bringing up the rear.

Ottawa is Spam on ice.
Edmonton has been cranking out top notch rookies
the past two years and with Bonsignore, Lindgren, Smyth and Satan coming
in this year and Kelly on the way they don't look like they're close
to stopping the trend.

The defence is weak but with Ranford and Cujo as bargaining leverage
that will likely change.

The cup? Definitely not next year, probably not the year after,
potentially the year after that and looking really good from their on.

Winnepeg has one of the best lines in the NHL (Selanne, Zhamnov, Tchachuk).
They also have Drake, Emerson, Steen, Shannon and Manson playing sub-par.
The defence sucks royally.

I think Vancouver has the best shot right now and but I think Edmonton will
be their before the rest in a few years.

Actually, the dearth of immediately cup capable, Canadian owned teams
is kind of depressing.

|> So it was said and so it was written.

and so it shall be done.

----- Rohan

Stephen L. Legge

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In article <404rt7$6...@bert.compusmart.ab.ca>,
Tim Lamb <tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>>Toronto: getting too old. Plus, Dave Andreychuk is a negative.
>

>I must agree. Need some injection of youth.

You guys are both nuts. A 6'3" 220lbs winger who is unmovable from the front
of the net, who consistently scores 40-50 goals, and scored over 50 in 2 of
the past 3 years and currently holds the record for most points by a Leaf left
winger in a single season (at 99) -- is a *negative*? Wake up.

Stephen LEAFS Legge
SLE...@cs.mun.ca
St. John's, NF Canada

John Sutherland

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95

: gla...@ibm.net wrote:
: >Vancouver: will not win the Cup, because Mogilny chokes in the playoffs. I am
: >a Sabres fan, and the Mogilny trade will help the Sabes.

: Vancouver will never win, and when they lose, they will destroy the city!

I'm a Flames fan, however, I think that the young potential in
the Canucks should make some teams pretty scared this year. (That is if
they can ever overcome that prima donna attitude that is so prevalent not
only among the Canuckleheads, but also in the Flames)

: >Edmonton: fear the Oil! Glen Sather is a genius, and the Oilers will make the
: >playoffs next year and will be in the Stanley Cup in 4. They will be the next
: >Canadian team to win.

: Very well said. The Oilers will be in the finals within 3 years

Yeah, whatever. They have said they are rebuilding for what, the
last 5 years now? (After their '90 Cup) When are they ever going to put
it together? Never. Just when they start to get some talent and some
things going, they'll either have a coaching problem, or Peter Puck will
trade away his team and his soul to save Burns.

: >Calgary: when have these guys won a playoff series?
: Perennial good team, but just can`t come out for the playoffs.

I agree with both points unfortunately. I'm going out on a limb
here, but watch for the Flames to win a playoff round this year! Perhaps
in the next few they can work on the second round.

: >Winnipeg: will not even make the playoffs

: I don`t know. I think if Selanne is healthy (and a Jet!) they have
: a good chance

Not enough guns, not enough fan support, and not enough drive.
need I say more?

: >Toronto: getting too old. Plus, Dave Andreychuk is a negative.

: I must agree. Need some injection of youth. Their future
: holds "rebuilding years".

I agree. What with Andreychuk and the child molester in their
twilight years, it will be a while before they see the inside of a
Championship game again.

: >Montreal: in spite of their history, they are a really poor team. Turgeon will

: >have a wonderful regular season, but the Habs will flounder in the playoffs.

: Can you ever count out the Habbies? Like what some guy said before in

: this thread, they have won in 46,56,66,76.86. 96?

Only fools and youth count out the Habs. I never would.

Hold on boys, what about the Sens? :)

Drew

+ +
+ "Humility is for those who can't carry off +
+ arrogance successfully!" +
+ +
+ -Drew Sutherland +
+ <jsut...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> +
+ +

Earl Sibley

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95

>> Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
>>the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
>>be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
>>maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
>>I will post the results In the first week of September. May
>>the best Canadian team win...

Didn't the author of this note ask that all responses be mailed to him
directly so that he could post the results later?

You're wisdom as probably being wasted here. Mail it to him directly so your
vote will count (and my news reader screen won't fill up so quickly) :).

earl.

Tim Lamb

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
to pwgs...@mindlink.ca
pwgs...@mindlink.ca (Standup kinda guy) wrote:
>In article <DCwHA...@magi.com> Stephane Larochelle <jll...@magi.com> writes:

>1. Vancouver: obviously, the best team on paper. Great team
>speed with four of the fastest players in the league (Bure, Mogilny,
>R. Courtnall, and Bret Hedican) First 3 lines look solid. One of the
>best goalies in the league in Kirk Mclean. Jeff Brown and Jyrkki Lumme
>anchor the defence. Only questions are toughness on defence and lack
>of size and grit up front.

Oh come on! The Canucks the best on paper? What have you been smoking?
Maybe the Bure line will rack up a lot of points, but what is the
chance that they will both make it to the playoffs uninjured? Not very
good! And I am sure these russians play good defense too right? I
think we all agree that defense wins the cup. Kirk Mclean is far from the
best goalie in the league! Even Winnipeg looks better on paper than
Vancouver. And I think we all know the Oilers will be cup champs again
by `98!

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

J. W. Wells]

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
John Sutherland (jsut...@gpu1.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
> Tim Lamb (tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:

> : >Montreal: in spite of their history, they are a really poor team. Turgeon will
> : >have a wonderful regular season, but the Habs will flounder in the playoffs.

> : Can you ever count out the Habbies? Like what some guy said before in
> : this thread, they have won in 46,56,66,76.86. 96?
> Only fools and youth count out the Habs. I never would.

and the Leafs won the Cup everytime, there was 48-game sched.
Traditions were broken and they will continue to be. The Habs won't
win the Cup this year...but stranger things have happened, just look
at 1993.

> Hold on boys, what about the Sens? :)

I'll gamble and say they make the playoffs this year.

J. W.

John W. Wells III
2nd Year History Student NUG Representative
Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Email addresses: jww...@chat.carleton.ca,an...@freenet.carleton.ca
aa...@freenet.toronto.on.ca aq...@freenet.buffalo.edu
ey...@freenet.cleveland.edu ab...@detroit.freenet.org
aw...@freenet.hsc.colorado.edu uq...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca
71603...@compuserve.com
WWW: http://chat.carleton.ca/~jwwells
or: http://freenet.buffalo.edu/~aq234
Kurt Cobain is alive and well and working in a 7-11 in Courtice, Ont.

Hiew Roger Tse Wei

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
[...]

Which planet are you from bud??? Kirk McLean is far from the best goalie
in the league???? He may not be the best but certainly one of the best.
Just watch the 1993-94 playoffs (obviously you are either in another
planet screwing around or something). Winnipeg looks better?? Sure they
have 3 very talented players but they will soon have to trade away 1 or 2
of them simply because they don't have enough cash to keep them. Another
thing, sure you may say defence wins the cup, but the oilers prove that
in the 80's that offence can also win the cup.

David Yong

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Tim Lamb <tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>pwgs...@mindlink.ca (Standup kinda guy) wrote:
>>In article <DCwHA...@magi.com> Stephane Larochelle <jll...@magi.com> writes:

>Oh come on! The Canucks the best on paper? What have you been smoking?

Wow! I can't believe you're saying this seeing you're from Alberta.
The Canucks are by far the best Canadian team on paper. Whether
they win the Cup or not is a different matter.

>Maybe the Bure line will rack up a lot of points, but what is the
>chance that they will both make it to the playoffs uninjured? Not very
>good!

Pavel Bure has never missed a playoff game. Mogilny missed one
playoff series, the year he had that freakish accident against the
Habs.

>And I am sure these russians play good defense too right?
>I think we all agree that defense wins the cup.

Yes defense wins cups. But someone has to scrore the goals.
And Vancouver has two of the best in that department. You
should know this seeing that you're an Edmonton fan.

>Kirk Mclean is far from the
>best goalie in the league! Even Winnipeg looks better on paper than
>Vancouver.

You are definitely out of it on this one. Kirk Mclean is one of the
best goalies in the league. You obviously were on another
planet two years ago when he took the Canucks to the finals.
Wiinipeg has one good line and crap for defense and goaltending.

>And I think we all know the Oilers will be cup champs again
>by `98!

No, I don't think so.
Unless the Oilers get a new building or a new owner, Slats will
continue to trade high price talent for draft picks or promising young
players. Peter Pocklington is way down the NHL ladder when it comes to
personal wealth. The McCaws on the other hand are filthy rich and they
control GM Place. When does Jason Arnott's contract expire?

Tim Lamb

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
to hro...@unixg.ubc.ca

>Which planet are you from bud??? Kirk McLean is far from the best goalie
>in the league???? He may not be the best but certainly one of the best.
>Just watch the 1993-94 playoffs (obviously you are either in another
>planet screwing around or something). Winnipeg looks better?? Sure they
>have 3 very talented players but they will soon have to trade away 1 or 2
>of them simply because they don't have enough cash to keep them. Another
>thing, sure you may say defence wins the cup, but the oilers prove that
>in the 80's that offence can also win the cup.

Lets just assume that Kirk Mclean is one of the best in the league.
So what? Almost every team in the league has "one of the best goalies
in the league!" Every team overrates his own goalie, and thinks he
is one of the best. Kirk Mclean is a good goalie, but just barely (if
even)
in the top 10. I don`t think that IF Vancouver is to win, there best
asset will be Mclean. So judging Vancouver`s chances on a mediocre
goalie will not work.

It is like I said earlier, there is NO way that both members of the
"overpaid russian line" will make it injure-free to the playoffs.

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Andy Backa

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Well, everyone else is contributing, so here's my thoughts. I'm also
ranking the teams from best to worse for the next three years - just for
the heck of it.

Calgary Flames(6)
- Can't see it. Otto was huge, and will be missed. Kidd and Muzzatti
are solid, but they really need some defensive-minded d-men. Down the
middle will be their main offensive problem. If Stillman can produce up
there like he did down in Saint John, then maybe they'll hang around a
bit longer. But I don't think Page is an improvement from King. What
the Flames really needed was to put Page in for Risebrough(sorry about
the spelling).

Edmonton Oilers(1)
- I've always had great respect for Sather as a GM. I figure they'll
have as good of shot as any if Vancouver (see below) doesn't fluke one
out this year. The only problem I see is if both Ranford and Casey
leave, then they'll be weak in the net, and nobody will win if they're
weak there. I'm putting my money here, since I can't see Vancouver
putting it together this year. It'll be 1996-97 at the earliest before
they get their names on the mug, however.

Ottawa Senators(3)
- My choice as the most improved team in the NHL this year (not that they
have far to go in that department). Duchene will take the pressure off
of Beddard, and Daigle and Yashin will get better since they'll have
someone on the bluelines helping some. Bonk needs to improve a ton,
though. And their goalies are 2-3 years away. I'm picking them so high
based on the fact that I'm guessing that the trap will be gone with the
proposed changes, and the Senators are a quick team.

Montreal Canadiens(7)
I realize this will truely piss off the Habs fans among us, but after
seeing the Habs this year, plus their farm team in Fredericton, I doubt
it if they'll make the playoffs this year. They've hollowed out the
defense corps and have gotten some strictly offensive players. They'll
score more this year, but Roy will be facing many more shots. Savard
will be gone before too long.

Toronto Maple Leafs(5)
- Too damn old. Felix and Rhodes will be fine in the nets for some time,
but they are weak up front, especially on the wings, and the help on the
farm is some time away. I expect Cliff to make some trades, but a couple
years of stocking the farm is what's really needed, not continuously
trading them or letting them go.

Vancouver Canucks(2)
Now I like Pat Quinn, at least until he got Ridley from the Leafs, but I
think getting Mogilny is only going to work for one, maybe two years.
The problem with Vancouver is going to be egos, and paying for them. If
Vancouver gets any kind of chemistry, then they have the ability to beat
any team on any given night, but I sincerely doubt it. If the choice was
to pick the Canadian team most likely to win it next year, then Vancouver
would have been my choice.

Winnipeg Jets(4)
Everyone talks about the big three, but the Jets also have a great
supporting cast, with Drake, Eastwood, Manson, Shannon and Quintal.
Their problem is in the nets and the constant debate as to where they'll
be playing next year. They'll be very improved next year.

Andy Backa | The only skills I have the patience to learn are those
b9...@unb.ca | that have no real application in life.
| - Calvin and Hobbes

Jason Kurylo

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95

-> |> >Who will it be?
-> |>
-> |> >Montreal Canadiens...

the maroons'll win another cup before these guys... of course, i said that
in '93, too... and '86, too... you know, they've apparently never gone
more than seven seasons in a row without a cup? by that margin, the rest
of these teams have 'til the turn of the century to win one...

-> |> >Ottawa Senators...

whatever...

-> |> >Toronto Maple Leafs...

sorry; felix is gonna have to move to get a ring. dougie's just lost his
magic, he's just another _good_ player now...
not only that, but the core has dwindled. sorry mats, but you're no wendel
clark. andreychuk needs a heart transplant, and nikolai borchevsky's still
hurting from a vicious taunting incident at the hands of brian leetch last
season...

-> |> >Winnipeg Jets...

um, nope.

-> |> >Edmonton Oilers...

i've always hated the oilers, even when they were the best thing on ice...
it sooooooo pissed me off when bill ranford single-handedly beat the
bruins in the finals that year... oh well, billy'll have to settle for the
one ring, i guess... the dynasty is over and dead forever.

-> |> >Calgary Flames...

always good, never good enough. i'm glad they got their cup in '89 (?),
because the organization'll never be able to train these malcontents to
win again. w/out guys like joel otto, a 100-point man in theo just isn't
enough...

-> |> >Vancouver Canucks...

it's the easiest pick of the bunch. they've got all the pieces, except
one major one: a great coach.

Vancouver has the offensive firepower, a pretty good defense, spectacular
goaltending, and they've got that precious runner-up year under their belt
from tow playoffs ago. they say you need to make the finals (or come close
to it) and lose before you can win the whole shebang... these guys have
been there, and almost beat a FAR better Ranger team...

Whatever the fate of these 'Nucks, we can all look forward to a fabulous
showdown between them, the Wings, the Hawks, the (blech) 'Lanche, and the
Blues... Wow, do the campbell conference playoffs look good already, or
what?

--
Jason Kurylo
Head Poser

Nightmare Scenario #21: You're beamed onto the set of Star Trek: Deep
Space Nine, where you're forced to watch Rene Auberjonois act.
For eternity.

Jason Kurylo

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In article <40b14m$k...@rover.ucs.ualberta.ca>, Tim Lamb
<tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
-> Lets just assume that Kirk Mclean is one of the best in the league.
-> So what? Almost every team in the league has "one of the best goalies
-> in the league!" Every team overrates his own goalie, and thinks he
-> is one of the best. Kirk Mclean is a good goalie, but just barely (if
-> even)
-> in the top 10. I don`t think that IF Vancouver is to win, there best
-> asset will be Mclean. So judging Vancouver`s chances on a mediocre
-> goalie will not work.

hey tim, mr. blind-to-anything-but-an-oiler-resurgence...

your comments about mclean are completely unfounded. i'll admit that
ranford is a brilliant backstop,
but kirk has shown time and time again that in big games, he's as good or
better than anyone...

perhaps you weren't able to watch him make a miraculous stop against mr.
reichel in game seven overtime against
calgary two years ago because you were crying in your non-playoff
contender plastic oiler slurpee cup?

or perhaps you missed his 55-save shutout of the Habs, when the montreal
crowd gave him a standing O, and the
Gazetter heralded the performance as one "as good as, if not better than,
any game Dryden ever played."

or, my friend, maybe you weren't able to receive the transmission up there
in edmonton, when he single handedly beat
the Rangers in game one of the finals a little while ago?

other than Patrick Roy (not bad company, huh?), Kirk has more overtime
playoff wins than any other goaltender over the
past three years. Add that to being a force in the dressing room and a
huge member of the community, and Kirk is
surely in the top three tenders in the league.

thanks anyway for your "educated" response... have fun cheering for your
oilers, okay? just make sure you don't wear clean
clothes, 'cos they drip. lots.

Andy Backa

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
> >Edmonton Oilers(1)
> >- I've always had great respect for Sather as a GM. I figure they'll
> >have as good of shot as any if Vancouver (see below) doesn't fluke one
> >out this year. The only problem I see is if both Ranford and Casey
> >leave, then they'll be weak in the net, and nobody will win if they're
> >weak there. I'm putting my money here, since I can't see Vancouver
> >putting it together this year. It'll be 1996-97 at the earliest before
> >they get their names on the mug, however.
>

> The Oilers have Casey? How did they get him? You mean Joseph!!
> I do agree with you, in 2 years, the Oilers will be the best Canadian
> team. I think the Flames will be the best this year in Canada,
> and the I am not sure the year after that. But I am confident that
> in three years the Oilers will be back to where they belong: the best
> in the league.
>

> Tim Lamb
> http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

I apologize for the error. I was, of course, referring to Cujo. Casey,
as I recall, resigned with the Blues. Sorry about that.

Tim Lamb

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
to b9...@unb.ca

>Edmonton Oilers(1)
>- I've always had great respect for Sather as a GM. I figure they'll
>have as good of shot as any if Vancouver (see below) doesn't fluke one
>out this year. The only problem I see is if both Ranford and Casey
>leave, then they'll be weak in the net, and nobody will win if they're
>weak there. I'm putting my money here, since I can't see Vancouver
>putting it together this year. It'll be 1996-97 at the earliest before
>they get their names on the mug, however.

The Oilers have Casey? How did they get him? You mean Joseph!!
I do agree with you, in 2 years, the Oilers will be the best Canadian
team. I think the Flames will be the best this year in Canada,
and the I am not sure the year after that. But I am confident that
in three years the Oilers will be back to where they belong: the best
in the league.

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Tony Bergen

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
On 8 Aug 1995, John Sutherland wrote:

> Tim Lamb (tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
>
> : >Winnipeg: will not even make the playoffs
>
> : I don`t know. I think if Selanne is healthy (and a Jet!) they have
> : a good chance
>
> Not enough guns, not enough fan support, and not enough drive.
> need I say more?

What the hell are you talking about!?

Not enough guns: Winnipeg had 3 players in the top 20 in scoring and had
the 3rd overall (A. Zhamnov). Plus, the forwards also include good
players such as Nelson Emerson and Igor Korolev. Not enough guns theory
is nuts!

Not enough fan support: The fan support is as good or better than almost
all the other Canadian cities for the population.

Not enough drive: I can agree with this. It was a coaching problem, but
that seemd to turn around when the coaching change was made late in the
season.

Other things that caused the Jets downfall last season and would keep
them from winning the cup are the following:

No defence: The defence is in bad shape and the Jets aren't going
anywhere until changes are made.

Uncertainty of the future of the team in Winnipeg: The players say it
doesn't concern them, but it does affect their play (see: Minnesota North
Stars).

Tony

* Anthony D. Bergen abe...@freenet.mb.ca *
* *
* Assistant Chair of Technical Operations Committee and *
* Member of Information Content Committee *
* Blue Sky Community Networks of Manitoba, Inc. *

Tony Bergen

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Stephane Larochelle wrote:

> Hello all hockey fans,

> Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
> the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
> be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
> maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
> I will post the results In the first week of September. May
> the best Canadian team win...
>

> Who will it be?
>
> Montreal Canadiens...
> Ottawa Senators...
> Toronto Maple Leafs...
> Winnipeg Jets...
> Edmonton Oilers...
> Calgary Flames...
> Vancouver Canucks...
>
> The choice is yours! The names of who voted for whom will also
> be posted, so no cheating! 1 vote per user...

Being a true Jet fan, of course I hope it will be them. It just depends
on how the whole thing about them staying or going plays out the next few
months.

If it is still a question, the team will be bad. If the team is staying,
they will have a good season, and if they get their defence together,
they will have a good shot at going all the way. (believe it or not). I
still say the Jets have one of the most solid groups of forwards of any
team in the league, their defence is umong the worst, which is why they
have been so bad the last 2 seasons.

If I had to vote right now, I would have to say Vancouver is the most likely.

Tim Lamb

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
to b9...@unb.ca

>I apologize for the error. I was, of course, referring to Cujo. Casey,
>as I recall, resigned with the Blues. Sorry about that.

No need to apologize! With all the shuffling in the NHL these days,
it is hard to keep the players straight. Especially when it comes
to the Oilers!

Rohan Nageswaran

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In article <jkurylo-1008...@van03076.direct.ca>, jku...@direct.ca (Jason Kurylo) writes:

|> -> |> >Who will it be?

|> -> |> >Edmonton Oilers...

|> i've always hated the oilers, even when they were the best thing on ice...
|> it sooooooo pissed me off when bill ranford single-handedly beat the
|> bruins in the finals that year...

No one cares if you've always hated the Oilers. In fact it mitigates your
arguments against them. Re: The '90 Cup Final, what the hell were you
watching. What game were you watching?

The Oilers SPANKED the Bruins in overall team play. They
matched them defensively and then let their offensive depth take over.

Jari Kurri's 5 point night in game 2 had nothing to do with Ranford.

|> oh well, billy'll have to settle for the
|> one ring, i guess... the dynasty is over and dead forever.

Wishful thinking on your part.

|> -> |> >Vancouver Canucks...
|>
|> it's the easiest pick of the bunch. they've got all the pieces, except
|> one major one: a great coach.

And an all too noticeable lack of premier centermen. They should have
jumped all over Dale Hawerchuk. Unfortunately the "team-of-milk-and-honey"
(St. Louis) flashed too much green as usual.

|> Vancouver has the offensive firepower, a pretty good defense, spectacular
|> goaltending, and they've got that precious runner-up year under their belt
|> from tow playoffs ago. they say you need to make the finals (or come close
|> to it) and lose before you can win the whole shebang... these guys have
|> been there, and almost beat a FAR better Ranger team...

Yup. Messier owned the Canucks faceoff-wise. It looks like you were
watching THIS final.

----- Rohan

DBumbarger

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
gla...@ibm.net wrote:
: Vancouver: will not win the Cup, because Mogilny chokes in the playoffs.
I am
: a Sabres fan, and the Mogilny trade will help the Sabes.

Is it really possible to count on a player choking in the playoffs?

Asif Rashid

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.95081...@winnie.freenet.mb.ca> Tony Bergen <abe...@freenet.mb.ca> writes:
>From: Tony Bergen <abe...@freenet.mb.ca>
>Subject: Re: Which will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup?
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 11:41:31 -0500

>On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Stephane Larochelle wrote:

>> Hello all hockey fans,
>>
>> Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
>> the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
>> be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
>> maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
>> I will post the results In the first week of September. May
>> the best Canadian team win...
>>
>> Who will it be?
>>
>> Montreal Canadiens...
>> Ottawa Senators...
>> Toronto Maple Leafs...
>> Winnipeg Jets...
>> Edmonton Oilers...
>> Calgary Flames...
>> Vancouver Canucks...
>>
>> The choice is yours! The names of who voted for whom will also
>> be posted, so no cheating! 1 vote per user...

The Habs....

Last season was a shame. I sympathize with the Canadiens, having
such an overnight idiot for a GM. How the hell does someone trade away the
Heart and Soul of his team (Kirk Muller) for a stiff board (Pierre
Turgeon). Giving away a premier defenseman like Eric Desjardins is the next
worst move Savard made (remember the Canada Cup '91?). Poor Patrick Roy...
his best defensive help is gone. Without a franchise-type defenseman and a
true leader, Montreal won't see the cup until 2002 (if the seven-year trend
holds true in the future.

The Senators....

"Hey, I've got a great idea, why don't we pay an unproven player
more money that he's possible worth???"
Daigle has not lived up to expectations, Yashin is unhappy, Bonk
just bonked out. Don Beaupre is a plus (hurray for Waterloo!) and Darrin
Maedley has the potential to be a great one...with a good defensive core,
though. Ottawa lacks defense, and as the Devils have shown everybody,
defense is the key. Too bad Sens...Maybe when the management gets back to
reality (a decade perhaps?).

The Leafs....

I have the utmost respect for this team. They have the potential to
be Stanley Cup champs. The Cat has proven himself to be an outstanding
goalie in any time of the year, and Rhodes can pick up the slack without any
problem. True, Dougie had a mediocre season but remember that the season
was an unusual one at that. He got pushed around but no more thanks to his
new intensive weight training program. I didn't agree with Fletch's Ridley
move, that will be a negative for the Leafs. If the Leafs can
acquire a good grinder and defenseman then they will be better this season.
Fletch's a dynamic GM, he brought the Leafs out of the cellar in 2 years, it
won't be long before he's built the championship mix.

The Jets....

I never liked the Jets, nor will I ever, but I don't want to see
them leave Winnipeg. That would be an atrosity. Anyways...
The Jets need to resign Selanne and Tkachuk (if they haven't
already) and get rid of a washed up Cheveldae for someone more consistent
between the pipes. Getting rid of Mike Smith was a major bonus for the
Jets. The Jets seem to have everything but a goalie. If they can get that
then they will contend, but not for 3-5 years.

The Oilers....

I hate the Oilers, but give them the benefit of the doubt...Peter
"the Cheapskate" Pocklington. Sather will always be a great GM, and has
proved he can build winners twice (the dynasty years and in 1990). But in
this day and age, money is the key to victory in sports...Sather can't do
Jack-all without it. Too many good ones have left Edmonton because of
money. I'm not saying that's fine, it's not; players are getting greedy,
but unfortunately that's sports. Getting Cujo was an astute move, a good
barganing chip to use either Ranford or Cujo as trade bait. But the main
move that the Oilers need to make is their owner (impossible, I know!).
This team will not win unless their financial situation is improved...that
might require a team re-location (let's hope it's not Minnesota).

The Flames...

I will make no secret that the Flames are my favorite team. But I
will be the first to admit that they have some flaws. Losing Otto is going
to hurt. I always believed that he should have been made Captain after
Lanny retired. Reichel departure depleted Calgary's Centreman department.
So first the Flames need to acquire a tough centre. More importantly,
Fleury and Nieuwendyk need to be re-signed, especially Fleury. Without
Theo, Calgary would have no heart. A healthy Roberts will be a plus.
Kidder's coming along fine, he'll join the ranks of the NHL elite
Goaltenders within two years (if he's not considered to be already).
Tabaracci is a fine backup capable of supporting Kidd when needed. The
departure of Trefilov is great (damn slacker!). From what I know of Cory
Stillman, he should develop into a Doug Gilmour (yessssssssss!). The new
coaching staff will be a major bonus. The strengths and weaknesses of
Denver will be no secret to Page since he helped build the core of the
former Nords. The main drawback of Calgary is their GM, Riser "the Prick".
But maybe Page was brought in to take over Riser's job next year (we can
only hope!). If all goes well for the Flames, they'll contend as soon as
next year (yes it's true!!). Calgary has the desire to be Stanley Cup
champs, just as much as any other contending team. They will be the next
Canadian team to win (unless the Canucks pull off a miracle).

The Canucks....

The acquisition of Mogilny will no doubt striike fear into the
Pacific Division. The Mogilny-Ridley-Bure line will be the best in the
league. Then why don't I feel that Vancouver's got the right stuff to win
it all. Rick Ley is no stellar coach...the team fizzled out under control.
Pat Quinn should take on the coaching duties again if he wants the 'Nucks to
contend. Kirk MacLean, hmmmmm........yes, he is one of the best in the NHL,
but he has inconsistent streaks in him (remember 1990?) and his backup Kay
Whitmore (a.k.a. the defensive blue line five-holer by Ray Borque) is no
help at all if MacLean should falter.
The main beef I have with Vancouver is not their talents, it's their
lack of heart. Yes, there's that word again! The Oilers won their five
cups with both talent and ample character with the likes of Messier, Coffey,
Gretzky, etc. Montreal has always had a strong foundation at the captaincy
with Carbonneau and Muller. Calgary had Lanny, Peplinski, and (dare I say)
Risebrough. Pittsburgh had SuperMario, Ron Francis, and the ever-popular
Bryan Trottier. The Devils had John MacLean, Scott Stevens and Claude
Lemieux. So tell me, who does Vancouver have that can compare with the
likes of those fine leaders? Trevor Linden, yes, but the Canucks continue
to screw him by favouring the empty shell Bure. This rift will only hurt
the Canucks.
On paper, Vancouver wins the cup. But in reality, they don't. It's
as simple as that.

'Sif
Asif Rashid
Cliche-Boy says,"Sorry I'm late
but better late than never!!"
...Whose Line is it Anyways?

Tim Lamb

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
to jku...@direct.ca

and Kirk is
>surely in the top three tenders in the league.

Ya, OKAY!!!
Goaltenders who are WAY better than Mclean:
Roy, Potvin, Brodeur, Hasek, Ranford, Cujo, Belfour, Richter, and
maybe even Barrasso. I will say again what I have said before:
Mclean may be in the top 10, but just barely!

>thanks anyway for your "educated" response... have fun cheering for your
>oilers, okay? just make sure you don't wear clean
>clothes, 'cos they drip. lots.

WHAT? Sorry buddy, in 1 year, when the Oilers are back on top,
and the Canucks have to trade one of their overpaid russians, then
we`ll see who will be dripping!

>--
>Jason Kurylo
>Head Poser
>F MagZine
>

>Nightmare Scenario #21: You're beamed onto the set of Star Trek: Deep
>Space Nine, where you're forced to watch Rene Auberjonois act.
>For eternity.

Or Nightmare Scenario #22. Your forced to watch the Canuck fans
destroy the city as the Canucks lose again!
Sorry, but in the next few years, BOTH Albertan teams will be top
of the Western Conference, while the Canucks go back to
mediocracy!

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Hiew Roger Tse Wei

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
Tim Lamb (tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:

: and Kirk is

: >surely in the top three tenders in the league.

: Ya, OKAY!!!
: Goaltenders who are WAY better than Mclean:
: Roy, Potvin, Brodeur, Hasek, Ranford, Cujo, Belfour, Richter, and
: maybe even Barrasso. I will say again what I have said before:
: Mclean may be in the top 10, but just barely!

WAY BETTER...you must be crazy...If Cujo is better than McLean, why did
he play like shit during last year's playoff? How about Potvin, he lost
the battle to McLean...McLean may not be the best but he will certainly
provide the goaltending a teams need when comes to winning a stanley cup.

John Sutherland

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

: hro...@unixg.ubc.ca (Hiew Roger Tse Wei) wrote:
: >Tim Lamb (tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:

: >WAY BETTER...you must be crazy...If Cujo is better than McLean, why did

: >he play like shit during last year's playoff? How about Potvin, he lost
: >the battle to McLean...McLean may not be the best but he will certainly
: >provide the goaltending a teams need when comes to winning a stanley cup.

: And how many cups does Mclean have?...

Sorry man, but the average of your Top Ten goalies is less than
one per tender. 7 Cups for ten guys. Seems that your 'how-many-Cups'
rhetoric is just that. Have to agree with the guy, McLean will stand on his
head and eat a bug if he thought it'd keep a goal out.

Tim Lamb

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
to hro...@unixg.ubc.ca
hro...@unixg.ubc.ca (Hiew Roger Tse Wei) wrote:
>Tim Lamb (tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
>

>WAY BETTER...you must be crazy...If Cujo is better than McLean, why did
>he play like shit during last year's playoff? How about Potvin, he lost
>the battle to McLean...McLean may not be the best but he will certainly
>provide the goaltending a teams need when comes to winning a stanley cup.

And how many cups does Mclean have?...

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Gilles Cazelais

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <40gmch$b...@rover.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

Tim Lamb <tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

> and Kirk is
>>surely in the top three tenders in the league.
>
>Ya, OKAY!!!
>Goaltenders who are WAY better than Mclean:
^^^^^

>Roy, Potvin, Brodeur, Hasek, Ranford, Cujo, Belfour, Richter, and
>maybe even Barrasso. I will say again what I have said before:
>Mclean may be in the top 10, but just barely!

You must be joking! If not it is pretty obvious you've never watched
McLean play on a regular basis. McLean is in the same category as all
the goalies you've mentioned. But be serious he is way ahead of Barrasso.

--
Gilles Cazelais

Gilles Cazelais

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <40gt17$1a...@rover.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

What is that suppose to mean? Are you judging a player by how many cups
he has? Would you put Rejean Houle (who has 5 cups) in front of Marcel
Dionne or Ray Bourque? :-)

Come on, McLean took his team to the seventh game of the final by playing
brilliantly. He should deserve more respect.
--
Gilles Cazelais

western aquatic research facility

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
to caze...@math.ubc.ca
caze...@math.ubc.ca (Gilles Cazelais) wrote:
>In article <40gmch$b...@rover.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

>Tim Lamb <tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>>
>> and Kirk is
>>>surely in the top three tenders in the league.
>>

>You must be joking! If not it is pretty obvious you've never watched
>McLean play on a regular basis. McLean is in the same category as all
>the goalies you've mentioned. But be serious he is way ahead of Barrasso.
>
>--
>Gilles Cazelais

Okay, okay. After being attacked with a pile of mail from Canuck fans,
I will retract my original statement.
I have come to the conclusion that Mclean is probably in the top
5, BUT he is not better than Ranford!!!! That is as far as I go!

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/
please direct hate mail to tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca, and
not wa...@mail.compusmart.ab.ca.

Verne Beck

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Tim Lamb <tim...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>hro...@unixg.ubc.ca (Hiew Roger Tse Wei) wrote:

>>WAY BETTER...you must be crazy...If Cujo is better than McLean, why did
>>he play like shit during last year's playoff? How about Potvin, he lost
>>the battle to McLean...McLean may not be the best but he will certainly
>>provide the goaltending a teams need when comes to winning a stanley cup.

>And how many cups does Mclean have?...

>Tim Lamb
>http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Hey Oilslick,
Look to your previous post's list of goalies, and tell us that all of
them have rings and/or trips to the finals! And even those that did
win rings were not picked as playoff MVPs. McLean would have had a 1
in 3 chance of the MVP in '94 (in his finals appearance), and that
certainly says something!

P.S. Put a pan under your easyboy rocker.

| Verne Beck | CANUCK SuperFAN |
Waiting for the CUP!

Tim Lamb

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95

It is when it comes to Mogilny!!

Tim Lamb
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/warf/

Patrick Hynes

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95

> sorry; felix is gonna have to move to get a ring. dougie's just lost his
> magic, he's just another _good_ player now...
> not only that, but the core has dwindled. sorry mats, but you're no wendel
> clark. andreychuk needs a heart transplant, and nikolai borchevsky's still
> hurting from a vicious taunting incident at the hands of brian leetch last
> season...

Borshevsky was traded to the Calgary Flames last season, so I wouldn't
factor him into the Maple Leafs chances...

> -> |> >Winnipeg Jets...
>
> um, nope.
>

> -> |> >Edmonton Oilers...
>
> i've always hated the oilers, even when they were the best thing on ice...
> it sooooooo pissed me off when bill ranford single-handedly beat the

> bruins in the finals that year... oh well, billy'll have to settle for the

> one ring, i guess... the dynasty is over and dead forever.

With all of their talent, I would peg them as the next Canadian team to win.

--

Patrick Hynes
O Z P U B L I S H I N G & C O N S U L T I N G C O .
phy...@interlog.com
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

S.M.P.

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
ro...@flip.eecs.umich.edu (Rohan Nageswaran) wrote:

>In article <jkurylo-1008...@van03076.direct.ca>, jku...@direct.ca (Jason Kurylo) writes:

>|> i've always hated the oilers, even when they were the best thing on ice...
>|> it sooooooo pissed me off when bill ranford single-handedly beat the
>|> bruins in the finals that year...

>No one cares if you've always hated the Oilers.

Sorry Rohan, but I have actually been very concerned about Jason's
feelings regarding the Oilers, and I, for one, care deeply about
Jason's expression of anger issues that he currently has with this
team. It is important that Jason know that there are people out here
who DO care about his feelings.
respectfully,
S.

Patrick Hynes

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95

> Montreal Canadiens(7)
> I realize this will truely piss off the Habs fans among us, but after
> seeing the Habs this year, plus their farm team in Fredericton, I doubt
> it if they'll make the playoffs this year. They've hollowed out the
> defense corps and have gotten some strictly offensive players. They'll
> score more this year, but Roy will be facing many more shots. Savard
> will be gone before too long.

> Winnipeg Jets(4)

> Everyone talks about the big three, but the Jets also have a great
> supporting cast, with Drake, Eastwood, Manson, Shannon and Quintal.

Stephane Quintal was traded to the Montreal Canadiens on draft day for a
second round draft pick (Jason Doig). So I guess that weakens the Jets
supporting staff and improves the Habs hallowed out defensive corps!

> Their problem is in the nets and the constant debate as to where they'll
> be playing next year. They'll be very improved next year.

That is quite a comment to make, considering, as you say, they're
goaltending is awful and nobody knows where Keith Tkachuk and Teemuu
Selanne will play next season.

Goober27

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
Vancouver Canucks...

from the Goob

a1ri...@hotmail.com

Jul 7, 2018, 5:05:37 AM7/7/18
On Sunday, August 6, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Stephane Larochelle wrote:
> Hello all hockey fans,
>
> Here is your chance to voice you opinion before
> the season begins. Which of the seven Canadian teams will
> be the next to win the Stanley cup (next season? Season after?
> maybe longer...). Send your opinion to jll...@magi.com, and
> I will post the results In the first week of September. May
> the best Canadian team win...
>
> Who will it be?
>
> Montreal Canadiens...
> Ottawa Senators...
> Toronto Maple Leafs...
> Winnipeg Jets...
> Edmonton Oilers...
> Calgary Flames...
> Vancouver Canucks...
>
> The choice is yours! The names of who voted for whom will also
> be posted, so no cheating! 1 vote per user...
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> jll...@magi.com

lol...aint no canadian team winning until 2020 with bettman running the league